Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? (10675 Views)

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Ordeals Of A Nigerian Job Seeker In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by Amicable22: 9:44am On Feb 15, 2018
I am a serving Corper having about months left to finish service. I really want to know if having a professional certificate is really important in getting a good job or any job at all.
And can anyone(working class) vouch for CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF PROJECT MANAGEMENT?.. I am thinking of going for that.
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by adubam(m): 3:25pm On Feb 15, 2018
Amicable22:
I am a serving Corper having about months left to finish service. I really want to know if having a professional certificate is really important in getting a good job or any job at all.
And can anyone(working class) vouch for CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF PROJECT MANAGEMENT?.. I am thinking of going for that.

It's an added advantage.

In some profession like Accounting been a chartered accountant gives you level 10 even higher than MBA/Msc with level 9 as entry level.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by Amicable22: 5:11pm On Feb 15, 2018
Thanks a lot...I had interest in getting the ICAN CERTIFICATE but even as a Corper , it is quite costly (50k).. so I decided to leave it till when I get a better paying job. so I am thinking about getting the chartered institute of project management, they offer both the professional cert and a diploma and it costs just 26k...but my worry is, is it worth it?
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by och12(m): 12:46pm On Feb 16, 2018
What course did u study?

In my opinion, it is not very marketable.
I have a Project Management Professional Certification from Comptia Project+, an international body, I also possess a Customer Relationship Management Professional qualification, and both certifications are somehow limited. I'm presently writing ICAN now.
I'll advice you to go for a professional qualification that is marketable and highly in demand, if you can't afford ICAN nw, try to do NIM, CIBN or CITN they are cheaper, and will be more relevant than d project mangt.

2 Likes

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by Amicable22: 11:28pm On Feb 16, 2018
thanks a lot...I studied Business admin &mgt
.....I was totally discouraged in going for NIM...I was told it didn't really have any value in the job market.... I really appreciate your honesty. I'll try n raise up the money for the Ican examination.
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by step16(m): 10:42am On Feb 18, 2018
Any member of NIM here, has problem filling the referee, referee must be a member of NIM
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by simplemach(m): 7:18am On Feb 19, 2018
Just know the right people in the right places and with Olevel, you can be anywhere, this is Nigeria.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by lafuria1(m): 7:19am On Feb 19, 2018
Not important at all.
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by rxmusa(m): 7:21am On Feb 19, 2018
Depends on your profession

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:24am On Feb 19, 2018
my dear forget this professional certificate thing, that was how we were all lured into during our nysc days in Adamawa state....seek first a job now, then later go for them....your first prioty should and always be...getting a job after your service end..save your money n dnt spend the little you have on professional certificate.....
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by BruncleZuma: 7:25am On Feb 19, 2018
Important but I hope it's not those cherewere ones from NYSC camps?

3 Likes

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by OboOlora(f): 7:26am On Feb 19, 2018
Op, it depends on a lot of things; your profession, whether you plan to stay or relocate, whether you plan to work as an employee till you retire or you plan to start your own biz at 40 etc.

If you are a Dr or in one of the top medical fields, you don’t need any of those shitty certifications. A continuing education locally of foreign conferences will be just fine.

If you plan to relocate abroad, foreign certifications like PMI, ACCA or PHRi will be just fine.

But ask yourself, what are your long term goals?

3 Likes

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by free2ryhme: 7:27am On Feb 19, 2018
Amicable22:

It gives one an edge depending on the kind of job and how relevant that certificate is to the job you are trying to get

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by laivwire(m): 7:31am On Feb 19, 2018
My advice. For your course you don't know for sure what area of specialty you will dive into. Even MBBS is broad and Business admin has a lot of branches. Finish service first and start work. You will get a better view of your career direction and then you'll know what area to specialize in to make you more productive in your job: maybe Accounting, Sales, operations, Marketing etc

What you can do for now is get certified soft skills like computer appreciation, CRM software or heck learn a trade if you can.

Those are the skills that can assure you of getting some change once you're in the labor market

3 Likes

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by Fanatique: 7:31am On Feb 19, 2018
Hj
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by Allwility: 7:32am On Feb 19, 2018
I think we are getting the whole certification thingy wrong and recruiters in Nigeria are not even helping matters.

I feel recruiters' love for certificate is making young graduates set the cart before the horse. How can people be certified in what they have no practical experience about?

Personally, I'd place more value on a young graduate that has experience from tons of summer jobs than a corp member with one shinny professional certificate. The way we are going, we'll soon be hearing fresh graduates ask if they should go for IADC WellCAP or some certs meant for a toolpusher.

