Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,691 members, 7,955,611 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:49 AM

Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests (24844 Views)

‘ghosts’ Set Shops Ablaze In Anambra Over High Cost Of Goods (photo) / People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) / Abuja Traders Using Cars As Shops Because Of High Cost Of Rent (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by soloqy: 3:34am On Sep 10, 2010
Insist on payment of $300,000

The Ghanaian authorities yesterday continued their hatred for Nigerians and their businesses by closing their shops and arresting some of them. In the past two years, businesses owned by Nigerians in Ghana have been shut severally, while the owners were arrested and received verbal threats of attack.

Beside petty traders, big time businesses owned by Nigerians, including GSM operator Globacom Limited, have been harassed by government agents. In particular, Globacom was denied the opportunity of erecting its masts in major cities of Ghana earlier in the year. Yesterday, some shops belonging to Nigerian traders based in Ghana, as was done in April and May this year, were closed down by a special task force set up to monitor Nigerians’ compliance with the Ghana Investment Promotion Council’s (GIPC’s) investment law.

Here is the link : http://businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13399:ghanaian-authorities-shut-nigerian-shops-make-arrests&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by soloqy: 3:36am On Sep 10, 2010
From movie actors and producers to big corporations like GLO and our Banks, now they have extended to petty traders and small business owners.

I think we should hit back HARD. angry
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Nobody: 3:41am On Sep 10, 2010
soloqy:

From movie actors and producers to big corporations like GLO and our Banks, now they have extended to petty traders and small business owners.

I think we should hit back HARD. angry

The only reason this continues is because there is no good standing diplomacy between our government. What has our officials done?

People are fending for themselves, what legal action has been taken to deal with this injustice?. When a lamb strays from its mother, a wolf is bond to find it.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by bibiking1(m): 3:45am On Sep 10, 2010
shame! shame!! shame!!!
So much for Big Brother!

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by soloqy: 3:55am On Sep 10, 2010
Anything happening to any citizen anywhere , should be of utmost concern to our government. They cant just sit idly and watch this happen. I can understand if its some drug peddlers somewhere in hilsbrow SA who are being rightfully arrested but when its verified that they are innocent Nigerians legally trying to make a living, our government must be responsive to this.

Please who amongst us knows how to right petitions so that it can be posted on President Goodluck's page on Facebook? I dont have the temperament for it and somewhere in the middle of the whole thing, I may go off telling him and everyone off.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Nobody: 4:06am On Sep 10, 2010
soloqy:

Anything happening to any citizen anywhere , should be of utmost concern to our government. They cant just sit idly and watch this happen. I can understand if its some drug peddlers somewhere in hilsbrow SA who are being rightfully arrested but when its verified that they are innocent Nigerians legally trying to make a living, our government must be responsive to this.

Please who amongst us knows how to right petitions so that it can be posted on President Goodluck's page on Facebook? I dont have the temperament for it and somewhere in the middle of the whole thing, I may go off telling him and everyone off.
If president J wants to show Nigerians that he cares about us during this trivial times of election, instead of sucking on tribal eggs, he needs to fly his azz to Ghana and beat some sense into them.

Anywaz, Nigerians you hear, Ghana aint the place as of right now.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by chyz(m): 4:19am On Sep 10, 2010
We are these people so jealous.This is the same exact reason why we kicked them out of our country in the first place.I remember one of my female friends from Togo said that the guys their are even mad at nigerian men becuz they say we are always taking the women. grin
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by OAM4J: 4:39am On Sep 10, 2010
bibiking1:

shame! shame!! shame!!!
So much for Big Brother!

