Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) (49225 Views)

6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos / Oworo Land: Where The Tongue Includes Igbo, Yoruba Words And Chief Bears Nupe / Some Endangered Yoruba Words (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Saladin1: 12:16am On Jul 28, 2016
Landmark225:
Nice

But please don't claim pidgin words as yoruba.

SONG IN YORUBA IS ORIN

GBEDU is pidgin

Thanks

Ajebo gotten from Ajebutter is also pidgin

Then again, wahala is hausa which further derived from wahl an
arabic word which means trouble.

You see your life? So the popularity of those Yoruba words have confused you well that's the purpose of the thread,to remind folks like you the source of your most cherished pidgin.
Gbedu ~ sound/beats(I guess that's too deep for you to understand in Yoruba.
Ajebutter ~ Yoruba for someone who is accustomed to eating butter
Wahala ~ yes from Arabic, Yoruba and Hausa borrowed it but it is still Yoruba.
Why not give it up for the Oga patapata of all Nigerian languages
PROUDLY YORUBA

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by kayfra: 4:54pm On Jul 28, 2016
Patapata - the end, zenith, acme
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by SonofDevil: 3:25pm On Aug 13, 2016
K
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by hinohsend: 4:43pm On Aug 24, 2016
Landmark225:

I am from ile ife, mother from iseyin

Or isn't that enough to be Yoruba?

Or is it because i'm not Supremacist like you? LOL
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Marcelini(m): 11:42pm On Aug 24, 2016
No Igbo person born and raised in Igboland uses "Igbedu". The correct thing is Egwu or party.

No one uses Lobatan here.

Intact it would appear Yorubas think Nigeria starts and end in SW.

A typical Igbo man will say: You kwanu, and not " You nko".
The only Yoruba word used in Igbo townships is "Oga".

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Nostradamus: 11:46am On Jul 09, 2017
omo odua gidi ni mi,proudly Yoruba!!!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Basic123: 7:23pm On Jul 13, 2017
haffaze777:

Sorry alubarika isn't Hausa language bro,both Hausa and yoruba borrow it from Arabic
Abi oooo.even majority of words that have similar meaning with hausas are not borrowed from hausa but Mali.Just like Islam came to yoruba land from Mali(reason why islam is called IMOLE in yoruba language)

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by TunnyOgunnowo(m): 7:56pm On Jul 14, 2017
5 interesting things about the Yoruba People

The Yoruba race is more or less a collection of diverse people bound together by language, culture and history. The Yoruba people are a distinguished people and are well-known as the home to one of Africa’s richest cultures. Here are 5 interesting things about the Yoruba people.

The Yorubas are Among the Most Urbanized People in Africa
This is because centuries before the arrival of the British colonial administration, most Yoruba people already lived in well-structured urban centers. These centers were organized around powerful city states called ‘Ilu’, which were centered around the residence of the Oba. In other words, before the coming of the British colonial masters, the Yoruba people were already organized under the rule of their Oba.

Yorubas are very Expressive People
This is particularly seen in the way they speak and converse with one another. It is also seen in their colourful festivals and celebrations. From wedding ceremonies, naming ceremonies, housewarming parties and even burials, you cannot deny the rich and ostentatious style and ceremonial nature of the people of the culture.

The Yoruba People are One of the Largest Ethnic Groups in Africa
This is according to the CIA World Factbook Report of 2013. The Yoruba people constitute over 40 million people found in most parts of the world, with the largest concentration in Nigeria.

When a Child is Born in Yorubaland, the Naming Ceremony is Carried Out After 8 Days
Regardless of modernization, the Yoruba people still cling dearly to most of their cultural and traditional practices, and the above traditional practice is one of them. After a period of eight days, a naming ceremony is held for a new born where close relatives are invited.

The Yoruba Language Has Many Dialects
The Yoruba language is a tonal language and is a Niger-Congo language that has the largest number of native speakers. The language has many dialects but most of its speakers are able to understand one another.

Source > http://www.absolutehearts.com/2017/07/5-interesting-things-about-yoruba-people.html
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Nobody: 6:06pm On Feb 23, 2018
Igbos know it as oyibo not oyinbo

Wahala is an hausa word

Ponmo in yoruba, kpomo in igbo.

Baba is also used by hausa

Una call am olodo I call am iti.

Gbedu na pidgin not yoruba.

Gbedu is Yoruba... You may have learned it from pidgin, but its etymology points to Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by RavenEyes(m): 11:11pm On Oct 04, 2018
Omo oduaa ni mi tokan tokan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by isan(m): 9:11pm On Jun 14, 2021
mandarin:
Oga : Boss is the single most understood word across[b] many languages and spoken [/b] across many countries.

Nko: suffix , a question mark? is another widely used word
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by isan(m): 9:13pm On Jun 14, 2021
RavenEyes:
Omo oduaa ni mi tokan [b][/b]tokan
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by isan(m): 9:15pm On Jun 14, 2021
RavenEyes:
Omo oduaa ni mi tokan tokan
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by YungMillionaire: 1:44am On Jun 15, 2021
Tex42:
U're on point @OP...and oh! Add this word "LOBATAN" to the list, seems to be the most used cliche/slang in ma area here in Awka. Someone tell me the meaning pls...

