Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,386 members, 7,954,562 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:19 PM

The United States, Saudi Arabia & Gender Apartheid - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The United States, Saudi Arabia & Gender Apartheid (990 Views)

A Man Sentenced To Death For Renouncing Islam In Saudi Arabia / Can A Muslim Be The President Of The United States? / Biblical Evidence To Backup The Non-use Of Earrings By The Female Gender (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The United States, Saudi Arabia & Gender Apartheid by DeepSight(m): 3:50pm On Sep 14, 2009
During the Apartheid years in South Africa, the world rallied against apartheid and eventually put it to the sword.

The Free World (the west) has always been quick to condemn countries that suppress basic human freedoms. The baic rights to freedom of speech, freedom of association, freedom of movement, freedom of thought, religion and conscience, freedom of choice of marriage partner and others are all rights that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia heavily suppresses - and particularly with regard to women.

I visited that Country recently and i must say that i was absolutely outraged at the level of gender - apartheid going on in that country. Women are altogether nothing but slaves, oppressed more intensely than blacks in South Africa ever were.

Women are not permitted to drive (Denial of Freedom of Movement).

Women are not permitted to go out in public without being supervised by a male relative (Denial of Freedom of Movement and Right to Privacy).

Women are forced to cover themselves from head to toe (Denial of Freedom of Choice, thought, Conscience).

Women are not permitted to travel without written permission from their husbands (Denial of Freedom of Movement).

Women are not allowed to talk to any man who is not a family member (Denial of Freedom of Association).

Women are forbidden to testify in judicial proceedings save where corroborated by a man (Denial of Fair Hearing).

Women are not permitted to chose their own spouses (Denial of Right to Chose Marriage Partner).

And many more.

When i see the manner in which the United States makes much noise about countries with supposedly poor human rights records, but keeps mum about the gender apartheid and institutionalized denial of womens rights in Saudi Arabia, i am utterly disgusted.

Rather than condemn such, you find Barack Obama going to kneel in front of the Saudi King. A champion of female oppression.

This is being posted on the Religion Section on account of the unfortunate fact that these anomalies in Saudi Society arise principally from the interpretation or application of Islamic Ethos.

Is the oppression of women and Denial of their civil rights in Saudi Arabia something that arises from Islamic Teaching?
Re: The United States, Saudi Arabia & Gender Apartheid by DeepSight(m): 4:25pm On Sep 14, 2009
I hope we can address this issue without Fanatism.
Re: The United States, Saudi Arabia & Gender Apartheid by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 14, 2009
@poster

its an unfortunate
Re: The United States, Saudi Arabia & Gender Apartheid by JeSoul(f): 5:23pm On Sep 14, 2009
Deep Sight:

When i see the manner in which the United States makes much noise about countries with supposedly poor human rights records, but keeps mum about the gender apartheid and institutionalized denial of womens rights in Saudi Arabia, i am utterly disgusted.
  Firstly, why should the USA be obligated to speak out about it? Quite often if America condemns an injustice, the rest of the world accuses her of meddling, if she doesn't they complain she remained indifferent because she stands to gain nothing. Most of the time America is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

Secondly, I think in a general sense, the world views human rights kinda seperate and different from women's rights. I know I do.

Thirdly, wasn't it recently in Sudan where some educated women were trying to campaign against head covering or something but a good portion of the traditional women came out against them? saying something to the effect of "we don't want these new modern ways"? Many times it seems they themselves are comfortable in the status quo and seem unwilling to fight for their own rights.

Is the oppression of women and Denial of their civil rights in Saudi Arabia something that arises from Islamic Teaching?
Well lets see, it cannot be a mere coincidence that women rights are practically non-existent in practially all Islamic countries can it? The evidence is overwhelming that Islam as a religion actively oppresses its women - systematically and unapologetically.
Re: The United States, Saudi Arabia & Gender Apartheid by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:16am On Jan 03, 2015
Just stumbled on this

(1) (Reply)

What's This Strange Feeling I'm Having? / Admission Into Word Of Hope Ministry Worldwide Bible College / The Truth About Tongues And Pentecostalism (part 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.