Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,200 members, 7,839,087 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Quick Review For A Website - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Quick Review For A Website (3911 Views)

Please I Need A Quick Review For My "Wiki" / Bloggers Submit Your Blog For Review For Blogworld Awards 2012 / Finally I Finished My Website (review) For Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 18, 2009
so afam, talking succesfull grin, start talking envato, lol
Re: Quick Review For A Website by dgreatrock(m): 10:13am On Sep 18, 2009
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 18, 2009
mr Afam.{ i kno kno ur a Mr) , i still appreciate what ur doing for your country but, time for a reality check, trends have changed.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 10:18am On Sep 18, 2009
seunnaija:

and about visitors, on my company sites, lmao, well u  "said" wrong, envato acquires at least 11 million hits a month across it's network of sites.FACT .chek it out yourself

Thanks for bringing this up. One way or the other we will learn a thing or two.

For your information hits does not translate into success neither does it prove that a website is doing well. If you are selling a service or a product and people are not paying for either even though millions visit your website everyday trust me the money that will be changing hands would be from your website to the web host for bandwidth and hosting space.

Chew on that. I thought the era of bragging about hits went away some years ago unless of course you are selling advertising space. Get your facts and priorities right lest you ridicule yourself and the company you represent on a public forum.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 18, 2009
dgreatrock -------- UI wise.i dare to say i like .but u and i know its a bit too "nairalandy" .ya digg
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 18, 2009
from your comments i can tell that uve been doing a lot of google or depending on ur own webdesign experience.well as far as tutorial sites are concerned hits are very important points of reference, you could chek one out yourself.

as in this case ur a web designer i'll let u on this one, http://net.tutsplus.com/
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 10:32am On Sep 18, 2009
seunnaija:

from your comments i can tell that uve been doing a lot of google or depending on your own webdesign experience.well as far as tutorial sites are concerned hits are very important points of reference, you could chek one out yourself.

as in this case your a web designer i'll let u on this one, http://net.tutsplus.com/

Is there no limit to your being wrong?

1. I am not a fan of google and I don't care about what it preaches because in the final analysis whatever it says it to support its business model.

2. I depend on results from web projects especially from clients who have contracted web projects to designs that know everything about design and graphics but lack relevant knowledge when it comes to functionality. So, when the clients are tired of beautiful graphics on their websites that fail to justify even the funds spent on setting up the websites they begin to look for people that can deliver websites that simply work. That is why I come in.

3. I am a web developer not a web designer. I handle stuff from programming, database, logical navigation and consistent look across all pages while maintaining reasonable download times. So, you can have a team of 50 people in your firm but if the websites you come up with don't justify the essence of setting them up trust me you will pack up sooner rather than later.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 18, 2009
meaning??/, r u resorting to envato being succesful or not, ?
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 18, 2009
well i'm not perfect .i could b wrong but in this case am not .am just having a somewhat intellectual debate with an equally intelligent developer who wont face facts.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 18, 2009
well as for wahtever title u hav dis time.thats your own.biz.but sorry about not givn u d right honour.web developer grin
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 18, 2009
com eto think of it, who called u a webdesigner?, anyway this is not an english thread, except of course u dont work with ur user interface designs,
Re: Quick Review For A Website by yawatide(f): 11:25am On Sep 18, 2009
seunnaija:

e never do you? angry angry angry angry
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 1:10pm On Sep 18, 2009
It seems that confusion has taken over and forgetfulness has become the order of the day.

seunnaija:

com eto think of it, who called u a webdesigner?, anyway this is not an english thread, except of course u dont work  with your user interface designs,

Hmmmm,

See below

seunnaija:

from your comments i can tell that uve been doing a lot of  google or depending on your own webdesign experience.well as far as tutorial sites are concerned hits are very important points of reference, you could chek one out yourself.

as in this case your a web designer i'll let u on this one, http://net.tutsplus.com/

grin shocked shocked grin
Re: Quick Review For A Website by biggjoe(m): 2:29pm On Sep 18, 2009
sad lipsrsealed
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 3:13pm On Sep 18, 2009
LMAO.

This is what happens when Web developers decide to become jack of all trades.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by yawatide(f): 3:29pm On Sep 18, 2009
Public Service Announcement:

Due to reports to the moderators, a few of the contributors to this thread have been notified. Hopefully, this will result in more civil discourse.

I decided to do this, as opposed to public admonishment/banning/thread-locking/post-deletion grin

Here's to better posts! cool
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 3:36pm On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine:

LMAO.

This is what happens when Web developers decide to become jack of all trades.

Considering the options when it comes to getting a good designer I can confidently state that though I am not a design person I will never hire any designer that has contributed to similar posts in the past including this one because majority of them clearly do not understand what works and what doesn't work on the web.

The proof is there. Websites are being shut down due to non performance thanks to the graphics laden static websites that have been coming up for some time now.

