Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,120 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess (16018 Views)

3-year-old Girl Becomes Nepal’s New Living Goddess / Goddess Of The River Accepted My Ebos [sacrifices] Today (photos) / Facts About Orisa Aje: The Goddess Of Wealth & Prosperity - (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Babalawos(m): 4:43am On Jul 26, 2016
Osun Deity (The Source)

Most people, when they think of Osun, think of her as a river Goddess, or a fertility Goddess, the “Afrikan Venus. However, she is much, much, more than that.

Osun is central to Yoruba thought and praxis. Her power is multidimensional. Osun’s name means “source.” from the word “orisun.” The source of a river, a people, of children, of wealth, of life.

Osun represents the perpetually renewing source of life. As the elemental power of water, she makes life possible. Osun is the child-giving and curative power of water.

She is Odo Aro, the “blue river,” the birth canal where our ori is developed. What some people forget, is that Osun is also the owner of Eerindinlogun – sixteen cowrie divination.

She is also the source and condition of political power, as leader of the Aje (the Mothers, Iyami). As such, she is a founder of the Ogboni Society, the council of elders that bestow kingship.

Like Esu, she can change at will. She can be the loquacious and beautiful young flirt who succeeds by killing you with kindness, or the deadly serious old woman, owner of the “spiritual eye” (mystical power); she can be rich or poor, loving or vengeful.

She is the Benevolent Mother and the Fierce Warrior. She heals with her cool waters and destroys indiscriminately with her raging floods. She is the creator of children, fertility squared, yet she is the leader of vengeful spirits (Aje) who will take any child away at the drop of a hat.

She is the fierce defender of her children (priests and priestesses). She cries when she is happy, and laughs when she is sad. To accentuate her dual natures, Osun carries a brass cooling fan in one hand and a brass cutlass in the other. Strength and compassion; brass and honey.

In Yorubaland, Orisa serve as the glue that holds communities together. Each town or city has a founding narrative that includes the founding Orisa and intertwines facts, myths and metaphor.

Ijesa, Osun State, Nigeria

These mythistories create “community-ship,” which is at least as strong as the larger sense of citizenship. Ijesa country in Osun State, Nigeria, is the center of Osun worship.

It is the place of the largest annual Osun festival. People come from all over the world to attend the festival and be blessed and/or healed by the sacred waters of the Osun river at the city of Osogbo.

Osun History

In the Osogbo mythhistory, it is said that a prince (Olarooye) from Ilesa, went out to found a new city due to a water shortage in Ilesa. He set out with his buddy, a hunter named Timehin (an incarnation of Ogun), and they led the expeditionary group in search of a water source.

They came upon the Osun river. To make a long story short, they settled there with the blessing and protection (she and Timehin ran off the invading Tapa – warriors from the north) of Osun.

Thank you for reading, drop your comments

1 Like

Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Babalawos(m): 4:46am On Jul 26, 2016

1 Like

Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Babalawos(m): 4:48am On Jul 26, 2016
OSUN INVOCATION

Iba Osun sekese

Praise to the Goddess of Mystery

Latojoku awede we ‘mo

Spirit that cleans me inside out

Iba Osun Olodi

Praise to the Goddess of the river

Latojoku awede we ‘mo

Iba Osun ibu kole

Praise to the Goddess of Seduction

Latojoku awede we ‘mo

Yeye kari

Mother of the Mirror

Latojoku awede we ‘mo

Yeye ‘jo

Mother of Dance

Latojoku awede we ‘mo

Yeye opo

Mother of Abundance

O san rere o

We sing your praises

Ase

The child of Ife where the sun rises

The mother who gives a bounteous gift

The tender hearted one

The source of water

The child of Ijesa

The water to whom the King prostates to receive a gift

Yeye O, Osun, Osun O, aare me Osun waa se kumara!

(chant to be sung to Osun, inviting her to come)

2 Likes

Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by braine(m): 7:04am On Jul 26, 2016
This is good. We should embrace our cultures.

