Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

The Illusion Of 100 Level Students(short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Illusion Of 100 Level Students(short Story) (766 Views)

The World Is An ILLUSION, A Story By Temidayo Samuel (etisalat Flash Fiction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Illusion Of 100 Level Students(short Story) by Sveen: 5:52pm On Jul 27, 2016
'Wow, I'm now an undergraduate after countless battles with Utme' I thought as my voice boomed and echoed with intense. I danced and bragged throughout my neighborhood with my shoulders almost reaching the sky, I was given admission to one of the greatest institutions in Nigeria, am finally off the streets, it is indeed a great feat. Most of my friends were happy for me, or perhaps the pretended to be, no fĂșck given.

My jubilations and self appraisal was soon cut-short as the school announced the date of resumption. That's the most powerless moment of my life, I didn't own more than 5k in my account, what was I gonna do. My ever loving momma, I pray that you'll forever be rewarded here on earth and afterlife, if your parents never abandon you when you needed them the most, please say amen to my prayers and blessing shall follow you and your family everywhere you go.

My mum footed all the bills singlehandedly without battling an eyelid, she even did it with immense joy, I was dumbfounded and stupefied at the same time, I didn't deserve it, I was very stubborn and strong-hearted, I don't listen to her, and act as I wished, however, it soon dawned on me that nothing can be compared to a mother's love in this milky way.

I stayed with my cousin when I got to Ilorin, it was my first time there and I didn't know anywhere. He and his roomie were very nice to me, the discussed with me almost the do's and don'ts of the school in which I complied until he got to a point where he categorically stated that under no circumstances should I flaunt my intelligence, "like seriously"? He said so many thing about lecturers and why I should always do what they want, I should never make use of 'big English' whenever it involves them, it is automatic failure. I got furious, as in I boiled with anger because I cannot make a complex sentence without embedding a vocabulary. How the Bleep will I standout amongst the hundreds of other student if I rewrite what I have in my note back to the lecturer, where the fĂșck will I have my extra mark? I yelled to no one in particular because my cousin was making jest of me, am not an average student and I don't deserve to be treated as one.

The first day of lecture was uneventful for me as I was hellbent on obeying my mothers words, it wasn't very hard, I just have to.

1. Stay away from cultism
2. Don't trust anybody
3. Stay away from girls(momma, it's not my fault, you shoulda given me a tribal mark, I can't let this handsomeness go to waste)
4. Make good friends that'll impact you positively or don't make friends at all(Reminds me of lil Wayne, call me Tunechi lil or don't call me at all)
5. Don't engage in premarital sex, and if you do, make sure you use condom. lol
6. Face your studies, that's your primary, secondary, and kindergarten aim. dats all

I obeyed that 'Order' during my first week and I would have obeyed it throughout the first semester if not for its majesty, Mr. Phonetics! Chai, this course na die. The lecturer no too dey cum class and I do not understand a thing, all I see is Chinese symbols.(Pardon my pidgin ooo, after all it's the second official language of Nigeria, yes I said it.) Along the line, I met people, different set of intelligent and average students whom am better than if not because of phonetics that's problemising my situation or perhaps I thought I was the best in the class because I've never failed an oral question by any lecturer. Soon I made it three friends, they were as good as me and understood phonetics better, I was carried along and I eventually got a foot of it. During those times, I was a first class student even without writing a single exam, I was so sure of myself that anyone that said otherwise will have a taste of Dr. Sveen's hypothesis, of course it's laced with insult.

Exam came and I murdered it. I didn't listen to my cousin though, My lecturer defined phonetics as 'The scientific study of speech sound and symbols, its dams too simple. I defined it as "The scientific study of human sound, concerned with the physical study of speech sounds and the processes of their physical production, auditory reception and their acoustic perception and their representations by written symbols.

Oya tell me, if others receive 10marks for their definitions, should I receive 20 or at least 15?

First semester ended and I saw for of my courses, I was expecting four A's but I got one, like seriously, but I murdered the exam, wetin con happen. No shit, I still has two result that haven't been released.

We're through with our second semester now and two of our first semester result are yet to be released. Anyway if I don't get a first class GP. I sure wouldn't miss a 2:1, at least am sha better than an idiot that said he'd be glad if he graduated with a third class.

The End

Cc. Mynd44
Re: The Illusion Of 100 Level Students(short Story) by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 27, 2016
am here
Re: The Illusion Of 100 Level Students(short Story) by Aadetola1(m): 8:44pm On Jul 27, 2016
u mean the story has finished? Anyhow sha,ade was here!

(1) (Reply)

Fettered Love / A Long Time Ago (a Short Story) / My Life As A Terrorist..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.