Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,996 members, 7,838,510 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics (14571 Views)

Efe Ajagba Knocks Nigel Paul Out In Round One in 23 Seconds At RIO Olympics / katsuyatakasu, A Japanese To Reward Nigerian Players At Rio Olympics (picture) / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by toshmann(m): 3:02pm On Jul 27, 2016
allanphash7:
Nigeria cant win it be that

Were you expecting to win?
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by lereinter(m): 3:09pm On Jul 27, 2016
Nigeria funny sha

They forget easily

Even Mikel funny more

This is the same Mikel that siasia was begging him to be part of the Olympics soccer team years back 2008

And he did not make himself available

Now he is proud to be not only the soccer team captain but the whole contingent

Ok maybe he is the one sponsoring the cash strapped athletes

2 Likes

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by easyelliot(m): 3:18pm On Jul 27, 2016
..............and the air has been let out of the balloon
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by chrisooblog: 3:19pm On Jul 27, 2016
complain complain complain moan moan moan yet nigerians like you who did not contribute one kobo to these athletes want them to perform magic. mikel is useless yet you quickly forgot he was part of our AFCON 2013 team that won the trophy. if you must criticize atleast have the decency to encourage our athletes who are working under difficult conditions

livinbygrace:
Nothing good can come out from the useless team Nigeria...Since dat boy call Mikel join Super Eagle,Nigerian performance has been reduced to nothing or zero...I miss the days of Okocha,Yekini,Amokachi,Amunike..Not this over hyped player.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by tunderay(m): 3:20pm On Jul 27, 2016
dedons:
chai!

He pain am.
LMAO. What willl pain me reading a comment that is everything but common sense? I am just trying to set your brain to default.
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by timay(m): 3:34pm On Jul 27, 2016
martineverest:
y is everybody clueless in nigeria?what happened to okagbare,segun toriola and oyedeji olumide?
oyedeji olumide has pulled out of the olympic basketball team himself i think
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 27, 2016
nigerianvenom:

And who were those people, what did they achieved?

What did they achieve? Do you know that throughout their reign, Nigeria always reached last four in the Nation's Cup? Do you know that 2008 was the first time Nigeria crashed out in the quater finals of the Nation's Cup? Today, not qualifying for the nation's cup is not even a surprise to us!
Do you even know Nigeria's ranking in those days? Do you remember when Nigeria was ranked 1st in Nigeria and 9th in the world? You know where Nigeria is now!
Have you forgotten when a song like "When I see Okocha, I remember Taribo" was well known by everyone? How many super eagles players can people mention off hand today?
If Mikel was a player in those days, he wouldn't even make the squad!

1 Like

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by emmasege: 4:15pm On Jul 27, 2016
sarzy:
Gone are the days when we had stars in the national team; days when a five-year-old boy could name all the first eleven players in the team. A player like Mikel wouldn't have made the squad then, let alone captain.
Pray that your lineage ever produce a star that's half Mikel and watch your family tree blossom like a cedar tree. When you see a star, celebrate him/her. The 3 wise men didn't let that opportunity pass them by and that's why we'll keep talking about them till His kingdom comes.

Mikel is a national hero and I celebrate him, our pride and glory.

1 Like

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by Rossikk(m): 4:18pm On Jul 27, 2016
nigerianvenom:

The last Olympic, what was nigeria achievements? Nigeria won nothing in 2012 London summer Olympic. Not even a tea spoon
Olympics.
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by emmasege: 4:20pm On Jul 27, 2016
livinbygrace:
Nothing good can come out from the useless team Nigeria...Since dat boy call Mikel join Super Eagle,Nigerian performance has been reduced to nothing or zero...I miss the days of Okocha,Yekini,Amokachi,Amunike..Not this over hyped player.
Overhyped but then he won laurels more than any of the players you mentioned, including playing a crucial role in our last AFCON trophy.

Helloooo, the end (outcome) still justifies the means (journey).

