Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,458 members, 7,830,281 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance (1132 Views)

Praying For Death, Seeking For Vengeance Is Anti-christ–adeboye / Why I Won't Seek Vengeance Against Killers Of Abuja Preacher- Adeboye / Dear Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Of Coza : Et Cetera Writes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:52pm On Jul 31, 2016
I read a piece that reported the words of respected Preacher of the Gospel and the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye "Daddy GO". In the said report, Daddy GO Adeboye made attempt to justify his stance on not seeking for justice for the slained Abuja Preacher Eunice Olawale Elisha, who was murdered by suspected islamic fanatics while preaching the gospel of her christian faiths. According to Daddy GO “I’m not looking for vengeance. I won’t listen to people asking me to seek vengeance." “I won’t pursue the case. That’ll be contrary to what she wanted." “She wanted them saved, not killed." “What will their killing do for me.

While I agree with Daddy GO that seeking vengeance is un-Christlike, and no Christian is permitted to seek vengeance, I also wish to inform him that vengeance is also a crime in Nigeria. However, what is deserving of the slain Mrs Elisha is justice. Justice and not vengeance is what we seek.

The Bible that is our supreme guide as Christians is against vengeance but not against Justice. Justice in this case is the consequence of the deeds against Mrs Elisha by a group of people that have denied her the Right to life, and also denied her children the joy of motherhood. What about her husband that has been denied his life companion? Non apprehension and trial of the perpetrators of the heinous crime is tantamount to injustice, and God is against injustice.

It is God that established Civil Authorities, Kingdoms, Governments and Judges(Romans 13:1b).. From the time of old, God has ensured that humans face the consequences of their actions according to the law.

The brutal killing of Mrs Elisha is a crime against the State, that is meant to protect the LIVES and PROPERTIES of ALL citizens and residents within the State including the victim. The President, who is the Constitutional Head of Government, whose responsibility lies the protection of Mrs Elisha is meant to ensure that those that sniffed out Mrs Elisha's life and denied her the right to live are apprehended and punished according to the law.

This is not a case of Daddy GO nor the Redeemed Christian Church of God, neither is it the case of the family of Mrs Elisha with due respect to the aforementioned. This is a case for the Federal Government of Nigeria. There is no vengeance in seeking justice before constituted authority.

The Ministry of Justice, the Police Force, and other relevant security outfit have the responsibility of bringing the culprits before the Judge to face to justice irrespective of the opinion of people.

THE CHURCH AND COURT
Though it is agreed that Christians forgive, it is never stated that Christians shouldn't go to court nor seek justice from civil authorities.

In fact, as I type, there is a case in Ogun State High Court, Sagamu Division between families living at Agunforye, Ososanya, Isaga Kekere, Isaga Nla, Ebute Agbara, Pagbo, Igbonla Adeleye, Igbonla Akinremi and Olaparun villages in Makun area of Sagamu Local Government Area of Ogun Stat(PLAINTIFF) VS RCCG, Adeboye and 8 others (RESPONDENTS) over claim by the villagers that RCCG encroached on their land.

I am very sure that RCCG did not give up the land and "Leave the Plaintiffs to God" but instead submitted to civil authority and the court.

In April 2015, the Deeper Life Bible Church wrote the Police to wade into a land issue between some indigens and the Church, and demanded justice be done. They never said "Let us leave the land to them for God". They sought the intervention of police, which is appropriate.

If RCCG can make appearance in court over land, I don't think there is any justification in not seeking Justice for Mrs Elisha. In fact, I expect RCCG and the entire Christian Community to champion the call for justice.

Though Daddy GO and others in their individual capacities might have forgiven the culprits and earnestly pray for the repentance of their souls (which is good), it doesn't stop the demand for earthly justice according to the law.

