Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! (1191 Views)

Aftermath Of Donald Trump's Win / Two women narrate their first experience with racism following Trump's win / California Wants To Leave US After Trump's Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 27, 2016
I’m sitting here watching Bill hail his wife as the best damn change-maker he has ever known. I see all the fanfare at the Democratic convention and the news reports about Michelle Obama’s stirring speech, so stirring some people cried. Yet, I can’t help but think this might just all be a waste of time and the future president of America, with his bad hair, huge mouth and hate talk, had his time on TV already. Yes, you know who I’m talking about. Donald Trump.

You don’t need to look too far to see by how much the progressive left has caused disillusionment among the people. It’s good to be progressive. However, it’s also good to face reality and tell the truth from time to time. When Angela Merkel promised, or appeared to promise, no cap on the amount of immigrants who could make Germany their new home, the press hailed her, the leftist press basically. Economist, The New York Times and Obama thought she was the nicest person after Martin Luther King. While there was genuine reason to suspect that Germany could be importing ISIS sympathizers just as Nigeria imports toothpicks, no one of the left felt it worthy enough to mention or in the least act on. She has finally put a cap on it and is seeking to push the rest to Turkey, yet her ratings have dropped significantly, with a further downward trend expected following the spate of ISIS-inspired violence in Bavaria. Still, these career politicians don’t seem to be listening.

A democracy, in as much as it is defined as the will of the people, needs to respect the people’s wishes, else it will cause the people to rebel. While polls continue to show that the majority want western politicians to address the scourge of immigration, politicians instead show disdain and proceed on escapades to massage their moral egos. These are hard times. In this twilight of Obama’s presidency, a lot of things have changed and political fall-outs are showing that anything can indeed happen.

Brexit happened. Bernie happened. Marine Le Pen’s ratings have climbed. Austria’s far-right, anti-immigration, Eurosceptic Freedom party narrowly lost in the presidential elections and have now had the results annulled. And then, there is Donald Trump.

Would it surprise me if the Donald won? Absolutely no! The US presidential elections will see a lot of protest votes, especially from Bernie's supporters who have had enough of establishment politics. Even though many Americans do not share Trump’s worldview, they appreciate that he is discussing the topics that matter: immigration, ISIS, radical islam. Obama wouldn’t even mention the last one. Isn’t this enough reason to worry?

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4hJ27mwDc[/flash]
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Ciscogod(m): 8:12am On Jul 27, 2016
One one can rule him out... he may emerge as the Winner.

The homless are in support of him. Mehn those guys are much.

Some people are pained that obama (black man) is ruling . Those fucking white guys will vote Him.

Let's wait and see how it goes sha.

And some people see Donald as the real deal while Clinton as the camouflage.
They see trump as the brand while Clinton as commodity. Because of what happened in Afghanistan during her tenure.

2 Likes

Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Nobody: 8:16am On Jul 27, 2016
Ciscogod:

The homless are in support of him. Mehn those guys are much.

And some people see Donald as the real deal while Clinton as the camouflage.
They see trump as the brand while Clinton as commodity. Because of what happened in Afghanistan during her tenure.

Exactly. And the minorities who don't support Trump are actually....in the minority.
I guess you meant Libya, not Afghanistan.

1 Like

Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by mrvitalis(m): 8:19am On Jul 27, 2016
The simple reason why trump won't win is simple... Americans votes don't count and the collage who's votes matters (about 400 of them) dont like trump both from his party and the opposition so how can he win....
We may win the population vote, but will lose the collage vote
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by cckris: 8:22am On Jul 27, 2016
Trump is the next POTUS. Americans cherish Freedom & Liberty, which radical Islam is threatening everywhere. And Trump can stop them.

1 Like

Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by yinkson(m): 8:31am On Jul 27, 2016
It's a Yes... When it comes to American politics, it's had to predict
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by mazichika: 8:34am On Jul 27, 2016
Every damn thing seems to be working in favour of Trump.

2 Likes

Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 27, 2016
mrvitalis:
The simple reason why trump won't win is simple... Americans votes don't count and the collage who's votes matters (about 400 of them) dont like trump both from his party and the opposition so how can he win....
We may win the population vote, but will lose the collage vote

There are 538 of them. But you are missing the point. Electors in the electoral college don't just decide on a whim who to vote for. Some are compelled to vote for their parties; others are compelled to vote for the candidate with the highest majority from their state or constituency. As the Republican party finally rallied around the Donald during the RNC, there is greater likelihood he is gradually being accepted. And remember, if he wins the popular vote by a large margin and doesn't get the presidency because of the Electoral college, all hell will break loose on the streets. You only need revisit the Al Gore - George Bush debacle, if you want a taste of how this might go down.

1 Like

Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by mazichika: 8:46am On Jul 27, 2016
lookingbuoy:

There are 538 of them. But you are missing the point. Electors in the electoral college don't just decide on a whim who to vote for. Some are compelled to vote for their parties; others are compelled to vote for the candidate with the highest majority from their state or constituency. As the Republican party finally rallied around the Donald during the RNC, there is greater likelihood he is gradually being accepted. And remember, if he wins the popular vote by a large margin and doesn't get the presidency because of the Electoral college, all hell will break loose on the streets. You only need revisit the Al Gore - George Bush debacle, if you want a taste of how this might go down.
what damn shiit is this 538 electoral collage all about?

So after the citizens might have elected their preferred leader these guys will still go ahead and vote?
Pls enlighten me on this.
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 27, 2016
Just as I was writing this, FiveThirtyEight came out with this prediction a few hours ago:

FiveThirtyEight has successfully predicted every US presidential elections since 2008, and that almost accurately!
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by bigiyaro(m): 8:50am On Jul 27, 2016
I pray trump wins.

