Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,067 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Left Hand - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Left Hand (1212 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. / Itching Of The Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Left Hand by ladygaga(f): 11:40pm On Sep 20, 2009
HELLO PEOPLE,
I am a chronic 'leftee',
i eat,write, with my left, inshort i do everything a 'rightee' does with his/her right hand with my left and viceversa.
and i wonder why a lot of people react in a crazy and funny way when i give or collect things from them with my let hand,
and it gets me thinking, WHAT IS REALLY WRONG IN USING LEFT HAND? ANY SPIRITUAL(i know there isnt but some people look and treat me like i am the devil himself),BIOLOGICAL,PHYScological implication,

i need answers pls?
Re: Left Hand by ChinenyeN(m): 12:00am On Sep 21, 2009
A simple question deserves a simple answer. . .
It is simply just a cultural thing.
Re: Left Hand by Gamine(f): 1:38am On Sep 21, 2009
Its just a cultural backward way of thinking
We became so used to discrimination that even
our body parts have a superior and inferior

i bought something at an eatery and because of what
i was carrying, i gave the cashier the money with my left hand
the guy called me a name under his breath n hissed,
i kinda convinced myself it wasnt about the left hand thing sha.lol
he was lebanese or something along those lines.

so i gotta say, nothing is wrong with your left hand
spiritually or physically, no body part is superior.
Re: Left Hand by ChinenyeN(m): 2:19am On Sep 21, 2009
Unlike Gamine, I wouldn't call it a backward way of thinking, because we are not culturally discriminating against body parts (I don't know how Gamine came to that conclusion). For me, it is just cultural; just as the Japanese (I believe. . well, either them, or some other Asian group) require both hands in their culture. So, there's nothing wrong with your left hand. In fact, where I'm from, so long as it is known and acknowledged that you are left-handed, by default, you're pardoned. You wouldn't really be expected to use your right hand, but it would still be preferred. So you have nothing to worry about, spiritually, biologically, psychologically, in regards to your left hand. It's just that we're culturally right-handed in regards to interactions and transaction.
Re: Left Hand by Gamine(f): 2:37am On Sep 21, 2009
I don't know how Gamine came to that conclusion

When they say left hand is not good
and force a child to use the right,
you still dont know how undecided undecided undecided

why should the right hand be preferred,
and you still dont know 'how' undecided undecided undecided
Re: Left Hand by ChinenyeN(m): 3:34am On Sep 21, 2009
I guess we've had different experiences, because where I'm from, we aren't forced to use our right hands. We're raised to use our right hands, because it is culturally expected that we use our right hands (excluding the cases of left-handed people, at least, where I'm from). Just as Asian groups are raised to use both hands, because it is culturally expected amongst those Asian groups to use both hands.

Gamine:

why should the right hand be preferred,
Why should Asian groups prefer both hands?
It is simply just culture.

Gamine:

When they say left hand is not good
Yes, it is not good to use the left hand (as in, it is not culturally acceptable to use the left hand) for interactions and transactions, because it is just culturally considered to be extremely rude. I don't think it gets any deeper than that.
Re: Left Hand by SeanT21(f): 4:13am On Sep 21, 2009
My step father hated me using my left hand. He said the only time U should use ur left hand is when cleaning ur ass.
Re: Left Hand by ChinenyeN(m): 4:26am On Sep 21, 2009
SeanT21:

My step father hated me using my left hand. He said the only time U should use your left hand is when cleaning your ass.
grin grin This reminds me of a saying we have, where I'm from. It says, "the left hand is closest to the anus".
Maybe that has something to do with us being culturally right-handed. *shrug*
Re: Left Hand by Secretz(f): 9:45am On Sep 21, 2009
SeanT21:

My step father hated me using my left hand. He said the only time U should use your left hand is when cleaning your ass.

roflmao!! grin

I was born left handed but 'trained' to use my right. . . . (wicked people). can now write with both, but . . . . my strength remains in my left hand, however, I write better and neater with my right. You see how these people don confuse me sef.

It's a silly cultural thing, that they should get rid of. A few of my younger cousins and my lil niece are left handed and if I see anyone trying to 'change' them, I get nasty! grin
Re: Left Hand by ladygaga(f): 11:11am On Sep 21, 2009
@gamine,i can imagine!
There was a day my mum nd i went to d fuel station,so afta d guy finishd pumpin fuel in our tank,my mum then gave me sme money to giv d guy, only 4 d guy to refuse!he said it was 'rude' to give money wit my lefthand, i insulted him and it turned into a big hot argument that ppl startd lookin and wonderin wot was wrong! I ended up throwin d money on the floor!
Its so crazy, even when i go to eateries to eat,i find people lookin at me!
Even sme born 'leftee' will say its wrng to eat wit d left hand as they v bn made to eat wit dia right,
Me,i dont send again ooh!
What a terrible mentality!
Re: Left Hand by ChinenyeN(m): 12:13pm On Sep 21, 2009
ladygaga:

@gamine,i can imagine!
There was a day my mum nd i went to d fuel station,so afta d guy finishd pumpin fuel in our tank,my mum then gave me sme money to giv d guy, only 4 d guy to refuse!he said it was 'rude' to give money wit my lefthand,[b] i insulted him [/b]and it turned into a big hot argument that ppl startd lookin and wonderin wot was wrong! I ended up throwin d money on the floor!
Just because he refused the money, and said it was [culturally] rude to use your left hand?
Re: Left Hand by ladygaga(f): 12:21pm On Sep 21, 2009
Just because he refused the money, and said it was [culturally] rude to use your left hand?

YEEEEEEEEEEES I DID, ANY PROBLEM WITH THAT
Re: Left Hand by ChinenyeN(m): 12:29pm On Sep 21, 2009
Well, it seems like you overreacted, to me. Insulting him, just because of that, seems very unnecessary. *shrug*
But, oh well. What's done is done.

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Help With Translation (yoruba) / Some Sex Practice Cultures / Culture: Mordern Day Man Vs Mordern Day Woman (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.