Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,676 members, 7,837,502 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students (15219 Views)

OAU: The Most Beautiful Estate Among Nigerian Universities / 2016 Most Popular Careers Among Nigerian Students / Nigerian Institution With The Highest Yahoo Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by izufrancis(m): 8:21am On Jul 11, 2016
lonelydora:
Because students of nowadays are so lazy to learn. Always looking for short cuts.
Really? The problem with Us (Nigerians) is dat we tend to copy everything, have U ever thought of hw united d country wuld be if the official language was pidgin?..take a look at the 'world powers', Germany,Canada, USA, United Kingdom, Italy, Japan, France...nobody cares wat langauge they speak at international conferences because they can be interpreted. 1.when I was in schl I knew a bunch of student who wuld have done better in their studies if pidgin Language was Nigeria's offical language 2. Have U imagined that there was nothing like Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa...+ over 500 other languages in our dear country? Dat only pidgin Language existed as our official language.....For universal unity, the first basics is communicating, lookn at the G7 countries, they all have just 1 basic langauge..I hope 1 day we stop copying how they dress, talk among others and develop ours

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by izufrancis(m): 8:23am On Jul 11, 2016
Ebay14:
It should even be used by lecturers to teach.. Understanding will be easier.. Lol
God bless you
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by joedams: 8:25am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:
For some reason, I express myself better speaking in good English. I dislike pidgin because it kills the ability for usage of good English. Some are sweet to the hearing which are- Warri and Benin pidgin.

But

To me, Nothing like good polished English, I listen to your spoken English to determine your level of intelligence, More complex words/terms you know, More intelligent you tend to be.

Pidgin also kills the ability for writing good sentences without using shorthand, And for me, if I get to chat you up as a cute girl and you the type that uses short hand, it kills the vibe for you and you would no longer appeal to me anymore. In the case of a guy, I won't even keep up chat with you unless we talking very important issue.
Take heart bro
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Judeoxide(m): 8:31am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:
For some reason, I express myself better speaking in good English. I dislike pidgin because it kills the ability for usage of good English. Some are sweet to the hearing which are- Warri and Benin pidgin.

But

To me, Nothing like good polished English, I listen to your spoken English to determine your level of intelligence, More complex words/terms you know, More intelligent you tend to be.

Pidgin also kills the ability for writing good sentences without using shorthand, And for me, if I get to chat you up as a cute girl and you the type that uses short hand, it kills the vibe for you and you would no longer appeal to me anymore. In the case of a guy, I won't even keep up chat with you unless we talking very important issue.
English is just a language pls its not a measure of intelligence... its just a form of easy communication because the west rules many things...
France, Germany, Spain , Greece and all the non English speaking nations are far greater than the English speaking once... They are even responsible for the science improvement. No wonder why some word in in all the science subjects can't be translated...

Nigeria always looking for a way to feel among
Just imaging using our native language or pigin to teach science... Do you think there will be mass failure..

Do your research.. not many people fail there native language in waec but an outstanding amount fail english
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by blackprowler: 8:32am On Jul 11, 2016
It is because the Town has become the Gown. Typical of Nigeria, we've finally hollowed out the meaning of a university and brought it down to the level of the low-intellect masses of society. It also explain secret cultism violence and so so many others. You're now the one in trouble if you insist on speaking in English, because you're "forming". Nigeria is a joke. The forces of backwardness are the stronger ones. As you can see, those people have now graduated and are in the entertainment industry promoting their own idea of what's "cool" and swallowing up every impressionable mind that's desperate to be "cool"
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by eLcastro(m): 8:32am On Jul 11, 2016
9ja nd pretendin eh.,god4bid...nw wat is communication.? To speak nd the person u talkin to understand...Wahs the nid of speakin queens English nd the person u talkin to doesn't understand.....evn abroad boroughs.,nations stl hav their own....here we always makin it seem lyk cuz we speak pigin we inferior...anyway it has always been the black man mentality.,if nt pigin ought to b added as anoda language we have officially...
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by frisky2good(m): 8:36am On Jul 11, 2016
It has always been like that.

Emeonyerichard:
As a student i have come to notice that the use of pijin english is on the high side in most of our high institution .. Even myself can't deny the fact that i use it often both on chat or orally.. So the matter wey dy grand nw be y the thing common take over we student so much... No b say i dy critise am bcox fr my own side e make sense somehow so u my follow nairalanders hw una crry see am
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by vyncentino(m): 8:45am On Jul 11, 2016
u see the problem of this country,English is a borrowed language,in Guinness were I work,some of the robot use de,are manufactured by Germans one of the young man who came with then,he installed,d pasteurization machine,if you work in a bottling company b4 u understand the machine am talking about,that machine,mind blowing,he hardly communicate in English you even laugh in of of his communication, but he installed dat machine,my there,we have people de who hv masters in engineering, but anytime dat machine spoiled Guinness wil always go Germany to bring him to fixed d machine,so English should be communicated in our schools maube den we have real inventors
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:

But

for your mind now you be English guru...
Chinese no speak English.. you no how many things dem done invent? you wey you be English guru Wetin you don invent? cuz you sabi English mean sey you dey intelligent................ gerarahier meeen
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by murphyibiam15(m): 9:12am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:

But

trash
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Obtas: 9:13am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:

But

https://www.jw.org/pcm
Pls visit the link above. Will you rightly say that the owners of this website are not intelligent or those broadcasters at WAZOBIA FM/TV can't write good sentences because of their fluency in pidgin?

