Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,425 members, 7,812,249 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans (11559 Views)

CBN Orders Banks To Spy On 19 Persons (Full List) / CBN Directs Banks To Pay Cash To Forex Users / CBN Directs Bdcs Not To Sell FX Above 2% Margin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans by mapet: 5:39pm On Jul 28, 2016
So I read the report, then jumped down to the first few comments, and guess what? NL yoots are at it again. They will not read, They read they will not comprehend. Simple details they will not understand

In simplistic terms this is not a directive to give foreign loans, fools! Banks have been granting foreign loans since time immemorial
This is a directive to make full provision of the foreign loans and the consequences in the financial reports. This is a measure to prevent smart accountants from doctoring their financials

1 Like

Re: CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans by mapet: 5:40pm On Jul 28, 2016
xukwaa:
The essence of the additional loan provisioning is to nil off the fictitious exchange gain arising from the increase in the Naira value of bad debts denominated in foreign currencies.

For example,

Bank A has $1,000 worth of bad loans. These bad loans were recognised in the books of Bank A as N198,000 (converted at the rate of N198 to $1)

Bank A provided for 100% of the bad loans. This reduced Bank A's profit before tax by N198,000

In July 2016, the exchange rate of the Naira to the Dollar depreciated to N320. As a result of this, Bank A recognised a fictitious exchange gain of N122,000 (N320,000 - N198,000) thereby increasing the profit before tax by N122,000.

However, the CBN directs Bank A to make an additional provision of N122,000. This will reduce the fictitious exchange gain initially recognised to nil (zero).

You can download the CBN circular from here: https://www.cbn.gov.ng/Out/2016/BSD/PROVISIONING%20FOR%20FOREIGN%20CURRENCY%20LOANS.pdf

Thanks Bros, I was trying to spin my head around this in simple terms. You've made it so comprehendable.........I will imagine sha!
Re: CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans by mapet: 5:43pm On Jul 28, 2016
Gentle2015:
This will further worsen the naira.

The simple solution is to get more inflows ($). All this trials will only ridicule the naira the more. It is a pity

Bros,

This is simply reporting adjustment and not a fiscal policy
Re: CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans by alizma: 5:43pm On Jul 28, 2016
fizzile:
Naira is falling like a pack of cards and these people are busy with their trial and error policies.
Nonsence
can u give us your own ideal approach?
Re: CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans by HOTARIO(m): 6:34pm On Jul 28, 2016
It is indeed quite a pity that some forum members are either lazy to read or research. Focus is only on casting aspersions, playing the blame game or just being plain stupid. How on earth does provisioning for loans become giving loans? Read people! Life is not only about PDP/APC hit or miss, PMB/GEJ, etc. When there is a funny post people get active, but when something a bit technical or intellectual is posted, you see comments like "it is too long, please summarize" or " please who understands this".

Kudos to the good guys who took the pains to explain what the provisioning is all about.
Re: CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans by yomi007k(m): 7:52pm On Jul 28, 2016
HOTARIO:
It is indeed quite a pity that some forum members are either lazy to read or research. Focus is only on casting aspersions, playing the blame game or just being plain stupid. How on earth does provisioning for loans become giving loans? Read people! Life is not only about PDP/APC hit or miss, PMB/GEJ, etc. When there is a funny post people get active, but when something a bit technical or intellectual is posted, you see comments like "it is too long, please summarize" or " please who understands this".

Kudos to the good guys who took the pains to explain what the provisioning is all about.

Oga. not everyone is in d commercial field. I bet I can confuse u with a long medical essay.
Re: CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans by HOTARIO(m): 11:52pm On Jul 28, 2016
@Yomi007k, I appreciate your angle. However, I am not in the commercial field as you put it. Walk me down the medical alley and i will not be in total darkness.

In today's world information is available at the push of a button. What I have said is people should at least try a little research for an insight into new information before delving into irrelevant matters.

cheers

1 Like

Re: CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans by Bestslimever(m): 11:57am On Sep 07, 2016
Do you want to make more money?
Do you have internet enabled phone?
Do you have #4000?
Do you have bank account?
Do you have friends that want financial freedom?
If your answer is YES then you are 100% qualified to earn #200,000 every month with just referrals.

WhatsApp
+2347063375995

Telegram
+2348172817366

Business only
Thank you.
Re: CBN Directs Banks To Provide For Foreign Currency Loans by FrancisAdl(m): 10:11am On Dec 09, 2016
Please, who has successfully purchased items from Amazon UK with Nigerian card?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria’s External Reserves Rise $595m / Exporting Charcoal And Bitter Kola / First Bank: Our South-East Branches Are Open

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.