Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation (3045 Views)

How To Check A Computer Graphics Card ●2018 / 6 Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop In Nigeria / What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by tunisbaba(m): 7:21am On Jul 12, 2016
As a laptop owner, knowing how to care for your battery is one of the ways to avoid dashing out your hard earn money to battery vendors or repair technicians.

But aside having the knowledge of battery care, your ability to monitor the health of your laptop battery would go a long way in helping you to maintain your battery life and boost its efficiency.

There are a lot of third-party applications in the market that claim to help you monitor your laptop battery but the truth is that they can’t do the job like the way the in-built command of your Operating System will do it.

For this reason, I will advise you to use the right resource for the right job, and allow your third-party battery monitoring applications to rest for now.
How Do I Check My Laptop Battery Health?
• On your windows desktop, Right Click on the Start Button and choose Command Prompt from the list of available options. N.B= Do not select the command prompt with Admin
• After launching the command prompt, type the following code into the available writing space: powercfg /batteryreport
• Press Enter to run the code.
The code would create a webpage in your root directory; and to get to the location, do the following
• Open My Computer
• Click on Local Disk (Csmiley
• Click on a folder named Users
• Click on your username
After clicking that, a webpage named battery-report should be staring at you and what you want to do now is to click on it.
Clicking on it would open the file in your browser and a full report on your battery health condition would show up.
Explanation of Battery Health Report
The most important information you needed is under the Installed Battery Section and these are things you will see in the section:

NAME:[b/] This gives the name of the battery

[b]MANUFACTURER:
This tells the name of the battery manufacturer

SERIES NUMBER: This is product or batch number

CHEMISTRY: This means the kind of technology or element used in making the battery. Most Batteries are Lithium Ion (Li-I) Technology.

DESIGN CAPACITY: This is one of the most important information you want to know about your battery. Design Capacity means the total amount of energy the battery can store as design by the manufacturer.

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY: This shows the maximum capacity of energy the battery can hold at the current level of usage when fully charged to 100%.

CYCLE COUNT: This refers to the number of times your battery has completed a cycle in term of being full charged to 100%, then discharge to a critical percentage below 10% and then charge again to 100%.

Knowing the Level of Health of Laptop Battery
By calculating the difference between design capacity and full charge capacity, you would know the level of depreciation your battery has gone through and you can then make some informed decision by follow tips on how to care for your battery.
• If the difference between the two capacities in your battery is very close or the same, then you should be happy. It means your battery health is good.
• If the full charge capacity is 50% below the design capacity, it means the health is fair
• If full charge capacity is far below design capacity, it means you should be worried because your battery health is bad.
The information gotten in this report would help you monitor your battery health and It is recommended to run this report command once in a month so as to better understand your battery performance and optimize it.
culled from http://howtotechnaija.com/check-laptop-battery-health/

2 Likes

Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by wayaa007(m): 7:37am On Jul 12, 2016
FP material, lalasticalala, move this to the promise land
Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by Dottore: 7:40am On Jul 12, 2016
Well done. I feel bad when informative and scintillating posts are not given prompt attention at the expense of yeyebrities cleavages and bum shorts

1 Like

Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by eightsin(m): 7:49am On Jul 12, 2016
okay
Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by tunisbaba(m): 5:34pm On Jul 12, 2016
Dottore:
Well done. I feel bad when informative and scintillating posts are not given prompt attention at the expense of yeyebrities cleavages and bum shorts
Thank you bro
Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by jaid23: 8:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
Thanks for d info OP, though havent find it useful cos i tried it and got an error (bl pic). I have been having issues with my system Sony VAIO (Win7 Hpremium)
Model: VPCEA3S1E

When ever i charge it full 100% and i remove d charger, i noticed it will bring that d battery life will last for 3hrs, buh to my suprise, it only last not more than 1hr 30 mins at MOST..

Plx what can i do, is it that the battery isnt strong or wah is wrong??

Plx i'll appreciate ur reply.

BTW the BATTERY is 3500mAh..

Plx any help..

Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by chybyke4ly(m): 8:56am On Jul 13, 2016
Informatv
Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by Adebayolove(m): 12:13pm On Jul 13, 2016
jaid23:
Thanks for d info OP, though havent find it useful cos i tried it and got an error (bl pic)
Put a space after typing powercfg before /batteryreport

2 Likes

Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by tunisbaba(m): 7:16am On Jul 20, 2016
jaid23:
Thanks for d info OP, though havent find it useful cos i tried it and got an error (bl pic). I have been having issues with my system Sony VAIO (Win7 Hpremium)
Model: VPCEA3S1E

When ever i charge it full 100% and i remove d charger, i noticed it will bring that d battery life will last for 3hrs, buh to my suprise, it only last not more than 1hr 30 mins at MOST..

Plx what can i do, is it that the battery isnt strong or wah is wrong??

