Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,507 members, 7,826,919 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

What Is The Origin Of Ifa? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Origin Of Ifa? (2463 Views)

Proving The Truthfulness Of IFA Oracle According To The Christian Bible / Dove And Pigeon Itan: The Power Of Ifa Divination / Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by Alhajipablo(m): 1:29pm On Aug 02, 2016
I came across this 2011 thread by blims and I found it interesting; I am posing the same question as the original poster had

Dear all,

i seek the attention of an understanding person to put me through my question,

How did Ifa originate?

like sango, sango is a man who lived as a powerful person and after his death people adopted him as a religion and source of communicating to their god to get their wishes,

Now to ifa, How did ifa originate, and where? how did they come about the opan ifa they use and the opele,

need your attention
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by PastorAIO: 2:48pm On Aug 02, 2016
Alhajipablo:
I came across this 2011 thread by blims and I found it interesting; I am posing the same question as the original poster had

Dear all,

How did Ifa originate?

like sango, sango is a man who lived as a powerful person and after his death people adopted him as a religion and source of communicating to their god to get their wishes,

Now to ifa, How did ifa originate, and where? how did they come about the opan ifa they use and the opele,

need your attention

Nobody knows who wrote the etchings on our palms. We came into this world to find them already there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by lawani: 11:17am On Aug 31, 2016
Ifa is based on an assumption by Orunmila that there is no coincidence, everything is an omen and that a certain entity is always trying frantically to reveal secrets to us, then we are one whole, not separate, we live in a matrix. The only way to live a successful life is to be fair to others.

So having realised everything is an omen, he designed a powerful tool comprising of 256 omens, if you like you can design system of 1000 omens, understand them properly, then choose one at random to answer a question but after proper consecration, it will answer your question. Various forms of the tool exist worldwide.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by ifenes(m): 11:33am On Aug 31, 2016
Ifa is a much more advance practical Astrology.The universe is home to a host of celestial bodies. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn Pluto and Uranus; who were worshiped by all indigenous cultures around the globe under numerous names. They have influenced the actions of man since time . All religious mythology was influenced by astrology; was it any wonder man sought out guidance from the heavens.

Ifa itself is confirmed Alchemy. How I wished it was documented,it would be the most sort knowledge in the world.

The traditional Yoruba believe that everything within nature on earth possesses a consciousness; plant animal mineral and man. The Orisha’s characters are based on the characteristic nature of the planets. The fact that everything contains consciousness,interaction with everything in nature is possible. Voodoo,Jazz,witchcraft are all part of nature.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by bilms(m): 1:15am On Apr 03, 2019
Alhajipablo:

Dear all,

How did Ifa originate?

need your attention

Unknown Yoruba History

Obatala, according to Ese IFA, was a native of Ifon Osun. He was one of the inductees who migrated to Ile Ife for esoteric studies at the beginning of Ile Ife as a sacred grove. Orunmila was from Igbeti, Ogun from Ikole, IFA from Ado Ekiti, Esu from Ijelu Ekiti. They all migrated from their nativities to Ile Ife

Obatala became the Obalufe in the pre hereditary Ile Ife monarch. He excelled in all areas, including commerce and art craft. This success was due to the ingenuity of AJE, the minister of Commerce.

Obatala was deposed at Ife and with his supporters they migrated through forest to the present Ilaje to found Ode Ugbo.

Ese IFA praise Obatala as a man who reigned in two kingdoms: Ile Ife and Ode Ugbo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by bilms(m): 1:22am On Apr 03, 2019
Orunmila, according to ESE IFA came from "Eyin Igeti", which we know is Igbeti. The same ESE IFA made allusion to several Ado but we are inclined to accept Ado Ekiti as the birthplace of IFA.

The two migrated to Ile Ife at different time. The narrations in the oral accounts show Orunmila as far more ancient than others who eventually migrated yo Ile Ife. It seemed that the arrival of Orunmila at Ile Ife marked the beginning of codification of IFA corpus. It marked the beginning of articulation of the mystics, which Ile Ife was purposely created for. During Orunmila, the mystics seemed not to have name. The arrival of IFA and his dexterity in classification of the divinity into verses to reinforce the earlier codification later made the adherence of the mystics to define it as IFA.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by bilms(m): 1:56am On Apr 03, 2019
Ifa is the Foundation of Yoruba Land

The Yoruba people of South West Nigeria, are one of the largest ethnic group south of the Sahara Desert. In several ways they are one of the most interesting and important people of the continent of Africa. Their religion is called Orisa. The population of Yoruba people as of 1962 had reached 10-11 million people. Their traditions with in urban life give them a unique place among not only other African societies as well many other societies in the World. Yoruba society has been well known and advanced in the areas of Economics, Government, and in particular Art and Religion. They rank highly among other West African ethnic groups, representing the highest level of cultural achievement in Sub Saharan Africa.

