Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,306 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Guilty Pleasures - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Guilty Pleasures (6055 Views)

I Love You, But I Am Guilty. / Guilty [A Legal Thriller Sure To Keep You Glued To Your Screen] / Guilty Pleasure (2) (3) (4)

Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 12:35am On Jul 15, 2016
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Copyright c 2016 by K. C

All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form

Also published on www.ikcheez..com

P.s:Feedback, contribution and suggestions are highly welcome
Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 1:28am On Jul 15, 2016
Episode 1

December 23 1989

Wales, UK.
He drove fast, his tense gaze fixed on the road. He was a skilled driver, and despite the treacherous condition, Suzie felt no alarm, until he braked sharply and cursed at something he had seen on the road ahead.

"Traffic jam!" He said. "I'd forgotten how easily the roads clog at this time of the year. Its blocked solid."

"Oh no! We could be hours getting to the hospital," she said in despair.

"No, I can take another route." He wrenched the wheel, turning the car down a side street. "We'll have to cut across country this way. Its longer but the roads should be free and there'll be less delay."

Suzie couldn't follow the twists they took in the next few minutes, but soon they were out in the country. The lights had disappeared and when she peered out the window she could only make out fields stretching into the distance.

"I don't know where we are," she said. "Is this anywhere near the hospital?"

"We're almost - Shit!" The words were torn from him as the car suddenly skidded on a patch of ice. He fought with the wheel trying to keep steady, while waves of terror engulfed Suzie.

They stopped with a thunderous impact. Suzie sat shivering, trying to grapple with the dread that possessed her mind.

"We've just lurched into a ditch," he said in a shaken voice. "Are you all right?" Receiving no answer, he looked closely into her face. She looked like she had seen a ghost. "Susanna..."

"The baby," she gasped. "Its started."

Michael looked in horror at her protruding stomach and back at her. "Oh no, the shock - hang on honey."

He tried to start the car but the engine whirred without sparking into life. Suzie clutched her stomach, waiting for the next pain, praying that her baby wouldn't be born like this.

Michael got out and placed his shoulder against the front of the car. Suzie felt the vehicle rock as he strained to push it out of the ditch. Another pain tore through her. Horrified, she realized that it was only a few minutes since the last. The shock of the impact had sent her into labor, and there wasn't much time.
Michael got back in beside her. "I can't get it free," he said grimly. "How are you?"

"Not good. Its coming fast."

He snatched up his phone. "It'll have to be an ambulance then," he said dialing furiously.

He turned back to her after cutting the call. "It may take them half an hour but babies don't come that fast, surely?"

"I don't know," she said in painful gasps. Looking into his eyes, she saw a reflection of her own alarm that the baby might be born like this.

"Is there anything I should do for you?" He asked. "You'll have to tell me."

"I want to lie lower," she said arching her back.

He set to work immediately, pulling levers and adjusting seats. She felt her headrest lower slowly until she was almost lying flat on the seat. Before she could thank him, another pain tore her apart. She gritted her teeth in sheer agony and a few tears escaped her eyes. She had attended childbirth classes, sometimes in the company of her husband but no amount of training or breathing exercises had prepared her for this terrible raw agony that was tearing her apart. She had been assured of doctors, machines and analgesics to relieve the pain but now, she had nothing but her husband's strength.

She turned to that strength now, burying her face against him as he half-sat beside her, cradling her head.

"I'm cold," she whispered.

Instantly, Michael was tearing off his overcoat and laying it over her, tucking it up to the neck. She closed her eyes, trying to gather her energy for the next contraction. The world was dark and full of agony. It seemed impossible that she should survive. A long mysterious tunnel opened up in her consciousness.

"Michael," she gasped.

"Yes __ yes, I'm here."

"If __ anything happens to me__"

"Hush," he said quickly. "Nothing will happen to you honey."

"But if__if something happens__promise me__," she gasped as another contraction hit her into unconsciousness.

(To be contd)

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 1:33am On Jul 15, 2016
Time for a roll call:

Jeffreyjamez

Laveda

Kimberlyie

Edezz

Iykekelvins

Ozila

Daveson07

Ritababe

Cherrybrown

Yinks89

Oma4U

Airborne02

Darkenedrebel

Charlie42

Nwiboko26

Bummybummy

and all the other readers viewing in ghost guest mode grin

Seye is on wink
Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 2:13am On Jul 15, 2016
Episode 2

December 23, 1999

Rumuibekwe, Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
The venue of the party was festooned with colorful balloons and fanciful ribbons. Music blared from the loud speakers and children of all ages swayed their young bodies to the beats.

