Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market (16012 Views)

How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? / Does The Job Market Discriminate? Your Voice Is Needed / My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by aplus2016: 6:15am On Jul 17, 2016
AGE DISCRIMINATION BY EMPLOYERS IN THE JOB MARKET

[b]Age (i.e advanced age) is known or supposed to be a blessing. But the unemployment challenge in Nigeria now makes it to be perceived as a curse.

It is high time attention was given to this perceived social injustice/oppression- an anomaly called “AGE DISCRIMINATION” by employers in the job market. A practice where youth in an age range are considered unemployable on the ground of age, despite still being able and willing to work, compounds the unemployment challenges and social ills of the nation.
A close attention should be paid to it by the federal law makers and Ministry of Labour and Productivity with the aim of reversing the trend. This will portend well for our society as social ills to a large extent are, no doubt, linked to unemployment. It is a common thing for everyone to always call for peace. But unfortunately, no one or not many ever call for fairness and justice. Peace is not attainable without fairness and justice.

The practice of such age discrimination would have been practicable and appropriate without any backlash in a society where the system works well - a society where social policies/programs exist to take care of all vulnerable or less privileged class. Such policies are only being put in place now but to the exclusion of unemployed youth in age range 35-45, who have suffered unemployment the most and longest.
The age discrimination in Nigeria is now assuming an alarming dimension, with employers setting ridiculously low maximum age limit as 22, 25 etc for recruitment. The matter is made worse, with the federal government(public sector) also toeing the same direction.
The doors of the present administration, it appears, are shut against unemployed youth in the age range of 35-45. By implication, the poor and the “not too powerfully connected” are the target.
[/b]
Age discrimination is a current trend that has continued unabated in the Nigeria job market. Not only has the Nigerian government remained silent over it but has also joined the private sector in perpetrating the same act, which is grossly unfair to youth in the age bracket (30-45 or 35-45) as the case may be. Not even the voices of the rights advocates have been heard on this. It thus appears to be a conspiracy of silence.

Such age discrimination would only be ideal in a society where systems work. Society where there are deliberate social policies/programs to cater for the vulnerable at different points, ensuring for instance that children start their education when they should and transit from one level of education to another in smooth succession without loss of time say on account of poverty etc.

The age discrimination has assumed a frightening twist by reason of its extension to areas other than employment for paid jobs as seen in the age range/limit stipulated by the federal government in the following ongoing programmes:
1. Npower by Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity aimed at equipping unemployed youth with skills, among others, to make them employable or do business on their own. Allowable age limit is 18-35.
But technically, the limit is 18-34 as those already aged 35 (i.e. born in 1980) cannot apply, as 1980 is not included in the birth date calendar on the online application form.
2. Youth Entrepreneurship Support (YES) Programme by Bank of Industry aimed at training and providing interest low funding for entrepreneurs. Set age limit is 18-35.

These lofty programmes are seen as intervention in the chronic unemployment challenge of the nation by the present government.
Recall that the unemployment crisis long predates the current administration. Recall also that at certain point in our history, EMBARGO was placed on employment for a long period by successive governments without any social policies in place. Some of these affected youth at that time just concluded their secondary education and needed job (either because they no longer wanted to further their education due to lack of sponsorship or wanted to work for some years and save for higher education). But the jobs were not there- no thanks to embargo and “Nigerian factor” in recruitment in the years that followed employment embargo.

Now that help has come, courtesy of President Mohammed Buhari, the unemployed youth in the age range 35-45 have been alienated. With the doors being shut against these youth, it is a subtle way to tell them “GO AND DIE” or “YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.” If all the social and economic programs so far introduced by the current administration do not take these unemployed youth into cognizance, are they to expect another program that will specifically target them? Or are they to await help from a government other than the President Buhari government?
All Nigerians are guilty of conspiracy of silence over the injustice and unfair treatment mated out to this class of Nigerian youth as it relates to age discrimination. Not even the legislators (state and federal who are supposedly the people’s representatives) have thought it a matter of national interest because they are comfortable and perhaps, their relations are not affected. Not even the voices of the rights groups have been heard on this.

Everyone is always quick to call for and want to enjoy peace but nobody or not many ever call for justice and fairness. We don’t seem to realize that justice and fairness are prerequisites for peace. How does it sound for a nation to perpetually neglect her own citizens, who became caught in the web/trap of irrational age policies by no fault of theirs? Irrational because the said youth still fall within the working age which terminates at age 60 or 65.Or is it that the nation has conducted a survey and discovered that all youths in this age range are dully employed or engaged in one trade or the other? Indeed, the system has been grossly unfair to them. Ironically, the operators of the system time back benefited immensely from same system with free government sponsorship in education (even oversea) and timely employment etc.