I love that word 'lobatan.' I don't know why it makes me laugh even before I decoded the meaning. grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by fregeneh(m): 1:52pm On Jun 16, 2021
sinkhole:
we may actually learn here!
There are things in Yoruba that have multiple words to describe them, yes "Orin" = song, but it could also be "gbedu"

Gbedu is a type of drum in yoruba
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by fregeneh(m): 7:57pm On Jun 16, 2021
bigfrancis21:

Some of these words listed are not Yoruba. For example, wahala is not yoruba. Baba is not Yoruba as well. Baba originates from India where it is used to refer to 'sir', just as we use it in Nigeria. It has hinduist/Islamic influence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_(honorific). Alibaba.com is a popular website owned by a Chinese man.

'Keke' also is not Yoruba. The tricycle originates from India where it is called Bajaj or Keke and imported into Nigeria. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Gasoline-KEKE_60272954462.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.UPyV43&s=p

Moreover, most of these words are more popular in the Pidgin spoken in Lagos. The Pidgin spoken in the SE and SS, for example PH, Warri etc. has much less of these words and more words from the native languages in the area. For example, in Lagos while people would commonly say Okada in Pidgin, in the SE, people would say 'Inaga' instead. 'Inaga' in Igbo means, 'are you going?', which is literally used to refer to commercial motorbikes.

You say wetin? Keke is India!
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by theTranslator: 9:36am On Jun 17, 2021
fregeneh:

You say wetin? Keke is India!
E shock me too o grin
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by fregeneh(m): 10:43am On Jun 17, 2021
theTranslator:

E shock me too o grin

It was named keke marwa which means marwa's bicycle, because they don't consider it a vehicle nor motorcycle

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by fregeneh(m): 1:12pm On Jun 17, 2021
YungMillionaire:

I love that word 'lobatan.' I don't know why it makes me laugh even before I decoded the meaning. grin grin grin

Lobatan means 'THAT'S IT'
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by fregeneh(m): 1:14pm On Jun 17, 2021
Tex42:
U're on point @OP...and oh! Add this word "LOBATAN" to the list, seems to be the most used cliche/slang in ma area here in Awka.

Someone tell me the meaning pls...

It means THAT'S IT
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by fregeneh(m): 1:29pm On Jun 17, 2021
Nice

But please don't claim pidgin words as yoruba.

SONG IN YORUBA IS ORIN

GBEDU is pidgin

Thanks

Ajebo gotten from Ajebutter is also pidgin

Then again, wahala is hausa which further derived from wahl an
arabic word which means trouble.

Mr, gbedu is a type of musical drum in yoruba
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by fregeneh(m): 1:33pm On Jun 17, 2021
ahahnow:
what is akata?

Akata=were wolf
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by IDENNAA(m): 5:30pm On Jun 17, 2021
Oyibo is a proper Igbo name. I have grand mothers born in 18th century named Oyibo. You will never see a Yoruba called Oyibo.

Baba is not a Yoruba original word, it was definitely borrowed.

Wahala was borrowd.

Agbada was borrowed from Senegambia.

Bini borrowed days of week from Igbo.

Igbo groups borrowed Bini sword.

Igbo borrowed Konkosa and Yabass from Hausa.

Its not a bad thing because we all borrow , otherwise we go extinct.

Igala borrowed days of the week from Igbo.

some popular Igbo word gone global...Nna , Nne , Omalicha ,Igwe ,Oyibo , Biko , Ada etc.
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by kayfra: 11:38am On Jun 19, 2021
IDENNAA:
Oyibo is a proper Igbo name. I have grand mothers born in 18th century named Oyibo. You will never see a Yoruba called Oyibo.

Baba is not a Yoruba original word, it was definitely borrowed.

Wahala was borrowd.

Agbada was borrowed from Senegambia.

Bini borrowed days of week from Igbo.

Igbo groups borrowed Bini sword.

Igbo borrowed Konkosa and Yabass from Hausa.

Its not a bad thing because we all borrow , otherwise we go extinct.

Igala borrowed days of the week from Igbo.

some popular Igbo word gone global...Nna , Nne , Omalicha ,Igwe ,Oyibo , Biko , Ada etc.

Oyinbo is a Yoruba word

A few Igbo words are now popular. Biko, una, Nna men, omalicha.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by kayfra: 4:32pm On Jun 19, 2021
Even food

Ata Rodo
Shombo
Tatashe
Ponmo
Shaki
Eba
Abodi
Bokoto
Orishirishi

Others

Se. Like Se you know?
Omo
Ngbo
Kuku
Oya
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by kayfra: 11:41am On Jun 26, 2021
Orobo
Orishirishi
Dodo
Patapata

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

“I Don’t Give My Instagram To Black People" - White Model To Black Photographer / Emir Sanusi Buys Rolls Royce Phantom (Photos) / Monarch, Emmanuel Onyeike-Efeizomor, Sleeps With Snake For 5 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.