Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,385 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

How Can I Overcome Stage Fright - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can I Overcome Stage Fright (2576 Views)

Overcome Your Sexual Challenges With Samsu Oil For Men / How Do I Overcome This Deceit? / Help:how Do I Overcome This Emotional Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by zekki: 2:08pm On May 26, 2015
How can I overcome stage fright. Am working with a good company but find it difficulty to speak in public. though my English is not very good. I need to work on this before it is too late. thank u.
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by adanduka: 2:10pm On May 26, 2015
Just do it.

Yes, you can overcome it by embracing opportunities to address people.
You could start by voicing your opinions or asking questions in meetings.
If you're a Christian, join the ushering department or choir; exposure drives away timidity.
Read and read. If you don't have the confidence of Mama Peace and your English isn't on point, you may never feel up to expressing yourself and speaking in public.
You can!
Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by zekki: 2:18pm On May 26, 2015
i even find it difficulty to introduce myself in public functions. do I need a teacher to help me out?
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Nobody: 2:36pm On May 26, 2015
zekki:
i even find it difficulty to introduce myself in public functions. do I need a teacher to help me out?
Read motivational books, roll with friends and always be bold with your opinions. . You can join a society where you'll get some exposure. . If you're a Catholic, you can join lay readers, church wardens, etc just so you interact more with people. . Don't be scared of humans, they're just like you.They hv just one head like you.. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!! Other people are no better than you..

Start doing those stuffs you shy away from(hard right? but really have to), a trial will take a whole lot of the shyness away, then gradually you'll see yourself so confident. . So start doing those things now!!!

Even here on nl, be bold with your opinions irrespective of what anyone will say, that could help too...

All d best... smiley

1 Like

Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by zekki: 2:44pm On May 26, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Read motivational books, roll with friends and always be bold with your opinions. . You can join a society where you'll get some exposure. . If you're a Catholic, you can join lay readers, church wardens, etc just so you interact more with people. . Don't be scared of humans, they're just like you.They hv just one head like you.. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!! Other people are no better than you..

Start doing those stuffs you shy away from(hard right? but really have to), a trial will take a whole lot of the shyness away, then gradually you'll see yourself so confident. . So start doing those things now!!!

Even here on nl, be bold with your opinions irrespective of what anyone will say, that could help too...

All d best... smiley
Thank u.
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 26, 2015
zekki:
Thank u.
UW.. Start taking up the challenge and it will leave you gradually. .
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by raumdeuter: 3:00pm On May 26, 2015
Try alcohol for some Dutch confidence
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 26, 2015
raumdeuter:
Try alcohol for some Dutch confidence

Bad idea

1 Like

Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 26, 2015
zekki:
How can I overcome stage fright. Am working with a good company but find it difficulty to speak in public. though my English is not very good. I need to work on this before it is too late. thank u.

Stand Infront of a mirror and practice
Then speak to yourself and tell yourself that you can
The audience is made up of regular humans like you,you can do it!!

First time I was to speak in front of a large group of colleagues ,I was nervous as the day drew closer
I went to the exact hall on the Sunday prior and practiced my power point material with my hubby as the audience
He critiqued me sincerely,I was sad at some of the critics but he gave me tips and on what to of and how to say certain things and it was fabulous.

The first time is always tough but it gets easier

1 Like

Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by LadyX(f): 7:11pm On May 26, 2015
zekki:

I know one of your fears might be that you will make a mistake while speaking. Just remember no one is perfect, and practice makes perfect.

Like earlier posters have pointed out, you need to practice and be bold. You can start with your small group of friends. Give your opinion and contribute to the discussions. Don't fear or think about how they will view. You are on a mission: to develop confidence and public speaking skills.

With time you will be comfortable speaking in front of many people. Read to improve your English...from simple grammar rules to articles online.

