Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:44 AM

How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events (9078 Views)

Why Do Atheists Shift The Burden Of Proof? / Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality / Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by shadeyinka(m): 12:17pm On Jul 23, 2016
I watched on YouTube an event that is an aftermath of the so called Third Eye Opening. By the way, opening of ones third eye is an extreemly dangerous spiritual activity. Pls do not attempt it for Christ's sake

What intrigued me was, how do atheists explain away these kinds of events. If spirits, demons and God Almighty do not exist, how can science explain them.

Just one example a girl certainly below ten year old can read while blindfolded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLkzg8bFgA

I need ALL atheists in the house to comment. Other paranormal experiences with so much documentation is Near death experiences.
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Niflheim(m): 1:54pm On Jul 23, 2016
@OP, good day Sir!!!
I have gone through the article and this is what I discovered.

1.The young lady was tested by only "two" people.

2.One of the two people who tested her was a "court reporter".

3.A guy who claimed to have similar powers, was tested live on Japanese Tv!!! He was ordered to first put cellotape on his eyeballs and then put on the blindfold and start reading!!! All of a sudden, his 'so-called' magical ability disappeared!!!

4. She has a big chance to win lots of money, just by demonstrating her "Jean Grey" abilities under controlled conditions!!!

6 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by shadeyinka(m): 9:48pm On Jul 23, 2016
I am sure you know that I do not approve of a person opening his/her third eye. However, I could not help marveling at the video.

-In the clip, she did a demonstration before an audience.
-She acted as a normal child would (I am not a psychologist).. but she looked normal.

In my view, it is either
1. A well planed conspiracy
2. A reality

The video does not look edited.

I guess you should try the same thing with ONE layer of ANKARA cloth and see if you can read your own writeup.

I think you are too critical. Your point number 3 is no point at all. When it comes to spiritism, fakes are not uncommon.
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by ifenes(m): 10:15pm On Jul 23, 2016
Without one's eyes, you become more aware of other senses. How does a blind Steven Wonder play the piano so well? Did he need a god? He is more aware of sound vibrations. According to him he could hear the sound of a pin drop when surrounded by sound. We as humans are too dependant on the common 5 senses, hence we think without them we are useless.

The third eyes is a sense you can develope to be more refined and accurate than just being a hunch. It is natural, it is a combination of all your senses working together to form a more powerful unit.

4 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by winner01(m): 10:29pm On Jul 23, 2016
The late Australian atheist philosopher John Smart reveals the lengths that he would go to in order to explain away a miracle if he witnessed one:

“someone who has naturalistic preconceptions will always in fact find some naturalistic explanation more plausible than a supernatural one… Suppose that I woke up in the night and saw the stars arranged in shapes that spelt out the Apostle’s Creed. I would know that astronomically it is impossible that stars should have changed their positions. I don’t know what I would think. Perhaps I would think that I was dreaming or that I had gone mad. What if everyone else seemed to me to be telling me that the same thing had happened? Then I might not only think that I had gone mad – I would probably go mad”

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Crazyfinedude: 11:35pm On Jul 23, 2016
winner01:
The late Australian atheist philosopher John Smart reveals the lengths that he would go to in order to explain away a miracle if he witnessed one:

“someone who has naturalistic preconceptions will always in fact find some naturalistic explanation more plausible than a supernatural one… Suppose that I woke up in the night and saw the stars arranged in shapes that spelt out the Apostle’s Creed. I would know that astronomically it is impossible that stars should have changed their positions. I don’t know what I would think. Perhaps I would think that I was dreaming or that I had gone mad. What if everyone else seemed to me to be telling me that the same thing had happened? Then I might not only think that I had gone mad – I would probably go mad”

Bro . I'm still waiting for SonOfLucifer to disprove that miracle I shared with him . I simply want to see how he is going to explain away the miracle .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by winner01(m): 11:38pm On Jul 23, 2016
Crazyfinedude:

Bro . I'm still waiting for SonOfLucifer to disprove that miracle I shared with him . I simply want to see how he is going to explain away the miracle .
Lol grin
Brace yourself Bro. An atheist will find a way to explain the supernatural, even if he has to be dishonest. ....

