Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,165 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand (37627 Views)

7 Jobs You Can Do Without A University Degree / How Nigerian Parents See Hardworking People Compared To Bloggers / 10 Male Jobs Nigerian Women Are Doing To Defy Stereotypes(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by SmathGate(m): 5:54pm On Aug 02, 2016
When Nigerian parent spends their money to send us to school, they assumes we are going to become one of the following – a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer, a banker or what have you.

Now, some professions have been added to the very short list. We now have people appreciating their children in other fields – geology, biotechnology and even entertainment – music, acting and football. After they heard Wizkid charges a million per show or that Mikel Obi’s salary per week is what they collect in a year? Why wouldn’t they agree? But still at that, there are a few jobs that not all Nigerian parents have come to admit. A lot of them have to do with the fact that they cannot brag about it to the friends or in most cases, cannot explain fully what you do.
“Kunbi is a doctor”, “Timi is a lawyer”
“My son? He works with..... sad sad........... Oya Bankole, tell your auntie what you say you do again”
Here are a few jobs Nigerian parents may not fully understand:

1. Blogger/Vloggers
Try explaining to the average Nigerian parent that you are a blogger and the reaction is one you will never forget. The ones that understand what it means will ask you how you successfully spent their money abroad and now all you do is carry make-up around their house and teach your “fans” to use it and the ones who do not will spend nights trying to figure how you sharing food preparation methods as a food blogger will bring money to the house.Image: Ora HQ

2. Developers
“So what do you do now Timi”
“I write codes and develop programs for companies”
What kind of programs really? What exactly is a program do?“I knew you shouldn’t have gone to that school. We should have invested the money instead of you to sit down all day and be pressing laptop”
“Are you sure it’s not 419 you’re doing?”

3. Photographers
“So you’ve decided what you want to do is carry a camera and be snapping people ehn?”
How will you make it? Is this what we sent you to school to do? How will you take care of us in our old age?

4. Social Media Managers/PR Executives
“So Nnanna explain exactly to your Uncle what you do for a living because I don’t understand clearly”
“Uncle, I work with social media. Facebook, Twitter and the likes”
Your dad and your uncle probably look at each other, sigh and try to understand how you work with Facebook – the same facebook they use to post about their rendezvous in the old boy’s association groupsImage: You

5. Models
Nigerian parents will never understand being a model too. Most especially about the ones from staunch Christian families
“So you want to go and show off your unclothedness to the whole world abi?
The ones that understand modeling will try to understand how that will make money over a long period of time.

6. DJ
No words. Nigerian parents will insult you for even thinking about it in the first place UNTILL THE MONEY STARTS FLOWING OF COURSE

7. Artist/Sculptor
Like make beautiful art pieces and have exhibitions. But the average Nigerian parent will say no to this.
“You better drop this hobby and pursue real life”[b][/b]

http://omgvoice.com/lifestyle/jobs-nigerian-parents-understand/

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by jaid23: 7:04pm On Aug 02, 2016
Very true. its high time our parents started seeing potentials in all these "not too popular" professions.

FTC btw.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by babyfaceafrica: 7:09pm On Aug 02, 2016
Hnmm

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by Opistorincos(m): 7:28pm On Aug 02, 2016
I can relate to all especially the blog ish

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by shorxynla(m): 8:25pm On Aug 02, 2016
I can relate to 1 and 2. Its about me.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by OgaSirAde(m): 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2016
This is true and funny grin most parents will never buy the idea at all until the fame and success.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by KillerBeauty(f): 9:34pm On Aug 02, 2016
Just imagine a girl who is a doctor bringing her boyfriend home for the first time and introducing him to her parents as a photographer, blogger or DJ.
Hmmm dem go just faint grin

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by kingofthejungle(m): 11:14am On Sep 11, 2016
after you done go school finish you go say na nairaland moderator u come be

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by iaamxavier(m): 5:17pm On Sep 11, 2016
kingofthejungle:
nairaland moderator

lalasticla
lol its lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by kingofthejungle(m): 6:52pm On Sep 11, 2016
iaamxavier:

lol its lalasticlala
thanks let him move it to the promise land
Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 11, 2016
What about footballer
Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by oluwasegun007(m): 8:28pm On Sep 11, 2016
Not the new generation parent.....

6 Likes

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by belonare: 8:29pm On Sep 11, 2016
Lol grin
Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by zeal22(m): 8:29pm On Sep 11, 2016
Hahahahah
Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by IMASTEX: 8:30pm On Sep 11, 2016
True
Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by Helkayklassic(m): 8:30pm On Sep 11, 2016
So true and funny... God bless our parents, they kuku want the best for us...The one my dad frown at most is DJ, he doesn't like it for anything. He will be like the job is for the lazy being.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by CaptEColeJnr: 8:30pm On Sep 11, 2016
Mama Lala: lalasticlala,why don't you go to work?
Lalasticlala:Mummy,I'm a moderator,on an online forum.
Mama Lala:Moderator kwanu! What are u moderating?Election Debate?
Lalasticlala: Mummy!!!! They pay me and I move threads to frontpage.
Mama Lala: what is frontapge? And why are u moving threads to front page.. Is front page a shop? Do you supply threads?
Lalasticlala: Mummy,biko kwanu! I do not supply threads... I move online topics to the homepage of an online forum.
Mama Lala: But I have never seen you carry suitcase and wearing suit to go to work... You are just in front of ur laptop all day.. Are u sure it's not 419 you're doing?
Lalasticlala: Mama!!!! Biko leave me... I've just seen a snake thread...

326 Likes 47 Shares

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by Singapore1(m): 8:30pm On Sep 11, 2016
NA MY OWN WORST PASS

people think na yahoo i dey do
the thing don tire me sef

you go explain and explain

6 Likes

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by elpiro: 8:32pm On Sep 11, 2016
true
Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by gift01: 8:32pm On Sep 11, 2016
Dancer
Online Legit bizmen
Scammers

1 Like

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by WINNERMENTALITY: 8:32pm On Sep 11, 2016
Imagine my Grandmother calling my Cousin an Ofeke(worthless) because she is dancer. She even said her father have spoiled her. Imagine a dancer that owns a dancing school abroad, work for many foreign music Artist and goes to shows from country to country....

I just say, make she show her, her account balance... Only that will solve all the complains and allow the old woman think straight.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by AreaFada2: 8:34pm On Sep 11, 2016
If u make money n do things with it, they will accept. Football & music were once like that.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by Opeade939(f): 8:35pm On Sep 11, 2016
So true Jare•••••
Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 11, 2016
Op you forgot
1.content writer
2. Digital marketer
3. Makeup artist
4. SEO expert
5. Freelancer undecided

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by cruterss: 8:37pm On Sep 11, 2016
hm
Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by Tjohnnay: 8:37pm On Sep 11, 2016
undecided.

Alabi..

5 Likes

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by pyxon(m): 8:38pm On Sep 11, 2016
lol
Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by xkenzlordy(m): 8:39pm On Sep 11, 2016
And some parents will be like "it is either you are a medical doctor or you pay your school fees yourself "

6 Likes

Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by Dammiesugar(f): 8:40pm On Sep 11, 2016
Mine is number 4, apart from parents some young people still don't really understand what Social Media Manager does
Re: 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand by bunmioguns(m): 8:40pm On Sep 11, 2016
[size=14pt]How about Data Reseller, they will be like.. . Eenh, Bunmioguns, you don dey do yahoo yahoo.. You go just sit down on top phone 24/7[/size]

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? / What Investment Can I Start Up With 500k As I Just Lost My Job / I Want To Quit My Banking Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.