Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? (88144 Views)

Do You Remember Your 2go Username ? / Remember These Facts As You Go Through Life / 17 Childhood Insults You’ll Only Remember If You Were A Lagos Brought Up Ajepako (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Yuneehk(f): 11:46pm On Jul 15, 2016
junnyjake:

¿hablas espanyol?
Si.

Entiendo un poquito.. Google helped me here o. I understand little thanks to telemundo and Spanish songs
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by gbemi514: 11:47pm On Jul 15, 2016
Samguine:
I've got soft copies of Things Fall Apart and No longer At Ease by Achebe, The Famished Road (Ben Okri) and I'm willing to share. Hard copies of The Passport of Mallam Ilia, The New Man, Toads for Supper, The Concubine... I don't know how that can be shared smiley

I guess this thread can be an avenue where lovers of classics can share with one another.
please send me the soft copies also... Omotoshooluwagbemi@gmail.com is my email

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 11:48pm On Jul 15, 2016
junnyjake:

yea yea, I loved the story that much.

look for 'the cyclist' and read it, I assure you, you'd love it.
I have read It! Some twenty years ago. Can't even remember the plot.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Samguine: 11:48pm On Jul 15, 2016
whitecloth:
Your location.
Lagos
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by armadeo(m): 11:50pm On Jul 15, 2016
naptu2:

Gwendoline Mary = Mallory Towers. I read those books more than 30 years ago, so I don't remember the names of the individual books, but I remember a bit of the plots. Do you remember when they had an American student at Mallory Towers? They also had a very snobbish girl in one of the books. I think her name was The Honourable Clarissa Carter (or something like that).

Wow wow wow. You are right. A girl's boarding school or something like that. Wow.

Flashback.

Nice you could remember.

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by vhickky(f): 11:50pm On Jul 15, 2016
Bluezy13:

Very painful, my dear. The story is all tragedy. She suffered all her lifetime, even in marriage.

At my age then, I got absorbed by the happenings in the book that it almost reflected in my life physically as I was constantly wearing a sad face then.

You know, at that time, any book one happens to find oneself reading, all one's imagination would be seasoned and directed by the book until one picks up another book.
Besides, that "Joys of Motherhood" is/was a heavy book with very tiny text such that would discourage a dull/lazy reader.
Hehehe...

Poor Nnuego.
Anyways, she tried like a mother.
Only that the end...at least...would have been joyous like the Drummer boy.
it was a very nice book... I cried at the end.... Try reading 'efuru'

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by whitecloth: 11:50pm On Jul 15, 2016
Samguine:

Lagos
presently in Ibadan
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by vetrovialMan(m): 11:51pm On Jul 15, 2016
Samguine:
I've got soft copies of Things Fall Apart and No longer At Ease by Achebe, The Famished Road (Ben Okri) and I'm willing to share. Hard copies of The Passport of Mallam Ilia, The New Man, Toads for Supper, The Concubine... I don't know how that can be shared smiley

I guess this thread can be an avenue where lovers of classics can share with one another.

please bro
how do i get them
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 11:51pm On Jul 15, 2016
bellville:
I thoroughly enjoyed "The last duty" by Isidore Okpevwo. I read bottled leopard at 13 and found it scary.

For the best of African classics, check my signature. Prompt delivery throughout Nigeria.

Have you read The Rivals by Isidore Okpewho?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by vetrovialMan(m): 11:52pm On Jul 15, 2016
vetrovialMan:

please bro
how do i get them

kris.ogboo@gmail.com
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by whitecloth: 11:52pm On Jul 15, 2016
Samguine:

Lagos
presently in Ibadan, where did you get those books, I want to have mine also.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by armadeo(m): 11:53pm On Jul 15, 2016
Ishilove:

Emenike is different from Ekueme. Ekwueme was Ihuoma's husband while Emenike was supposed to marry her. Agwoturumbe boasted he could appease the Sea King but he was outsmarted at the end

Yes. Emenike was The first to die. Ekwueme was next. That book was awesome.

Ishilove:

I remember the tale of the ones who ran to Lagos. When they were dedicating the truck, people got drunk and fought themselves, and eventually had blood splattered on the truck. The two were warned that this was a bad omen.

The one of the orphan who was taken by the trader selling statues is a vague memory but I recall the beginning.

Very correct. That's the book.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by junnyjake(m): 11:56pm On Jul 15, 2016
Yuneehk:

Si.

Entiendo un poquito.. Google helped me here o. I understand little thanks to telemundo and Spanish songs

¡bien!

¡Mucho gusto!
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by adexsimply(m): 11:57pm On Jul 15, 2016
Did anyone read Takadini? The story of an handicapped Albino boy? I'll be glad if I can get the book again

And, The secret of the Sheik. Please anyone!!

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by junnyjake(m): 11:58pm On Jul 15, 2016
Yuneehk:

Si.

but I've not seen any telemundo series with Spanish subtitles.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 11:59pm On Jul 15, 2016
Samankwe And The Highway Robbers

She Died Yesterday

lagos Na Wa

Please Don't Say No

The Potter's Wheel

Love On The Rocks

The Hopeful Lovers

Fools Rush In

So many classic novels from before there was the Internet, back when life was sweeter.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Bluezy13(m): 11:59pm On Jul 15, 2016
vhickky:
it was a very nice book... I cried at the end.... Try reading 'efuru'

Oh, I'll...
thanks
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by junnyjake(m): 12:03am On Jul 16, 2016
litetias:

I have read It! Some twenty years ago. Can't even remember the plot.

señor, I hail o.

it's about a Biafran soldier thought to be dead by his family, eventually got released from prison.

