Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,591 members, 7,823,575 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! (24608 Views)

How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan / Driving from the south east to the south west. / Anyone Here Got Tips For Someone Driving From Lagos To Abuja? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by emmkeffs(f): 6:20pm On Jul 10, 2016
I will advice you go to a transport companies relate with drivers that ply that route.

Secondly once you have used the car for more than 6months plus on Nigerian road, custom is not something to border about because your custom papers can be carried about in the first 6months of purchase after which its not a requirement.

Don't rely too much on the GPS. I once did on my to port Harcourt but met a river without bridge while the GPS says there is a bridge. I saw the back of my ear that day. Try and get the new tinted permit that's the only thing you should worry about. To make it snappy empower yourself with little denominations like 100#. When u approach any police check point put on a homely approach probably with pidgin. If you are lucky they will only ask you if there's anything for the boys

1 Like

Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Demrich(m): 6:24pm On Jul 10, 2016
Especially nite journey
Crown01:
Make sure all your papers are upto date and recent. You can navigate through okenne, Akugba Akoko to Akure then to Ibadan to Lagos. You have to be extremely carefule between Lokoja and Okene, Ibilo and the Akoko's because of the dangerous bends along this route. Ibilo to Akoko is know for bandits attack so be very careful. Safe trip
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by yakbauer: 6:30pm On Jul 10, 2016
Bros, first I don't think the new tint permit is an issue, I had mine done in March in abj and I've travelled a lot since then, but no one has asked me of it(i mean d new one) most of the cops aren't aware of the new tint permit. So what I do is leave d old one among my documents and but keep d new one handy, also go online and do ur tint permit reg. If you're stopped and eventually asked about it, u can show them d printout , tell em it's under processing.
Secondly I'll advise u take Abuja-Lokoja-Okene-Kabba-Ekiti-Akure-Ile Ife-Ibadan-Lagos. Coz d Lokoja-Obajana-Kabba route is terrible, also be fore warned the Lokoja-Okene Road that'll link u to Kabba is just as bad just a shorter distance of bad Road, Kogi roads dey tire person.
Better still get a phone charger handy, plugged to ur phone and map out ur route on Google map just to be safe. Most importantly neve hesitate to ask questions.
I think ur custom papers are ok for that model/year of car u intend to drive.
Have a safe trip if u eventually make d decision.
Cheers

1 Like

Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by holluwizzy: 6:30pm On Jul 10, 2016
Best option is to follow the commercial motorist and as you are following them make sure u ask question.

I drive Benin to Lagos and Benin to Abuja
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by phaulzoe(m): 6:38pm On Jul 10, 2016
hmmmm.... is better u go in the day rather than in the night
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by LockDown69(m): 6:41pm On Jul 10, 2016
grin
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Vince77(m): 6:41pm On Jul 10, 2016
Ymodulus:

Honda Civic Sport 2013. Automatic Transmission.

I just checked it out.

That's a beautiful car u have there.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by LockDown69(m): 6:41pm On Jul 10, 2016
grin safe journey.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 10, 2016
chiebube1:
I am planning to do Abuja to Lagos by road in a few weeks time. Please, i will need helpful suggestions on a) route to take: I have driven from Lagos to east severally but Lagos is farther.

b) state of the roads this rainy season.

c) effectiveness of new tinted permit on Nigerian roads cos i have the old tint permit.

d) Custom wahala. I have a custom papers. Paid about N187,500 for 2000 sienna in 2012.

Many thanks.

Best route: Lagos - Shagamu - Benin - Ekpoma - Okene - Lokoja Road. It's a bit farther though but you'll escape the traffic ridden Lagos Ibadan expressway 'cos of repair works; and the very bad Okene - Akure road. Goodluck.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Ymodulus: 6:44pm On Jul 10, 2016
AbuSaad39:
okay knowingfully now that this person's car doesn't have Google Map Bluetooth cos if it does he will not going to be asking for advice, so what should be the best advice for this person?

Naija people.
Sir your there is nothing like a car having a Google Map Bluetooth.

Google Map Bluetooth feature is on Google Map and not a car feature.
however Bluetooth is a car feature. If his car does not have enough a Bluetooth he can use Auxiliary cord. It's as simple as A - Z
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Ymodulus: 6:45pm On Jul 10, 2016
Fit2Rule:

Best route: Lagos - Shagamu - Benin - Ekpoma - Okene - Lokoja Road. It's a bit farther though but you'll escape the traffic ridden Lagos Ibadan expressway 'cos of repair works; and the very bad Okene - Akure road. Goodluck.
But benin, Auchi road is in bad shape. Too much Mud.