Finally, there are two levels of justice, one has to do with spiritual while the other physical. The spiritual has to do with God, while the physical is administered by civil government. Our forgiveness as Christians has to do with our obligation to leave justice to God(spiritual), but has no effect on Civil authority (Physical). I may forgive you for taking my money but the law will not let you go for theft or armed robbery.

#JusticeForMrsElisha... RIP Mrs Elisha...

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by agabaI23(m): 3:54pm On Jul 31, 2016
Yes, this is properly put. When they would have killed all the prophets and evangelists, who will be there to preach to them?

This is 2016 and not 1AD
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by nijabazaar: 3:54pm On Jul 31, 2016
Good piece...
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by Redoil: 3:57pm On Jul 31, 2016
The way the southwest people warship the northerner is becoming alarming.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by Tycike: 3:58pm On Jul 31, 2016
WORD
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by Tolexander: 4:03pm On Jul 31, 2016
If civil justice was done on Saul masterminding the pelting of Stephen to death and other persecutions, how many books would be contained in the new testament?

Cc TonyeBarcanista

2 Likes

Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:10pm On Jul 31, 2016
agabaI23:
Yes, this is properly put. When they would have killed all the prophets and evangelists, who will be there to preach to them?
This is 2016 and not 1AD
Gbam
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:16pm On Jul 31, 2016
Tolexander:
If civil justice was done on Saul masterminding the pelting of Stephen to death and other persecutions, how many books would be contained in the new testament?

Cc TonyeBarcanista
In the case of Stephen he was found guilty of blasphemy (which was the law as at that time) and punishable by death.

If Saul had killed him on his own it would have been murder, and Saul would have gone in for it.

Mrs Elisha was murdered by a group not the State
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by Emyogalanya: 4:57pm On Jul 31, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
I read a piece that reported the words of respected Preacher of the Gospel and the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye "Daddy GO". In the said report, Daddy GO Adeboye made attempt to justify his stance on not seeking for justice for the slained Abuja Preacher Eunice Olawale Elisha, who was murdered by suspected islamic fanatics while preaching the gospel of her christian faiths. According to Daddy GO “I’m not looking for vengeance. I won’t listen to people asking me to seek vengeance." “I won’t pursue the case. That’ll be contrary to what she wanted." “She wanted them saved, not killed." “What will their killing do for me.

While I agree with Daddy GO that seeking vengeance is un-Christlike, and no Christian is permitted to seek vengeance, I also wish to inform him that vengeance is also a crime in Nigeria. However, what is deserving of the slain Mrs Elisha is justice. Justice and not vengeance is what we seek.

The Bible that is our supreme guide as Christians is against vengeance but not against Justice. Justice in this case is the consequence of the deeds against Mrs Elisha by a group of people that have denied her the Right to life, and also denied her children the joy of motherhood. What about her husband that has been denied his life companion? Non apprehension and trial of the perpetrators of the heinous crime is tantamount to injustice, and God is against injustice.

It is God that established Civil Authorities, Kingdoms, Governments and Judges(Romans 13:1b).. From the time of old, God has ensured that humans face the consequences of their actions according to the law.

The brutal killing of Mrs Elisha is a crime against the State, that is meant to protect the LIVES and PROPERTIES of ALL citizens and residents within the State including the victim. The President, who is the Constitutional Head of Government, whose responsibility lies the protection of Mrs Elisha is meant to ensure that those that sniffed out Mrs Elisha's life and denied her the right to live are apprehended and punished according to the law.

This is not a case of Daddy GO nor the Redeemed Christian Church of God, neither is it the case of the family of Mrs Elisha with due respect to the aforementioned. This is a case for the Federal Government of Nigeria. There is no vengeance in seeking justice before constituted authority.

The Ministry of Justice, the Police Force, and other relevant security outfit have the responsibility of bringing the culprits before the Judge to face to justice irrespective of the opinion of people.

THE CHURCH AND COURT
Though it is agreed that Christians forgive, it is never stated that Christians shouldn't go to court nor seek justice from civil authorities.

