Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,414 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME (14672 Views)

ASUU Rejects Buhari's Dissolution Of OAU Governing Council / ASUU Rejects FG's Scrapping Of Post-UTME (See Why) / ASUU kicks against FG’s scrapping of Post-UTME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by khalhokage(m): 12:43pm On Jul 19, 2016
“The argument of Federal Government on the policy is unacceptable and potentially harmful to the future of Nigerian’s education system"

I fail to see how post utme has upheld Nigeria's education system when we still have 2.1 graduates that can't speak proper English even when it's a compulsory subject.
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Angrymode: 12:51pm On Jul 19, 2016
All those associated with ASUU are German-floored thieves. How has post-UME helped raised the standard of education so far?

In fact, anyone person involved in this protest shall die
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Boldwinner(m): 12:52pm On Jul 19, 2016
Bolustic:
Scrapping POST UTME is a no-no for me. Why should candidates who cheated all the way from O'Level to JAMB be granted admission over the genuine ones?

The Federal Ministry of Labour for kuku say make companies no dey do recruitment test again na. Na direct employment.

If FG premised the scrapping on financial burdens on parents, governments should provide post UTME grants to institutions to conduct the exams thus making it FREE for candidates.

Post UTME is the surest way of separating the wheats from the chaffs.

What makes you think that some of those who have successfully cheated through those levels don't still cheat through post UTME?
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Ayatullah(m): 12:55pm On Jul 19, 2016
ASUU, please be reasonable! Be sincere. Be bold enough to tell Nigerians that JAMB is a failure and should be scrapped.

You should therefore sponsor a Bill in the National Assembly calling for the scrapping of JAMB. This is the patriotic duty you owe Nigerians.

You should therefore forget the 'Ègúnje' (Easy Money) you are expecting from the sale of scratch cards for this year's Post-UTME.
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by mottecco: 12:56pm On Jul 19, 2016
When there was no post ume,the quality of university products was higher and better. Nigeria would become economically viable if we can get better human resources to manage our natural and capital resources.This era of EXPO has produced incompetent human resources as graduates.A country's economy is only as strong as its labour force who is responsible for turning natural resources into wealth.The economic reform is achievable with the right quality standard of education.For instance, I took only JAMB without post UME and EXPO cases were not rampant then the way they are now.We guys studied hard and acquired great mental strength to revolutionise any establishment.The era of private universities has even worsened the trend as some of them are into outrageous profiteering venture. I don't think there was any private university around when I gained admission.The future of education is in the past when there was less corruption, and when the search for money was not pestilently inordinate.
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by soleskate(m): 1:06pm On Jul 19, 2016
Bolustic:
Scrapping POST UTME is a no-no for me. Why should candidates who cheated all the way from O'Level to JAMB be granted admission over the genuine ones?

The Federal Ministry of Labour for kuku say make companies no dey do recruitment test again na. Na direct employment.

If FG premised the scrapping on financial burdens on parents, governments should provide post UTME grants to institutions to conduct the exams thus making it FREE for candidates.

Pls re-read ur comment.....what makes you think they won't cheat while writing post-utme or any exam...pls how do the Americans get admitted into a university?
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by hiffeholuwa(m): 1:07pm On Jul 19, 2016
SlimBrawnie:
Thiefs, ASUU o, JAMB o, and even Ministry of Edu.
So Post UTME determines the quality of education. They are all confused
I think it does to some extent. They use P.Utme to requlate the intakes which in turn influences d school standard.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Teespice(f): 1:13pm On Jul 19, 2016
Boldwinner:
Lol.. This is funny. As expected, once it comes to money, everyone rebels.

And by the way, I don't just get this line at all: "“portends a serious danger for the quality of education in Nigeria"

Like seriously, what's the current quality of education in Nigeria?

Danger to what exactly?

I noticed that particular line too.

post UME has never been the solution to the problem. the universities benefit from it financially.

are they saying it endangers quality education when half-baked graduates who cannot defend their certificates are churned out on a yearly basis.

ASUU has been pursuing their own interests from time immemorial, so they should say something else for a change.
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by busybraindaniel(m): 1:17pm On Jul 19, 2016
ASUU NA PDP MEMBERS[color=#006600][/color]
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Obiwiz(m): 1:23pm On Jul 19, 2016
Boldwinner:
Lol.. This is funny. As expected, once it comes to money, everyone rebels.

And by the way, I don't just get this line at all: "“portends a serious danger for the quality of education in Nigeria"

Like seriously, what's the current quality of education in Nigeria?