All the best
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 26, 2015
try alcohol....if it works for me, it can work for u

1 Like

Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by controlG(m): 9:59pm On May 26, 2015
You need to pray to God, overcome your fears by reading books, speaking with friends..If u are to make a presentation in front of a crowd or church, u could start by saying..say something nice to your neighbour or something. Like.. it eases tension alot..
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Stillfire: 10:11pm On May 26, 2015
Practice, practice, practice. And also enroll for public speaking classes and elocution classes.
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 27, 2015
Fall in love and increase ur self confidence. Thank me latter
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 27, 2015
If your job is one that requires you to present, you're already on the right track. You have a push. Now all you have to do is let go of the fear. Understand that it's purely mental, and just...let it go.

Not sure how helpful this comes across, but though it isn't always easy, it really is that simple. Mind over matter.
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by zekki: 2:41pm On Jun 01, 2015
Thank you for your comments
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by benjibabs(m): 7:03pm On Jun 01, 2015
@ OP,

All you need is practice. There is no need for medication or binding the devil. grin

You are in luck as I have an excellent recommendation for you - TOASTMASTERS. Visit toastmasters.org and check if you have a club close to you. Below is an excerpt from the site. TM is the only club that I know that provides practical way of learning public speaking and leadership skills. TM has a high rate of success that is outstanding. I've seen a new member that could not even stand up and introduce herself on her first day start giving great speeches in a few months. I found TM when I switched over from the Info Tech world to management. smiley

==
Toastmasters International is a world leader in communication and leadership development. Our membership is 313,000 strong. Members improve their speaking and leadership skills by attending one of the 14,650 clubs in 126 countries that make up our global network of meeting locations.

The world needs leaders. Leaders head families, coach teams, run businesses and mentor others. These leaders must not only accomplish, they must communicate. By regularly giving speeches, gaining feedback, leading teams and guiding others to achieve their goals in a supportive atmosphere, leaders emerge from the Toastmasters program. Every Toastmasters journey begins with a single speech. During their journey, they learn to tell their stories. They listen and answer. They plan and lead. They give feedback—and accept it. Through our community of learners, they find their path to leadership.
==

If there is no TM around you, don't despair; again, all you need is practice. Look around for opportunity to speak in a group. For instance, when you attend meetings in your office, always contribute no matter how small. In your place of worship, take on roles that will offer you opportunity to speak in a small group. Is there any committee you can join at work? etc etc. Just practice! practice!! practice!!!

Let me know if you need more info as per TM.

Wish you the best as you discover that orator in you.

cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by KanwuliaJara: 10:03pm On Jun 01, 2015
You do not have stage fright.
You cannot get a good command of the English language late in life.
You have a complex, not stage fright! kiss

Solution?
Don't speak in PUBLIC! cry
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jun 07, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
You do not have stage fright. You cannot get a good command of the English language late in life. You have a complex, not stage fright! kiss
Solution? Don't speak in PUBLIC! cry
mummy, wat happened to ur former moniker?
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by KanwuliaJara: 6:09pm On Jun 07, 2015
sapiorxxual:
mummy, wat happened to ur former moniker?

My Preeeeeeecious?
THEY STOLE IT!!!!!!

Dem BYTCHES!!!! grin
Banned! For TOTO exposure! cool
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by EfemenaXY: 8:43pm On Jun 07, 2015
Stillfire:
Practice, practice, practice. And also enroll for public speaking classes and elocution classes.