The same people who benefited from free government education, easy and prompt employment and job placement have perverted the same system perpetually. It is to be pointed out that the victims of this age discrimination are largely the poor, who for obvious reasons, such as financial incapacity, were ( and still may be) unable to smoothly transit from one level of education to another on schedule, and where they needed job to work for some time and save money to continue their education, embargo on employment persisted, or where there were jobs, had no money to buy employment nor strong connection to people in power to gain favour in employment etc. The category of people affected (the victims)explains the reason for the impunity and conspiracy of silence.

In absence of necessary social security/policies over the years, it is certain that largely, only the children of the rich in the affected age range could have completed their education on time to beat the so called acceptable/employable age. With the age limit getting even more ridiculously low (as seen in the recent 2016 EFCC recruitment), the gap between the rich and poor will keep widening, as completing education on schedule is largely a function of finance among others.

Social security programmes (such as the N5000 allowances to the very poor) and other intervention policies cutting across different strata of the society are now, for the first time in the history of Nigeria, being implemented by the President Buhari government. But unfortunately, the class of the youth that has borne the brunt of the rot of the Nigerian system the most (especially as it relates to unemployment) in the hands of successive governments has been neglected, invalidated, locked out and left to their fate.
Is this a mere oversight? Perpetual oversight? Is this not height of insensitivity by those who are very comfortable and completely detached from the realities/feelings of the common people of our society?

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by AntiWailer: 6:59am On Jul 17, 2016
Very valid points you raised here but i think some employers have their reasons too.

This period, we have Head of units, departments etc in their early 30s or late 20s.

While the youths in the class you mentioned should be considered for experienced jobs, I dnt think they are ok for ENTRY LEVEL jobs.

It takes humility for the job not to be affected if a much older person is to report to the 'young' managers.
(The culture and the Nigerian factor comes to play)

Also, the inertia to change to learn new things and a lot of other factors will affect the older ones.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by ikombe: 6:59am On Jul 17, 2016
STC undecided

Shey na 4G this guy above me dey use

8 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Chuknovski(m): 7:00am On Jul 17, 2016
This is really cringe worthy but true, they want you to have 10yrs experience as at the age of 5, it's crazy

7 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Nobody: 7:01am On Jul 17, 2016
The last thing I want to hear about right now is this because the job nor cucuma dey the country for we graduates. I can't even remember if there is a job vacancy anywhere in this country anymore. Even people who are working class citizens I know of, engineers, lawyer, teachers, even pastors sef wan enter the STREET. Very soon Federal Goverment will be forced to Legalise yahoo since they can't provide jobs for graduates in this country and na the only way Boiz they use see light.

Whoever quote me I will pour sand into his/her face

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by justicejay(m): 7:01am On Jul 17, 2016
Can't say more.all true
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Young03(m): 7:01am On Jul 17, 2016
Jesus wept
u expect people like me to sit down and read all this thing
maybe not now..am in da church.

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by ednut1(m): 7:02am On Jul 17, 2016
Used most times to limit the number of applicants. Instead make our yeye leaders formulate polices that would drive industrialization so dat companies can thrive nd employed. They will do nothing except redefining the problem mtchewww
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by lonelydora: 7:03am On Jul 17, 2016
American companies do not discriminate Age, Sex, and Religion, but they do so in Nigeria because of the number of applications they get. It's a way to reduce the number of applications. Blame our government for nor creating jobs for the masses.

2 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by obajoey(m): 7:04am On Jul 17, 2016
Different cv with different date of birth when you are not abiku..lol

Its so sad. God help us

7 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by WebSurfer(m): 7:07am On Jul 17, 2016
Stelvin101:
The last thing I wan to hear about is this cause the job nor cucuma dey the country for we graduates. I can't even remember if there is a job vacancy in this country anymore cause even people who are working I know of engineers, lawyer, teachers, pastors sef wan enter the STREET. Very soon Federal Goverment will be forced to Legalise yahoo for since they can't provide jobs for graduates in this country and na the only way Boiz they use see light.

Whoever quote me I will pour sand into his/her face
Just look at you with all the blunders you wrote up there,

A Nigerian graduate with such a relative thread using the term "Cucuma"

constructing simple sentenses is a problem for you but your Lazy ass is talking about Yahoo,

you could not even hide that from the public out of shame.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Mzflow(f): 7:08am On Jul 17, 2016
Let them discriminate from now till eternity, when I want a job, I'll get it grin

7 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Bryt07: 7:09am On Jul 17, 2016
I really don't get all this really, I think its a bit prepostrous, I mean why then would a man as old as buhari or even our ministers be 50 plus and still rule, why don't they now allow people within the ages of 22-34 administrate the country...even that useless buhari that bast**d as old as he is, I think he should look at this. Yeah and p.s am not up to 30...
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by lonelydora: 7:10am On Jul 17, 2016
Mzflow:
Let them discriminate from now till eternity, when I want a job, I'll get it grin

Hope you are not planning to use what you have and get what you want? Pray to God ooooo. No bi by mouth. Me wey wan resign sef dey think twice.

