Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,356 members, 7,836,458 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 (1581 Views)

Poll: Who Wins This Match?

West Ham: 14% (1 vote)
Liverpool: 71% (5 votes)
Draw: 14% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Chelsea Vs Arsenal (2 - 0) On 19th September 2015 / Chelsea Vs West Ham (2 - 0) On 26th December 2014 / Manchester United Vs West Ham (2 - 1) On 27th September 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by bgees(m): 7:24pm On Sep 19, 2009
BlueDiva:

Fine, i respect your opinion.

But telling me to shut up and i don't know what i'm saying?
Highly disrespectful, I won't take that.

OK. i take my insultive words back. sorry.
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by Sauron1: 7:24pm On Sep 19, 2009
Krayola:

Yeah. . . was just goin to say that. they`re running on fumes right now. Used up too much energy fighting back 2ce  

They made 2 subs in the first 25 mins of the game.
Lack of fitness dey worry them.
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by Jairzinho(m): 7:38pm On Sep 19, 2009
bgees:

what is really zonal marking . Cole scores from a corner and u have started screaming zonal marking. do u really understand zonal marking? W hat if zonal marking really works best?
bgees,don't join these unnecessarily aggressve Goners & MANURE,I expressed my opinion on zonal marking & u were just all over the place. we conceeded goals against Aston Villa cos of this as well. Its very simple,Sauron has explained how teams defend set-pieces,i needn't say more.

Nice win guys,but enough of zonal markin experiment. . . remember how another experiment-'Rotation' cost us 2 seasons of serious EPL challenge?
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by bgees(m): 8:14pm On Sep 19, 2009
Jairzinho:

bgees,don't join these unnecessarily aggressve Goners & MANURE,I expressed my opinion on zonal marking & u were just all over the place. we conceeded goals against Aston Villa cos of this as well. Its very simple,Sauron has explained how teams defend set-pieces,i needn't say more.

Nice win guys,but enough of zonal markin experiment. . . remember how another experiment-'Rotation' cost us 2 seasons of serious EPL challenge?

Stop saying it as if it is a bad thing. Zonal marking has its advantages.

And I knew it was going to be tough. Insua surely wants to keep his place now that Aurelio is back, he had a good match. but we still have not gotten there. we need improvement.

That Hines guy was great , but thank God he got tired.
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by Jairzinho(m): 8:40pm On Sep 19, 2009
The issue is not if it has 'some advantages'.but do these perceived merits outweigh the demrits. . . .

My main concern remains with Central defence-I've never being a fan of Carragher & the new Kiriakos guys looks shaky too.

God help us kiss.

But we moved into Top 4 for the first time since Week 1 & dats good news. . .
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by biina: 9:09pm On Sep 19, 2009
Zonal marking has the theoretical potential of being very effective, but its practical implementation usually leaves a lot to be desired e.g.
- the opposition can create a mismatch by putting their best threat in the zone of your weakest defender
- reaction to second balls across the box and change of angles by a CK taken short often present problems as the importance of different zones depends on the angle of delivery and your player will likely have little time to reorganize.
- Players are by nature man markers and tend to react to players, and when asked to follow the ball, could follow it out of their zone.
- since the zones are not delineated physically, it some times leads to confusion with two people going for the same ball or no one going for it

This does not mean that man marking doesn't have its own problems e.g the ease of opposition to lose their markers as everyone is jostling, and the risk of a penalty for the confusion.

For me the best approach is an hybrid, in which you use your key aerial defenders (usually CBs) to man mark the key 1-3 opposing threats (e.g. main striker and CBs) and apply zonal marking to the rest.
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by tocdee(m): 9:17pm On Sep 19, 2009
Where's Agger? Carragher has been a shadow of himself recently. We scored a set-piece goal against a team utilizing man-marking BUT I don't see anyone here pointing that out. Liverpool had the highest number of clean sheets for 3 consecutive seasons using the same system!!! The system's not the problem; the individuals are.

CAN Gerrard please STOP taking the corner-kicks?