2 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Crazyfinedude: 11:40pm On Jul 23, 2016
ifenes:
Without one's eyes, you become more aware of other senses. How does a blind Steven Wonder play the piano so well? Did he need a god? He is more aware of sound vibrations. According to him he could hear the sound of a pin drop when surrounded by sound. We as humans are too dependant on the common 5 senses, hence we think without them we are useless.

The third eyes is a sense you can develope to be more refined and accurate than just being a hunch. It is natural, it is a combination of all your senses working together to form a more powerful unit.

Mr man , how can someone read while being blindfolded ? Explain
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 23, 2016
winner01:
Lol grin
Brace yourself Bro. An atheist will find a way to explain the supernatural, even if he has to be dishonest. ....

Yep even if it means declaring that another big bang just occurred 5 minutes ago

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by shadeyinka(m): 11:52pm On Jul 23, 2016
ifenes:

I wish you will first introduce yourself either as a Theist or an Atheist.

If I assume that you are an Atheist, then your argument of other senses does not hold water. Why? Because those other senses you talk about are metaphysical and cannot be explained by any scientific means.

Is it possible to believe in the metaphysical and still be an Atheist?
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by shadeyinka(m): 12:02am On Jul 24, 2016
winner01:

This long grammar and Turenchi simply means that no amount of Evidence can convince an Atheist. His conclusion "there CANNOT BE THE SPIRITUAL RHELM" is the only evidence that will satisfy him.

What a way to kill TRUTH!
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Crazyfinedude: 12:09am On Jul 24, 2016
winner01:
Lol grin

I even gave him options on that thread to choose from , I still don't know why he couldn't just pick any of the possible smart explaining away I gave as opitions grin .

SonOfLucifer , please prove to me that miracle is fake . LOGICAL FREE THINKER , where art thou ?

mrZENographer:

I see big miracles in my church "The Lord's Chosen" every service. Don't startle me with your blunt attitude.
Have I not posted here how I carried a 21 years born-muslim-cripple to a February crusade 2016 and he was healed by the "Only good God." What no man could do, he did it and today my convert is walking. grin

Also today "AND THE ENEMIES SUBMITTED" I witnessed so many miracles including a man that was brought blind to church who started see during the instant testimonies section. Please am not among those you can put in your rabbit purse. Biblical miracles are still happening as powerful and mysterious as it was in old times. You can keep running and belching around your rabbit hole or else come and see the mysterious power of God in action. Thank you scorner for reading.

How on earth will he even inveigle me into accepting the miracle is fake . I'm a church member , I've seen so many , even better ones with my own eyes . If all these miracles are fake that means there must be a village where they practice these arts of subterfuge and then the people are sent to every Chosen branch in Nigeria to pose as testifiers including me grin . For 10 complete years , the testimonies and testifiers with their names and location printed bodly after their testimonies and their photos , all in the testimony magazines .

The day I shared my testimony it was scrutinized before I gave it . I was asked different questions to ascertain if its actually a testimony or not . People get turned away if they (testimony interviewers ) see that its not really a testimony or your testimomy's veracity is questionable . The testimony interviewer is part of the congregation - a worker in the church in fact .

How are all these fake for Christ sake I need answers please . I'm too smart to blown away by foolish responses . SonOfLucifer , you can call any of your crew to help instead of evading the question for a week now .

cc : Seun , Dalaman , Ifenes

2 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Crazyfinedude: 12:12am On Jul 24, 2016
shadeyinka:

Those atheists that believe in spiri spiri are in another level of confusion grin grin . One day ... one day .. na me and ifenes . I hope he will not run away
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by winner01(m): 12:15am On Jul 24, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Yep even if it means declaring that another big bang just occurred 5 minutes ago
Lol... those guys could be funny. grin
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Seun(m): 12:17am On Jul 24, 2016
A Youtube commenter already explained it. He said "Her nose creates a gap in the blindfold. She can see anything that's below her head. Is this a joke?" I blindfolded myself in the same way the girl was blindfolded and indeed, I could see through the gaps on the left and right of my nose.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by winner01(m): 12:17am On Jul 24, 2016
shadeyinka:

This long grammar and Turenchi simply means that no amount of Evidence can convince an Atheist. His conclusion "there CANNOT BE THE SPIRITUAL RHELM" is the only evidence that will satisfy him.