Danger to what exactly?
My fellow countryman, na dsame question dey my mouth to ask o. Members of ASUU are arguably the greatest danger to the quality of education in Nigeria(datz if dia fvckery, students victimization, random allotment of marks, grades racketeering etc has allowed any iota of quality to remain in the system).
Abeg nobody should come here and tell me lecturers are underpaid, because as an employee if you think ur services are undervalued by ur employer, then resignation is always an open option.
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Agboola321(m): 1:25pm On Jul 19, 2016
SlimBrawnie:
Thiefs, ASUU o, JAMB o, and even Ministry of Edu.
So Post UTME determines the quality of education. They are all confused

Post utme helps because so many students arent usually given their right jamb scores. Post Utme helps create a more reliable result. For instance, a student who pays for impersonation in his jamb and finally scores 300 would be taken over some other ones who score 270 or anything les than 300. The best is certainly left out just because of the cheater
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by JerryQ: 1:26pm On Jul 19, 2016
If WAEC, NECO and JAMB can be credible, there is absolutely no need for POST UME. Post UME was only useful before the advent of JAMB CBT as EXPO was too rampant. JAMB CBT system reduced EXPO from say 50% to 5%. By this achievement, it is only wise to remove POST UME as the EXPO problem has been greatly solved. What i was expecting from the educational authorities was to set up better structures that will further limit EXPO in WAEC, NECO, JAMB, JS3 EXAM, PRI 6 EXAMS. Miracle special centers are still holding their 'services'. I was in an exam center in the just concluded PRI 6 exam, the teachers and invigilators were the ones calling the answers to these kids....No 1 D, No 2 E, No3 'Fail'. if at this stage we are giving this kids an impression that 'you don't need to study', what do you think will be in them when they get to SS3? To me, our major energy should me on how to cob exam malpractice it is the major malady in our educational sector. we can start by arresting all those internet guys pasting their bank details everywhere asking students to pay them money for special assistance during exams and even go ahead to paste the answers online for their candidates to copy. But wait, is it true ADAMU ADAMU wants to also remove Common entrance? That i wont support as Common entrance is like JAMB for FGC's.
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by ideaz: 1:27pm On Jul 19, 2016
hiffeholuwa:

I think it does to some extent. They use P.Utme to requlate the intakes which in turn influences d school standard.

Not completely so.

JAMB knows the capacity of each departments for each school and was never sending more than the school will handle in the No P-UTME era. If you say that the schools use it to regulate who enters after their own personal candidates have been provisioned for then you will be right.

ASUU abeg let the poor with the brain have unrestricted access to our federal universities which may be their last hope for a decent life. These group may not be able to afford state universities let alone dare to think of the private ones. Give them a chance!
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by JerryQ: 1:38pm On Jul 19, 2016
Agboola321:

Post utme helps because so many students arent usually given their right jamb scores. Post Utme helps create a more reliable result. For instance, a student who pays for impersonation in his jamb and finally scores 300 would be taken over some other ones who score 270 or anything les than 300. The best is certainly left out just because of the cheater

And you think the person who did that will be hesitant to do same in POST UTME if given the opportunity? Our best bet will be to block the 'EXPO ROADs' as much as we can. I think this should be part of the 'change' we all want. I know what EXPO can do to a student. it makes a very bright brain dull. Exam Malpractice is a Malady! Believe me on this one.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by cyberguy72(m): 1:57pm On Jul 19, 2016
kode12:
trust me,the lost revenue is there only concern. If FG should stipulate a flat rate of N6000 as the screening fee,all these idiot Profs will shut up immediately.
You guys and misunderstandin ASUU,what they are emphasizing is that there should be a qualifyng exam,even though schools are still collecting N2500 for screening
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Austino50: 2:11pm On Jul 19, 2016
Those saying post UTME should remain...I ask during their time do they go through Jamb and post utme to gain admission into university then, is only in Nigeria universities you go through jamb and post utme for you to gain admission and at the end the certificate is not even recognise outside this country but with the same waec and neco result you can gain admission into schools in Europe and USA with certificate recognise all over the world, in fact Nigeria is a wrong place to be on earth as far as education and basic things of life is concern
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by kode12: 2:12pm On Jul 19, 2016
cyberguy72:
You guys and misunderstandin ASUU,what they are emphasizing is that there should be a qualifyng exam,even though schools are still collecting N2500 for screening
S.A,Ghana and most other African countries dont. So why should Nigeria have all these long line of unnecessary exams which still amount to nothing when at the end of the day almost 50% of students will get in via the back door. I still stand on my grounds that if FG should raise the fees to 6k ASUU will keep quiet. Theyre all about lost revenue here,especially with TSA squeezing them.All these while theyve been conducting PUME have they been able to use it to ensure that the best of students get admitted? Abeg jare e don tey wey nyash dey back.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 19, 2016
kode12:
trust me,the lost revenue is there only concern. If FG should stipulate a flat rate of N6000 as the screening fee,all these idiot Profs will shut up immediately.
That's not totally correct. The scrapping of post utme exams gives room for the highest bidder to get admission or from top citizens to be considered. Post utme was the only thing that reduced this act.
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Boldwinner(m): 2:31pm On Jul 19, 2016
Teespice:

I noticed that particular line too.

post UME has never been the solution to the problem. the universities benefit from it financially.

are they saying it endangers quality education when half-baked graduates who cannot defend their certificates are churned out on a yearly basis.

ASUU has been pursuing their own interests from time immemorial, so they should say something else for a change.

Thank you very much Teespice. That is the question we should ask them. Do you know that many graduates are continually screwed by our present system? They graduate without knowing how to do anything. Just holding useless paper certificates without having anything to offer. So how does scrapping of post UTME affect the current situation?
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by kode12: 2:39pm On Jul 19, 2016
asuustrike2009:

That's not totally correct. The scrapping of post utme exams gives room for the highest bidder to get admission or from top citizens to be considered. Post utme was the only thing that reduced this act.
My brother PUME should be scrapped,see in my family we all went to Uni without our parents making a single call or pulling any kind of string. I personally prevented my folks from making any kind of controls on my behalf and i still got admission into my choice course in a university i was told is very biased towards the Yorubas and i was in the first list then. So all these highest bidder story is just by the side,there's no where it doesnt happen. PUME is just an unnecessary redundancy in the cog of wheels of academic progress in this country. Besides i know people who specialize in going round the country writing PUME's for people. Youll be surpirised how much they make from beating the system that ASUU is clamoring for.
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by bisiboi(m): 3:17pm On Jul 19, 2016
mr adamu is causing idamu to Nigeria student self....scrap all uni make everybody involve in trading then................tfu

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by fmlala: 3:55pm On Jul 19, 2016
......very soon fg will declare that all coys must not conduct interview+test again, but direct employment.
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Yksoul(m): 4:14pm On Jul 19, 2016
FOR DECADES NOW, JAMB IS WHAT WE KNOW AS A GUARANTEE TO ADMISSION INTO HIGHER INSTITUTION.MOST OF THESE UNIVERSITIES KNOW THAT THEY MAKE A LOT OF MONEY THROUGH POST-UTME AND AT THE END OF THE DAY NEPOTISM WILL NOT MAKE SOME STUDENTS TO GAIN ADMISSION.ALSO,THEY TALK OF USING POST-UTME TO IMPROVE OR SCREEN QUALIFIED STUDENTS,WHY CANT THEY USE FIRST SEMESTER AND SECOND SEMESTER IN HUNDRED LEVEL TO SCREEN STUDENTS BEFORE WITHDRAWAL?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Akjr(m): 6:11pm On Jul 19, 2016
Dis ASUU are criminals. Danger because account go reduce ba... If no post utme exams, shebi dere r oda semester exams to screen students out.. What danger n value x he talking abt.. Does post UTME rank nigeria universities over Oxford b4
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by Rick9(m): 6:20pm On Jul 19, 2016
MadCow1:
@ your signature

angry
I quote just to laugh @ your Signature smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by ejimatic: 10:05pm On Jul 19, 2016
Asup is Not serious about its comments. What has post utme achievrd in nigeria? Is our education not worse? Post utme is only meant fr revenue generation? Thank you buhari govt for ending the 'money makingu business of the Universitas
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by freshcvvs: 11:08pm On Jul 19, 2016
Bolustic:

Simple: let the schools conduct POST-UTME for free if they so wish.
Re: ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME by geo4c: 1:06am On Jul 20, 2016
after last year's post utme.. some VC's received 2million naira each
buh its seems dis year.. after calculating the screening fee being 2500 nd number of candidates dat applied. each VC would b getting 300 000 naira each
if na u.. u nr go protest to bring postutme back
why now? why didn't ASUU reject it wen adamu adamu brought it public dat postutme should b scrapped
abeg make dem do jare... abi na Xmas time dey wan admit aspirants

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Has The Lowest Budget On Education, Here Are The Statistics / UNICAL Produces 12 First Class As 7,222 Graduate / Apply: 2017 Cowbell Mathematics Competition For Nigeria Secondary Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.