Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,306 members, 7,839,486 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students (15224 Views)

OAU: The Most Beautiful Estate Among Nigerian Universities / 2016 Most Popular Careers Among Nigerian Students / Nigerian Institution With The Highest Yahoo Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by ugosonics: 6:40am On Jul 11, 2016
Wait let me ask Google first undecided
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Branzy(m): 6:41am On Jul 11, 2016
Warri their dad, come skul for for this side from abraka to auchi, ozoro, pti. Uniben ( thier pidgin be like correct English) .. No level south south till take it one. Ochuko bring one shot
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by overlord77: 6:45am On Jul 11, 2016
femolacqua:
It allows for a free flow of communication.

Are you telling that after Nursery school, 5-6years in primary school, another 6years in secondary that persons English communication still can't flow but just one month visit to USA or UK, next thing - Hey! Yo!

Jokers grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Akjr(m): 6:46am On Jul 11, 2016
evegran:
Because most of them can barely speak proper english and instead of them to endeavour working on their english, they're lazy and go with pidgin as a short-cut.

Sad!
i doubt u.... Dah aint truth.... Those who cnt speak r d 1c trying 2 force dem selves even... Babe na lie joor, som go fit writam bt to begin speak am nah work, som dei speak am bt to write am for paper nah anoda language entirly u go begin c for book.... So hwfa nah
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by canDy4eva(f): 6:48am On Jul 11, 2016
Personally I see it as a means to an end which is "d common man". If after all my plenty education I cnt relate to a common person in d society den my education is notin! D p I hv wit it is dat most peeps speak dis pidgin soootee e dey affect der normal English grammar n dem no fit express dem selves wen d need arises. As 4 me, goin both ways is very healthy n normal as a Nigerian student.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Akjr(m): 6:48am On Jul 11, 2016
Sasuwa:
Hausa more common
i doubt u.... Hausa x more common to those dah hears n grows in hausa land.... Dem no even too sabi speak pidgin.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by vwegbajoe(m): 6:48am On Jul 11, 2016
we have failed to recognize the fact that pidjin is a langauge on it own.abeg wentin dey happen?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by dynicks(m): 6:50am On Jul 11, 2016
cus its simply HOMEMADE....BORROWED things aren't urs....we simply patronizing what's OURZ
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by canDy4eva(f): 6:54am On Jul 11, 2016
olatunjithomas:

somebody give him a plate of small chops...and a bottle of PEPSI long throat.
no mind am, sha na pidgin him dey use communicate wit him lecturer!? Which kin easy communication b dat?
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by chadwickcollins(m): 6:56am On Jul 11, 2016
Pijin sweet pass english

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by StealthyMe(m): 6:57am On Jul 11, 2016
lonelydora:

Exactly. Lazy students. Scare of making mistakes.

*Scared* smiley

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by allytinted: 6:57am On Jul 11, 2016
Simple....Because its our unofficial language and we tend to express ourselves better with it without following any unlogical rule.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by repogirl(f): 6:57am On Jul 11, 2016
MEHN, I no know o.... for me, I no even know when I dey revert to Pidgin, e just dey commot for my mouth by insef.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Panudemaster: 6:57am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:
For some reason, I express myself better speaking in good English. I dislike pidgin because it kills the ability for usage of good English. Some are sweet to the hearing which are- Warri and Benin pidgin.

But

To me, Nothing like good polished English, I listen to your spoken English to determine your level of intelligence, More complex words/terms you know, More intelligent you tend to be.

Pidgin also kills the ability for writing good sentences without using shorthand, And for me, if I get to chat you up as a cute girl and you the type that uses short hand, it kills the vibe for you and you would no longer appeal to me anymore. In the case of a guy, I won't even keep up chat with you unless we talking very important issue.

Help me ask dis guy wetin him get or score for English in his WAEC, b4 he begin dey yarn rubbish....... shocked

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Okijajuju1(m): 6:58am On Jul 11, 2016
Because Quality Basic Education is scarce.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 11, 2016
The question should be why isn't it being taught in schools already, its our lingua franca
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by allytinted: 6:59am On Jul 11, 2016
Because we are told. to.patronize made in Naija and the best way to do that is to speak our home made language.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by repogirl(f): 7:01am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:
For some reason, I express myself better speaking in good English. I dislike pidgin because it kills the ability for usage of good English. Some are sweet to the hearing which are- Warri and Benin pidgin.

But

To me, Nothing like good polished English, I listen to your spoken English to determine your level of intelligence, More complex words/terms you know, More intelligent you tend to be.

