Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,275 members, 7,957,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:38 PM

Albert Einstein: The Negro Question - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Albert Einstein: The Negro Question (696 Views)

The Negro In Our History / 1798 Encyclopedia Britannica Definition Of Negro / Jesus Christ Is Black (negro) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Albert Einstein: The Negro Question by datGuyJoo: 6:42pm On Jul 12, 2016
http://forum.naijarepublic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132

I found this and thought I'd share. Einstein was indeed smart, but I'm sure you all knew that.

ALBERT EINSTEIN: THE NEGRO QUESTION (1946)

I am writing as one who has lived among you in America only a little more than ten years. And I am writing seriously and warningly. Many readers may ask:

"What right has he to speak about things which concern us alone, and which no newcomer should touch?"

I do not think such a standpoint is justified. One who has grown up in an environment takes much for granted. On the other hand, one who has come to this country as a mature person may have a keen eye for everything peculiar and characteristic. I believe he should speak out freely on what he sees and feels, for by so doing he may perhaps prove himself useful.

What soon makes the new arrival devoted to this country is the democratic trait among the people. I am not thinking here so much of the democratic political constitution of this country, however highly it must be praised. I am thinking of the relationship between individual people and of the attitude they maintain toward one another.

In the United States everyone feels assured of his worth as an individual. No one humbles himself before another person or class. Even the great difference in wealth, the superior power of a few, cannot undermine this healthy self-confidence and natural respect for the dignity of one's fellow-man.

There is, however, a somber point in the social outlook of Americans. Their sense of equality and human dignity is mainly limited to men of white skins. Even among these there are prejudices of which I as a Jew am clearly conscious; but they are unimportant in comparison with the attitude of the "Whites" toward their fellow-citizens of darker complexion, particularly toward Negroes. The more I feel an American, the more this situation pains me. I can escape the feeling of complicity in it only by speaking out.

Read more here: http://forum.naijarepublic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132

(1) (Reply)

Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu / The Hawan Bariki Festival In Katsina Pics / Can You Approach A Girl In The Company Of Her Friends For The First Time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.