Shame indeed!
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Nobody: 4:48am On Sep 10, 2010
they are also chasing Niger prostitutes away.if we close that border for 1week they will beg us
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by princekevo(m): 7:22am On Sep 10, 2010
Nigeria is the most useless and foolish Country i have seen on earth.
There is a war in Liberia, our stupid government will be fast enough to send 20,000 soldiers to die there, in Ivory Coast, oh!!! jst the next day Nigerian troops has already arrived, Coup in Togo Nigeria will be first to send mediators under ECOWAS , War in Sudan we will be the first to send troops under UN.
Crime against Innocent Nigerian in Liberia, our government is no where to be find, killing of Innocent Nigerians in South Africa, our government keeps silent over it. Injustice against Nigerians within our Ecowas Neighbouring country as Ghana of all people. Nigeria suddenly became less Influential that Ecowas has kept quite over it. What is it called? FOOLISHNESS.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by soloqy: 7:46am On Sep 10, 2010
I feel your pain princekevo
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Nobody: 8:06am On Sep 10, 2010
• Insist on payment of $300,000

John Attah, president, Ghana

The Ghanaian authorities yesterday continued their hatred for Nigerians and their businesses by closing their shops and arresting some of them. In the past two years, businesses owned by Nigerians in Ghana have been shut severally, while the owners were arrested and received verbal threats of attack.

Beside petty traders, big time businesses owned by Nigerians, including GSM operator Globacom Limited, have been harassed by government agents. In particular, Globacom was denied the opportunity of erecting its masts in major cities of Ghana earlier in the year. Yesterday, some shops belonging to Nigerian traders based in Ghana, as was done in April and May this year, were closed down by a special task force set up to monitor Nigerians’ compliance with the Ghana Investment Promotion Council’s (GIPC’s) investment law.

This development contradicts the assurances given by Ghana’s minister of trade and industry, Hanna S. Tetteh that Nigerian businesses were not under any threats. “Now as far as businesses between Ghana and Nigeria are concerned, again from our point of view, we do not have a problem. The issue has been a misrepresentation of the legal position as it stands with regards to business. Our position is that petty trading – and by this I mean trading done in a kiosk, trading done in a market, is something which, by Ghanaian law, is reserved for Ghanaians”. The mid-day raid on the shops took place simultaneously in Accra, Kumasi, Takoradi and Tamale, and hundreds of Nigerians were also arrested.

Speaking to BusinessDay on telephone yesterday, Jasper Emenike, President of the Nigerian Traders’ Association in Ghana, confirmed the raid as well as the arrests. “As I speak to you now (2.45 p.m. Ghana time), shops of our members are being locked up simultaneously in Accra, Kumasi, Takoradi, and Tamale,” Jasper told BusinessDay.

“Even some of our members have been arrested and taken away by the task force for undisclosed reasons. They refused to tell us why they were taking them away,” Jasper further said. He could not, however, tell the number of persons arrested because of the commotion stirred up by the raid which has been on-going since 2007. Apparently, this recent raid is a continuation by a special task force set up by the government to ensure that the new GIPC investment law which stipulates $300,000 is complied with.

George Aboagye, chief executive officer of the GIPC has, on several occasions, said that according to GIPC Act, petty trading, hawking or selling from kiosks at any place is wholly reserved for Ghanaians but that the law does not bar non-Ghanaians from operating in the trading sector whether wholesaling or retailing “provided they make the initial equity capital investment in cash or goods of at least $300,000.” Emenike had confirmed that some of his colleagues had come together to put up the money, but are waiting to see how the on-going discussions between the Nigerian and Ghanaian government would turn out before reaching a decision on which path to tow, because the stipulated $300,000 is quite on the high side for a petty trader to afford.

Talks have been on-going between the two governments for more than a year but no solution has been arrived at and traders are no longer happy with the indefinite nature of the talks. Efforts made to confirm the whereabouts of the arrested Nigerian traders produced no result as at the time of going to press. Head of public affairs, Ghana Immigration Service, Pam Deti, with whom BusinessDay spoke on phone, said that they were not aware of any such raid and if any arrests was made.

“We are not aware of any such raid taking place nor have I been informed of any arrests. The thing is that the task force acts independently and does not have to inform us of their actions. Since the police are involved, perhaps you could find out from them whether there have been any arrests,” Deti had advised.