Pidgin also kills the ability for writing good sentences without using shorthand, And for me, if I get to chat you up as a cute girl and you the type that uses short hand, it kills the vibe for you and you would no longer appeal to me anymore. In the case of a guy, I won't even keep up chat with you unless we talking very important issue.
na lie jare.

Speaking pidgin in no way impedes one's grammar, except one never knew the English language well in the first place.

It's like saying being able to converse fluently in one's native language impedes one's ability to also speak or write English. I am sure Soyinka, Achebe and the likes would grossly disagree.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Nobody: 7:01am On Jul 11, 2016
Even America has their own version of expression on street level... by the way who English epp!!

go to South Africa and speak English they will tag you a foreigner ..even in the offices

their white counterparts speaks Africans..
so immediately you speak English they will ask if you're an European or you're not proud of being an African
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by lonelydora: 7:02am On Jul 11, 2016
StealthyMe:

*Scared* smiley

Bro you know now? Auto correct is not helping me.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by BabaIbo: 7:02am On Jul 11, 2016
all these ppu wey dey form londoner here, no be say ppu wey dey speak pidgin lazy o buh it makes things easier....
there was a day I went to get something from the ministry... something happened on getting there, I never knew it was because of my queen's english... Guess what happened?
The woman in charge told me to come back d following week buh I decided to wait behind to find out why she didn't attend to me cos my informant told me hv done something she abhor maybe that's why she treated me dat way... bck to pidgin abeg, na later I from find out say na my grammar provoke her say I no even get manners, meaning say I suppose speak local for her.. imagine
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by royalfamily(m): 7:03am On Jul 11, 2016
femolacqua:
It allows for a free flow of communication.

U must really be a genius in understanding that aspect of GNS, communication in English.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Scorror442: 7:04am On Jul 11, 2016
I can explicitly put the blame on calabar people living in my hood, common English they can't speak but they can speak pigin from morning till night. So I gat no choice other than to join them speaking it, in as much as I can't isolate myself... Oh boi! Me too Don join them o,... Lol
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Elebiju: 7:04am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:

But

I'm not polished but I'm not a bad grammarian either, I used to be very fluent until 6yrs ago when I started speaking the commoners English, i had to retrace my steps and stop all communication in pidgin. I made up my mind never to get involved with anyone who adopts it as lingua franca and I think it helped me a lot, though I still post comments in pidgin if I want to throw jibes. My gf has been helpful too because she has a bad ear for pidgin.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by royalfamily(m): 7:06am On Jul 11, 2016
repogirl:
na lie jare.
Speaking pidgin in no way impedes one's grammar, except one never knew the English language well in the first place.

It's like saying being able to converse fluently in one's native language impedes one's ability to also speak or write English. I am sure Soyinka, Achebe and the likes would grossly disagree.

Tiri gbosa for u. . U spoketh my mind....some people sha. Then y ur dialect no affect ur ability to speak fluently.##Holdsomething#

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Spells(m): 7:09am On Jul 11, 2016
Pidgin swt die, e funny die and u fit colonbe from a to z any how wey u want.... Chai... Raskakimolo tell them now cheesy even tuface can testify to that
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by BabaIbo: 7:10am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:

But

na ppu like u go sabi write but can't speak or can speak but can't write... show me ur o'level first abeg o.. who english Epp sef?
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by dahunsy(f): 7:10am On Jul 11, 2016
Coughs*** clears throat# u can only give what u have
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by XCLUX(m): 7:12am On Jul 11, 2016
Think like a wise man, but speak in the language of the people.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by BabaIbo: 7:13am On Jul 11, 2016
lonelydora:

Bro you know now? Auto correct is not helping me.

na lie joor

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by millionboi(m): 7:13am On Jul 11, 2016
Emeonyerichard:
As a student i have come to notice that the use of pijin english is on the high side in most of our high institution .. Even myself can't deny the fact that i use it often both on chat or orally.. So the matter wey dy grand nw be y the thing common take over we student so much... No b say i dy critise am bcox fr my own side e make sense somehow so u my follow nairalanders hw una crry see am
because we ve realized dat grammar wudnt take u far BT gud rap o with ppl plus what u got upstairs...........abeg mek i go submit my assignment
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by allytinted: 7:13am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:

But

Bro , your spoken english does not determine your level of intelligence. Are you saying the Chinese, Japanese and some.other non English speaking countries with great inventions and scientist are unintelligent simply because they cant speak good english? This type of reasoning is the reason why Nigeria is where it is today.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photo: Jambites Protest In Benue / Unn Admission Status 2010/2011 Is Out, Check Yours Now: / Eastern Palm University To Offer Automatic Scholarship To Outstanding Jambites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.