Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,800 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria (41470 Views)

Latest Webometrics Ranking For Nigerian Universities July 2017 / Covenant University Tops In Research Endeavors Among World Universities / Webometrics Ranking Of Universities/Polytechnics In Nigeria - 2017 Edition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 24, 2016
marvelife:

you know why i won't abuse you?
Ignorance at its peaks is affecting u

U have nothing to say my dear.
Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 24, 2016
Don't get carried away, this is just openness ranking which says nothing about excellence or impact.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by MedicalSamwise(m): 4:28pm On Jul 24, 2016
Victurh:
LAUTECH!

Gbayii.. .. how strike my fellow ladokitelad grin ;Dokite grin
Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by MedicalSamwise(m): 4:33pm On Jul 24, 2016
Vhalentino09:
Best state University, LAUTECH. #proud_alumnus

Proud ladokite... .# Representing
Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 24, 2016
MedicalSamwise:

grin
MedicalSamwise:

Boss mi! I be Oau student, I no be Lautech student, buh I'm a real fan of the school. I'm coming dier next session, I no lyk d course wey dem gv me for here. Oau and Lautech, dem be lyk 5&6 for strike
Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 24, 2016
MedicalSamwise:

This units and strike sef. Strike ain't fun bro. It's a very terrible time waster
Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by Rashield8: 6:25pm On Jul 24, 2016
Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by TheVictorious(m): 8:14pm On Jul 24, 2016
bizme:
Don't get carried away, this is just openness ranking which says nothing about excellence or impact.

I said all these in that post I wonder why people don't read elaborately. someone has even created a counter thread SMH.

1 Like

Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by Vivipop(f): 10:50am On Jul 25, 2016
marvelife:

waoo great lioness how's your day going ?
I graduated in the best faculty , social science
wha abt you
Of the greatest!!! Physical Science
Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by Pedagogue: 3:13pm On Jul 26, 2016
Thanks @ Rash for your suggestion!

This is a straightforward response to this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/3241884/webometrics-transparent-ranking-universities-2016

That thread is an eye-opener. Many Nigerian graduates/students are too lazy to sieve through information. Rather than think through the so-called Universities Ranking, many went into a ridiculous frenzy as a result of the 'favourable' ratings given to their universities. All else is lost if graduates/students cannot read between the lines and verify any information they read.

The most intriguing comment I read is from a purporting student of OAU who ignorantly bashed his Uni because of the vaunted ranking.

The Webometric Transparency Rating is not based on academic excellence. But rather, it is mainly based on the number of 'Google Scholar profiles' which are linked to a University. It has NOTHING to do with the academic standard of a University.

Little wonder that many of the best Universities in the world are not in the Top 10. Please see below:

1 Harvard University
2 Stanford University
3 Johns Hopkins University
4 University of California Berkeley
5 University of Chicago
6 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
7 University of Cambridge
8 Michigan State University
9 University of Oxford
10 Columbia University New York
11 University College London
12 University of Michigan
13 University of California San Diego
14 Yale University
15 McMaster University
16 Duke University
17 University of California Los Angeles UCLA
18 Temple University
19 Princeton University
20 Carnegie Mellon University

http://www.webometrics.info/en/node/169

From the list, you will see that many Fifth rate Universities are in the Top 10. For example, a University like Michigan State University that consistently ranks very Low in the US and the World is ranked ahead of Oxford, Yale and many other Universities. According to THE TIMES, Michigan State University is ranked 99th in the world.

See https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/michigan-state-university

Moreover, Yale is ranked 14th while John Hopkins, Berkeley, Chicago and Michigan State Universities are ranked 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th respectively. Does it mean that these Universities are better than Yale, Cambridge and Oxford? No! Not in this world. This same logic applies to IFE and UNILAG that are ranked quite low in the so-called Transparency Ranking.

