Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,853 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

The Builder ( A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Builder ( A Short Story) (2280 Views)

Book Review: "The Builder Never Stops" - Nelson Igwe Uko / Indispensible Nation Builder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Builder ( A Short Story) by bibijay123(f): 11:25am On Jul 25, 2016
The Builder

My name is Peter Ajayi ( not real name). I have been working with my boss who owns a construction company for over fifteen years. My boss trusted me so much because he had tried me on several occasions and each time i passed his little test. Over the years my boss came to rely on me as i have helped him built so many houses which was sold for millions of naira. Sometimes, my boss would ask me to solely head some major construction works in other states because of the love and trust he had for me.

My boss never for once questioned any quotation i take to him, he never questioned me about how the money was spent, he only comes to check the project when it was completed. One day, my boss called me into his office and showed me some architectural plans of houses, he asked me to choose a plan i like and I did.
He asked how much will complete the project and I told him. The plan was a two story building, with a pool at the back and six parking spaces. My boss transferred the money into my account without any question.

Unknown to my boss, i have been using substandard building materials, i always slashed the money in two and put the bigger portion into my personal account. Instead of building a house with 25 years or more life span i build one with give or take ten years life span.

This time around i bought very cheap substandard materials, hired some young and hungry bricklayers to build the house. After the house has been completed, my boss called me and said he has no plans of selling the new house, that he plans to use it as a relaxation place for his family. He asked me to invite my family for the house warming.

During the house warming, my boss gave a long speech, praising me for my hard work and loyalty over the years and on that note, he handed me the keys to the house. That was my payment for my hard work over the years, i was stunned. This was a house that won't last more than ten years, this was the house i used very substandard materials to build. This was my own retirement gift.

Tears of regret filled my eyes on that day. I thought i was cheating my boss but i only ended up cheating myself. I don't know what to do, i can't demolish the house and build a new one, am afraid to move in with my family as the house was built on shaky grounds and i had used really substandard materials for it.

If you were in my shoes what would you do?

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by johnwizey: 12:04pm On Jul 25, 2016
grin grin grin U don enta one chance nw. When the say you reap watever u sow, you think say na wash

1 Like

Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by bibijay123(f): 1:02pm On Jul 25, 2016
johnwizey:
grin grin grin U don enta one chance nw. When the say you reap watever u sow, you think say na wash

Loool Abi grin
Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by johnwizey: 1:06pm On Jul 25, 2016
bibijay123:

Loool Abi grin
He should be made to pack in with his extended family too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by SmartestPopQUEEN(f): 1:25pm On Jul 25, 2016
Funny! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by bibijay123(f): 1:50pm On Jul 25, 2016
johnwizey:
He should be made to pack in with his extended family too

Looool grin
Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by TheSociopath(m): 4:42pm On Jul 25, 2016
He has been paid back in his very own coin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by bibijay123(f): 5:20pm On Jul 25, 2016
TheSociopath:
He has been paid back in his very own coin

Yes ooo cheesy
Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by Uthman51(m): 3:35pm On Jul 26, 2016
Make him stay d house for like five years den demolish and build another one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by bibijay123(f): 8:21pm On Jul 26, 2016
Uthman51:
Make him stay d house for like five years den demolish and build another one

Beautiful but is that not being penny wise and pound foolish? grin
Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by Nobody: 4:36am On Aug 06, 2016
Dis matter mess come add salt....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by bibijay123(f): 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2016
paulosp:
Dis matter mess come add salt....

Loool grin
Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by brajy(m): 6:24pm On Aug 10, 2016
Nemesis will always catch up when you least expected! what you sow, shall u reap!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 10:46pm On Aug 10, 2016
A fine story with a moral lesson.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by Pchinak: 5:27pm On Aug 17, 2016
@Bibijay, not so sure i see the dilemma there. His boss sells substandard buildings and have been making money all the while, now the crooked ajayi has got a shot at making his own money. I see nothing stopping him from selling the house and adding the money to the ones he already fraudulently made from the building.

"Allen avenue" drew me to literature section...to your topics, you're a good story teller. Lest I forget, happy birthday in arrears, hope you had a blast, many happy returns.
Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by bibijay123(f): 6:22pm On Aug 17, 2016
Pchinak:
@Bibijay, not so sure i see the dilemma there. His boss sells substandard buildings and have been making money all the while, now the crooked ajayi has got a shot at making his own money. I see nothing stopping him from selling the house and adding the money to the ones he already fraudulently made from the building.

"Allen avenue" drew me to literature section...to your topics, you're a good story teller. Lest I forget, happy birthday in arrears, hope you had a blast, many happy returns.

Okay so u feel he should sell the house abi? That's a good one. Yea i had a blast, thanks!
Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by Jay542(m): 2:45pm On Sep 01, 2016
Rebuild the house or better still complain bitterly about the location of the house to him and how it doesn't go with your taste. Suggest selling to him and I'm sure he won't deny her that.
Re: The Builder ( A Short Story) by emmabest2000(m): 9:05am On Dec 09, 2017
The Builder

My name is Peter Ajayi ( not real name). I have been working with my boss who owns a construction company for over fifteen years. My boss trusted me so much because he had tried me on several occasions and each time i passed his little test. Over the years my boss came to rely on me as i have helped him built so many houses which was sold for millions of naira. Sometimes, my boss would ask me to solely head some major construction works in other states because of the love and trust he had for me.

My boss never for once questioned any quotation i take to him, he never questioned me about how the money was spent, he only comes to check the project when it was completed. One day, my boss called me into his office and showed me some architectural plans of houses, he asked me to choose a plan i like and I did.
He asked how much will complete the project and I told him. The plan was a two story building, with a pool at the back and six parking spaces. My boss transferred the money into my account without any question.

Unknown to my boss, i have been using substandard building materials, i always slashed the money in two and put the bigger portion into my personal account. Instead of building a house with 25 years or more life span i build one with give or take ten years life span.

This time around i bought very cheap substandard materials, hired some young and hungry bricklayers to build the house. After the house has been completed, my boss called me and said he has no plans of selling the new house, that he plans to use it as a relaxation place for his family. He asked me to invite my family for the house warming.

During the house warming, my boss gave a long speech, praising me for my hard work and loyalty over the years and on that note, he handed me the keys to the house. That was my payment for my hard work over the years, i was stunned. This was a house that won't last more than ten years, this was the house i used very substandard materials to build. This was my own retirement gift.

Tears of regret filled my eyes on that day. I thought i was cheating my boss but i only ended up cheating myself. I don't know what to do, i can't demolish the house and build a new one, am afraid to move in with my family as the house was built on shaky grounds and i had used really substandard materials for it.

If you were in my shoes what would you do? [/quote]

(1) (Reply)

Sniper (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) / The Thing Around Your Waist / The Essence Of Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.