Their religion called Orisa has been misinterpreted when missionaries came into their midsts. Orisa in Yoruba perspective, according to one Ese Ifa or Ifa stanza say, Orunmila said human beings became Orisa, I said, human beings became Orisa, Orunmila said, don’t you see Ogun, he is a human being, but when he demonstrated wisdom and power he was elevated and became Orisa. I said human beings became Orisa, he said don’t you see Obatala, he is human being, but when he demonstrated wisdom and power, he was elevated and became Orisa. The other Orisa where blessed as well from human being to Orisa. They worshiped a knowledgeable person it is human being that became Orisa.

Orisa is Yoruba cosmology. Those that selected their ori became more superior than others. Èniyàn tí Orí sà dá. If Jesus was born in Yoruba land he would have been pronounced an Orisa and like wise Muhammad.

Every town and village in Yoruba Land has its foundation in Ese Ifa or Ifa stanza. Each town was established and founded with Odu Ifa. They used this Odu Ifa to established the culture and tradition of each town. Just as an adage says, Bayi ni àáse nile wa èèwò ni bomiran

The odu ifa for each town as follows

Ede – Osa Oloyan
Ila Orangun – Ofun Meji
Osogbo – Idin Ileke
Iwo – Obara Otua
Ado ibini- odi meji
Ipapo – Otura Meji
Ido Ekiti – Ogunda Wori
Ido Osure – Obara meji
Awori Ota – Irete Owonrin
Oko – Ogunda Meji
Agbada Rigi – Ogbe Ogunda
Ilu Apa – Oyeku Meji
Oyo Alaafin – Ogbe Otura
Ilorin- Okanran Iwori

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by bilms(m): 1:56am On Apr 03, 2019
We know very little about most of the earliest personalities. Just very little we could assemble through oral accounts and ESE IFA.

Like I wrote above, IFA is agreed to have come from Ado Ekiti. Take note that the mysticism we call IFA in Yoruba is a general esoteric knowledge to all ancient African civilization. From Egypt, Meroe, Zimbabwe, Kanem and Kanuri, Yoruba, Igbo, Ashanti, Nupe, Tiv etc

The universal spread of this knowledge points to the truth that Africans interrelated deeply in prehistorical time. IFA must have got in contact with the mysticism first at Ikole or Iyagba axis. The areas around Ekiti and Iyagba contain the largest Baba Alawo today.

Meanwhile, ESE IFA recorded the 7 children of IFA as: Oloye Moyin, Elejelu Mope, Ajero, Alara, Olowo and Owarangun Aga. Historians have difficulty with this list though, particularly the use of 7, which is a common phenomenon in Yoruba philosophy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by Mysteriousworld: 6:22pm On Mar 16, 2023
Thank you for this, I'm a christian but enjoying this research...
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by lawani: 6:38pm On Mar 16, 2023
Mysteriousworld:
Thank you for this, I'm a christian but enjoying this research...

IFA is a scientific theology and not a religion like Christianity threatening unbelievers with hell and breeding terrorists.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by Mysteriousworld: 9:39am On Aug 27, 2023
Christianity doesn't threaten anyone with he'll...
We humans are wicked, we've done many wickedness...
Now ,don't you think it'll be u just if sin isn't punished? Imagine I kill innocent people and the whole family are in pains, and I live my life without consequences
Does that make sense
God will judge sin, evil people won't go unpunished.
Now don't you think such judge is nice enough to give us the grace to repent
God is good
We chose wickedness
And the wickedness won't go unpunished.
Christ saves.

lawani:

IFA is a scientific theology and not a religion like Christianity threatening unbelievers with hell and breeding terrorists.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by lawani: 11:05am On Aug 27, 2023
Mysteriousworld:
Now ,don't you think it'll be u just if sin isn't punished? Imagine I kill innocent people and the whole family are in pains, and I live my life without consequences
Does that make sense
God is good
We chose wickedness
Christ saves.

