Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,076 members, 7,957,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:02 AM

What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? (2418 Views)

My Horrible Experience At Murtala Mohammed Airport::::::(see pictures):::::::::: / Photos: Ocean Of Travellers Today At Murtala Mohammed Int'l Airport / Expanded Terminal Opens At Murtala Muhammad Airport Lagos(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by chrisj2(m): 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2009
Does it still look like a military zone/check point with lots of guns on show? And how long does it take to pass through - and do we still need to bribe the officials to have peace of mind.

I have not been to Nigeria for a while. My last experience was not great - not too bad either because I was able to pass through eventually by telling them I am only there for a funeral (true). However, they were asking for change (pounds etc), what did I bring them and so on. And they rifled through my stuff insinuating that I imported goods (gifts they were) without paying tax - they delayed me for some time. I was not ready to give them pounds and I had no Naira.#

So what is it like these days? Be try to be honest, Thanks.

# I deciced to take some Naira with me to the UK fornext time I went back but many years later, they have changed the design on all the bank notes (realised only recently)- funny but a waste of money.
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 11, 2009
chris_j:

Does it still look like a military zone/check point with lots of guns on show? And how long does it take to pass through - and do we still need to bribe the officials to have peace of mind.

I have not been to Nigeria for a while. My last experience was not great - not too bad either because I was able to pass through eventually by telling them I am only there for a funeral (true). However, they were asking for change (pounds etc), what did I bring them and so on. And they rifled through my stuff insinuating that I imported goods (gifts they were) without paying tax - they delayed me for some time. I was not ready to give them pounds and I had no Naira.#

So what is it like these days? Be try to be honest, Thanks.

# I[b] deciced to take some Naira with me to the UK fornext time I went back but many years later, they have changed the design on all the bank notes (realised only recently)- funny but a waste of money.[/b]

ouch!!!
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by chrisj2(m): 9:52pm On Sep 11, 2009
Is there a Nigeria Monopoly - the useless money I have might come useful. Ouch indeed!!! At the time I acquired the Naira it was worth a lot more than it did nowadays.
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by visitor300: 6:23am On Sep 12, 2009
Hi, I am from the US I have been to Nigeria 4 times since 2004 and more recently just last month. I have never had a problem with customs and I have bought many gifts like electronics, cell phones, etc. However after retrieving my luggage and as I was walking out the airport doors, on two of my visits I was asked "what have you got for us" LOL!! At which point I gave them a few dollars(as in maybe 3 or 4) both times. Other than that it seems to be pretty normal, I normally get through customs in 15 minutes or so. Of course it is crazy when you get outside and everyone wants to be your taxi but far as inside the airport itself I have had no problems. I am a single female and have been alone every time. I would think if they were going to pick on someone it would be easy to pick on me grin. Hopefully next time things will go better for you. Good Luck and Happy Travels. smiley
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by kadman(m): 11:12am On Sep 12, 2009
@ chris_j

Did that happen years ago ? Not trying to form patriotism,but the customs at MM are a lot lot better,no more guns on the display,they sometimes ask "what have you brought for us",which you can ignore with a stony face. The biggest challenge is probably just the time on queue. Last time we were on it for up to an hour while other nationals went through in 5 mins.
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 12, 2009
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by DisGuy: 3:39pm On Sep 12, 2009
chaircover:

I was in Lagos 2 weeks ago.

The Nafdac people also stopped me and asked me to open my suitcase and I just told them that if I had drugs on me it was likely to be in my stomach and not in my cases; they didn't seem to like what I said so they just told me to GO!

I walked a few metres to the girl checking the luggage tags against the luggage and she said "aunty wetin una bring for us now - [b]I smiled sweetly and told her to piss off [/b]and walked out of the building.

I made my descision long ago not to give any one any money at MMA; If I wasnt commiting any offenece then I shouldnt need to pay anyone to do their job.

you mean NDLEA right?

you harsh  shocked
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 12, 2009
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by kadman(m): 4:06pm On Sep 12, 2009
Ha Ha, LMAO, . Chaircover you too much ! Your response was funny but you harsh o !
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by noblegas2(m): 4:12pm On Sep 12, 2009
I think dey have changed some of dere odd ways.i flew into nigeria last week and everytin was ok except dat ma luggage took like 30 minutes b4 it came out, no more lots of gun and stuff,
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by landis(m): 4:52pm On Sep 12, 2009
some improvements but they should replaced those dirty 1950 trolley.

I have no problem giving them a pair of dollars, usually 1$ each.

Even in the WEST, you tip for services provided for you albert by private enterprises not government agencies.
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by chrisj2(m): 6:03pm On Sep 12, 2009
Thanks folks. I feel a little bit more confident now. I was thinking of bribing them with £5 each to get them off my back but I will see whether I can do without having to bribe. Unfortunately we dont have pound sterling notes anymore,

To be honest I dont think I will need a trolley. I want to travel light - not intending to buy that many gifts; I send enough money as it is. And I dont like shopping especially for people that might likely look a gift horse in the mouth.