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by XwhY(m): 7:13am On Jul 17, 2016
well said
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Mzflow(f): 7:13am On Jul 17, 2016
lonelydora:

Hope you are not planning to use what you have and get what you want? Pray to God ooooo. No bi by mouth. Me wey wan resign sef dey think twice.
I shall decree a thing...

4 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Psalmuel92(m): 7:13am On Jul 17, 2016
What will be will be no matter the discrimination. Believe in God for better Job

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by millionboi(m): 7:15am On Jul 17, 2016
Girls dey chance guys
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Gkemz: 7:19am On Jul 17, 2016
Thank you for your thoughtful write-up.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 17, 2016
The best way to explain why such happens in Nigeria is because Nigeria is f*cked up. Just like the same way we crave for paper certificate, and 2:1 and NYSC discharge certificate.
In the developed world, skill rules. Just like when you see someone who is very skilled at hacking a system and eventually gets caught, the government can give that person a lite sentence and later ask you to come work for them, using your skills to help catch others like you.

10 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by 11cows4sale(m): 7:29am On Jul 17, 2016
that's why most pipo falsified their age,,am 29 but my cv says am 22

8 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by WebSurfer(m): 7:36am On Jul 17, 2016
11cows4sale:
that's why most pipo falsified their age,,am 29 but my cv says am 22
You pipo should stop lying anyhow angry am not happy

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by WebSurfer(m): 7:40am On Jul 17, 2016
Vanillaskin:
The best way to explain why such happens in Nigeria is because Nigeria is f*cked up. Just like the same way we crave for paper certificate, and 2:1 and NYSC discharge certificate.
In the developed world, skill rules. Just like when you see someone who is very skilled at hacking a system and eventually gets caught, the government can give that person a lite sentence and later ask you to come work for them, using your skills to help catch others like you.
I dont think such can happen in Nigeria.. Not on this era, how can they do so when they havnt been able to create Jobs for the majority
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by DaBullIT(m): 7:42am On Jul 17, 2016
Problem with age discrimination is not news

I would suggest for those who have advanced grin age and so far have no working experience to apply for internship with companies or individuals , this would help them meet the years of experience condition

Youths should pay attention, if you know you started late , failed a lot in secondary school or in UNI , start applying for internship now so that you Advanced age will tarry with your years of experience grin

My tithe to Nairaland grin grin
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by BizBloke(m): 7:44am On Jul 17, 2016
AntiWailer:
Very valid points you raised here but i think some employers have their reasons too.

This period, we have Head of units, departments etc in their early 30s or late 20s.

While the youths in the class you mentioned should be considered for experienced jobs, I dnt think they are ok for ENTRY LEVEL jobs.

It takes humility for the job not to be affected if a much older person is to report to the 'young' managers.

Also, the inertia to change to learn new things and a lot of other factors will affect the older ones.

All points are apt.

About the highlighted, it's prevalent in countries with high Hofstede's Power Distance Index like Nigeria. How does age apply in a workplace? I don't understand folks that think age should - and must - apply in a workplace.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Izonpikin: 7:48am On Jul 17, 2016
With a lot of strikes in our school system how can one acquire working experience early or be eligible for a graduate entry position....

We the youths are also lacklustre. ...We have not taken to the streets to cajole the NLC and whIchever authority to ensure this age thing is reviewed....We spend all our lives in the university, then engaged with the useless nysc time wasting scheme all to confront employers who tell us you must not be more than 25 years....rubbish.. angry
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by AntiWailer: 7:49am On Jul 17, 2016
BizBloke:

All points are apt.

About the highlighted, it's prevalent in countries with high Hofstede's Power Distance Index like Nigeria. How does age apply in a workplace? I don't understand folks that think age should - and must - apply in a workplace.

Like u stated. When we make points we can not forget the context or the environment.

It is sad but the truth is that age matters and affects productivity in Nigeria.

I have been part of several interview panel for old tech guys and all we did through out the interview was argue with the candidate

You can imagine what will happen when he comes in.

It is easier if he will come in as a manager, worst case he will blend the team to his philosophy.

He will definitely struggle as an entry level staff or member of the team we wanted to recruit him for.

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by BizBloke(m): 7:59am On Jul 17, 2016
AntiWailer:

Like u stated. When we make points we can not forget the context or the environment.

It is sad but the truth is that age matters and affects productivity in Nigeria.

I have been part of several interview panel for old tech guys and all we did through out the interview was argue with the candidate

You can imagine what will happen when he comes in.

It is easier if he will come in as a manager, worst case he will blend the team to his philosophy.

