Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? (11494 Views)

I Recently Lost My High Paying Job And I'm At A Crossroads On What To Do Next / I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings / Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by RuggedArab: 11:39am On Jul 24, 2016
I have been thinking how you combine your job and your Masters (full time) program. I know some people that have started their M.sc but could not complete it because of their job.

Some of them say they could not create time to attend 50% of lectures. Most times they go into the exam not knowing what to write. One of my close pal even tried to finish but did not write his thesis because there was no time for him to do it.

Now, over to you that have been combining your job and your Masters program and those that have completed theirs while working; How did you combine both?

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by braine(m): 12:07pm On Jul 24, 2016
Working and doing full time masters is suicidal.

Except its your personal business, then you're free. But if you work for an organization??

Even my weekend classes is affecting me talkess of if I had taken full time.

7 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by RuggedArab: 12:14pm On Jul 24, 2016
braine:
Working and doing full time masters is suicidal.

Except its your personal business, then you're free. But if you work for an organization??

Even my weekend classes is affecting me talkess of if I had taken full time.

Most times they say it is fulltime but the students do fix their classes.

Now you do the weekend class, is the stress worth it? Do you see yourself finishing the program?

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by braine(m): 12:25pm On Jul 24, 2016
RuggedArab:

Most times they say it is fulltime but the students do fix their classes.

Now you do the weekend class, is the stress worth it? Do you see yourself finishing the program?

Only a few department s allow that. Coz the lecturers may not be available at whatever time they choose.

Ofcoz the stress is worth it, nothing good comes easily.

6 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Obito555(m): 7:35am On May 24, 2018
Currently doing my B.Eng program I had to tell my boss to permit me to travel on Fridays for weekend lectures which he willing accepted, if not for the opportunity it would have being very difficult.

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by kolawoleibukun2: 7:35am On May 24, 2018
it is called determination and focus. Know your priorities and cut off the excesses. Technology has made everything easy. Having a 9-5 is not an excuse. Go for your M.sc just start. once you begin the rest is history. you will meet your target by force or fun

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Notmyproblem: 7:36am On May 24, 2018
About 3/4 of Nigerians doing their masters abroad work and school more than half work more than 8 hours shift and still go to school full time.

Well I understand that the circumstances in Nigeria is different.

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by project4OO: 7:36am On May 24, 2018
The world is evolving, there are thousands of alternatives for 100% classroom learning.

Some (Professional) Master's programmes are based on 100% Coursework, Group learning and Dissertations, rendering classroom study almost irrelevant.

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:37am On May 24, 2018
Depends tho. Mostly here in Maiduguri students fix their classes... from Fridays to Sundays. NGOs close by 1pm on fridays and mostly don't work on saturdays
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Cutehector(m): 7:38am On May 24, 2018
I can do it if its abroad, but in Nigeria, sorry I will dump the masters degree like say na pure water sachet

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Culin(f): 7:39am On May 24, 2018
Is that even possible? except for a post graduate diploma but I've not seen anybody with a job running a successful masters program.. exceeeeept those ones who want to spend 5years running a masters program cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Mikeross62: 7:39am On May 24, 2018
From experience it is very stressful
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Tychamps(m): 7:40am On May 24, 2018
The same way MSc student does it
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Unlimited22: 7:42am On May 24, 2018
If you can afford it, try learning online from an open admissions University abroad, or the open University in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Nopeace4dwicked: 7:42am On May 24, 2018
First and foremost, it depends were u work, secondly, ur position/level at workplace, den nature of work u do. Once all dis are clearly stated. Den we no if u can combine full time Msc and work.tanx

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by vikkyade89: 7:43am On May 24, 2018
Bros, u can stay at home and get ur MSC in some schs, all those uniport, unicab etc.. But ifnu want a beta education, it's full time.. Go to Ife or ui

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Ryanfolly: 7:43am On May 24, 2018
I will recommend National Open University for you here in Nigeria while you can try Walden university abroad as well.
i bet that you will find it interesting.................cheers

10 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by esthel(f): 7:46am On May 24, 2018
i dont know how but people get it done, just find your way around it.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by mamapidgin: 7:47am On May 24, 2018
the best masters program to do for someone working is to do a part-time masters program except u do ur job online, where u don't need to go to work on daily basis, anywhere with internet facility is ur workplace, u can run a full time master program successfully.

I know a computer scientist that is about to start his PhD now after d successful completion of his masters full-time. and he is still gainfully employed online.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Unlimited22: 7:48am On May 24, 2018
Ryanfolly:
I will recommend National Open University for you here in Nigeria while you can try Walden university abroad as well.
i bet that you will find it interesting.................cheers
Walden University US, or Athabasca University Canada. It's so much better as you learn at your pace.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Unlimited22: 7:48am On May 24, 2018
vikkyade89:
Bros, u can stay at home and get ur MSC in some schs, all those uniport, unicab etc.. But ifnu want a beta education, it's full time.. Go to Ife or ui
Here we go....
Smh

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Mechatronix: 7:54am On May 24, 2018
I am currently running my masters and I am employed. My department allows students to restructure the lecture time-table to suit them. Also, I have formally taken permission from my organization and they are magnanimous enough to give me some days off in a week. It's a full time program but we only use three week days. I can say it's not easy but with determination and resolve, it's possible. Note that my organizaion is private.

RuggedArab:
I have been thinking how you combine your job and your Masters (full time) program. I know some people that have started their M.sc but could not complete it because of their job.

Some of them say they could not create time to attend 50% of lectures. Most times they go into the exam not knowing what to write. One of my close pal even tried to finish but did not write his thesis because there was no time for him to do it.

Now, over to you that have been combining your job and your Masters program and those that have completed theirs while working; How did you combine both?

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Nobody: 7:56am On May 24, 2018
I have a full time job and I'm running two part time MSc... time management and discipline is important.

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by ademoladeji(m): 7:58am On May 24, 2018
RuggedArab:

Eazi for me tho.

I started my programme (Meng. Water Resources and Environmental Engineering) in 2016 while working with a water engineering company.

I remembered the MD told me that therewon't be room for studying and working during my interview. So, I resigned my post to develop myself.

I cannot subject myself to Employment slavery after obtaining all required certification as far asEngineering is concerned in Nigeria.

In a space of 3 weeks, i got an offer to work in a telecommunication infrastructure provider company and I had to tell the HR that I'm having a running programme at the University of Ibadan which she agreed to.

As a field guy, I made sure I had a very good rapport with my academic colleagues as well as my vendors on site.

To be honest, I only attended class 4 times in first semester, twice in second and only had my supervisor to romance in third.

By God's grace, I have my M.eng and I still have my employment status intact.

What make it easier is as follows

Zeal
Nature of job / employer's understanding
Course of study
Proximity job-school

9 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Nobody: 8:01am On May 24, 2018
Work as a teaching assistant in a good university.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Angelawhite(m): 8:04am On May 24, 2018
I'm currently running an M.sc program (full time)
If I see a good job offer, I won't hesitate to drop the program

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Nobody: 8:10am On May 24, 2018
mamapidgin:
the best masters program to do for someone working is to do a part-time masters program except u do ur job online, where u don't need to go to work on daily basis, anywhere with internet facility is ur workplace, u can run a full time master program successfully.

I know a computer scientist that is about to start his PhD now after d successful completion of his masters full-time. and he is still gainfully employed online.
I guess its easier for him because of his field, how could, say, a pharmacist or a civil engineer be gainfully employed online? And working online allows him to have flexible work hours. . .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow / Three Tips For Changing Your Career, Without Starting Over / The Role Of Nurses In The Nigerian Healthcare System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.