The police public relations department could not be reached. The task force formed to ensure the compliance of foreigners with the GIPC Investment Law is composed of members of the GIPC, Ghana Immigration Service, Customs and Excise Preventive Service, the Police Service and members of Ghana Union of Traders Associations. They carry out periodic raids in markets across the country.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 10, 2010
ghanians may have agenda against nigerians, but they are enforcing their laws

we need laws like this in nigeria as well. too mnay busines ventures are all comers affairs, which is why this nation is flooded with fake goods, drugs, etc

two weeks ago, i was rear ended in a go slow by a trailer.

the boys had no money to pay me, and neither did their oga. the truck should have been on the scrap heap, worn out tires, obviously over 20 years old, not roadworthy by any measure.

i demanded the mans vehicle papers as a surety. on getting to his place, in a slu in ebutte metta, and takig a look round his living room, i decided to forget the money and fix the car myself - the man was STRUGGLING and he had three kids.

but i was really annoyed at the lack of regulation - this man clearly had no business running a freight business, petty or otherwise , since he did not have the resources to run it. it was one long story of a beg a beg. . .

the point to my long story is that nigerians, from  country in which rules are not enforced or bypassed, get upset in places where rules are enforced.

the rules are in place for a reason

1) to protect local traders
2) to ensure not any tom , harry will fall in and start flooding he market with genuine 'england' 'japan' products

if our gov was serious, they would do the same to chinese traders in nigeria, this country has been flooded with rubbish goods that are probably illegal in china because of quality compromises

unfortuantely for us, Ghanaians don't do business in naija, so there's no applicable trade war repercussion
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 10, 2010
princekevo:

There is a war in Liberia, our silly government will be fast enough to send 20,000 soldiers to die there, in Ivory Coast, oh!!! jst the next day Nigerian troops has already arrived, Coup in Togo Nigeria will be first to send mediators under ECOWAS , War in Sudan we will be the first to send troops under UN.
Crime against Innocent Nigerian in Liberia, our government is no where to be find, killing of Innocent Nigerians in South Africa, our government keeps silent over it. Injustice against Nigerians within our Ecowas Neighbouring country as Ghana of all people. Nigeria suddenly became less Influential that Ecowas has kept quite over it. What is it called? FOOLISHNESS.

I also have the same opinion like you.It's time we stopped this big brother bullshiot.there are many Ghanaians and other nationalities in nigeria without entry permit and nobody harasses them.Has anybody heard of nigeria government deporting any foreigner after the ghana must go saga ?
If the ghanaian authority doesn't want Nigerians in their country,they should send them home cuz this siddon look approach by nigerian government is really frustrating.nonsense !!!
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by agor1974: 11:45am On Sep 10, 2010
ghana did it first in the 70s b/4 nigeria sent packing in the 80s
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by philip0906(m): 12:04pm On Sep 10, 2010
princekevo:

There is a war in Liberia, our silly government will be fast enough to send 20,000 soldiers to die there, in Ivory Coast, oh!!! jst the next day Nigerian troops has already arrived, Coup in Togo Nigeria will be first to send mediators under ECOWAS , War in Sudan we will be the first to send troops under UN.

One of d most sensible comments I have read on nairaland. . .I just pity my country Nigeria embarassed embarassed
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Dede1(m): 12:44pm On Sep 10, 2010
When a joker is the leader of bunch of fools, as in the case of Nigeria and its leadership, does it matter if Nigerian citizens are molested and harassed by the government operatives in Ghana or elsewhere?
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by slap1(m): 12:55pm On Sep 10, 2010
This is only one side to the story. If our brothers are not complying with the Ghanaian laws they should face the punishment. But if it is confirmed that they're being victimized for nothing, then shame on our government and woe to their peace-keeping crap!
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by redsun(m): 1:30pm On Sep 10, 2010
Everyday nigerians are like somalians,sheep without shepherds.There is no legimate system in nigeria,what goes on there is a case winners takes all,the ruthless political and business elite thieves like obasanjo,dangote,danjuma,otedola,kalu,adanuga,igbinedions and co against the vulnerable and gullible masses.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Africason(m): 3:08pm On Sep 10, 2010
Very sad indeed, but why is this story being made to be like the Ghanaian authorities are victimisingd the Nigerians? Look, that law was inacted to sometime ago to check all foreign entities and not Nigerians alone!

