Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Here's Nigeria's Most Heartless Killer - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Here's Nigeria's Most Heartless Killer (803 Views)

Cohabiting: The Silent Killer Of Students In Tertiary Institutions / JAMB Reveals Nigeria's Most Popular Universities. / Nigeria's Most Famous School Collapses In Lagos - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here's Nigeria's Most Heartless Killer by endtimeshit(m): 8:30pm On Jul 30, 2016
The most heartless killer is the Nigerian Educational system. Here's proof.
Growing up as a kid, I knew I was going to be a doctor; and not just any doctor, a neuro-surgeon. Being the dream child parents looked for, there was no doubt that I was going to go far. I never failed to top my class most of the time through my primary and secondary education. As I proceeded through the ranks, it became obvious to me that things were not what they seemed, as regarding getting admissions.
In my Junior Secondary Certificate Exam, I had ten 'A's, and a credit in mathematics. How can I forget the mighty chunk of meat mum fried for me? Or those head shattering words of pride I heard my father tell his peers about me? That result qualified me to attend one special school in FCT, but I was not offered admission, eventhough I passed the aptitude test the school organised. I can still remember how I cried when it became very clear I was not going to attend 'School for the Gifted, Gwagwalada'. Heaven didn't fall, and the sun didn't refuse to shine, and I settled into another Government school nearby.
Three years later, I sat for JAMB. When the results came out, my results were so short of my expectations, that I had to tell myself it was an error, and it would be corrected. Till today, the figures never changed. I would have agreed I failed, if many other very intelligent students in my school didn't fail as well. One began to wonder, 'is it not the same things we were taught that JAMB examined us on?' Bad as my score (183) was(in respect to my expectaions), I was able to secure admission into the prestigous University of Abuja.
Ofcourse, with a score as low as that, there was no way I could be offered my dream course (medicine and surgery). Currently, I'm tied to physics, which I never had a crush on. I am not doing badly in the field, but it has succeeded in building a very tall fence between me and my in-built talent. Like me, you cant be offering a course that was imposed on you, and still have time for writting, or dancing (if you're a dancer) or other hobby-like talents of yours. You'll have to choose one. This is just my own specie of the story.
Someone knows he was made to be an engineer, but because JAMB says otherwise, through tests that will not be accepted as standard in developed parts of the world, a university will tell the 'born-an-engineer' to go and read social studies. Same school will offer a clone of Ramsey Noah, who should be behind cameras, a course in chemistry.
Ordinarily, I can round up this physics course I'm currently reading, and pursue my dream, but with what I and other students are made to go through, I cant. When lecturers teach us, they say 'in exams, you may be asked...'. This is very annoying, as it is very foolish. So I'm being taught Albert Einsteins postulates, just to pass exams, and not to bring up new applications for them? When my mates in other countries are creating computer circuits, I'm here in Nigeria, drawing them on paper. Nigeria aint going no where..

Cc: Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Here's Nigeria's Most Heartless Killer by Flexherbal(m): 8:50pm On Jul 30, 2016
You have a point, sir.

1 Like

Re: Here's Nigeria's Most Heartless Killer by druxy(m): 8:57pm On Jul 30, 2016
TRUE!!...how person go solve all this things instead of the complaints

1 Like

Re: Here's Nigeria's Most Heartless Killer by kennedy09(m): 9:31pm On Jul 30, 2016
Our education system is really messed up. All cause of one stupid jamb exam you could loose pursuing your dream academic field. I don't have any solution to it but I hope someone out there does and is willing to implement it.

1 Like

Re: Here's Nigeria's Most Heartless Killer by endtimeshit(m): 11:18am On Jul 31, 2016
kennedy09:
Our education system is really messed up. All cause of one stupid jamb exam you could loose pursuing your dream academic field. I don't have any solution to it but I hope someone out there does and is willing to implement it.
Me too
Re: Here's Nigeria's Most Heartless Killer by DrayZee: 12:20pm On Jul 31, 2016
Yes you have a point. But as you can see, Nigerian government don't care at all about the educational sector. No matter what level you check, whether primary, secondary or the tertiary institutions, you will discover flaws... Flaws which should not be found in a sane educational system...

As for me I'm tired of talking. Let the government do what they want. Because as things are now, Nigeria is not a good place to pursue your dreams. You have to go with what works.

(1) (Reply)

UNIUYO 2016/2017 Post Utme/admission Screening Form Is Officially Re-opened! / YABATECH Post-utme Admission Screening Form 2016/2017 Is Out / Akanu Ibiam Poly Unwana 2016/17 Post UTME Screening Form On Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.