He will definitely struggle as an entry level staff or member of the team we wanted to recruit him for.
[b]
While it will be easier for him to come in as a manager, I don't feel (this is a feeling, probably not fact) that one who's not comfortable working with young folks or folks s(he)'s older than is supposed to work with that firm.

I've worked with someone way older than me; he felt proud and entitled always grin grin but I always told him, "I appreciate - and would always love to hear - your ideas/opinions but I take the final decision here. Not you." Didn't know for a long time he harboured some sort of resentment towards me. We had to split.

Then, I've worked with - and still work with - someone way older than me too but he's respectful and down to earth.

I've got every cause to believe that folks who don't feel okay answering to a superior who's younger in numerical age - yet older in business age, vertically or horizontally - have a character/personality flaw and if I'm in the HR team, that fella isn't going to work in that firm even if his certificates and experience shows he's fit for the job.

The disaster his non-inclusion of youngsters into the working team spirit will be more expensive than telling him, "I'm sorry but we can't offer you this job."

Respect - or the lack of - makes or mars, internally and/or externally.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by ReabridCharles(m): 8:05am On Jul 17, 2016
When I stated in another tread that the problem of dis country was neither GEJ or PMB but the system. Some folks wanted to tear off ma neck.

The system only cares about itself.

Imagine how difficult it is to start and finish school in time with the stress of Jamb and other examination bodies making it difficult. Then the society demands for experience, 5 yrs! Preposterous.

This is something that ordinarily should be looked into with a sense of urgency, but dis is Nigeria, you don't get what you expect, you get what you don't expect

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by AntiWailer: 8:07am On Jul 17, 2016
BizBloke:

[b]
While it will be easier for him to come in as a manager, I don't feel (this is a feeling, probably not fact) that one who's not comfortable working with young folks or folks s(he)'s older than is supposed to work with that firm.

I've worked with someone way older than me; he felt proud and entitled always grin grin but I always told him, "I appreciate - and would always love to hear - your ideas/opinions but I take the final decision here. Not you." Didn't know for a long time he harboured some sort of resentment towards me. We had to split.

Then, I've worked with - and still work with - someone way older than me too but he's respectful and down to earth.

I've got every cause to believe that folks who don't feel okay answering to a superior who's younger in numerical age - yet older in business age, vertically or horizontally - have a character/personality flaw and if I'm in the HR team, that fella isn't going to work in that firm even if his certificates and experience shows he's fit for the job.

The disaster his non-inclusion of youngsters into the working team spirit will be expensive than telling him, "I'm sorry but we can't offer you this job."[/b]

So you can imagine.

The guy was just arguing.

That is one of the reasons I said employers have their valid reasons.

I recall my first job, one of the interviewers told me they would have snatched an experienced guy from another competitor but the problem is that they don't want "stock fish" that you can not attempt to bend.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by blackprowler: 8:07am On Jul 17, 2016
My brother, I am the one you're talking about. I am now weak; I only abuse people now. Nigeria destroyed my life. When things go wrong for you and you're the victim, Nigerians don't pity you - they blame you. I am in my 40s now, wasting away. Do the maths, those in their 40s today are the ones whom Babangida destroyed their teenage and early youth years; they're the ones who had the misfortune of experiencing SAP riots, ASUU wars with FG, June 12, Shonekan riots, Abacha riots. One single generation. If I think back at these things, I start to cry. They destroyed my life. I was the top student in my secondary school WASC. I was from poor and ignorant parents and the first in all my extended family to be brilliant enough to aspire to university (not today when it is now the normal next step open to all clowns, hence the low quality). BABANGIDA corrupted the country and they destroyed JAMB and our results of 1990 became a joke due to leakage (never heard of) of the questions. I've never been the same. The kids of today are jokers. They have NO IDEA the hell we continue to live in. The society almost seems to carry on like we didn't exist. I brought up people in the present generation and can do comparisons. In my days, there were NO scholarships anywhere. Today, there are COUNTLESS scholarships, both by companies, individuals, state governments, Federal Government, both within Nigeria and remarkably, SO MANY ABROAD. There was just this BEA scholarships to the then Eastern Block during my time and the few recipients were either those in the order of having 7 straight A1s or having connections, maybe a total of a few scores of people all over Nigeria and they still pick by state quota and being from Edo, I was already disadvantaged. My life has been a tragedy for the very reason I set out in life to be a good honest boy who cared to have a better future and sacrificed so much for it. It has helped me conclude that THERE IS NO GOD CONTROLLING ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD. Most people will never know what I've seen in this life, hence they won't have a reason to come to that conclusion, except if they had the rare intellectual capacity to examine it.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

how To Keep Your Spirit High When Searching For Job In Nigeria / How To Apply Access Bank Entry-level Graduate Trainee Recruitment / Dangote Group Fresh Job Recruitment (19 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.