Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,805 members, 7,827,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Excessive Hair In Women - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Excessive Hair In Women (1548 Views)

How To Grow My Facial Hair In A Month. / Natural Hair In Nigeria Today / If You Talk Too Much: Health Effects Of Excessive Talkativeness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excessive Hair In Women by spartoo: 6:40pm On Jul 25, 2016
Ever wondered why some women have beard, hairy legs, arms, chest etc.

Excessive or unwanted hair that grows on a woman’s body and face is called hirsutism. All women have facial and body hair, but the hair is usually very fine and light in color.
The main difference between normal hair on a woman’s body and face (often called “peach fuzz”) and hirsutism is the texture. Excessive or unwanted hair that grows on a woman’s face, arms, back, or chest is usually coarse and dark. The growth pattern of hirsutism in women is similar to that of normal hair growth in males.
The presence of excess body hair can be embarrassing, but it isn’t dangerous. However, the hormonal imbalance that can lead to hirsutism may compromise a woman’s health.

CAUSES
Women develop excessive body or facial hair due to higher-than-normal levels of male hormones. Male hormones are called androgens, and they include testosterone. All females produce androgens, but the levels normally remain low. Certain medical conditions can cause a woman to produce too many androgens, causing male-pattern hair growth and other unwanted male characteristics, such as a deep voice.
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is one common cause of hirsutism. Benign cysts that form on the ovaries can affect hormone production, leading to irregular menstrual cycles and decreased fertility.
Other forms of hormonal imbalance that cause excessive hair growth include the following adrenal gland disorders: adrenal cancer, adrenal tumors, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, cushing disease
The adrenal glands are located just above your kidneys and are responsible for hormone production. People with congenital adrenal hyperplasia are born without an enzyme that’s necessary for hormone production. Those with Cushing disease have higher-than-normal levels of cortisol. Cortisol is sometimes called the “stress hormone.” All of these conditions can affect the way your body produces androgens.
In addition, Hirsutism tends to run in families. You may be more likely to have unwanted hair growth if your mother, sister, or another female relative also has it.

TREATMENT
Drug therapy in the form of anti-androgen medications and birth control pills are medical means that can help balance your hormone levels. Birth control pills may also cause the cysts on your ovaries to shrink. These drugs are usually a long-term solution for hirsutism. You will most likely notice improvement after three to six months of drug therapy.
Laser hair removal and electrolysis are non-medical but effective ways to permanently eliminate coarse, unwanted hair. Laser hair removal involves using concentrated light rays to damage your hair follicles. Damaged follicles can’t produce hair, and the hair that’s present falls out. Electrolysis is the removal of hair using an electric current. Both of these methods can be expensive and require several sessions to achieve the desired results.

Re: Excessive Hair In Women by TITOBIGZ(m): 8:42pm On Jul 25, 2016
I Just Knew it,dat I go see ds gurl's Pishure grin

1 Like

Re: Excessive Hair In Women by spartoo: 8:58pm On Jul 25, 2016
TITOBIGZ:

grin we are proud of her naa
Re: Excessive Hair In Women by Lordmykel(m): 11:42pm On Jul 25, 2016
TITOBIGZ:
you took it out of my fingers grin

1 Like

Re: Excessive Hair In Women by spartoo: 11:50pm On Jul 25, 2016
Uncle lalasticlala cum and see ooo grin

(1) (Reply)

Things To Take Note If You Haven’t Seen Your Result JAMB Result / I Lost My School Fees Originally Receipt, How Can I Get Back? / Why Studying In Sweden Is A Great Idea?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.