In fact, as I type, there is a case in Ogun State High Court, Sagamu Division between families living at Agunforye, Ososanya, Isaga Kekere, Isaga Nla, Ebute Agbara, Pagbo, Igbonla Adeleye, Igbonla Akinremi and Olaparun villages in Makun area of Sagamu Local Government Area of Ogun Stat(PLAINTIFF) VS RCCG, Adeboye and 8 others (RESPONDENTS) over claim by the villagers that RCCG encroached on their land.

I am very sure that RCCG did not give up the land and "Leave the Plaintiffs to God" but instead submitted to civil authority and the court.

In April 2015, the Deeper Life Bible Church wrote the Police to wade into a land issue between some indigens and the Church, and demanded justice be done. They never said "Let us leave the land to them for God". They sought the intervention of police, which is appropriate.

If RCCG can make appearance in court over land, I don't think there is any justification in not seeking Justice for Mrs Elisha. In fact, I expect RCCG and the entire Christian Community to champion the call for justice.

Though Daddy GO and others in their individual capacities might have forgiven the culprits and earnestly pray for the repentance of their souls (which is good), it doesn't stop the demand for earthly justice according to the law.

Finally, there are two levels of justice, one has to do with spiritual while the other physical. The spiritual has to do with God, while the physical is administered by civil government. Our forgiveness as Christians has to do with our obligation to leave justice to God(spiritual), but has no effect on Civil authority (Physical). I may forgive you for taking my money but the law will not let you go for theft or armed robbery.

Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 31, 2016
Since the bible is replete with stories of God killing entire races for actions of a few,In the average xtian mind justice equates to vengeance
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by Emyogalanya: 5:09pm On Jul 31, 2016
Well spoken tonye the truth is we Christians often mistake justice for vengeance and its the reason why Muslims keep getting away with this always. By killing that lady they committed a crime not just against her, family etc its a crime against the nigerian state. Its the duty of the nigerian state to get justice to its citizen, no matter dial faith. But the nigerian state gives Muslim an edge over others. And see crime against Christians as normal. We need to re-define our togetherness that lead to agitations
TonyeBarcanista:
I read a piece that reported the words of the General Overseer attempt to justify his stance on not seeking for justice for the slained Abuja Preacher Eunice Olawale Elisha, who was murdered by suspected islamic fanatics while preaching the gospel of her christian faiths. According to Daddy GO “I’m not looking for vengeance. I won’t listen to people asking me to seek vengeance." “I won’t pursue the case. That’ll be contrary to what she wanted." “She wanted them saved, not killed." “What will their killing do for me.

THE CHURCH AND COURT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:04pm On Jul 31, 2016
Emyogalanya:
Well spoken tonye the truth is we Christians often mistake justice for vengeance and its the reason why Muslims keep getting away with this always. By killing that lady they committed a crime not just against her, family etc its a crime against the nigerian state. Its the duty of the nigerian state to get justice to its citizen, no matter dial faith. But the nigerian state gives Muslim an edge over others. And see crime against Christians as normal. We need to re-define our togetherness that lead to agitations

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by bayulll011(m): 6:15pm On Jul 31, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
I read a piece that reported the words of respected Preacher of

Good write up barcanista,I always point this africa will never develop,we are so docile and expect angel to always fight our battle,I understand Daddy GO not trying to heat up the situations,but justice should be served to those animals that killed a fellow human in cold blood,America will say in God we trust,that is after work,but Nigeria will not work and Trust God,in a sane society those people will be fish out and made to pay for there crime against humanity,Mrs Elisha in God arena no doubt but she deserves justice,her kids deserves justice,her husband deserve justice.