Everyone at home were shocked to see him.

u
Upon his return, he found out the love of his life 'Celina' got married to a bicycle repairer I guess.

Now he's faced with the challenge of winning her back.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Yuneehk(f): 12:03am On Jul 16, 2016
junnyjake:

but I've not seen any telemundo series with Spanish subtitles.
I shouldn't have used telemundo. Telenovelas would have been appropriate. When you buy the CDs, they speak Spanish and it's subtitled in English
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by SirDavico(m): 12:04am On Jul 16, 2016
Ishilove so u love novels. Wow! That's gr8. I've read only some of these books listed above
- Without a silver spoon
- One week, one trouble
- An african Nights Entertainment
- Sugar Girl (who haven't read it? cheesy)
- The drummer boy
- The passport of mallam Ilia
etc, etc smiley

Those were the days when youngsters read... Now all they do is watch telemundo sad
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Okaakoko(m): 12:06am On Jul 16, 2016
Ishilove:

I thought i saw Ralia Odinga grin cheesy

I know I've read this Boyslave book, but each time i try to conjure up the memory, Koku Baboni keeps popping up.

Who also remembers My Father's Daughter by Mabel something?

Mabel Segun
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by junnyjake(m): 12:09am On Jul 16, 2016
Yuneehk:

I shouldn't have used telemundo. Telenovelas would have been appropriate. When you buy the CDs, they speak Spanish and it's subtitled in English

That's cool.

I use duolingo and some learn Spanish books.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Okaakoko(m): 12:09am On Jul 16, 2016
Yuneehk:
My favourite was "second chance".. I read that book so many times. Rich Mina Erein and poor Richard Pepple with their twin girls cheesy

I love that story too. I can read it a thousand times
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 12:09am On Jul 16, 2016
junnyjake:

señor, I hail o.

it's about a Biafran soldier thought to be dead by his family, eventually got released from prison.

Everyone at home were shocked to see him.

u
Upon his return, he found out the love of his life 'Celina' got married to a bicycle repairer I guess.

Now he's faced with the challenge of winning her back.

I remember it vaguely now. Thanks! My parents had a collection of over 100 of such classic novels but my siblings over the years have given them all away cos they don't know the value. I miss them.

Is there any other one you have read?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by adexsimply(m): 12:11am On Jul 16, 2016
delors:
Wow! Read almost all of Pacesetters series within a year....1999/2000. Good old days. Started with Equatorial Assignment whole I was sick...then I got hooked. Finished all Pacesetters, advanced to James Hadley Chase.
Jeez! Equatorial Assignment!! I found the book in my dad's bookshelf! I read it so many times that all the actions are etched in my memory. That was the first time I'd be knowing anything about Kenya. The book was simply superb. Funny enough, like the last 10 pages were missing, which means I still don't know what happened at the end. cry
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by stevewale(m): 12:13am On Jul 16, 2016
Ishilove:

Who can remember the other books written by Agbo Areo?
u

Agbo Areo the great writer ... I used to work for his publishing coy in ibadan long time ago and his kids are my friends.

My favorite is The Director by him

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by bellville: 12:14am On Jul 16, 2016
litetias:

Have you read The Rivals by Ishilove Okpewho?
You mean Isidore Okpewho? No I haven't

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 12:16am On Jul 16, 2016
bellville:
You mean Isidore Okpewho? No I haven't

Yeah I meant Isidore. Ok
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 12:20am On Jul 16, 2016
niceprof:
It was an interesting read,because as a student of the Government College Umuahia then,which was the setting of the book,i could relate with everything written therein.From Bottled leopard to Arrow of god to Forest of flowers(Ken saro-wiwa) to The Concubine,all were written by our old boys.

Proudly Umuahian. Our will to shine as one.
Yeah Govt College Umuahia was a great school with Erudite scholars and Academic giants,even China Achebe stated it in his book,'There was a country'
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by junnyjake(m): 12:20am On Jul 16, 2016
litetias:

I remember it vaguely now. Thanks! My parents had a collection of over 100 of such classic novels but my siblings over the years have given them all away cos they don't know the value. I miss them.

Is there any other one you have read?

Christmas in the City, the runaway bride(i don't like this one). no condition is permanent (spectrum publishers). The gun merchant, the rat race. And many more I can't wave my head around currently.

Later on I started reading lantern (their matured stories of course) smiley

the pirate, beyond intimidation ati bee bee lo.

No more time to read like before sha.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by mrgafari(m): 12:20am On Jul 16, 2016
who read scoundrels in uniform? how can I forget big headed obu in 'the potters wheel'. memories!
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 12:21am On Jul 16, 2016
abbeyty:
op what about sugar girl
Lára the sugar girl. Oh good old days.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply)

Black Maria 5 - Retribution (The Final Book) / Three Paths / Lethal Matrimony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.