As anyone ever felt awesome doing evil?. The day you do evil is the day you start suffering and you will suffer all before dying. I don't believe there is suffering in heaven. What for?.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by Mysteriousworld: 11:42am On Aug 27, 2023
Not everyone that does evil suffer till they die, and there are little evils we do that we think we are right, and have excuses for... but God knows the truth, that's why he will judge us all.

The reason I believe the bible is because no other book in history has the story of humanity's past packaged...... not just that, but also includes today and what will happen tomorrow... who does that?
I can only pray you find Christ the Truth. Its your only option

Just as many sperms entered the woman, and only one comes into this world, so are the destinies of those that made it into this world... it has happened before , it will happen again... this is not the final destination.

Note , interms of dna, each sperms is unique from the other, no one sperms is the same.

lawani:

As anyone ever felt awesome doing evil?. The day you do evil is the day you start suffering and you will suffer all before dying. I don't believe there is suffering in heaven. What for?.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by correctguy101(m): 11:46am On Aug 27, 2023
Mysteriousworld:
Does that make sense
God is good
We chose wickedness
Christ saves.

If a person spent most of their life killing people and plundering much wealth for themselves and family. Will God forgive an assshole like that if he begs for forgiveness at a later stage in life?

No need to talk too much about what my royal self will do to such a murderer. Me wey prefer the God of the old testament on matters like this, visiting the iniquities of the former generation on the new and future ones ... angry
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by Mysteriousworld: 12:13pm On Aug 27, 2023
Yea, I feel you, the God of the old testament takes no nonsense, right? well, wait, Read revelation and see how dreadful Jesus Christ will be. Dem go fear fear.

As you just said, someone who has done such evils shouldn't have a chance.... that's were we're different from God, that shows his love for us, he doesn't judge like us, that's how far the sacrifice of christ goes, no matter how evil... when we're alive, there's a chance for redemption.... but once this life is gone... grin , there's no coming back... The blood of Christ comes with so much grace for our souls, everyone who doesn't reject but accepts his invitation offer.

correctguy101:

If a person spent most of their life killing people and plundering much wealth for themselves and family. Will God forgive an assshole like that if he begs for forgiveness at a later stage in life?

No need to talk too much about what my royal self will do to such a murderer. Me wey prefer the God of the old testament on matters like this, visiting the iniquities of the former generation on the new and future ones ... angry
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by lawani: 1:38pm On Aug 27, 2023
Mysteriousworld:
Not everyone that does evil suffer till they die, and there are little evils we do that we think we are right, and have excuses for... but God knows the truth, that's why he will judge us all.

The reason I believe the bible is because no other book in history has the story of humanity's past packaged...... not just that, but also includes today and what will happen tomorrow... who does that?
I can only pray you find Christ the Truth. Its your only option

Just as many sperms entered the woman, and only one comes into this world, so are the destinies of those that made it into this world... it has happened before , it will happen again... this is not the final destination.

Note , interms of dna, each sperms is unique from the other, no one sperms is the same.

Some do evil and think they are right. Those are people of religion. That is insanity. Can you punish someone for insanity? No but his or her actions will draw karma to him or her and if you kill innocent people thinking you are right then you will get killed yourself like a war casualty and that certainly will happen at one point because what you sow you will reap.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:09pm On Aug 27, 2023
Mysteriousworld:

Yea, I feel you, the God of the old testament takes no nonsense, right? well, wait, Read revelation and see how dreadful Jesus Christ will be. Dem go fear fear.
As you just said, someone who has done such evils shouldn't have a chance.... that's were we're different from God, that shows his love for us, he doesn't judge like us, that's how far the sacrifice of christ goes, no matter how evil... when we're alive, there's a chance for redemption.... but once this life is gone... grin , there's no coming back... The blood of Christ comes with so much grace for our souls, everyone who doesn't reject but accepts his invitation offer.

If you're going out and warned your child not to scatter the house but he did anyway will you burn his fingers?
If everything he scattered is still under control as in what you can rearrange then it's either you keep him of the place not to cause further disrupt but what if he later fill so sorry for his actions and started to put things in order even though your assistance will be needed will you still send him out of the place?

