Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN (24485 Views)

CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts / No Deposit For New Accounts: CBN Gives Approval / $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by FabulousAutos(m): 6:11am On Aug 03, 2016
Sounds like a good news to me. What do you think guys?

Cheques can now be paid into savings accounts – CBN

August 3, 2016

The Central Bank of Nigeria on Tuesday released four new guidelines for the banking industry, top of which was an approval for bank customers to make cheque deposits into their savings accounts.

Prior to this development, bank customers could only make cheque deposits into their current accounts.

The new guidelines were contained in a circular posted on the CBN website and signed by the Director, Banking and Payment System, Mr. Dipo Fatokun.

The circular, which was directed to banks and other financial institutions, was dated July 28, 2016.

Aside from this approval, the CBN also ordered banks and other financial institutions to remove fixed interest rate on credit cards.

The central bank directed the banks to henceforth begin to embed customers’ Bank Verification Numbers on their payment cards.

It also ordered the banks to discontinue actual address verification as a condition for account opening for customers with the BVN.

In approving cheque deposits into savings accounts, the apex bank limited the daily deposit to only N2m per customer in a day.

The CBN said the new guidelines were meant to strengthen the payment system and the banking sector.

The circular, with reference number BPS/DIR/GEN?CIR/03/005, read, “The Central Bank of Nigeria, in furtherance of its efforts at strengthening the Nigerian payment system, hereby issues the following directives: the removal of fixed interest on credit cards; and discontinuation of actual address verification in account openings for customers with the Bank Verification Number.

“Banks should begin to embed the BVN on all payment cards issued henceforth to facilitate off-line BVN verification and biometric-based customer authentication in such payment devices as the Automated Teller Machines, Point of Sale Terminal, kiosks etc.

“Savings account customers with the BVN should be allowed to deposit cheques not more than N2m in value into their savings account per, customer per day. Please, be guided and ensure strict compliance with the content of this circular.”

In another development, the CBN advised Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora to beware of the unwholesome activities of some unlicensed International Money Transfer Operators in the country.

It said in a statement by its Acting Director, Corporate Communications, Isaac Okoroafor, that the warning had become necessary because of the activities of some unregistered IMTOs, whose modes of operation were detrimental to the Nigerian economy.

Okoroafor stated, “All financial service providers in Nigeria, just as in other jurisdictions, are required to be duly licensed in order to protect both customers and the financial system as well as to ensure the credibility of financial transactions.

“For the avoidance of doubt, all licensed International Money Transfer Operators, in line with the CBN circular on the sale of foreign currency proceeds of July 22, 2016, are required to remit foreign currencies to their respective agent banks in Nigeria for disbursement in naira to the beneficiaries, while the foreign currency proceeds are to be sold to Bureaux De Change operators for onward retail to end users.

“The Central Bank of Nigeria will, therefore, not condone any attempt aimed at undermining the country’s foreign exchange regime.

“Accordingly, members of the public are advised to beware of the activities of such unregistered IMTOs for the greater economic good of Nigeria.”

http://punchng.com/cheques-can-now-paid-savings-accounts-cbn/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by SIMPLIFIED(m): 6:24am On Aug 03, 2016
Nice one.. first policy that CBN has taken in recent times that will benefit the common man.
Modified : don't know why all the fuss about ftc but it feels good in a way sha.. Wanna dedicate this to all NAME CHECKERS ASSOCIATION OF NAIRALAND, NDA boys, Spacebookers and host of others too numerous to mention

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by paschal47(m): 6:27am On Aug 03, 2016
CBN i love this. now I'll stop looking for current account holders.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Nobody: 6:28am On Aug 03, 2016
Long overdue. Now I can pay my dividend warrants easily. Good 1

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Bugatie(m): 6:31am On Aug 03, 2016
Very nice development, but why limit it to 2m.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by lecturerdabo(m): 6:31am On Aug 03, 2016
This is still half truth cos we ve not been told the cost per 1k cheque deposited into savings account!

With this regime, nothing is free of secret/open taxation!!

12 Likes

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by divinehand2003(m): 6:33am On Aug 03, 2016
Good move dear CBN.

1 Like

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Edipee(m): 6:49am On Aug 03, 2016
It's one thing to release policy guidelines and another to monitor and ensure strict compliance. CBN should step up their game as some deposit banks see themselves as demigods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 03, 2016
Ok
Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by ladyF(f): 6:58am On Aug 03, 2016
Hmmm...this one no consign me. Money no even dey to pay into account. Baba God, no forget me o, this 500 nera account balance must end soon angry

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by herzern(m): 6:58am On Aug 03, 2016
Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by bastien: 6:59am On Aug 03, 2016
Good
Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by emmabest2000(m): 7:00am On Aug 03, 2016
Change....

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by jazinogold(m): 7:00am On Aug 03, 2016
hmm
Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by anabellabul(f): 7:00am On Aug 03, 2016
Yuuiippppeeee!!!! My boo won't be seeing my cheques again and asking me mumu kwesions. I've always used his current account to deposit my cheques, then he'll transfer later to mine (after his wahala grin cheesy)

2 Likes

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by ChappyChase: 7:00am On Aug 03, 2016
Watin I wan use ham do?
Egbon give me cash....

1 Like

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by murphyibiam15(m): 7:01am On Aug 03, 2016
the only visible achievement of emefiele that i can relate to
kudos

3 Likes

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 03, 2016
Is this suppose to be a good news

1 Like

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 03, 2016
FabulousAutos:
Sounds like a good news to me. What do you think guys?

http://punchng.com/cheques-can-now-paid-savings-accounts-cbn/
That's good news.
Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by mach7(m): 7:04am On Aug 03, 2016
This is a really good policy that will strengthen the banking sector.
Irrespective of sentiments, Godwin Emefiele is working and he is a good choice at the head of CBN.
I sincerely believe that this current hardship is a phase. All is well!
Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Feranchek(m): 7:05am On Aug 03, 2016
Ion know, buh I've been paying cheques into my Zenith savings account for a while now..... can someone explain what that really is?

4 Likes

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Bgorgeous: 7:06am On Aug 03, 2016
CBN ooooo l am dancing azonto right now
Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by BE811APP: 7:06am On Aug 03, 2016
Good development!!!

No discrimination grin

1 Like

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Nobody: 7:06am On Aug 03, 2016
This is the kind of policy and regulation we need. Thumbs up on this one.
Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by showreals(m): 7:08am On Aug 03, 2016
Confusion everywhere

4 Likes

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Pavore9: 7:10am On Aug 03, 2016
"In another development, the CBN advised Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora to beware of the unwholesome activities of some unlicensed International Money Transfer Operators in the country"......why not list their names!

3 Likes

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by mach7(m): 7:10am On Aug 03, 2016
showreals:
Confusion everywhere
where is the confusion? Give credit when due.

2 Likes

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 03, 2016
Money wey no dey to chop, na im we wan save? Make una fix the economy fes, you dey tell us long story. Mtschew

1 Like

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by policy12: 7:11am On Aug 03, 2016
No one will hail Buhari for this o..

4 Likes

Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by worlexy(m): 7:13am On Aug 03, 2016
Good one
Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by spako4(m): 7:15am On Aug 03, 2016
Good development
Re: Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN by oairhunmwunde: 7:18am On Aug 03, 2016
What is the essence of current account, if cheque can be paid into savings account. Yet it attract savings interest of 2% p.a. Meanwhile there are still some charges like Monthly maintaince charge on current account.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ayodeji Adewunmi Quits As The CEO Of Jobberman / Dangote Is World's 43rd Richest Man - Forbes / Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.