Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,812 members, 7,810,116 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

What Would Happen If There Were No Police? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What Would Happen If There Were No Police? (1551 Views)

Oh No! Police Arrests Man For Asking Of Directions In Port Harcourt / No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Mobile Phone / No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Would Happen If There Were No Police? by BizLifeE: 10:18pm On Jul 21, 2016
If there were no police, most violent crime rates would actually go down. Only the rate of one type of crime would go up.

No, I’m not being tricky and saying “crime rates” would go down because of no police to record the statistics. I literally mean that fewer violent crimes would happen, with the exception of one particular type of violent crime.

The reason the rates of all other violent crimes would go down is precisely because this other type of violent crime would skyrocket.

Lynchings of innocent people would skyrocket. Oh, society would also lynch a lot of violent people. Without all the Constitutional restrictions that police have to obey, ordinary people would catch and punish a far higher percentage of violent bad guys, murderers, robbers, rapists, child molesters, than the police are able to catch and prosecute.

“My neighbor’s kid said this guy touched her inappropriately. Get a rope.”

Yes, lots of innocents would die too. That’s the one crime rate that would skyrocket. The cops occasionally kill innocents. The cops and court system occasionally convict and imprison innocents. Every instance of this is an individual tragedy. Without cops and courts, that problem would be many orders of magnitude worse with those tragedies being the expected norm rather than a rare aberration.

Remember, always remember, that the cops DO NOT exist to protect you from bad guys. The cops exist to protect you when your neighbors think you’re a bad guy. This is why we take an oath to uphold the Constitution, but do not take an oath to enforce the statutory criminal laws. It’s ok if we have to let a lot of suspected bad guys go as long as we are strictly following all of the rules designed to prevent punishment of the innocent to the greatest extent possible. We only have to catch enough actual bad guys to keep you from feeling like you have to do it yourself.

We only have to make efforts to catch bad guys so that the general public won’t do it. Of course, we LIKE catching bad guys too. It feels great when you do it. It DOES make the community safer when we get a dangerous bad guy off the street. All I’m saying is that the community would take care of those bad guys themselves if we weren’t there, and they would actually get more bad guys that we do because they wouldn’t have Constitutional restrictions. The downside would be all of the innocent guys they would lynch in the process.

I have a perfect example:

WAR STORY

A couple years ago there was a report of a man in a red truck exposing himself to some young girls in a particular neighborhood and trying to get them to go with him. These reports were highly exaggerated. There WAS an incident of suspicious behavior by a man in a red truck directed at a couple of young girls, but he did NOT expose himself or ask them to go with him. He didn’t break any laws at all. Just acted kind of creepy - suspicious. I talked to those girls myself, so I knew this to be true. However, this story got magnified and expanded until there were several versions of the story floating around this close-knit neighborhood. Facebook was blowing up. Pretty soon, a half dozen different versions of this story were floating around, and people, hearing all these different stories started to believe that they were actually half a dozen different incidents. There was a mania of people actually going out to find red trucks in the neighborhood and get their plates for the police.

Now, like I said, ALL of this was just rumor and panic caused by rumors stemming from that one suspicious but mostly harmless incident. I know, because I tracked down every rumor, every lead to its source whenever possible. Still, even though I knew there was no real indication of danger to this neighborhood from a man in a red truck, I patrolled that neighborhood vigorously and extensively. I got cops on other shifts to do the same, and they agreed wholeheartedly that it should be done. My boss gave me an attaboy for recommending this extra patrol. Why did we do this when we knew there was no danger from the man in the red truck?

We did it to protect any random man in a red truck who happened to drive slowly through that neighborhood. There was an extreme danger to men in red trucks for several weeks in that area. If people hadn’t seen ME working hard chasing down leads and giving a general impression of trying to catch the bad guy for them, they would have definitely been out there trying to catch the bad guy themselves. As it was, I had plenty of “volunteer help” in getting license plates and such, but if “the police” hadn’t been there, somebody in a red truck would have probably died.

So, that’s what would happen if there were no police. people would absolutely go to extremes to either kill suspected violent criminals or beat them up and “exile” them from their towns. Remember stories about the old days, when American society was more anarchic? They would beat a guy, dip him in tar, and stick feathers to him before making him straddle a rail and running him out of town on it. All of that, after a conviction in the “court of public opinion.” Having a professional police department all but eliminates the possibility of your neighbors doing that to you, at least in modern times.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-would-happen-if-there-were-no-police

Neteller here: www..com.ng

(1) (Reply)

Beware Of This Prabably New "Kidnappers" "Cultist" Scam I Experienced This Week. / Prison Where Strippers Entertain Prisoners In South Africa (photos) / Federal Revenue Task Corps Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.