As mentioned earlier, the Transparent Webometric Ranking is based on the number of google scholar accounts linked to a University. It should not be confused with the main WEBOMETRIC RANKING OF UNIVERSITIES. Although it is also CONTROVERSIAL (as it is not a measurement of the quality of a University), it is, however, the MAIN Webometric Ranking. Fascinatingly, UNN that is Rated 1st (because of the number of Google Scholar Profiles linked to the University) is ranked 8th in the main 2016 Webometric Ranking.

Please see the link: http://www.webometrics.info/en/Africa/Nigeria

Let me use this opportunity to emphasise that ALL our Universities are below world standards. We need a complete overhaul of our educational system.

@Seun Osewa, @Lalasticlala, @olawalebabs, @Fynestboi, @Richiez, @Mukina2- Front page, please.
Re: Webometrics Transparent Ranking Of Universities 2016: UNN Tops In Nigeria by TheVictorious(m): 9:14am On Jul 30, 2016
Pedagogue:
Thanks @ Rash for your suggestion!

This is a straightforward response to this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/3241884/webometrics-transparent-ranking-universities-2016

That thread is an eye-opener. Many Nigerian graduates/students are too lazy to sieve through information. Rather than think through the so-called Universities Ranking, many went into a ridiculous frenzy as a result of the 'favourable' ratings given to their universities. All else is lost if graduates/students cannot read between the lines and verify any information they read.

The most intriguing comment I read is from a purporting student of OAU who ignorantly bashed his Uni because of the vaunted ranking.

The Webometric Transparency Rating is not based on academic excellence. But rather, it is mainly based on the number of 'Google Scholar profiles' which are linked to a University. It has NOTHING to do with the academic standard of a University.

Little wonder that many of the best Universities in the world are not in the Top 10. Please see below:

1 Harvard University
2 Stanford University
3 Johns Hopkins University
4 University of California Berkeley
5 University of Chicago
6 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
7 University of Cambridge
8 Michigan State University
9 University of Oxford
10 Columbia University New York
11 University College London
12 University of Michigan
13 University of California San Diego
14 Yale University
15 McMaster University
16 Duke University
17 University of California Los Angeles UCLA
18 Temple University
19 Princeton University
20 Carnegie Mellon University

http://www.webometrics.info/en/node/169

From the list, you will see that many Fifth rate Universities are in the Top 10. For example, a University like Michigan State University that consistently ranks very Low in the US and the World is ranked ahead of Oxford, Yale and many other Universities. According to THE TIMES, Michigan State University is ranked 99th in the world.

See https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/michigan-state-university

Moreover, Yale is ranked 14th while John Hopkins, Berkeley, Chicago and Michigan State Universities are ranked 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th respectively. Does it mean that these Universities are better than Yale, Cambridge and Oxford? No! Not in this world. This same logic applies to IFE and UNILAG that are ranked quite low in the so-called Transparency Ranking.

As mentioned earlier, the Transparent Webometric Ranking is based on the number of google scholar accounts linked to a University. It should not be confused with the main WEBOMETRIC RANKING OF UNIVERSITIES. Although it is also CONTROVERSIAL (as it is not a measurement of the quality of a University), it is, however, the MAIN Webometric Ranking. Fascinatingly, UNN that is Rated 1st (because of the number of Google Scholar Profiles linked to the University) is ranked 8th in the main 2016 Webometric Ranking.

Please see the link: http://www.webometrics.info/en/Africa/Nigeria

Let me use this opportunity to emphasise that ALL our Universities are below world standards. We need a complete overhaul of our educational system.

@Seun Osewa, @Lalasticlala, @olawalebabs, @Fynestboi, @Richiez, @Mukina2- Front page, please.

The July 2016 final ranking has just been released now by webometrics. see www.nairaland.com/3258037/final-webometrics-ranking-16-released#48019210

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ritualists Now Attacking Schools (photos) / Nigerian Female Lawyer And Her Father: Before And After Photos / Kim Ung-yong, The Man Who Scored The Highest IQ Ever As A Kid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.