The celebrant, ten year old Seye Seth Akintunde was dressed in a designer suit with classy dress shoes to match, bought and shipped to Nigeria from the UK. He was a handsome young boy whose winsome smile often charmed the hearts of people, both young and old but on this joyous occasion, his expression was anything but happy. He went back inside the house to the kitchen where his aunt and her friend were wrapping gift packs for the children.

Thirty-two year old Candy Richards was chattering away happily to her friend, Ada. She was happy at how the party turned out and pleased with herself for making her nephew's day special when Seye came into the kitchen.

"Aunty Candy."
She turned her beaming face at him, "Yes dearie?"
"Dad isn't still here, when is he going to come?"

Candy's happy features darkened somewhat as she exchanged a knowing glance with Ada. Ever since the death of his wife during the delivery of their son, ten years ago, Michael had become a recluse, shutting out everyone including his own son. Anyone would think ten years was enough time to grieve but not her brother-in-law who still couldn't stand the sight of his son because he reminded him so much of his late wife and all he had lost. But damn him! Michael knew better than to abandon his only child for years without even paying him a visit including such special occasions as his birthday. She had managed to extract a promise that he'd be here two weeks ago to Seye's delight. But two days ago he had called to say he wouldn't be able to make it. Candy had had to lie to Seye so he would be happy on his special day but obviously, Michael had found a way to ruin the day for the poor boy. She sighed.

"Sweetie I don't know, he's supposed to be here by now."

"Is he going to come? Is it because of me? Have I been naughty again aunty?" The tears were already forming in his eyes.

Candy bent lower and opened her arms wide. He reluctantly came closer and embraced her as she soothed him. "Its all right sweetie, its not because of you. You've been nothing less than an angel, that was why I organized this party for you." Even her husband, James, was a no-show. Only God knew the kind of men her and her late sister married.

Seye was sniffing on his aunt's shoulders. "But why isn't he here?"

"His flight was probably cancelled or something, don't blame yourself darling."

Seye nodded and wiped away his tears. "Okay auntie."

(To be contd)

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 2:21am On Jul 15, 2016
Episode 3

Later that day,

After the excitement of the day with so many presents to open and so many smiling faces around, Seye was tired and overwhelmed. The absence of his father on his birthday, gnawed at his insides throughout the day. Maybe his father never loved him and probably never would. He was also hurt that even his uncle hadn't been around too. Even though he and Aunty Candy lived in fear of Uncle James most times because of his harsh temper and volatile moods, he was still his uncle and the only father figure Seye had at present. There was probably something wrong with him that was why his father and uncle couldn't stand to be with him, he thought glumly as he prepared for bed.

He told his aunt to put off his room light as she was retiring to her room after reading him a story. Despite her warm disposition and hearty cheer, he felt unhappy and wanted to pull the blanket of darkness over himself quickly. That lone urge was stronger than his childhood fears of ghosts and bogeymen. He drifted off to sleep quickly and never heard his uncle get back home.

But sometime in the middle of the night, he woke to the sound of his door clicking shut. It was as if someone had nudged him with a finger. His eyes snapped open. He did not move and for a moment, heard nothing and guessed he had only dreamt it. Then he heard the distinct sound of heavy breathing and the shuffle of footsteps. A moment later, he felt the weight of someone's body on his bed and turned to see Uncle James silhouetted vaguely in the darkness. His heart began to pound. It looked like he wore no clothing, not even his pajamas.

"Uncle James?" He asked rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Shhh, don't shout, nobody must know I was here tonight, especially not your aunt or you will regret it. Do you understand boy?"

Something about the malevolent stare his uncle shot him made Seye's skin crawl. He wanted to scream but he was so afraid of what his uncle would do to him so he nodded.

"Good!" Uncle James whispered as a slow smile spread across his lips. "Don't be scared boy, as long as you keep this secret between us, me and you are going to have a swell time together."