Well let me show you the meaning of this illustration.

God is not planning horror for evildoers all He concluded is removing them from among the living and forgetting them in their graves {Psalms 9:17 compare to Proverbs 2:20-22}

But what if he has genuinely repented?

That's what the blood of Jesus will do.
His past errors will be blotted out like stains that could corrupt his white garment! Psalms 103:12-14 compare to Isaiah 1:18

What about all the people he has killed?

God promised to bring back all the dead including those killed by evildoers {Job 14:13-15} by then the earth will be a Paradise where there will be no evildoers anymore! Psalms 37:9-11

So you can see that unrepentant wrongdoers are the ones loosing out completely because both the righteous and the unrighteous will be resurrected (brought back to life) under a peaceful atmosphere! Act 24:15

But it's the WICKED whose names has been removed completely in the book of life! Psalms 9:17

May you have PEACE!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by MightySparrow: 5:54pm On Aug 27, 2023
Origin of ifá is the devil. Period.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by Mysteriousworld: 2:19am On Aug 28, 2023
I didnt say anything different, I have nothing against what you've said, you probably misunderstood what I was saying.
You're right, and doesn't mean sin won't be punished, I understand your point based on the second death.

Christ talks of beginning of sorrows.
Let's call a spade a spade, we know God is loving, but he can be dreadful, his grace shouldn't be taken for granted, the world will see his judgement on earth before he comes.
Notice that Jesus christ himself opened the seals of revelation to allow all those sorrows to be poured on the earth. The devil didn't open the scrolls.
God is loving, but you don't want to try him, let us also preach about the dreadful Jesus Christ of revelation, let's preach the whole truth.

MaxInDHouse:

If you're going out and warned your child not to scatter the house but he did anyway will you burn his fingers?
If everything he scattered is still under control as in what you can rearrange then it's either you keep him of the place not to cause further disrupt but what if he later fill so sorry for his actions and started to put things in order even though your assistance will be needed will you still send him out of the place?

Well let me show you the meaning of this illustration.

God is not planning horror for evildoers all He concluded is removing them from among the living and forgetting them in their graves {Psalms 9:17 compare to Proverbs 2:20-22}

But what if he has genuinely repented?

That's what the blood of Jesus will do.
His past errors will be blotted out like stains that could corrupt his white garment! Psalms 103:12-14 compare to Isaiah 1:18

What about all the people he has killed?

God promised to bring back all the dead including those killed by evildoers {Job 14:13-15} by then the earth will be a Paradise where there will be no evildoers anymore! Psalms 37:9-11

So you can see that unrepentant wrongdoers are the ones loosing out completely because both the righteous and the unrighteous will be resurrected (brought back to life) under a peaceful atmosphere! Act 24:15

But it's the WICKED whose names has been removed completely in the book of life! Psalms 9:17

May you have PEACE!
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by Mysteriousworld: 2:22am On Aug 28, 2023
Your point isn't realistic, many do evil and still live the best life and die old. Many evil people never suffer in this world.

lawani:

Some do evil and think they are right. Those are people of religion. That is insanity. Can you punish someone for insanity? No but his or her actions will draw karma to him or her and if you kill innocent people thinking you are right then you will get killed yourself like a war casualty and that certainly will happen at one point because what you sow you will reap.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by lawani: 4:34am On Aug 28, 2023
Mysteriousworld:
Your point isn't realistic, many do evil and still live the best life and die old. Many evil people never suffer in this world.

Give me one example of an evil person who escaped punishment. Not someone who died on death row
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:05am On Aug 28, 2023
Mysteriousworld:

I didnt say anything different, I have nothing against what you've said, you probably misunderstood what I was saying.
You're right, and doesn't mean sin won't be punished, I understand your point based on the second death.
Christ talks of beginning of sorrows.
Let's call a spade a spade, we know God is loving, but he can be dreadful, his grace shouldn't be taken for granted, the world will see his judgement on earth before he comes.
Notice that Jesus christ himself opened the seals of revelation to allow all those sorrows to be poured on the earth. The devil didn't open the scrolls.
God is loving, but you don't want to try him, let us also preach about the dreadful Jesus Christ of revelation, let's preach the whole truth.

I didn't say you're wrong either! undecided

What i explained is God's plan to restore sanity on this planet.