2 Likes

Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by mrvitalis(m): 8:52am On Jul 27, 2016
lookingbuoy:

With the bush and Clinton family against him... I don't see him winning collage vote
And there is no how he would win popular vote by a very large margin... That's if he wins at all
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 27, 2016
mazichika:
what damn shiit is this 538 electoral collage all about?

So after the citizens might have elected their preferred leader these guys will still go ahead and vote?
Pls enlighten me on this.

The 538 electors are there to make sure victory won't be only about numbers. From the start, the US lawmakers felt it wasn't wise to leave the decision on who becomes president to who gets the highest numbers at the polls. This may not sound truly democratic today, but at that time no one really trusted a completely democratic experiment where the numbers win. Even the UK kept its Queen for more or less the same reasons.

The 538 electors are elected by the people and in turn, these electors will also vote on who should be president. In order to win the US presidency, a candidate must get the majority of the electoral votes. Some electors are mandated to vote for the candidate with the highest popular vote in the constituency, so that it really doesn't matter anyways. Some also vote for their party candidates, who might very well have won the majority already in the elector's state. So, when people vote in their states, they are actually voting electors.

Take for instance, let's say in a typical Republican state like Texas, the people go to vote. A lot of republicans vote for Trump, as might be expected, and let's say Trump gets 380,000 votes (example!) against Clinton's 100,000. Those republican votes will elect 38 electors from Texas who can then go on to vote for the president. Now, Trump will still have 380,000 popular votes counted for him. The 38 electors, who are all republicans, might then be bound by party laws or could in principle just go ahead and vote for Trump. Remember, if they were not Republicans, they wouldn't even be electors in the first place. Many states have laws designed to ensure that electors vote for pledged candidates, though electors can still decide not to obey these laws. That rarely happens. That could be like Theresa May suddenly going back on Brexit. Get?

This is also close to how their primaries work. That's why there was all the talk about conventions, presumptive nominee and then confirmed nominee.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 27, 2016
mrvitalis:

With the bush and Clinton family against him... I don't see him winning collage vote
And there is no how he would win popular vote by a very large margin... That's if he wins at all

Most of you guys who mention electoral votes don't even know what it is.
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by bamirotola: 9:14am On Jul 27, 2016
That will be catastrophic if dt man mistakenly enters... all foreigners will live hell on earth... and if they chase em outa Usa, USA economy will be total sham....
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by cckris: 9:21am On Jul 27, 2016
mrvitalis:

So wishes Islamic Jihadists.
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Nobody: 9:23am On Jul 27, 2016
bamirotola:
That will be catastrophic if dt man mistakenly enters... all foreigners will live hell on earth... and if they chase em outa Usa, USA economy will be total sham....
Quite the contrary. While I don't support Trump, I think it's important we don't exagerrate what may happen if eventually he wins. There's only very limited hell Trump can let loose with the Congress being ever watchful.
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by davide470(m): 10:13am On Jul 27, 2016
lookingbuoy:

The 538 electors are there to make sure victory won't be only about numbers. From the start, the US lawmakers felt it wasn't wise to leave the decision on who becomes president to who gets the highest numbers at the polls. This may not sound truly democratic today, but at that time no one really trusted a completely democratic experiment where the numbers win. Even the UK kept its Queen for more or less the same reasons.

The 538 electors are elected by the people and in turn, these electors will also vote on who should be president. In order to win the US presidency, a candidate must get the majority of the electoral votes. Some electors are mandated to vote for the candidate with the highest popular vote in the constituency, so that it really doesn't matter anyways. Some also vote for their party candidates, who might very well have won the majority already in the elector's state. So, when people vote in their states, they are actually voting electors.

Take for instance, let's say in a typical Republican state like Texas, the people go to vote. A lot of republicans vote for Trump, as might be expected, and let's say Trump gets 380,000 votes (example!) against Clinton's 100,000. Those republican votes will elect 38 electors from Texas who can then go on to vote for the president. Now, Trump will still have 380,000 popular votes counted for him. The 38 electors, who are all republicans, might then be bound by party laws or could in principle just go ahead and vote for Trump. Remember, if they were not Republicans, they wouldn't even be electors in the first place. Many states have laws designed to ensure that electors vote for pledged candidates, though electors can still decide not to obey these laws. That rarely happens. That could be like Theresa May suddenly going back on Brexit. Get?

This is also close to how their primaries work. That's why there was all the talk about conventions, presumptive nominee and then confirmed nominee.
Nice one, mate

2 Likes

Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by davide470(m): 10:19am On Jul 27, 2016
lookingbuoy:

Would it surprise me if the Donald won? Absolutely no!

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4hJ27mwDc[/flash]
Words like below cannot come from a Future POTUS:

“I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

“All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me – consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected.”

2 Likes

Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Ciscogod(m): 10:24am On Jul 27, 2016
lookingbuoy:

Exactly. And the minorities who don't support Trump are actually....in the minority.
I guess you meant Libya, not Afghanistan.

Who trained Osama? Who funded AL qaeda. Listen to her tap on YouTube. She made the confession herself.

They founded the group to disrupt the Soviet union.
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Donjazzy12(m): 4:19pm On Jul 27, 2016
davide470:
Words like below cannot come from a Future POTUS:

“I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

“All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me – consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected.”
You are so predictable and that is why trump will win. Many Americans will vote him.
Re: Can Donald Trump Win? Probably Yes! by Nobody: 11:14pm On Mar 12, 2017
Well. I said it months ago! tongue

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Queen Elizabeth Is Dead / Robert Mugabe Arrested In Military Coup Resign(photos & Video) / Beautiful Pictures Of Jerusalem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.