1 Like

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by Rossikk(m): 4:23pm On Jul 27, 2016
sarzy:

What did they achieve? Do you know that throughout their reign, Nigeria always reached last four in the Nation's Cup? Do you know that 2008 was the first time Nigeria crashed out in the quater finals of the Nation's Cup? Today, not qualifying for the nation's cup is not even a surprise to us!
Do you even know Nigeria's ranking in those days? Do you remember when Nigeria was ranked 1st in Nigeria and 9th in the world? You know where Nigeria is now!
Have you forgotten when a song like "When I see Okocha, I remember Taribo" was well known by everyone? How many super eagles players can people mention off hand today?
Funny thing is that even in those days, many folks still called them useless, as they always seemed to fall at the last hurdle. Like in that terrible game against Denmark in France 98. In fact I don't think Nigerians will fully get behind that team until they win the World Cup!

1 Like

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 27, 2016
emmasege:
Pray that your lineage ever produce a star that's half Mikel and watch your family tree blossom like a cedar tree. When you see a star, celebrate him/her. The 3 wise men didn't let that opportunity pass them by and that's why we'll keep talking about them till His kingdom comes.

Mikel is a national hero and I celebrate him, our pride and glory.

Dude, we are not talking about Mikel's personal life here, okay? This is a professional discourse so let us focus on his professional career because he represents a people!
If you must ask me to pray that my lineage should be like a footballer, why not suggest players like Messi or Ronaldo?
You should as well start praying for your lineage to be like your corrupt politicians, since they are also acheivers in terms of wealth. I know you're one asslicker who doesn't know the difference between critical analysis of a professional, and a rich man's private life.
Would you rather praise a doctor if he treats you wrongly all because you wanna become a doctor?
You should learn to be professional when necessary. This is a criticism that should come to play if Mikel was my very brother!

1 Like

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 27, 2016
Rossikk:
Funny thing is that even in those days, many folks still called them useless, as they always seemed to fall at the last hurdle. Like in that terrible game against Denmark in France 98. In fact I don't think Nigerians will fully get behind that team until they win the World Cup!

Yes, people called Messi names when he lost the penalty and failed to win the cup for his team, even after leading them to the finals four times. Those praising Ronaldo today will abuse him tomorrow if he starts playing rubbish. That is the price to pay for stardom. When you are a celebrity, expect such things.
But the fact still remains that, even when people blame you for your failure, they won't fail to acknowledge it that you are a talent, if indeed you have one. And such people will always want to give you a second chance.
The players of those days were blamed at times, but people still acknowledge that they are better than those of today. You need to visit places where these people are called upon to make comments and see the kind of cheering they receive. That is why Clement Westeroff( pardon for the spelling) is still considered Nigeria's best coach ever. Nigerians never forget!
The Mikel of today is nowhere near the players of those days. That's my point.

1 Like

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by ovisprince(m): 4:38pm On Jul 27, 2016
allanphash7:
Nigeria cant win it be that
English grammar
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by abaeatlaliga01: 4:47pm On Jul 27, 2016
wish dream VI team best of luck.... make una bring gold medal come home oooo

1 Like

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by IceDude(m): 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2016
chinex276:
In bubu's government everything is headed by mediocres... imagine mikel being captain of a whole olympic team, when he is nt even the 3rd captain in chelsea... cahill dat joined in 2012, ranks higher dan him 2 show dat he doesnt have the charisma of being a captain.
i tell u olympic dis year is a disaster waiting 2 happen.
quote me nd i send amadioha after u
Who amadioha epp? grin
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by emmasege: 4:50pm On Jul 27, 2016
sarzy:

Dude, we are not talking about Mikel's personal life here, okay? This is a professional discourse so let us focus on his professional career because he represents a people!
If you must ask me to pray that my lineage should be like a footballer, why not suggest players like Messi or Ronaldo?
You should as well start praying for your lineage to be like your corrupt politicians, since they are also acheivers in terms of wealth. I know you're one asslicker who doesn't know the difference between critical analysis of a professional, and a rich man's private life.
Would you rather praise a doctor if he treats you wrongly all because you wanna become a doctor?
You should learn to be professional when necessary. This is a criticism that should come to play if Mikel was my very brother!
I'm still wondering why some of you guys like to give yourself unnecessary migraine anytime the name "Mikel" crops up in the media. He's not good but then no national coach (local or foreign) has ever underrated him in the national squad. I remember an European sport journalist saying of Mikel when injury knocked him out of the 2010 world cup that "a Nigerian side without Mikel is not a delight to watch".