However ore - sagamu is very good.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by doe: 6:46pm On Jul 10, 2016
Just park at God is good motors and follow the Abuja motor.
Or else your best route is via ife, ondo ibiblo(auchi) then join express to lokoja and Abuja near okpilla.
Don't go via benin as the road from benin to auchi will destroy your car.
As for papers, either get up to date tint paper or hold enough pay to clear yourself.
Customs will not bother you except u dey very unlucky
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 10, 2016
Ymodulus:

Yeah. But I'll prefer it to the horrible state of Okene - Kabba - Akure.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by doe: 6:48pm On Jul 10, 2016
Fit2Rule:

Don't try this route. Benin auchi via ekpoma is hell to pass.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by fapcrook(m): 6:59pm On Jul 10, 2016
uncle005:
Which kind bad advice, i blow 140km/hr average speed from Benue to Ph today, i arrived before 10am.
140 is different from 180 uncle
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Qualer: 7:03pm On Jul 10, 2016
prettysolid:
You are a man there are not so many risks to you travelling alone, just dont pick strangers on the highway and make sure your car is in proper order. Also go to some transport companies ask questions and follow the route most of them use. so do it and gain that experience

Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by alabiyemmy(m): 7:09pm On Jul 10, 2016
chiebube1:
I am planning to do Abuja to Lagos by road in a few weeks time. Please, i will need helpful suggestions on a) route to take: I have driven from Lagos to east severally but Lagos is farther.

c) effectiveness of new tinted permit on Nigerian roads cos i have the old tint permit.

d) Custom wahala. I have a custom papers. Paid about N187,500 for 2000 sienna in 2012.

Many thanks.

Get a GARMIN GPS. Makes the job easier. Call Yemmy on 0703 694 9019 in Abuja.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by eemjay(f): 7:25pm On Jul 10, 2016
vodutive:

you don't have to comment, 1) the guy asked for helpful comments 2) he didn't ask for a route map because he can't read a map or doesn't know the way, he asked because of the perculiar nature of driving in Nigeria an the state of our roads 3) again if you have nothing useful to add just resist the urge to comment!!

Thank you!
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by stagger: 7:27pm On Jul 10, 2016
chiebube1:

Many thanks.

You are about to get yourself into a real mess with the bolded.

1 Like

Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by stagger: 7:31pm On Jul 10, 2016
Olayinkaoj:
Abuja- Lokoja-Okenne-Ibilo-Owo-Akure-Ibadan-Lagos. 10 hours minimum

Your best bet. About 12 hours because there are many police checkpoints on this road. When I drove back one of my imported vehicles, it was like every kilometer. A journey I started at 7 am ended at 10pm as I kept getting hounded for tinted permits at almost every stop. Even had to part with 2,500 to a SARS team in the middle of nowhere with heavy begging because I knew one of them.

Not a journey I would like to do again.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by chiebube1: 7:39pm On Jul 10, 2016
Thank you so much for all your advice. Very sincere responses are seriously appreciated. God bless you all richly.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by AntiWailer: 7:47pm On Jul 10, 2016
Ymodulus:
At Poster,

- I recently drove my car all way from Abuja to Lagos. Last week Tuesday to be precise.

- I left Abuja Tuesday evening around 3:45pm and got to lagos Wednesday morning 4:17am.

Things you should not do
● Do not ply the Lagos - Okene - Auchi - Benin - Ore Route. Though this seems to be the shortest route. You need to be warned that Auchi - Benin Road is a death Trap. I mean so very Bad.

● Ensure your car is not one of those low cars. I had my car rims changed from 15" to 17" with tyre of 225 pi.

● Ensure your shocks are good.

● Your drivingredients license and Custom documents and motor vehicle are all in other.

● If you have your car tinted and your permit is the old vehicle tinted permit, please have them off. you will bribe so much till you hate yourself.

Different Routes

● In last 3 weeks, I have driven from Lagos - Kwara, Lagos - Ekiti, Lagos - Minna, Lagos - Abuja road.

Lagos - Minna - Abuja is the best route, the bad road around the Jabba mokwa has been repaired. and just a few side is still in bad shape.
The lagos - Minna route is the longest, however the road is well tarred and you can run very fast. I ran 135kM/h through that route. I left lagos 9:48am and got to Minna 6:20 on the Dot. The next day I left for Abuja.

● Lagos - Ekiti - Obadana- Abuja.
This route is fairly okay, however road from Ilesa ipetu down to Ado ekiti, is not that good so you can run and might end up driving slowly. The Obajana Lokoja road is so bad. That you dI'd be scared of your vehicle.
However it's the fastest. From Lokoja to Abuja is just too sweet, one way. via Airport Nnamdi azikwe, shehu musa yaradua road.