Great relief that we dont have gun totting personnels anymore. I want to get there and out as soon as possible and hopefully away on the highway as far as possible from Lagos.
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by noblegas2(m): 9:36pm On Sep 12, 2009
lol, mind u, a trolley at d NIgerian airport cost N100
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by toytola(m): 4:57am On Sep 13, 2009
@ Chris, Nice thread, i was wondering as well. Anyways i still wouldnt give anyone any money at the airport, why condone their bad habiits and annoying chants, "Wetin una bring for us" (Its nauseating and annoying - as long as they are not my immediate family or close friend - then NO, i didnt bring anything for you angry)
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by chrisj2(m): 12:26pm On Sep 13, 2009
I like the trolley comment. I just dont like hassles and I dont have any Naira on me, I guess a £2.00 coin will do or I will have to search drawers for some American dollars.

I am going Nigeria after a longwhile but not exactly excited - some sort of mixed emotion. I know it will be hassle with families and so on - go and see this person, what did you bring for that person, give money to in-laws or wives in the family and complete strangers, Then church this and that and religious bull all over the country. A religous country where people behave so badly is very contradictory.

If security wasn't so bad, I could behave like a real tourist - without minders. I'll live to go to the beaches in Badagry and places in Port Harcourt and Calabar. And visit Abuja too. But I just cannot function well in a country where you have to carry cash in carrier bags. I am spoiled with the bank card system of paying for things - less chance of being mugged for lots of cash,

Anyway, what the worse that can happen? Not a lot really. It only for a few weeks and I'll probably get more excited as the time approaches and possibly after a week.Wish me luck!
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 13, 2009
chaircover:

The only thing is that you have to pay N100 for a trolley.

I made my descision long ago not to give any one any money at MMA; If I wasnt commiting any offenece then I shouldnt need to pay anyone to do their job.

Yes you are right.

I don't know why we have to pay N100 for the trolley. Isn't the trolley free?  - Airport facilities  shocked

When I went to Naija? I was like shit men,  Thank God I had 1500NGN with me I kept over 1 yr  grin

You don't have to pay anybody @ the airport. NDLEA or Customs? For what? 
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by IKEYMAN1: 6:33pm On Sep 13, 2009
@@@@

word from superman

never let them fools scare u!!

always sound and stand confident even when they stopped or delay u

trust it works

again never stand like pussi with the nigerian police
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by GODSON2009(m): 1:08am On Sep 14, 2009
just came back end of august,the airport is less congested,the aircondition is working although epileptically the different uniforms will still ask for money but just laugh and shrug it off that you r a student or something and they wont delay you,all in all they dont mean any harm as long as you r not having anything suspicious on you or your luggage as the security has been stepped up,good idea to have like 1000 naira or therebouts to take care of your trolleys 100 upwards depending on the size,more if you want a full concierge who ll go through the hassle of sorting out your luggages and wheel them to your car e.t.c on the whole lagos is still fun in spite of the usuals
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by johnkent(m): 3:41am On Sep 16, 2009
i was thinking about going back this xmas but my bros was like u better stay home or you might get kidnapped so i might have to rethink my vacation to Nigeria.Am from Eastern nigeria and the kidnappings are getting outta hand.
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by Nobody: 6:27am On Sep 16, 2009
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by janykute: 6:40am On Sep 16, 2009
Maybe he is loaded thats why he could be a target.
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Sep 16, 2009
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by MrCrackles(m): 12:33pm On Sep 16, 2009
noble_gas1:

lol, mind u, a trolley at d NIgerian airport cost N100
And that is the price for the one that has wheels. . . grin
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by johnkent(m): 2:09pm On Sep 16, 2009
them kidnappers are kidnapping anyone from what i've heard. Its all about how much money they can get.
I dont know if foreign embassies are paying to have their citizens released as that would be my only chance of getting released if i got kidnapped cuz i am broke.
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by chrisj2(m): 8:10pm On Sep 16, 2009
I think it will not take very much for people to know who has been abroad for a while even if one decides not to flash the cash or dress extravagantly.

I am going next week and when my mum said a taxi driver is coming to pick me up (along with her) I as not best pleased, The taxi driver will know I am from abroad and who knows what might happen.

A guy here in the Uk told me a story about a bus driver that colluded with Armed robbers to rob them and rape the girls on the highway. They were young Uni folks going to a party, the driver said the bus was broken or tyre flat and they stopped on the highway (very dangerous anyway) and the gang of robbers just attacked them, robbed them (he was from UK) and even raped the girls. The way he recalled the story was so casual that I was sickened by it and traumatised that it could have been my sister there,

Even my mum and family were robbed at gun point in our small village - unheard of. But it was the time of petrol scarcity and we live not too far from the highway (highway was developed after we built the house).

Anyway, what is the point of going back to Nigeria and living like a Hermit.
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by OAM4J: 4:57am On Sep 24, 2009
Hey Chris, its not that bad. If your mum is bringing the taxi man then its ok, she most likely know who to trust. Beside, Naija is not that terrible. Just be free, relax and enjoy your stay.
Re: What Is It Like At Murtala Mohammed Airport These Days? by thameamead(f): 1:41pm On Feb 11, 2011

(1) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why Abuja Is Better Than Lagos! / Affordable Registeration And Runs For Gre, Toefl, Gmat And Sat / The 10 Smallest Countries In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.