Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,150 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! (1452 Views)

“stop Listening To Nigerian Music” – Huddah Monroe Tells Other African Countries / Rare Throwback Photo Of Olamide Baddo / Fathia & Saidi Balogun's Children Are Grown Up Now (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by ecamzy: 9:41am On Jul 10, 2016
I do not have children of mine yet. But, it is better I start fighting for my unborn children since they say prevention is better than cure. I am not a moralist neither do I have the right to judge anyone, but this is a sincere appeal to Olamide, a.k.a Baddo, from a showbiz fanatic and writer.

I know Nigerians are in love with Olamide. I am aware that crucifying him is like crucifying the average people on the street. He represents the street, and his grass to grace story has given hope to many youths.

However, if he continues to sing what he sings, we may need to forbid his music in our houses. Failure to do so means children will continue to become adults quickly, as his lyrics, in most cases, expose them to things we find disturbing for their ears.

Have you taken time to pay attention to the lyrics of most of Olamide’s songs? If you have forgotten all, ‘Who U Epp,’ is still fresh.

Anyone who thinks I am witch hunting the singer or I don’t like his face or music, is wrong. I am possibly his biggest fan. I grew up in Bariga, Lagos, the same humble neigbourhood from where Olamide conquered the music industry. I have experienced the struggle he’s experienced and the state of hopelessness he’s experienced.

So, if sharing the same root is not enough to convince you that I mean well for him, you could as well visit the Internet to read the lyrics of ‘Who U Epp’ and digest them.

Before I had the opportunity of listening to ‘Who U Epp’, the song had become a national anthem of some sort. When I finally listened to it, I fell in love too. How he effortless turns simple things to songs is amazing.

The beauty of the song made many Nigerian artistes to make a version or cover of it.Wande Coal, Phyno, Lil Kesh, Mz Kiss, Chink Ekun and a host of others did different versions. But I noticed that Olamide was unnecessarily vulgar. I say unnecessarily because I believe he could do without some lines and still make sense with the song.

In ‘Who U Epp,’ he said something like, ‘Ye se frapapa, kilo gbena papa. Kini nkan na, kini toti lapa.’ This is the most lewd part I noted in the song.

For those who do not understand the Yoruba dialect, what he said was scornful of the female s*xuality. The exact translation of the words is not worthy of being put in print.

In as much as music has no limitation and there is freedom of speech, we should be aware that music is a viable tool for education. What we put out there has a way of influencing the people who listen to it, especially the young ones. When we say violence is okay, demeaning women is okay and alcoholism is okay, it has a way of affecting the society at large. I mean the mindset of people who are looking up to such singers.

Though ‘raunchy’ lyrics seem to have become Olamide’s signature and it is working for him, for the sake of our children, he should apply caution. In other words, he should start using his music to educate and inspire the young ones. He did it with a song like ‘Melo Melo’ and a few others. So, it is something he can do.

In a recent conversation with a leading gospel DJ in Nigeria, Afojeare Campbell, aka DJ Gospoeralla, he compared music with soccer. According to him, music that came out of Nigeria in the past, taught people about life and it was inspirational in a way.

He said, ‘The likes of Segun Odegbami and Muda Lawal played real football in Nigeria, but there was no money to take home. Jay Jay Okocha came and made all the money. It is similar with the music of today and then. Those who started it, produced music that one could relate with. But they didn’t make so much money. The younger ones are just making noise nowadays; we have been pushing for good music and family entertainment.’

What do you think Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by Flexherbal(m): 9:54am On Jul 10, 2016
Will he read this?
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 10, 2016
It's not only olamide that sings these lewd lyrics... majority of other Nigerian and even international artistes too. So it's up to you to monitor what your children listen to.
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by Julietcutie(f): 10:14am On Jul 10, 2016
ur right op... but I think you should post this on his instagram page or something but thumbs up
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by illswift(m): 10:25am On Jul 10, 2016
Nice post, but the best you can do is monitor what the children listen to... such kinda songs will always be in circulation
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by cruzita(f): 10:29am On Jul 10, 2016
u can take a man out of the street but can't take the street out of him
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by MidasTouche01(m): 10:33am On Jul 10, 2016
cruzita:
u can take a man out of the street but can't take the street out of him

FACT!!!
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 10, 2016
Abegi!
This thread should be for the likes of skally mental undecided
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by Favorite1: 11:02am On Jul 10, 2016
Thank God he has a son. He will not go unscathed. His "legacy" will precede him. It's no wonder he hardly goes in tours. His music is specific to a certain ethnicity.
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by DucheSsMerezz(f): 11:25am On Jul 10, 2016
IMO, all d artists are not left out in this... I know a bit of Igbo and Phyno actually was kinda crude in his lyrics in "Connect".. There are worse out there like small doctor and the rest.. So there is lil or nothing that can be done about it.. Even the foreign music you listen to,they all ain't left out,d only diff is that theirs is in some kindof fast English.. So just train your child well.. The only solution.
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by Amberon11: 12:05pm On Jul 10, 2016
Well I don't hear Yoruba neither do I listen to olamide.

I still respect Psquare and 2face. They never go vulgar.
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by iykekelvins(m): 12:11pm On Jul 10, 2016
Chaii
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by LesbianBoy(m): 12:12pm On Jul 10, 2016
That's why I *prefar* phyno alobam. He is igbo and by far better than agbero olamide

**Drops mic and walks out of thread**

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 10, 2016
pls clap for dis op
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by 0955eb027(m): 1:53pm On Jul 10, 2016
@op, very few of them will be left out if we start mentioning names. If you are talking about lyrics, what of the videos? Future wives almost baring it all cos they are making a music video. You have got to live with it, or better still stop your kids from listening to or watching videos. If Olamide does not do it, lots of others will. We wey dey enjoy am dey enjoy am.
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by SurefireFashion: 2:00pm On Jul 10, 2016
HHhhhhmmmmmmmm
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by Parollawd(m): 3:20pm On Jul 10, 2016
Fabulocity:
It's not only olamide that sings these lewd lyrics... majority of other Nigerian and even international artistes too. So it's up to you to monitor what your children listen to.

Are you serious?...so you will check your son phone to know the songs he listen to, pls follow him to school too and dont forget hangout with him and his friends...that way you know what they discuss and if you guys are strolling and maybe loud music is playing close his ear...lol
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by Parollawd(m): 3:23pm On Jul 10, 2016
op can i post this article on my blog....www.dsmblog.com
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by ecamzy: 3:53pm On Jul 10, 2016
Pls dont forget to give Credit to Us Emmanuel
Parollawd:
op can i post this article on my blog....www.dsmblog.com
Re: OPINION: Olamide Baddo, Please, Our Children Are Listening To Your Song! by Parollawd(m): 4:22pm On Jul 10, 2016
ecamzy:
Pls dont forget to give Credit to Us Emmanuel

no wahala

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Men Should Stop Sucking Their Wife’s Breast, It’s For Babies – Wale Oke / Oge Okoye Looks Stunning On Gold Outfit / Chris Brown Smashes Fan's Phone In Kenya (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.