Plx i'll appreciate ur reply.

BTW the BATTERY is 3500mAh..

Plx any help..
The rate of battery discharging is dependent on the work the system is doing. The battery would last 3 hours if you do tasks that doesnt use much energy. Above all, the battery is still OK
Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by jaid23: 1:06pm On Jul 21, 2016
tunisbaba:

The rate of battery discharging is dependent on the work the system is doing. The battery would last 3 hours if you do tasks that doesnt use much energy. Above all, the battery is still OK
tnx for d reply, what i tried to monitor d usage, i even tried watchn movie, w/o doing any other thng, d system doesnt last more than an hour & half.

btw bro, wat myt be wrong with some keys on d laptop nt workin (fnction keys, 1-9, nd keys RTUY)? any help on dx too
Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by Mikocake(m): 10:37am On Jul 22, 2016
i know laptop battery has life span..@op when or how do we know that a battery is due for change?
Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by ghostofsparta(m): 1:55am On Jul 23, 2016
tunisbaba:
As a laptop owner, knowing how to care for your battery is one of the ways to avoid dashing out your hard earn money to battery vendors or repair technicians.

But aside having the knowledge of battery care, your ability to monitor the health of your laptop battery would go a long way in helping you to maintain your battery life and boost its efficiency.

There are a lot of third-party applications in the market that claim to help you monitor your laptop battery but the truth is that they can’t do the job like the way the in-built command of your Operating System will do it.

For this reason, I will advise you to use the right resource for the right job, and allow your third-party battery monitoring applications to rest for now.
How Do I Check My Laptop Battery Health?
• On your windows desktop, Right Click on the Start Button and choose Command Prompt from the list of available options. N.B= Do not select the command prompt with Admin
• After launching the command prompt, type the following code into the available writing space: powercfg /batteryreport
• Press Enter to run the code.
The code would create a webpage in your root directory; and to get to the location, do the following
• Open My Computer
• Click on Local Disk (Csmiley
• Click on a folder named Users
• Click on your username
After clicking that, a webpage named battery-report should be staring at you and what you want to do now is to click on it.
Clicking on it would open the file in your browser and a full report on your battery health condition would show up.
Explanation of Battery Health Report
The most important information you needed is under the Installed Battery Section and these are things you will see in the section:

NAME:[b/] This gives the name of the battery

[b]MANUFACTURER:
This tells the name of the battery manufacturer

SERIES NUMBER: This is product or batch number

CHEMISTRY: This means the kind of technology or element used in making the battery. Most Batteries are Lithium Ion (Li-I) Technology.

DESIGN CAPACITY: This is one of the most important information you want to know about your battery. Design Capacity means the total amount of energy the battery can store as design by the manufacturer.

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY: This shows the maximum capacity of energy the battery can hold at the current level of usage when fully charged to 100%.

CYCLE COUNT: This refers to the number of times your battery has completed a cycle in term of being full charged to 100%, then discharge to a critical percentage below 10% and then charge again to 100%.

Knowing the Level of Health of Laptop Battery
By calculating the difference between design capacity and full charge capacity, you would know the level of depreciation your battery has gone through and you can then make some informed decision by follow tips on how to care for your battery.
• If the difference between the two capacities in your battery is very close or the same, then you should be happy. It means your battery health is good.
• If the full charge capacity is 50% below the design capacity, it means the health is fair
• If full charge capacity is far below design capacity, it means you should be worried because your battery health is bad.
The information gotten in this report would help you monitor your battery health and It is recommended to run this report command once in a month so as to better understand your battery performance and optimize it.
culled from http://howtotechnaija.com/check-laptop-battery-health/

You are a mofo whose post doesn't deserve to be on frontpage for not stating the fuck1ng command only works with windows 8 and 10 (never on 7)
Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by tunisbaba(m): 4:23pm On Jul 25, 2016
Mikocake:
i know laptop battery has life span..@op when or how do we know that a battery is due for change?
The battery is due for change when the difference between the designed capacity and full charge capacity is very wide and of-course when your battery dies immediately you remove your charger, then you must replace it.
Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by emmaak2(m): 4:37am On Jul 26, 2016
tunisbaba:

The battery is due for change when the difference between the designed capacity and full charge capacity is very wide and of-course when your battery dies immediately you remove your charger, then you must replace it.

mine is the same but 2 me it seems my ba3 do not last
Re: How To Check A Laptop Battery Health And Determine Its Level Of Depreciation by SUGARSON(m): 2:18pm On Jul 28, 2016
NICE ONE. WILL TRY THIS LATER.

(1) (Reply)

SOLD. USA Used HP Probook 650 G3, 6th Generation, 4gb/500gb For Sale. / Top 20 Most Dangerous Computer Viruses Of All Time / Sell Your Scrap Laptop For Cash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.