Exactly!!

No amount of evidence!
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Crazyfinedude: 12:21am On Jul 24, 2016
Seun:
A Youtube commenter already explained it. He said "Her nose creates a gap in the blindfold. She can see anything that's below her head. Is this a joke?" I blindfolded myself in the same way the girl was blindfolded and indeed, I could see through the gaps on the left and right of my nose.

Its called explaining away sir . That's what the topic is about . We need reasonable answers not assumptions . Anyone can assume to remain obdurate about his opinion on a particular subject .

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Crazyfinedude: 12:29am On Jul 24, 2016
@ Seun , that's the problem with you atheists . You were not present at the event , you quickly make random assumptions and then conclude that the experience is fake - that's a CONJECTURE . And there is nothing rational about conjectures .

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by shadeyinka(m): 12:33am On Jul 24, 2016
Crazyfinedude:

Those atheists that believe in spiri spiri are in another level of confusion grin grin . One day ... one day .. na me and ifenes . I hope he will not run away

LOL...
Spiritual Atheists!
Spirit believing Atheists!!

Many Atheist run away when the foundation of their believe is being shaken by the force of logics and facts like my good friend frank317.

I wish donnffd will also contribute...I just like that guy. I only wish that he doesn't carry out his hatred against God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Seun(m): 12:37am On Jul 24, 2016
Crazyfinedude:
Its called explaining away sir . That's what the topic is about . We need reasonable answers not assumptions. Anyone can assume to remain obdurate about his opinion on a particular subject .
It's reasonable to assume that it's a magic trick. Magicians have done more impressive tricks without any supernatural powers whatsoever. David Copperfield made the statue of liberty disappear and it was merely a trick. People who know a little about magic won't be fooled.

Another child with the same so-called power tried to win a million dollars by proving her super power to a magician (James Randi) and she failed after the magician figured out and blocked her trick:
Ashen-faced and weeping, ten-year-old Natalia Lulova sat dejectedly in a Manhattan law office last week while her mother stroked her hair, consoling her. Natalia, who with her family emigrated from Russia three years ago and now lives in Brooklyn, had just failed to win a million dollar prize offered by the James Randi Educational Foundation to anyone who can demonstrate paranormal, supernatural or occult power. It was still another of the seemingly endless setbacks to purveyors of the paranormal.

Natalia's claim, put forth by her lawyer, was that she could both read and discern colors while blindfolded. How? By sheer mental perception. She had willingly submitted to the Million Dollar Challenge, a test proposed by investigator James Randi and agreed to by her lawyer and by her coach, Mark Komissarov, a Russian chemical engineer and expatriate who now specializes in teaching pupils to develop what he considers to be their innate paranormal powers.
Full story: http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,199773,00.html

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by shadeyinka(m): 12:45am On Jul 24, 2016
Seun:

Let's assume that is true, a gap in the blindfold. By my estimation, the angle of Accomodation of her sight should be less than 5o. For an eye that is not covered, the effective angle of Accomodation is greater than 130o. That means that she will only be able to read those papers when they are placed within that narrow range.

With the way that girl effortlessly read the papers, that is not possible.

Will you please look closely at the video and judge? Or better still, RECREATE your own version...since you are not an expert, you only need to be correct 50% of the time.

Show us that you are reasonable when you encounter facts.