Thank God for Torres!!!
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by maedan(f): 9:43pm On Sep 19, 2009
grin grin shocked shocked cool cool

Speechless!

ill2, she ko si??
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by illusion2: 11:18pm On Sep 19, 2009
will wait patiently t'nite wink
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by tocdee(m): 11:29pm On Sep 19, 2009
biina:

being a fan should not equal being delusional.
Selling Alonso and buying Aquilani has made liverpool a weaker team. It is obvious that Lucas is not as good as Alonso, and Aquilani is yet to play his first game.

Take a step back and read those comments again; silly statements aren't they. Alonso wanted to leave and you haven't even seen Aquilani play for Liverpool. Saying that Lucas is not as good as Alonso is like saying that Nani is not as good as Ronaldo. Also Alonso was not that good at 22 yrs (couldn't make it to the Spanish Team) so give Lucas a chance (at least he's better than Mikel Obi) tongue tongue tongue

illusion2:

will wait patiently t'nite wink
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by bgees(m): 9:52am On Sep 20, 2009
Tocdee, exactly my thoughts on Zonal marking. Our problems from set pieces only started last season.
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by KennyG6(m): 10:47am On Sep 21, 2009
hi all
gr8 result on sat only downside is the scum winning thx to ref again!
Personally i dont think the problem is zonal marking or man-man, afterall we scored from a set-piece agaisnt w/ham who opted to go man for man, the problem is whatever system u deploy if the players dont do their jobs u will leak goals; and over time we have seen that when properly deployed liverpool have conceded less goals so lets hope we get it right soon.
I think supporters ought to cut Lucas some slack, he is a young man but one i really like especially for his mentality. The guy GETS slated by his fans and at his age one would have forgiven him for hidding, instead the lad stepped up didnt allow the criticism to affect him and is always asking/demanding for the ball, that to me is a mark of a great player,

While we miss Alonso's mastery on the ball, i think overall we will do better without him because he hardly scored goals, and b4 i get slated for blasphemy; just imagine what would have happended if we got barry last year, for the stats, barry has scored at least 9 goals every season in the last 3 years, alonso's record is 3-3-2 i.e. less that what barry scores in a season,
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by bgees(m): 2:33pm On Sep 21, 2009
Kenny_G:

hi all
gr8 result on sat only downside is the scum winning thx to ref again!
Personally i dont think the problem is zonal marking or man-man, afterall we scored from a set-piece agaisnt w/ham who opted to go man for man, the problem is whatever system u deploy if the players dont do their jobs u will leak goals; and over time we have seen that when properly deployed liverpool have conceded less goals so lets hope we get it right soon.
I think supporters ought to cut Lucas some slack, he is a young man but one i really like especially for his mentality. The guy GETS slated by his fans and at his age one would have forgiven him for hidding, instead the lad stepped up didnt allow the criticism to affect him and is always asking/demanding for the ball, that to me is a mark of a great player,

While we miss Alonso's mastery on the ball, i think overall we will do better without him because he hardly scored goals, and b4 i get slated for blasphemy; just imagine what would have happended if we got barry last year, for the stats, barry has scored at least 9 goals every season in the last 3 years, alonso's record is 3-3-2 i.e. less that what barry scores in a season,

well said , but I dont agree with the Alonso part. also I saw nothing wrong in going for Barry at that time. Alonso was injury prone and his best season for liverpool was his last.
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by KennyG6(m): 3:49pm On Sep 21, 2009
bgees
surely u agree wiv my view that rafa felt he needed goals from midfield and also increase his british quota hence he went 4 barry,
Re: West Ham (2) Vs Liverpool (3) On Saturday 19th September 2009 by illusion2: 6:24pm On Sep 21, 2009
lets wait & see what Aquilani's up to

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sunderland Vs Manchester Utd [0 - 1] On Sunday, 2nd May / Funny Quotes By Footballers And Managers Alike!!! / A Picture Of Carlos Tevez's Payslip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.