Truth is if you've got any summer job experience, you wouldn't need anyone to tell you which certification is preferable.

My 0.02

6 Likes

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by benebaby77: 7:33am On Feb 19, 2018
Amicable22:
Thanks a lot...I had interest in getting the ICAN CERTIFICATE but even as a Corper , it is quite costly (50k).. so I decided to leave it till when I get a better paying job. so I am thinking about getting the chartered institute of project management, they offer both the professional cert and a diploma and it costs just 26k...but my worry is, is it worth it?

Chartered Institute of Project Management is not quite popular and recognized. And don't mind those people in your services, 99.999% of their certificate are useless. You can't even use to get a cleaner job self.

Diploma for 26k? I no go talk

I would urge to find money and start your ICAN on time... It will help in labour market...

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by Letzdothething: 7:37am On Feb 19, 2018
Amicable22:
please it's safer to get job experience first. Job experience is more important as getting certified.

Trust me
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by jaymejate: 7:38am On Feb 19, 2018
As Useless As "k" In Knowledge. A Bro With A Professional Cert And Still Battling To Get Employed Cn Testify.

It May Also Depend On The Career Path Or The Field Of Study.

The Bro Above Me Has Made An Important Point Too. Get Experienced First, It Sells Faster Than Professional Certs In Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by blaise00700(m): 7:41am On Feb 19, 2018
For Information Technology related jobs, it is a must.

In my company, your professional certificate is more important than your degree.
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by tempex88(m): 7:54am On Feb 19, 2018
Start job before any prof cert. I had BEng but got job in accounting firm. Now am almost chartered.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by ajiantochi(m): 7:55am On Feb 19, 2018
op, don't get discouraged, I'm also into one of this professional courses, but mine is iipsm.. I'm also a corp member, be positive, what works for others might not work for you and vice versa..

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by Pharaoh001(f): 7:57am On Feb 19, 2018
Just be self employed.....

Nigeria Cert., are useless.....especially for your desired Career/job....
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by Toyeford900(m): 7:57am On Feb 19, 2018
Doing CITN also recognize. Having a degree in Nigeria the main thing and joining it with a standard professional. You can work in any firm or later create a contancy firm. Its pay in Nigeria.
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by mrphysics(m): 8:06am On Feb 19, 2018
Op, do not allow the comments above to discourage you. When I was serving, I was contacted by an agent of Novellecenter and I opened the first branch there in Kano. I though PMP and HSE yet I didn't have the certificate grin grin grin. Now after service, I started working and a PMP certificate becomes necessary. Novellecenter PMP cert for non corpers is 40k while its 20k for corps members. I am now faced with paying 100% to get the cert and that is the first step.

Your life is entirely different from others. They are people working with PMP alone. So you must get it now or pay tomorrow. Come to novellecenter Abuja and see how workers are registering for what people call rubbish.

The problem I have with getting the certificate is that you do not know anything about PMP and even those that teach you the PMP have little or no knowledge of the real world application. In my place of work, everything is project management and product management. When people do consultancy service, what they are indirectly doing is project management and business analysis. Every organization expecially the IT world needs project managers more than they need developers. You can always get a developer or a technical worker but you won't always get one with project management knowledge or business analysis knowledge more often.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by mrphysics(m): 8:07am On Feb 19, 2018
Pharaoh001:
Just be self employed.....
Nigeria Cert., are useless.....especially for your desired Career/job....

Come of them are not Nigerian certificates.You sit for the international exam in Nigeria. Kindly keep your thoughts positive.

warm regards
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by joedejoe: 8:08am On Feb 19, 2018
@OCH12
I am interested in Customer Relationship Management Professional Certificate.

Kindly advise.

Professional certificates have great value in getting a job and more so senior level management position. It is a requirement like your first degree and NYSC discharge/exemption certificate.
Go for NIM asap. Induction comes up in March.
God help you.
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by Flaghouse1: 8:08am On Feb 19, 2018
Amicable22:

Please share contacts of chartered institute of project management where it cost N26,000

Thanks
Re: How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? by Benjom(m): 8:17am On Feb 19, 2018
Trust me, getting that is important. Not only that but also others related to your career path. They simply magnify you. I've written thousands of CVs and I can authoritatively inform you that those certificates are like mini experience on their own.

The fastest way to a new job is with a new and AWESOME CV. Here are catchy samples for your use: https://.com/cv-samples/

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School / Apply For Sahara Group Limited Fresh Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / FG Denies Re-openning Of N-power Portal For New Applicants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.