As to jack of all trades trust me it pays if you know what you are doing.

An example would suffice here.

It took just 5 hours to register a domain name, setup a web hosting account for the domain name, created a website from scratch including the programming involved and database stuff, uploaded same and the website became fully operational. Under 5 hours.

This is the website - www.ganiliveson.org

And the website is serving the purpose it was setup for.

This is what the web entails. Responsive, functionality, task focused, useful and reliable.

To the web designers who claim to know it all I will pay you one million naira cash if you can do same in the 20 hours.

Sometimes, I think frustration is responsible for some of the hate some of us put down here especially when we come across what we cannot do but see others doing.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 3:53pm On Sep 18, 2009
Considering the options when it comes to getting a good designer I can confidently state that though I am not a design person I will never hire any designer that has contributed to similar posts in the past including this one because majority of them clearly do not understand what works and what doesn't work on the web.

If they dont understand the web, how the heck can they be called Web designers.

Besides you dont understand the role of a web designer, you think its all about 'graphics' LOL

Anyway, i dont really blame you, getting a true web designer is hard.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 3:58pm On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine:

If they dont understand the web, how the heck can they be called Web designers.

Besides you dont understand the role of a web designer, you think its all about 'graphics' LOL

Anyway, i dont really blame you, getting a true web designer is hard.

Are web designers now into programming or database stuff?

I agree with you on the last statement, getting a true web designer is hard and that is why I will not fall for the elephant dancing graphics some of you produce and claim to be designers.

Now, are you a good web designer or a good one?

If your answer is in the positive is there a way to see what you have done because no reasonable person will take your word for it. Unless of course you hide all your work inside that cupboard in your bedroom.

Changing the background image of a free blog site is not what web design is all about.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 4:08pm On Sep 18, 2009
Web designers are required to know atleast,
the basics of whatever program their developer is working with.

Presently, im working with an Asp.net programmer,
im doing all my work inside Visual studio now.

I would like to think i could be a good web designer,
i dont design for web often, but i love the web and i read alot
about how to make the web a friendlier, functional, generally better place.

Changing the background image of a free blog site is not what web design is all about.
Everyone knows this, even chumpy the monkey.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 4:30pm On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine:

http://www.escrollfoundation.org/ <something>

My friend, this is what happens when you brag, make sly remarks and attempts to ridicule someone when you cannot even hold your own.

I clicked on the website you put down and after about 6 clicks I found the following

1. All projects likes - page opened with all the links dummy links

2. The build up the school wall - page opened with the title "build up the hospital wall" with the top drop down menu not working

3. Feedback link - page opened and I just clicked submit and got the following

Notice: Query failed: INSERT command denied to user 'escroll_escroll'@'localhost' for table 'feedback_tbl' SQL: INSERT INTO `escroll`.`feedback_tbl` (`serialnumber`, `message`, `feedbacktype`, `name`, `postdate`) VALUES (null, '', '', '', CURDATE()); in /home/escroll/public_html/include/classes/DB_LIB.php on line 105

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/escroll/public_html/include/classes/DB_LIB.php:105) in /home/escroll/public_html/postfeedback.php on line 11

4. Clicked on a link (http://www.escrollfoundation.org/index.php?action=viewres&id=19) under related articles and got a web page with 2 complete copies of the same site one on top of the other.

Conclusion

1. You have chided and thrown words on this thread as if you were very good with design

2. Even the design on the website have some basic issues like hover color of links being almost the same color as the background

3. The programming part is having some issues for example the only task I clicked on to see validation and/or insert operation with the error reproduced above

So, when people ask for reviews, provide them, correct them as no one is perfect and in correcting them do not insult them or attempt to ridicule them because in reality those you choose to ridicule may just know far more than you know even in the area you think you are an expert in.

I am a chemical engineer with process engineering work experience.

Today, I build about the most reliable inverters in this country (have not touched a generator in over 5 years in my office).

Today, I develop fully functional websites with database and programming included for individuals and even custom software (from the same web skills) for multinationals.

My point is that knowledge is out there for anyone that wants to learn.

However, in learning you must be humble and you must avoid trying to ridicule people as you may end up being ridiculed yourself.

Enjoy the long weekend/holiday ahead.

NB: If you need any help with your programming let me know and I will offer you the help at no charge just as I setup the www.ganiliveson.org at no charge.

Programming languages may differ but the logic behind any program can easily be implemented using any programming language.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by yawatide(f): 4:42pm On Sep 18, 2009

No need going there, Gamine
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 4:46pm On Sep 18, 2009
Yeah well, developers need to get off their high horses once in a while
Re: Quick Review For A Website by yawatide(f): 4:50pm On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine:
The SQL error on the contact page (after you hit submit, without filling out any fields) is pretty serious. Hopefully, the site hasn't made it to production yet.

It might be something the programmer should know.