(To be contd)

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Niwdog(m): 8:28am On Jul 15, 2016
Gay alert!!! Call the cops, grehn grehn grehn
Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 15, 2016
Niwdog:
Gay alert!!! Call the cops, grehn grehn grehn

Re: Guilty Pleasures by KimBerlyie: 8:52am On Jul 15, 2016
Damn cool following wink

Re: Guilty Pleasures by daveson07: 10:06am On Jul 15, 2016
Suigeneris93:I'm following u back to back

u always find d means to glue me to ur stories cuz i like reading like hell

seye is gonna av a very rough childhood,anyway i'm watching in 3D

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Niwdog(m): 10:44am On Jul 15, 2016
Re: Guilty Pleasures by IamLukas(m): 10:56am On Jul 15, 2016
Wow!

Nice and intriguing.

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Edezz(m): 11:54am On Jul 15, 2016
suigeneris93 u know i always got ur back...i dey follow up lyk bumper to bumper...pls ride on... #Team_Na_wewe

Re: Guilty Pleasures by missuniverse(f): 12:28pm On Jul 15, 2016
following...
Re: Guilty Pleasures by bummybummy(f): 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2016
Pppprrrreeeessseeeeennnnnt ma, am hia. Nyc one

Re: Guilty Pleasures by SPDAZZY(f): 4:41pm On Jul 15, 2016
From Honest illusions Park to guilty pleasures bus stop.

So happy to be here. You are doing a great work suiger...

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Thomsyne(m): 2:12am On Jul 16, 2016
Really really nice one OP...

Re: Guilty Pleasures by rabiuabd(m): 7:45am On Jul 16, 2016
Followin in 'ghost mode'

Re: Guilty Pleasures by iykekelvins(m): 11:52am On Jul 16, 2016
I'm glued
Bae, you're a good writer

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 11:53am On Jul 17, 2016
Episode 4

Six years later...

Seye was jolted out of sleep by the explosive sound of a dish smashing against the kitchen wall. He heard the shattered pieces of china rain down on the tiled floor. He lay there, staring up into the darkness and holding his breath. The silence was like that moment after you see a streak of lightening and know there will be a boom rattling windows down to your bone. Sure enough, he heard Aunty Candy's tear filled voice wail at Uncle James.

"Go on then," he heard her cry, "leave. You aren't much good to us here anyway. You never were."

"If that's the way you feel woman, then I just might go," he roared back at her.

"Go, go, go," she chanted tearfully. The strain in her voice made the strings in his own heart strain to the point of snapping.

"I will," he threatened. "I won't stay where I'm not appreciated. That's for sure, that's for damn sure."

"Appreciated?" She laughed a shrill, thin laugh. "What's there to appreciate? Your never being able to hold down a job for up to three months? Or your impotence, which one?"

"Ungrateful b!tch! I oughta..."

"Tell me James Richards, are you even a man because the cause of our infertility isn't me as much as it is you!"

Uncle James descended on her in a flash and from his bedroom, Seye could hear his aunt screaming in pain as he slapped and kicked her.

He's going to kill her. Seye thought in horror and suddenly something within him snapped. He wasn't going to kill her and get away with it, not if he could help it. A surge of bile rose in his throat as he got out of bed immediately and out of his room.

He entered the kitchen and saw Uncle James kicking Aunty Candy even as she was lying on the floor, defenseless. He had seen Uncle James beat up Aunty Candy before but it was not as ugly as this.

He shoved Uncle James hard from behind almost knocking him over as he hadn't seen him coming. Uncle James was thick in a way that could be called burly with his forearms twice the size of Seye's arm. He also stood over Seye with more than three inches at his six foot five height. Not his match by any standards but Seye didn't care.

Uncle James turned to look at him, "well if it isn't the little wuss. Come to join your aunt on the floor?"

"Shut the hell up!" Seye shouted his eyes blazing in anger.

"You rotten gay! How dare you raise your voice at me? I will teach you respect this instant."

He lunged for Seye but Seye was faster and calculated quickly. Before he could land the first punch, Seye ducked and head butted him on his chest very violently. Uncle James with his thick body, missed a step and slipped backwards on the tiled floor.

The crack of his skull could be heard loudly in the kitchen as Aunty Candy sat up in horror. His dark red blood gushed out and formed a pool beside his head in sharp contrast with the white tiles.

(To be contd)

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Guilty Pleasures by daveson07: 12:12pm On Jul 17, 2016
Wife beaters always ends up regretin it,but dis one aint gonna regret it cuz he is long gone down straight to pit of hell

9ce update dear

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Edezz(m): 12:13pm On Jul 17, 2016
Suigeneris93...Auntie mi nice one...ride on pls am following o...