Its for any biz foreign including that of Liberians, Togolese, Nigerians, Indians and all all things foreign. . . Please lets stop this bull crap as if they are targeting Nigerians businesses alone. . .
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by hackney(m): 4:01pm On Sep 10, 2010
Does nigeria even have an equivalent of Ghana Investment Promotion Council?

What the bloated politicians are concerned about is re-election.
In my opinion,functionally speaking we dont have a government because other than dodgy contracts and
senators squabbling for pay rise they are of no other use to anybody.

Ghana can eject everything Nigeria in ghana and nothing will happen.
All the signs that indicate a bloody revolution as solution are all clear for everybody to see.

Why cant Nigeria slaughter all the old politicians like rawlings did for Ghana? ? ?
Every term they rear their viper heads and nigeria is still there like a mal-nourished dustbin feeder taking rubbish.
shame on Nigeria.
All we know is how to infest other countries like rats because funds to lift the country have been stolen.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by playmode(m): 4:29pm On Sep 10, 2010
hackney:

Does nigeria even have an equivalent of Ghana Investment Promotion Council?

What the bloated politicians are concerned about is re-election.
In my opinion,functionally speaking we dont have a government because other than dodgy contracts and
senators squabbling for pay rise they are of no other use to anybody.

Ghana can eject everything Nigeria in ghana and nothing will happen.
All the signs that indicate a bloody revolution as solution are all clear for everybody to see.

Why cant Nigeria slaughter all the old politicians like rawlings did for Ghana? ? ?
Every term they rear their viper heads and nigeria is still there like a mal-nourished dustbin feeder taking rubbish.
shame on Nigeria.
All we know is how to infest other countries like rats because funds to lift the country have been stolen.

^^^ Chai bros u wicked o. grin
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by dejiariyo1: 4:34pm On Sep 10, 2010
PPle wonder why i dont really like the ghanians but they act like they not even African.
My mum was born in Ghana in the 60s they were sent packing by the ghanians and they all took my grandma houses and bussiness, reason cos Nigerians were being successful than them but the ghanians wont talk about them, they only talk about the Ghana must go retaliation by the Nigerians.
I used to have a ghanian Gf here in london but her dad said we wont get married jsut cos because Nigerians send ghanians away from Nigeria but whenever i mentioned the fact that ghanian did it first, he will get mad at me.
I went to the ghana in the park this year and i am appalled by the abuse that were given to Nigerians by the silly ghanians but 90% of songs played in ghana in the park are Nigerian Music.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by princekevo(m): 5:21pm On Sep 10, 2010
Africason:

Very sad indeed, but why is this story being made to be like the Ghanaian authorities are victimisingd the Nigerians? Look, that law was inacted to sometime ago to check all foreign entities and not Nigerians alone!

Its for any biz foreign including that of Liberians, Togolese, Nigerians, Indians and all all things foreign. . . Please lets stop this bull crap as if they are targeting Nigerians businesses alone. . .
My Fren go read the terms and agreement of ECOWAS which Ghana was signatory to and a member, before you come here to spew rubbish. Almost all the country in the world needs visa to Nigeria except ECOWAS member states. How would ECOWAS member nations feel when they grant us free visas to their country and we rule them together under the same visa requirement with EU, American, and Asian nationals?
Ghana nationals are enjoying the free trade agreement in other ECOWAS Member nations, then in return ruling the same member nations together with other foreigner nationals in their new trade policy. Does that make any sense to you? If Ghana is ruling us together with other foreign nationals they should withdraw their membership from Ecowas lets see how they can survive alone within the ECOWAS region.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by yeswecan(m): 6:01pm On Sep 10, 2010
In this era where and when the world is working in blocks to foster trade agreements Ghana goes the opposite. Under the ECOWAS accord there ought to be freedom of people and goods within the shores of west Africa without curb. This will definitely affect Ghana more than it will affect Nigerians; and Africa even more. They are trying to make their environment less competitive so Ghanaians can be empowered, that is good in theory but not so good practically. You do not have to take Mr. Adam down to elevate Mr. Moses. If Mr. Moses is lazy, you teach him to be hardworking because if you eliminate Mr Adam, Mr. Moses becomes more indolent but no Adam to prove that.