Notice: Query failed: INSERT command denied to user 'escroll_escroll'@'localhost' for table 'feedback_tbl' SQL: INSERT INTO `escroll`.`feedback_tbl` (`serialnumber`, `message`, `feedbacktype`, `name`, `postdate`) VALUES (null, '', '', '', CURDATE()); in /home/escroll/public_html/include/classes/DB_LIB.php on line 105

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/escroll/public_html/include/classes/DB_LIB.php:105) in /home/escroll/public_html/postfeedback.php on line 11
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 4:52pm On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine:

My friend, this is what happens when you brag, make sly remarks and attempts to ridicule someone when you cannot even hold your own.

I clicked on the website you put down and after about 6 clicks I found the following

2. The build up the school wall - page opened with the title "build up the hospital wall" with the top drop down menu not working

4. Clicked on a link (http://www.escrollfoundation.org/index.php?action=viewres&id=19) under related articles and got a web page with 2 complete copies of the same site one on top of the other.

Conclusion

1. You have chided and thrown words on this thread as if you were very good with design

2. Even the design on the website have some basic issues like hover color of links being almost the same color as the background

3. The programming part is having some issues for example the only task I clicked on to see validation and/or insert operation with the error reproduced above

So, when people ask for reviews, provide them, correct them as no one is perfect and in correcting them do not insult them or attempt to ridicule them because in reality those you choose to ridicule may just know far more than you know even in the area you think you are an expert in.

Today, I build about the most reliable inverters in this country (have not touched a generator in over 5 years in my office).

Today, I develop fully functional websites with database and programming included for individuals and even custom software (from the same web skills) for multinationals.

However, in learning you must be humble and you must avoid trying to ridicule people as you may end up being ridiculed yourself.

NB: If you need any help with your programming let me know and I will offer you the help at no charge just as I setup the www.ganiliveson.org at no charge.

Programming languages may differ but the logic behind any program can easily be implemented using any programming language.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by yawatide(f): 5:19pm On Sep 18, 2009
"afam":

Gamine:
When you brag and make sly remarks and attempts to ridicule someone, you cannot even hold your own.

Here is a site review for the URL you posted:

1. All projects links - page opened with all the links dummy links

2. The build up the school wall - page opened with the title "build up the hospital wall" with the
top drop down menu not working

3. Feedback link - page opened and I just clicked submit and got the following:

Conclusion:

Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 5:25pm On Sep 18, 2009
i didnt do any programming on that site.

i just designed the structure, but they are taking it down anyway.

i was just trying to show Afam, that it isnt just about 'graphics'
Re: Quick Review For A Website by yawatide(f): 5:36pm On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine, noted.  Out of curiousity, when you say you didn't do any programming, what do you mean? 

Regardless, It doesn't matter though, IMHO, as when you show someone a site, they don't go asking, "was this site designed and developed by 2 different people?"  All they see is that the site is jacked up and as far as visuals go, the designer owns it.

My point still remains though that the site wasn't ready for prime time, graphics or coding aside.  There are other issues with the site but I just wanted to bring up the most obvious one.  I guess you should have come up with a more complete/better-working site as a basis of comparison with respect to the goings-on on this thread. 

As you said the site will be coming down soon so let's leave it at that.

Note to everyone:
Borrow a leaf from my signature and don't resort to calling people names.  Issues never get solved this way.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 5:38pm On Sep 18, 2009
Nigeria we hail thee! I no fit shout.

Gamine:

Conclusion

Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 5:46pm On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine, noted. Out of curiousity, when you say you didn't do any programming, what do you mean?

Regardless, It doesn't matter though, IMHO, as when you show someone a site, they don't go asking, "was this site designed and developed by 2 different people?" All they see is that the site is jacked up and as far as visuals go, the designer owns it.

My point still remains though that the site wasn't ready for prime time, graphics or coding aside. There are other issues with the site but I just wanted to bring up the most obvious one. I guess you should have come up with a more complete/better-working site as a basis of comparison with respect to the goings-on on this thread.

As you said the site will be coming down soon so let's leave it at that.

I dont know how to explain that again, i am not a programmer.

We were talking about specific stuff, i didnt put up the site for a 'review' or for comparism
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 5:51pm On Sep 18, 2009
Conclusion

Dude you are just babbling

no one asked for your CV.

i am an engineer too

CSS, Javascript >> programming to me.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 5:53pm On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine:

I dont know how to explain that again, i am not a programmer.

We were talking about specific stuff, i didnt put up the site for a 'review' or for comparism

It seems the chicken has finally come home to roost.

We learn everyday trust me.

Meanwhile, is the job of the web designer in this case just to tell them use red background, pink text and black link?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Php/mysql. Does Every Php Script Need A Database? / Which Website Has The Best VTU Api ? / Has The Nigerian Web Community Come Of Age Yet?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.