4 Likes

Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Babalawos(m): 10:27am On Jul 26, 2016
braine:
This is good. We should embrace our cultures.

Thank you
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Gewezzy1(f): 8:28pm On Apr 06, 2017
Would like to be an Osun follower, how would I know if it's the right thing, I really love to be a silent follower of Yeye

1 Like

Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Babalawos(m): 9:32pm On Apr 06, 2017
Gewezzy1:
Would like to be an Osun follower, how would I know if it's the right thing, I really love to be a silent follower of Yeye

Aboru Aboye

IFA must be consulted to reveal your Orisa because it will be unwise to serve an Orisa that is not connected to know you.

You can contact any renowed Babalawo to consult IFA for you or you can contact me for my private IFA Divination which will cost you money or you can post your face photograph on my Free Face Divination thread on Nairaland and get your free face divination report.

Thank you for reading, leave a comment

Babalawos

1 Like

Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Gewezzy1(f): 9:04am On Apr 07, 2017
Babalawos:

Aboru Aboye

IFA must be consulted to reveal your Orisa because it will be unwise to serve an Orisa that is not connected to know you.

You can contact any renowed Babalawo to consult IFA for you or you can contact me for my private IFA Divination which will cost you money or you can post your face photograph on my Free Face Divination thread on Nairaland and get your free face divination report.

Thank you for reading, leave a comment

Babalawos

How much is it for private divination, please send your mail, but i really do wish it would be Osun though.
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Babalawos(m): 9:51am On Apr 07, 2017
Gewezzy1:

How much is it for private divination, please send your mail, but i really do wish it would be Osun though.

Aboru Aboye

What if your Orisa is Oya, Yemoja or Olokun, what will you do?

The Orisa chooses you and not you that chooses the Orisa.

You can get my e-mail from my Facebook page => www.facebook.com/Ifapriests

Babalawos
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Gewezzy1(f): 11:31am On Apr 07, 2017
Babalawos:

Aboru Aboye
Babalawos
I just sent you a message on your page
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Gewezzy1(f): 11:47am On Apr 07, 2017
Babalawos:

Aboru Aboye
Babalawos

Please check your email
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Babalawos(m): 4:28pm On Apr 07, 2017
Gewezzy1:

Please check your email

Aboru Aboye

I have replied your e-mail

Babalawos
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by syrup40: 6:37pm On Apr 07, 2017
@Babalawos, i sent you a mail
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Babalawos(m): 6:45pm On Apr 07, 2017
syrup40:
@Babalawos, i sent you a mail

Aboru Aboye

I have replied you. Go check your email.

Babalawos
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by syrup40: 6:52pm On Apr 07, 2017
Babalawos:

Aboru Aboye

I have replied you. Go check your email.

Babalawos

Replied.
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by frankydnero: 3:07am On Apr 08, 2017
Gewezzy1:
Aboru Aboye
Christ came to die for people like you and you still want to embrass a scupture, a lifeless stone, a meaningless nd powerless deity. Please repent for Christ is still looking for the lost sheep of isreal

1 Like

Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by HorpeSola: 1:15pm On Mar 14, 2018
Aboru Boye
Pls I Want To Be Oshun Follower,what Are The Necessary Steps That I Must Take Pls Sir
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by Babalawos(m): 12:48pm On Mar 15, 2018
HorpeSola:
Aboru Boye
Pls I Want To Be Oshun Follower,what Are The Necessary Steps That I Must Take Pls Sir

You should be initiated and have Oshun
Re: Osun Orisha ~ Learn How To Worship The Goddess by sonmvayina(m): 10:58pm On Mar 28, 2023
frankydnero:
Aboru Aboye
Christ came to die for people like you and you still want to embrass a scupture, a lifeless stone, a meaningless nd powerless deity. Please repent for Christ is still looking for the lost sheep of isreal

He is not from Israel

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pastor E.A Adeboye's 2020 Prophecy (video) / Where Are All The Real Pastors? / Are Jehovah Witnesses Right About Their Belief Against Blood Transfusion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.