Do these really exist in Naija? Are they available? undecided

1 Like

Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by benjibabs(m): 1:29am On Jun 08, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Yes, check out toastmasters. The best I've come across so far. Don't expect classroom training, TM is a club where everything done during each meeting is targeted towards building public speaking and leadership skills. It a relaxed environment where you learn and catch fun.
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by onatisi(m): 8:05am On Jun 08, 2015
zekki:
there are 3 stages , the first is preparation , do this in ur room. Prepare ur points ,ur movement, visualize the whole world listening to you with rapt attentions and giving a standing ovation. Get ur materials ready. The second stage is just before been called on stage,this is usually the greatest fear,u will feel like running away, ur legs will start shaking and all u have practiced will fly away from ur brain. This is the decisive part,the moment u take one step forward towards the stage ,believe me ,u will start losing the fear gradually .it is then u will realize that the stage doesn't bite .u will start shedding ur fear as if they are rags clothing ,you will start having butterfly feelings in ur tummy . Now the third part is delivery, here all u have to realize is there is no going back and u have no choice ,just say to urself ,I am here and I am gonna say my rubbish whether they like it or not. The moment u open ur mouth ,the words will start coming out by itself . Secondly ,u can view ur audience as fools, dead or sleeping ppl which means they won't object or the best idea is to view the place as an empty space just as if u are in ur room when u were preparing, believe me by the time u spend 10minutes on stage you would have lost ur fear. Fear is only abstract it is never real.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by mutter(f): 8:57am On Jun 08, 2015
Imagine that the whole audience is sitting in their underwear. LOL
The best way is not to kick against it out accept it and realise that others have the same problem too.
I would address it openly to the audience and that way you lighten up the atmosphere and the audience cooperate by being more attentive and helping you out.
How do the help out. Well try speaking to an audience that is not focused, making noise or just staring at you without any positive feedback.
It would suffice if you say something like
- I am really nervous in front of such a large / prestigious gathering.
- I am honoured to speak to you today.
- Sorry, I am somewhat nervous

The first thing is to win your audience over by being honest about it and then they will help you along and motivate you.
With practise it gets better.
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by zekki: 11:42am On Jun 08, 2015
onatisi:
there are 3 stages , the first is preparation , do this in ur room. Prepare ur points ,ur movement, visualize the whole world listening to you with rapt attentions and giving a standing ovation. Get ur materials ready. The second stage is just before been called on stage,this is usually the greatest fear,u will feel like running away, ur legs will start shaking and all u have practiced will fly away from ur brain. This is the decisive part,the moment u take one step forward towards the stage ,believe me ,u will start losing the fear gradually .it is then u will realize that the stage doesn't bite .u will start shedding ur fear as if they are rags clothing ,you will start having butterfly feelings in ur tummy . Now the third part is delivery, here all u have to realize is there is no going back and u have no choice ,just say to urself ,I am here and I am gonna say my rubbish whether they like it or not. The moment u open ur mouth ,the words will start coming out by itself . Secondly ,u can view ur audience as fools, dead or sleeping ppl which means they won't object or the best idea is to view the place as an empty space just as if u are in ur room when u were preparing, believe me by the time u spend 10minutes on stage you would have lost ur fear. Fear is only abstract it is never real.
Thank you.
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by joywendy(f): 7:11pm On Jun 28, 2015
Stillfire:

mmmm.....how does one practice when there is no audience to train with? what if there is no money to enroll or one close by, What can this person do?
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Stillfire: 3:43pm On Jun 29, 2015
joywendy:

mmmm.....how does one practice when there is no audience to train with? what if there is no money to enroll or one close by, What can this person do?

An audience is really not needed to practice your speech. One of the problems of stage fright is not only the audience but the lack of adequate preparation for the speech. Rehearse your speech over and over again, and it will become natural to you. Your family members can be your audience if you really need one.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by Stillfire: 3:46pm On Jun 29, 2015
EfemenaXY:

I have no idea. But I would think that communication/journalism courses at Nigerian universities should have a class or two on public speaking.
Re: How Can I Overcome Stage Fright by joywendy(f): 7:25pm On Jul 01, 2015
Stillfire:

An audience is really not needed to practice your speech. One of the problems of stage fright is not only the audience but the lack of adequate preparation for the speech. Rehearse your speech over and over again, and it will become natural to you. Your family members can be your audience if you really need one.

Mmmm...Thanks. smiley

(1) (Reply)

My Girlfriend Left Me For A Tailor In Abuja / :) / Should Parents Decide Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.