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Seun(m): 1:04am On Jul 24, 2016
According to wikipedia, many people over the years have claimed to have this ability. All of them have been exposed as fraudsters. Source.

shadeyinka:
Let's assume that is true, a gap in the blindfold. By my estimation, the angle of Accomodation of her sight should be less than 5o. For an eye that is not covered, the effective angle of Accomodation is greater than 130o. That means that she will only be able to read those papers when they are placed within that narrow range.
With the way that girl effortlessly read the papers, that is not possible.
All she needs to do is turn her head briefly so that she can see the papers through the gap for a split second. By moving her head in a natural way and only glancing very briefly, she creates the illusion of effortlessness which is what really sells the trick to us and makes it seem real.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by dalaman: 1:05am On Jul 24, 2016
shadeyinka:

What do you mean that no amount of evidence will convince the atheist? Provide objective evidence and see how people will be convinced, so far non has been provided. A million dollars has been placed by James Randi for any body that can demonstrate the Para normal to demonstrate it and win the money. Many people tried and they ALL failed. All the tricks they used were exposed. No body won the money despite all the attempts. Winner01 will just use a qoute from one atheist and try to make it as a general quote from all atheist forgetting that the person whose quote he used represents only himself and does not speak for the next atheist. I can easily get foolish comments from christians or muslims and put as as the standard position of all christians or muslims but I know that it will be foolish to do that.

Why is it that it is only when it comes to religion and evidence the theist always hide by saying even when they provide evidence people will not believe? Demonstrate your abilities clearly and watch how people will believe and have their minds changed. Darren Brown has used a lot of tricks on atheist and convinced them that the paranormal is real, many of them believed until at the end he told them he used tricks on them. His videos are all over YouTube. Car manufacturers and engineers always demonstrate their abilities and many people believe them. Why can't the theist do same. If miracles are real then heal am amputee and restore their amputated limbs back. Something that can never be disputed. If the paranormal is real then fly from US to Nigeria on a broom and let everybody see you do it. Clear cut evidence please. So far no clear cut evidence has ever been provided by any body making any paranormal or miraculous claims and for years all those that went from the James Randi test of the paranormal have all failed.

8 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by shadeyinka(m): 1:08am On Jul 24, 2016
Seun:
It's reasonable to assume that it's a magic trick. Magicians have done more impressive tricks without any supernatural powers whatsoever. David Copperfield made the statue of liberty disappear and it was merely a trick. People who know a little about magic won't be fooled.

Another child with the same so-called power tried to win a million dollars by proving her super power to a magician (James Randi) and she failed after the magician figured out and blocked her trick:

Full story: http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,199773,00.html

Your argument is just like,
NEWS: "A Boeing 747 plane crashed yesterday in India"
ATHEIST: This is a proof that planes cannot fly.

Watch the clip again and propose how the "Magic Trick" could have been done. Have you noticed that with all our science, our car sometimes decides not to start for no apparent reason: do we crucify every vehicle because of this. Would we not assume that if our car does not start, something must be wrong?
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by dalaman: 1:12am On Jul 24, 2016
shadeyinka:

Your argument is just like,
NEWS: "A Boeing 747 plane crashed yesterday in India"
ATHEIST: This is a proof that planes cannot fly.

Watch the clip again and propose how the "Magic Trick" could have been done. Have you noticed that with all our science, our car sometimes decides not to start for no apparent reason: do we crucify every vehicle because of this. Would we not assume that if our car does not start, something must be wrong?

He doesn't need to know the reason. All he needs to know is that tricks were involved. You do not know how tricks are done and tou are busy insisting that it must be supernatural. How do you know? Ok you explain how the supernatural could have worked in this instance. Give us a detailed explanation of how the supernatural worked in this instance.
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by shadeyinka(m): 1:15am On Jul 24, 2016
Seun:
According to wikipedia, many people over the years have claimed to have this ability. All of them have been exposed as fraudsters. Source.

All she needs to do is turn her head briefly so that she can see the papers through the gap for a split second. By moving her head in a natural way and only glancing very briefly, she creates the illusion of effortlessness which is what really sells the trick to us and makes it seem real.

Enu run ro'fo.
Sorry, is a Yoruba proverb, it literally means its easy to use your mouth (by speaking) to cook a delicious vegetable soup.

All she needs to do is what? Have you tried it?