The Bible book of Revelations was written with lots of symbolic terms, remember Jesus always speak in Parables {Matthew 13:13} so when he revealed what will happen to Apostle John {Revelations 1:1} it wasn't meant to be taken literally as most readers often think.

Let me point out few of the symbolic terms he used:

©Wild Beast: human rulers.
Revelations 17:12 compare to Daniel 7:17

©Dragon/Serpent: Satan
Revelations 12:9 compare to Genesis 3:1-5

©Babylon the Great/ the Prostitute: The world empire of false religions.
Revelations 17:5 compare to Hosea 1:2

©Lake of fire: death without resurrection.
Revelations 20:14 compare to Matthew 10:28

©The Sea: wicked and faithless miscreants.
Revelations 21:1 compare to Isaiah 57:20

But if taken literally someone will have a totally different picture yet the meaning will be completely lost!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by Mysteriousworld: 1:25pm On Aug 28, 2023
So why do you think I see revelation literally, why did you assume I will for example see the beast as a real beast? Maybe having 7 heads Why??

To let you know I do, to an extent atleast, the bible talks of a beast with 7 heads, and the same revelation said the 7 heads represent 7 kingdoms that have ruled the world., he said 5 have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come, when he comes......

How many kingdoms ruled the world before rome?
Five (5).
1.Egypt, 2,Assyria, 3,babylon(iraq), 4,persia(iran), 5,Greece.
It says one is...
Which kingdom was ruling the world in the days of Jesus or John who wrote revelation?
Rome!
One is, "rome" the other has not yet come... USA Hmm...
I can learn from you too when it comes to prophecy, and you can learn from me also.
I love discussing prophecy with people who don't think they already know it all, but are open minded to the truth.

MaxInDHouse:

I didn't say you're wrong either! undecided

What i explained is God's plan to restore sanity on this planet.

The Bible book of Revelations was written with lots of symbolic terms, remember Jesus always speak in Parables {Matthew 13:13} so when he revealed what will happen to Apostle John {Revelations 1:1} it wasn't meant to be taken literally as most readers often think.

Let me point out few of the symbolic terms he used:

©Wild Beast: human rulers.
Revelations 17:12 compare to Daniel 7:17

©Dragon/Serpent: Satan
Revelations 12:9 compare to Genesis 3:1-5

©Babylon the Great/ the Prostitute: The world empire of false religions.
Revelations 17:5 compare to Hosea 1:2

©Lake of fire: death without resurrection.
Revelations 20:14 compare to Matthew 10:28

©The Sea: wicked and faithless miscreants.
Revelations 21:1 compare to Isaiah 57:20

But if taken literally someone will have a totally different picture yet the meaning will be completely lost!
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:33pm On Aug 28, 2023
Mysteriousworld:
So why do you think I see revelation literally, why did you assume I will for example see the beast as a real beast? Maybe having 7 heads Why??

To let you know I do, to an extent atleast, the bible talks of a beast with 7 heads, and the same revelation said the 7 heads represent 7 kingdoms that have ruled the world., he said 5 have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come, when he comes......

How many kingdoms ruled the world before rome?
Five (5).
1.Egypt, 2,Assyria, 3,babylon(iraq), 4,persia(iran), 5,Greece.
It says one is...
Which kingdom was ruling the world in the days of Jesus or John who wrote revelation?
Rome!
One is, "rome" the other has not yet come... USA Hmm...
I can learn from you too when it comes to prophecy, and you can learn from me also.
I love discussing prophecy with people who don't think they already know it all, but are open minded to the truth.

It's OK let me stop here. Proverbs 17:14

Do have a lovely day! smiley
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by Mysteriousworld: 1:33pm On Aug 28, 2023
lawani:

Give me one example of an evil person who escaped punishment. Not someone who died on death row

There are many in the bible, apart from this real life, there's even a parable of a rich man and lazarus.... don't stress me, they are all over history.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Ifa? by Mysteriousworld: 1:40pm On Aug 28, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

It's OK let me stop here. Proverbs 17:14

Do have a lovely day! smiley

So you had nothing to learn, I guess you know alot.
Alright, you too, have a good day.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Christians Say We Bless God When Someone Ask How Are You / I'll Believe In Evolution Theory Only If Someone Can Explain This To Me / Why Do I See Double Numbers Subconsciously!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.