N.B we are not fighting for God,things like this make us a joke to the outside world and call us unserious nation
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by hilomdave: 6:47pm On Jul 31, 2016
Yes
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:05pm On Jul 31, 2016
bayulll011:

Good write up barcanista,I always point this africa will never develop,we are so docile and expect angel to always fight our battle,I understand Daddy GO not trying to heat up the situations,but justice should be served to those animals that killed a fellow human in cold blood,America will say in God we trust,that is after work,but Nigeria will not work and Trust God,in a sane society those people will be fish out and made to pay for there crime against humanity,Mrs Elisha in God arena no doubt but she deserves justice,her kids deserves justice,her husband deserve justice.

N.B we are not fighting for God,things like this make us a joke to the outside world and call us unserious nation
I think GO only want to impress some people. We should not be afraid to make demand for justice

1 Like

Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by RZArecta(m): 12:03am On Aug 01, 2016
I honestly did not understand what pastor Adeboye was talking about. A strongly worded condemnation of the act at least or an encouragement of the laws of the land to take its course. But what do you expect from gambari republic grin

I'M BACK SÙCKERS
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by Nobody: 3:42am On Aug 05, 2016
Great piece

The decision to not call for vengeance or justice may be justified on the basis of possible mis conception of the statement by the media and general populace. Also a broad statement on this issue will also require the church to speak on every issue with similar circumstances irrespective of them being members of RCCG or not. Failure to do so will reflect a lack of empathy for all. The church must be seen to empathise with both Christians and non Christians so as to win them for God

If the church leaders must abstain from making comments on this issue, then I must say they should retreat from every potentially political affiliations or colorations in policy and endorsements

CAN is the right body to properly address these issues. The challenge we really have now is that the church has not empowered CAN through their membership to garner enough political clout to be heard. That is the responsibility of church leaders and founders in Nigeria. They must let members see themselves as CAN. CAN should not be left for the constituted CAN leadership. In fact CAN should be more ecumenical and less doctrinal in posture. A failure to do this in this present generation will mean Christianity might be pushed out of the Nigerian space within the next coiple of decades
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by flamingREED(m): 5:55am On Aug 05, 2016
The devil cites scriptures for his purpose_
You didn't even back up your claim with the scriptures.

@ TonyeBarcanista,

CHRIST NEVER GAVE THE CHURCH SUCH A COMMANDMENT.

WHAT HAPPENED TO MRS ELISHA
IS MARTYRDOM.

THERE'S NO PRESCRIBED RETALIATORY ORDINANCE FOR THE CHURCH ON THIS MATTER.

But the family of the deceased are free to seek justice.
Yet, if they forgive the offenders,
It's more acceptable before God_

Saul of tarsus did more havoc,
But God spared him because he was ignorant.

Don't think one or two of those killers might not repent eventually.
And if they do,
It's more profitable to God and the church because such persons usually turn out as fierce ministers for Christ_

Forgiveness, which is an act of love,
Is a very potent weapon in preparing the ground for an effective gospel outreach.

Without this, in most cases, it will be hard to do the work Jesus committed into our hands. Unforgiving attitude builds a blockade against the convicting mercies by which the gospel is spread.

He gave his life, with forgiveness, which has drawn many into God's salvation.

Revelation 2
10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Romans 8
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or unclothedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by Paulpaulpaul(m): 9:34am On Aug 05, 2016
People should stop comparing Saul/Stephen's case with this MS. Constitutionally, there are three religions in Nigeria while Christianity was not an acceptable religious practice when Stephen was killed.

I saw Baba GO's statement as modern days pastors evasive ways of attending to pressing issues. If he had said something different, the same brouhaha would still happen.
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by eunisam: 7:24pm On Aug 11, 2016
injustice to one person is injustice to everybody
Re: Dear Pastor Adeboye, The Call For Justice Is Not Call For Vengeance by Goroz: 9:23pm On Aug 11, 2016
In the words of Martin Luther King, "an injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere "

(1) (Reply)

Do Not Lose Your Soul To Worldly Music / Which Of These Bible Characters Appear Wiser/less Foolish? / Funny Prophecies For Nigeria In 2018. Please, Add Your Own!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.