A demonstration from you will rest the case
Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Nobody: 1:26am On Jul 24, 2016
just Wikipedia...... ? Seun you can do better

Seun:

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by shadeyinka(m): 1:28am On Jul 24, 2016
dalaman:

What do you mean that no amount of evidence will convince the atheist? Provide objective evidence and see how people will be convinced, so far non has been provided. A million dollars has been placed by James Randi for any body that can demonstrate the Para normal to demonstrate it and win the money. Many people tried and they ALL failed. All the tricks they used were exposed. No body won the money despite all the attempts. Winner01 will just use a qoute from one atheist and try to make it as a general quote from all atheist forgetting that the person whose quote he used represents only himself and does not speak for the next atheist. I can easily get foolish comments from christians or muslims and put as as the standard position of all christians or muslims but I know that it will be foolish to do that.

Why is it that it is only when it comes to religion and evidence the theist always hide by saying even when they provide evidence people will not believe? Demonstrate your abilities clearly and watch how people will believe and have their minds changed. Darren Brown has used a lot of tricks on atheist and convinced them that the paranormal is real, many of them believed until at the end he told them he used tricks on them. His videos are all over YouTube. Car manufacturers and engineers always demonstrate their abilities and many people believe them. Why can't the theist do same. If miracles are real then heal am amputee and restore their amputated limbs back. Something that can never be disputed. If the paranormal is real then fly from US to Nigeria on a broom and let everybody see you do it. Clear cut evidence please. So far no clear cut evidence has ever been provided by any body making any paranormal or miraculous claims and for years all those that went from the James Randi test of the paranormal have all failed.

It is clear that you do not understand the spiritual rhelm. The rules are very different from that of the Physical. Often in the spiritual, you are not fully in control of the consequences of your action.

Its like a circus where you have animals trained to jump through a hoop or other things. The animals could choose not to jump...but its not a proof that the animals cannot jump through the hoop.

My Uncle was healed of Blindness during a Deeper life crusade at Ilorin a few years ago. His eyes just suddenly opened. If you like call it a coincidence...but then, a coincidence which takes place only when prayers are going on should be termed as miracles

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by ifenes(m): 1:32am On Jul 24, 2016
shadeyinka:

I wish you will first introduce yourself either as a Theist or an Atheist.

If I assume that you are an Atheist, then your argument of other senses does not hold water. Why? Because those other senses you talk about are metaphysical and cannot be explained by any scientific means.

Lets just say I am very much beyond your kindergarten level. Atheism is the disbelief in a god which is one of my many features.I am also into Philosophy,Sexology,Astrology,Psychology etc. I cover all human aspect of being.

Metaphysics is an advance knowledge of how physical perception works. Metaphysics is the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, identity, time, and space.

To me the bible is an Astrological book. Well I know you probably do not know that and that is why you are a christian.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by ifenes(m): 1:34am On Jul 24, 2016
Crazyfinedude:

Mr man , how can someone read while being blindfolded ? Explain

The blind have special books just like they play musical instruments.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Seun(m): 1:35am On Jul 24, 2016
Another way to achieve this trick is by using a blindfold made of a material that looks opaque to the audience but which you can still see through. Another way is to wear an ear-piece through which an assistant can describe things that you were unable to see using the other methods. If you combine the three techniques intelligently, you can fool almost anybody into thinking that you have a third eye.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Atheists Explain Away Paranormal Events by Crazyfinedude: 1:40am On Jul 24, 2016
dalaman:

1 . No christian will go there because God does not need to entertain fools

2. Even Satan will dissuade his myrmidons from going there - "the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he does not exist" . He knows God will not show up for scrutiny , so why should he ? It will simply clear doubts in the minds of the atheists and others over God's existence and not even him but it simply shows the supernatural does exist . Satan might even be running that show that closely examines supernatural and suppressing any evidence grin grin grin

3. Not everyone knows about it anyway .

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Valentine's Day Special: Share Your Favorite Love Song For God / Where Is Ife Oodaye Located? / Trinitarians - Is there One Throne In Heaven Or Three ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.