Things To do
● Breaking Your journey half or 3- Quarter way.
If you know you haven't driven this long before I do advice you split the journey into two, except you know you can do it.

● Please ensure you break all N1000 notes into N100. Else by the time you start bribing. You will end up paying N20,000 as settlement fees.

●Road Safety: Ensure you have your fire extinguisher, Spare tyre, Driver license and C- Caution.
I learnt the hard way around Obajana route down to lokoja.

● If you are a force man, just put your jungle heart or cap on the dashboard of your vehicle. Them no born them well to stop you. I once carried a force man.

● When you are asked by any force on the route always tell them you are from a far place, for example from Abuja say Kano. They will have pity on you and not ask you stupid questions or try waste your time.

■■■ PLEASE and Please if your custom paper is invalid no travel with your car ooooooooooooooo. Na there you go no say trouble dei sleep yanga go wake am. wetin him dei find? Wahala u dei find. Wahala you get ooo

cc: chiebube1

Summary: Take the Abuja - Lokoja - Ekiti - Ile ife - Lagos Route.

OR

Abuja - Minna - Kwara - Osogbo - Lagos Route. ( This route is about an hour slow however. You are guaranteed of running on a good tarred road. )

OOO less i forget. Have an updated version of your Google Map.

Below is a picture, from Lagos - ABuja, was running 140km/h

[size=16pt]Note!!!

Because you be expert driver for abuja no mean say you sabi drive for Lagos ooo. If your car is new without scratches please and please no carry the car enter lagos. Else na serious scratch you go carry.

A moderate lagos driver is an Abuja expert driver, however the reverse is not the case.[/size]

Bros u get extra life ni ?

We need to let those asking for money know u go thru this stress .

Nice advice and on point.

How is your weekend going bro. Thanks for the other time.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by kinz17: 7:50pm On Jul 10, 2016
TrapQueen77:

When Americans bombed the Hiroshima, Japan. There was no GPS that time. They only checked the map and compass... angry

But u, u will only go to the next state but too many questions,, u don't have Google map app abi? Are u a foreigner to ur own land abi? ... Go take a bus so u won't get lost.

Chai....

I tire loop brother
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Deen77: 7:56pm On Jul 10, 2016
TrapQueen77:

When Americans bombed the Hiroshima, Japan. There was no GPS that time. They only checked the map and compass... angry

But u, u will only go to the next state but too many questions,, u don't have Google map app abi? Are u a foreigner to ur own land abi? ... Go take a bus so u won't get lost.

Chai....

Is not about Map, is asking for the best route (road) to lagos. Is better to follow lokoja pass trough Ekiti state and Ibadan to Lagos.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by makzeze: 7:58pm On Jul 10, 2016
zeberebe:
not everyone can read and understand map
he should learn how to read and understand it as per as he can post on nairaland.

cc: chiebube1
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 10, 2016
Ymodulus:
@Ymodulus. Do you not answer PMs?
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Nokio1: 8:10pm On Jul 10, 2016
Go to jabi park early morn do a convoy with any bus,make sure to check ur tyres.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Ymodulus: 8:23pm On Jul 10, 2016
AntiWailer:

Bros u get extra life ni ?

We need to let those asking for money know u go thru this stress .

Nice advice and on point.

How is your weekend going bro. Thanks for the other time.

Thanks bro.

hahaha. No extra life sir.

All just for the hutsle. Trying to make ends meet.

you welcome sir. just assisting way I can.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by hardbody: 8:35pm On Jul 10, 2016
chiebube1:

Many thanks.

I can only talk about c. The permit thingy has until July to come into effect. Sound convincing and they will let you go.

I have not driven abuja lagos but the road is better than going to the east which is more tortuous and longer because of the badness and accompanying traffic. You also have fewer police checks on the abuja lagos axis.

Observe all the regular road disciplines, you will be fine.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by hardbody: 8:36pm On Jul 10, 2016
Nokio1:
Go to jabi park early morn do a convoy with any bus,make sure to check ur tyres.

Those buses will forget him behind. For one thing police hardly stop the buses, that alone will create a gap. Try Google map.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by fixedhollies(m): 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2016
Be watchful around Kogi state.... Men with AK... Adviced to ply that area in d day time. From ondo state down to Ibadan and to lag are saver.... Safe trip.
Re: I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2016
chiebube1:

Many thanks.

Well if you will pass Akure maybe we could hook up and go together. 08062764199.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Iceland Tests ‘floating’ Zebra Crossing To Slow Down Speeding Drivers / These Are 10 Of The Most Expensive Car Parts To Repair & Replace / Take A Look At These Astonishing Car Artistic Colors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.