Re: Guilty Pleasures by iykekelvins(m): 1:48pm On Jul 17, 2016
Naso uncle james go
Re: Guilty Pleasures by bummybummy(f): 2:02pm On Jul 17, 2016
dat z a gud jugdement for Uncle James but wil seye sista b able 2 forgiive seye abt d death of her husband?
Re: Guilty Pleasures by Cornerstone001: 3:28pm On Jul 17, 2016
Nice story Suigeneris93, you are good, I've always enjoy your stories here mostly in guest mode.
You always make my day especially on Sundays, keep it up. kiss

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 17, 2016
iykekelvins:
Naso uncle james go

Na so o embarassed
Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 17, 2016
bummybummy:
dat z a gud jugdement for Uncle James but wil seye sista b able 2 forgiive seye abt d death of her husband?

We'll find out in the next episode wink
Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 18, 2016
Cc: Cornerstone001, this one is ongoing. Happy reading smiley

Episode 5

Guilt was a disease invading every part of him more than ever on the morning of Uncle James funeral. It started in his heart and trickled around his body in his blood, infecting his legs and his arms, his neck and shoulders. It made his eyes ache so that he had to keep them either closed or fixed in a downward gaze, avoiding anyone else's eyes. When they sat in church, he could feel the heat of condemnation at the back of his neck, and when they rose to leave, he was afraid to glance right or left. Of course it was all in his mind as he had never been mentioned for Uncle James' death. Aunty Candy took responsibility for what had happened and the police dropped the case immediately they learnt about the domestic violence.

Nobody else knew what had transpired that night except his aunt who had begun to see him in a new light after the incident. She had been astounded by Seye's revelations when she asked what her late husband meant by calling him a 'gay'.

Seye had unburdened his six year old secret to her, telling her of how the abuse had first started on his tenth birthday with Uncle James making him perform MouthAction on him. Four years later, it became anal and Seye had lived in loathing of himself at all the things Uncle James had made him do.

There weren't that many people at the funeral and even fewer at the cemetery. Uncle James had never been a social or friendly person so even the bulk of people that attended were Aunty Candy's friends. His estranged younger sister, the only family he had, hadn't been able to make it to the funeral.

The rain that had begun the day before still fell, but sporadically. They were actually able to get through the service at the grave site before it began to pour. The rain chased everyone back to his or her vehicle and they left the cemetery faster than he anticipated. It was so final yet he could not weep.

For the first two nights after Uncle James' death, he had had a fitful sleep tormented by nightmares of Uncle James chasing him with his shattered skull. He had woken up terrified, more terrified than on those nights Uncle James came to his room. It was amazing that Uncle James had found a way to torment him both in life and death.

He felt guilt gnaw at his insides as he struggled to justify his satisfaction at ending the life of a monster. He had comforted his aunt while she mourned but he could not bring himself to shed a single tear for Uncle James. Not even on the day his coffin was lowered into his 6-foot grave.

When they got home, the dreariness invaded their apartment and their hearts. Each mourning entirely different things; Seye, his stolen innocence and childhood, his aunt, her late husband, presumably.

His aunt had tinkered in the kitchen, made herself some tea and came into his bedroom.

"Your father has sent the money for your flight ticket so you'll join him in the UK. Tomorrow you're packing your things."

Those were the first words she said to him after he had confessed all of Uncle James atrocities.

(To be contd)

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Edezz(m): 9:14am On Jul 18, 2016
Good morning suigeneris93...U know am following u cos ur story is a hit back to back...but i must say,...u are keeping us on too much suspense these days o...it ain't fair...

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 18, 2016
Edezz:
Good morning suigen eris93...U know am following u cos ur story is a hit back to back...but i must say,...u are keeping us on too much suspense these days o...it ain't fair...

Awwwn, so sory dear. I'll do my best to remedy that wink

Thanks for following

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 18, 2016
Episode 6

Cardiff Airport, Wales, UK

One week later...

It had been fifteen years since he'd last seen his father, two years since he'd spoken to him and he loathed him for it. If only he hadn't sent him away, if only he hadn't put his upbringing at the mercy of other people, even extended family, Uncle James wouldn't have happened.

He didn't regret growing under Aunty Candy's care, she was the only real mother he ever had and he was sorry to leave her when she obviously needed him most. But she hadn't been able to stand him, not after what he told her, her silence said as much. Her well of affection towards him seemed to have dried up even as the hug she had given him at MM2 Airport some hours ago, seemed cold and distant. Just as she had been in the one week leading to his departure.