My 10 cent it is a perfect means of communication in Nigeria, pidgin speaks to your heart, your in person qoute me you can't easily forget what you were told in pidgin or your mother tongue.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by patrickkkk: 9:14am On Jul 11, 2016
It is a welcome development that we should encourage and support!! About 90% of Nigeria's population understand this language very well which on the long run will bring about unity and understanding unlike a language that less than 30% of the total population understand.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by cupidhero(m): 9:15am On Jul 11, 2016
Oboi! Na Pidgin English over English anyday.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by ewizard1: 9:18am On Jul 11, 2016
aaronson:

But

What you know, you know!

Who forgets proper english because of consistent use of pidgin? That person no sabi the english before!
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Mayor21(m): 9:33am On Jul 11, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
Warri/Ughelli, Benin, Port Harcourt, Yenagoa and Lokoja, for me, speak the best Pidgin. Theirs is undiluted.
Bro maybe u haven't heard of Ikom pidgin... Walai... E make die
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by stylochime: 9:33am On Jul 11, 2016
Sasuwa:
Hausa more common
Hausa Kuma Wai? Na 4 Where Hausa Comon Pass Na?
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by chigoizie7(m): 9:42am On Jul 11, 2016
Emeonyerichard:
As a student i have come to notice that the use of pijin english is on the high side in most of our high institution .. Even myself can't deny the fact that i use it often both on chat or orally.. So the matter wey dy grand nw be y the thing common take over we student so much... No b say i dy critise am bcox fr my own side e make sense somehow so u my follow nairalanders hw una crry see am

Well, that's because, that's what make us who we are.

In as much as we try so hard to learn and speak British english, piggin english just found its way to our mouth effortlessly.

Igbo, hausa,yoruba,efik,ibibio,tiv,ijaw,uhrobo, every Damn tribe in naija understands it so well, without putting any effort in learning it.

It is even better we communicate better in piggin, it will be better if naija govt can make it an official language
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 11, 2016
yungest:
Reason-some nr wan fall their hand,cos if u listen to some people so called English you will die of laughter....E.g imagine a stud in my school said "I didn't ate the rice".... imagine?
bros no vex that's no pidgin it's a flaw in English language
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by 99foxxy(f): 9:46am On Jul 11, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
Pidgin na the lingua franca for some West African countries wey dey speak English. Dem be Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone and Liberia. But na Nigeria an Ghana own sweet pass.
Cameron own sweet pass, i have a friend if she wants to say, i want to eat rice! she will say, eater me na rice. Try them and see.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 11, 2016
eLcastro:
9ja nd pretendin eh.,god4bid...nw wat is communication.? To speak nd the person u talkin to understand...Wahs the nid of speakin queens English nd the person u talkin to doesn't understand.....evn abroad boroughs.,nations stl hav their own....here we always makin it seem lyk cuz we speak pigin we inferior...anyway it has always been the black man mentality.,if nt pigin ought to b added as anoda language we have officially...

someone should give this man a stick of Benson he just made sense

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by 99foxxy(f): 9:49am On Jul 11, 2016
Pidgin English de sweet but sad enough, my dad ban it in our house, when em no de na em we de use sing national anthem grin
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by yungest(m): 9:52am On Jul 11, 2016
nunogomez:
bros no vex that's no pidgin it's a flaw in English language
I know sir....some people speak pigin not because da can't speak English but just fr easy communication,while some speak pigin to avoid unforseen or errors in English wen da speak.....I didn't ate the food,is it correct English
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Emeonyerichard(m): 9:59am On Jul 11, 2016
visijo:
na pidgin not pijin... Na naija made english be that na, na we get am... Ya.
tanx fr d correction bt it seems i cant change it now.. Thou is noted
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by mattmogan88: 10:18am On Jul 11, 2016
dis guy self, e b like say u wan discover mungo park... lolz
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by emi14: 10:45am On Jul 11, 2016
Pigin English is one of the best thing that is happening in Naija. It is unifying.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Mexyz(m): 10:48am On Jul 11, 2016
evegran:
Because most of them can barely speak proper english and instead of them to endeavour working on their english, they're lazy and go with pidgin as a short-cut.

Sad!
Partially true, but i can do both so your assertion is not absolutely true.

Good morning.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by watchindelta(m): 10:57am On Jul 11, 2016
even here wan italian man dey beg me to teach am pigin here in italy grin grin u see life cool cool cool
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Emeonyerichard(m): 11:12am On Jul 11, 2016
tsamson:
I must appear on fp
and ur prayers came to pass.. Na who b dat witch wey talk say e no go happn.. It hit fb
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Emeonyerichard(m): 11:12am On Jul 11, 2016
tsamson:
I must appear on fp
and ur prayers came to pass.. Na who b dat witch wey talk say e no go happn.. It hit fp
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Theoflux(m): 11:13am On Jul 11, 2016
Taiyescott:
well, itz jex hw we seem to best express ourselves and bsidez we re used to it..
i grew up speaking queenz english, bt wen i got to ss3, my frndz spoke in pidgin and den i followed suite..
it got to a point, i ad to literally think properly b4 speaking, bt tanx to God and my dad sha, i got my Groove back..
Enough!!!
Broz Hw Far Jare??
Bros, nothing dey happen jor, na our national language.
Infact go ask SA why dem dey speak Zulu for national film.
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by Emeonyerichard(m): 11:16am On Jul 11, 2016
Theoflux:

Bros, nothing dey happen jor, na our national language.
Infact go ask SA why dem dey speak Zulu for national film.
I see u... After much much we hit fp.. Oluwa is at work
Re: Why Is Pijin English Now Common Among Nigerian High Institution Students by WiseCollins(m): 11:20am On Jul 11, 2016
Its just like asking "why do garri sell well pass indomie?"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UNILORIN Wins West African Debate Championship Held In Ghana / Photo: Jambites Protest In Benue / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.