Mikel as at today is to Nigeria what christiano Ronaldo is to Portugal or Lionel Messi is to Argentina. You either take it or leave it, Mikel has made a success of his career.

I celebrate my compatriot!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 27, 2016
emmasege:
I'm still wondering why some of you guys like to give yourself unnecessary migraine anytime the name "Mikel" crops up in the media. He's not good but then no national coach (local or foreign) has ever underrated him in the national squad. I remember an European sport journalist saying of Mikel when injury knocked him out of the 2010 world cup that "a Nigerian side without Mikel is not a delight to watch".

Mikel as at today is to Nigeria what christiano Ronaldo is to Portugal or Lionel Messi is to Argentina. You either take it or leave it, Mikel has made a success of his career.

I celebrate my compatriot!

See, the discussion is not about whether Mikel is good or not. Don't quote me if you dont understand what we are discussing.
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by Crownylord(m): 5:11pm On Jul 27, 2016
Haaaaa!!! This guy no even sabi for computer games(rf,pes,..e.t.c) talkless of real life.... I no fit shout.
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by emmasege: 5:12pm On Jul 27, 2016
chrisooblog:
complain complain complain moan moan moan yet nigerians like you who did not contribute one kobo to these athletes want them to perform magic. mikel is useless yet you quickly forgot he was part of our AFCON 2013 team that won the trophy. if you must criticize atleast have the decency to encourage our athletes who are working under difficult conditions

You dey mind them? That's how they demoralize and make their national heroes lose sense of patriotism, and worse still, kill them. Are we talking of the same Mikel that put smile on the faces of many Nigerians in Netherlands 2005, South Africa 2013; played crucial roles in Egypt 2006, Ghana 2008; and has consistently kept our national flag flying in England?

2 Likes

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by abuaudu(m): 11:36pm On Jul 27, 2016
Go for Gold

2 Likes

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by EkeneElectrons(m): 1:00am On Jul 28, 2016
make i help them play right back na

1 Like

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by nwanky(m): 1:05am On Jul 28, 2016
NwaNimo1:
Nnewi babes right now....

Nneni*

2 Likes

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by Drbarmes(m): 1:36pm On Jul 28, 2016
yommy04:

The last time I checked, Mikel Obi was a prominent member of the team that won the last biggest trophy for Nigeria.
That means all the players that won with him should be in d Olympic team then. Winning trophy is a team achievement, cos even those who were on bench throughout the tourney were winners too.
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by nigerianvenom(m): 11:19pm On Jul 29, 2016
sarzy:

Ur point are baseless.
Mikel played in the under 17 world Cup 2003 and only got eliminated at group stage due to toss of coin which favored d other team(I guess Costa Rica) can't recalled. In 2005,he was second best to messi in the fifa under 20 world Cup final which nigeria lost to the Argentines.
The only Nigerian player that caused a major fight amongst 3 big European clubs i.e Lyn Oslo, man utd and Chelsea.the only Nigerian player that has stayed in a major European club for 10years winning multiple trophies. Those u assumed were better than Mikel, which club did they played for and what did they won In their professional careers?
Nigeria only won the 94 nations cup because they maintain a particular crop of players from 1989 till 94.
What do u think would have happened if nigeria had maintained the same player she used in winning the cup of nations few years back?
Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by nigerianvenom(m): 11:19pm On Jul 29, 2016
stevebond007:

He won gold dude. Get your facts.

U just lied.

Re: Mikel To Captain Team Nigeria At Rio Olympics by stevebond007(m): 4:37pm On Aug 12, 2016
nigerianvenom:

U just lied.

Hello mon ami, u enjoying d olympics?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How are You Celebrating the super Eagle's victory over Burkina Faso ? / Super Eagles Vs Egypt (2 - 3) On Thursday April 12th 2012 / Super Falcons Forward, Francisca Ordega, Signs Contract With Levante In Spain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.