The guilt was still gnawing at his insides, his self-esteem at an all-time low. Because of the man before him, he had been through a lot of agony.

But Michael Akintunde was oblivious to his thoughts as he grinned from ear-to-ear and opened his arms for an embrace.

"When Candy told me how much you've grown, I couldn't believe it. Even your pictures didn't do you much justice. Welcome home, son."

Yea, Seye thought wryly, home, sweet hell.

He stiffened as his father's arms encircled him, if only....

(To be contd)

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Edezz(m): 9:40am On Jul 18, 2016
Suigeneris93:

Awwwn, so sory dear. I'll do my best to remedy that wink
Thanks for following
Ok ma'am...Thankz...

Re: Guilty Pleasures by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 18, 2016
Episode 7

Two years later

He opened the front door with his keys and made a beeline for his room upstairs. The television was on in the sitting room, a commentator's voice droning on indicating that a football match was in play. His father was home before him. He was half-way up the stairs when he saw him on the landing.

"Where have you been?" Michael demanded. He looked quite disheveled, his eyes, wild.

"Around," Seye replied vaguely, ignoring his stare.

"W-what they said at the school..." He let his words trail, relieving one of the worst moments of his life. He cleared his throat and continued. "What they said, is it true?"

Seye smiled inwardly, even when confronted with reality, his father still couldn't face it. Truth comes but we can't hear it, how can we hear it when we've been programmed to fear it? He thought and kept mute.

"I asked you a question, Seye Seth Akintunde!" His father thundered. "What they said about you sexually harassing that boy is it true?"

"Yes, its true," Seye replied, trying to sound casual but the more casual he sounded, the angrier his father became, his eyes brightening with surprising fire and rage.

"You rotten little piece of shit! How dare you? How dare you drag my name in the mud after all I've done for you, you ungrateful bastard! And you stand there nonchalantly admitting to being worse than an animal. Omo ale jati jati!" He spat. "You're a bastard because no true son of mine can ever be gay!"

Seye felt his hackles rise as he stared in pure hatred at his father. "And what are you? A useless excuse of a father who left his son in the care of strangers for years. You think you've done so much for me, yeah? But you haven't, your weakness has ruined and tarnished me forever!" He fired back.

His father was taken aback by his outburst and stared as Seye continued.

"Yes! You're the one that made me what I am by abandoning me for years without as much as a visit and I will hate you forever!" He couldn't fight back the tears that escaped his eyes and was streaming down his cheeks. "I'm the only blood family you have, yet you abandoned me defenseless in the hands of a pervert who came night after night to torment me," he gasped as he recollected a memory of not so long ago.

Seye bolted upright in bed as he heard the soft click of his door open and close. He had been expecting Uncle James' visit that night especially after all the meaningful glances and inappropriate touches he'd given him throughout the day. Uncle James hadn't disappointed and was in his room, disrobing himself.

Seye looked at his naked body and couldn't turn his eyes away from it. Somewhere along their nocturnal sessions, he had begun to admire his body and anticipate their time together.

"Come here boy," Uncle James said softly, gesticulating at the foot of the bed.

Seye still had his clothes on, he never pulled it off in their previous sessions but not on this night. This night, Uncle James had a lot more in store for him than he had ever imagined.

"I couldn't sit properly for three days afterwards as the pain was excruciating. The worst part was, I had to hide it from Aunty Candy because I was terrified of what Uncle James would do if she found out." He turned back to his father who had sank to the top stair, holding his head in his hands. "Can you imagine living in such fear and dread of someone because of the pain they were inflicting on you, night after night? Can you imagine bottling up intense feelings of anger and self-loathing because you felt you deserved all you got? Can you imagine feeling unloved and abandoned by so-called family for years?"

"Stop, stop, stop," his father moaned slowly. "Stop it!"

Seye let out a cruel hollow laugh, "my wonderful dad with his golden name and reputation to protect, I wish it would stop. I wish I could stop feeling this heavy sense of guilt and self-loathing. I wish I could stop hating you, just like that!" He said snapping his fingers.

(To be contd)

10 Likes 6 Shares

A Picture Poem About Women! / A Cry For Love - A Romance Story / I Want To Be Famous (Quest For Fame) A Short Story

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76