Ghanaians should have learnt from hardworking Nigerians in their shores and compete with them. If they cannot compete with them, it means they have a problem and cannot succeed globally. This decision is a mistake on the part of President John Attah, he should have concealed his hatred for Nigerians and look at the bright side. Africans are confused on how to go about growth and compete with Asia or Europe, this cannot be done until there is an inside Market which will be possible in a free trade environment.

As for Nigerians, we have a Market base of 150 million. I want to use this platform to appeal to all Nigerians affected by this try out to come home and invest here. Do not be afraid you will make it; I do not see what you can do in Ghana that you cannot do here.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Africason(m): 12:41am On Sep 11, 2010
princekevo:

My Fren go read the terms and agreement of ECOWAS which Ghana was signatory to and a member, before you come here to spew rubbish. Almost all the country in the world needs visa to Nigeria except ECOWAS member states. How would ECOWAS member nations feel when they grant us free visas to their country and we rule them together under the same visa requirement with EU, American, and Asian nationals?
Ghana nationals are enjoying the free trade agreement in other ECOWAS Member nations, then in return ruling the same member nations together with other foreigner nationals in their new trade policy. Does that make any sense to you? If Ghana is ruling us together with other foreign nationals they should withdraw their membership from Ecowas lets see how they can survive alone within the ECOWAS region.

Dude, get off your high horses and reason clearly! Do you think the Ghanaians give a hoot about the ECOWAS treaty? In anyway, this is called protectionism if you don't know. . . They are doing it to every other national regardless of you being an ECOWAS member state or not. I believe they are asking for any individual or group of individuals wanting to do business in Ghana to have like $300,000 capital to qualify.

Folks can pull their resources together and reach that sum quite easily. . .
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by jason12345: 1:46am On Sep 11, 2010
princekevo:

ah ah man u took the word out of my mouth
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by londoner: 2:07am On Sep 11, 2010
@Africason, you say this applies to all foreign owned business including Togo, Liberian etc. Oh really? Please provide me with the links to the stories of the same described above happening to all those foreigners in Ghana, or alternatively where they have all since paid $300,000. You know as well as I do that the law is being used to target Nigerians.

Just like in the Uk, police have stop and search laws which "technically" apply to all, but in PRACTICE they are used to discriminate against young Black boys. I do think even so, they have a right to enforce their law, and that Nigerians should divest their money from Ghana as soon as possible.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by princekevo(m): 7:51am On Sep 11, 2010
Africason:

Dude, get off your high horses and reason clearly! Do you think the Ghanaians give a hoot about the ECOWAS treaty? In anyway, this is called protectionism if you don't know. . . They are doing it to every other national regardless of you being an ECOWAS member state or not. I believe they are asking for any individual or group of individuals wanting to do business in Ghana to have like $300,000 capital to qualify.

Folks can pull their resources together and reach that sum quite easily. . .
For you to say Ghana give no hoot abt the Ecowas Treaty is like rulling out the benefits of regional organisations as ECOWAS which is obtained in every part of the world. If Ghana can not respect that agreement, they should be sanctioned from ECOWAS. When that happens, Ghana will then know 'no man is Island'.

I believe they are asking for any individual or group of individuals wanting to do business in Ghana to have like $300,000 capital to qualify.

Was such requirement supposed to include ECOWAS members? I asked you a question which you failed to answer. What happens to the free visas giving to Ghana by all Ecowas memeber states, what happens to Ghanians having shops, in Togo, cotouno, Nigeria etc without restriction? Will they also be required to produce $300,000 before registering such business, or do you think these countries has no minimum requirements for other nationals other ecowas member?
You mean to tell me that a Togolese or Nigerian who want to open a small shop for selling bags must produce $300,000 before such business can be registered, while Ghanaian can do same in other ECOWAS nation without any restriction. Who is fulling who?
Jst that we have a useless governement that does not care for its citizens. if not Nigeria should influnce the sanction of Ghana from ECOWAS, lets see how that goes with them.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Africason(m): 10:18am On Sep 11, 2010
londoner:

@Africason, you say this applies to all foreign owned business including Togo, Liberian etc. Oh really? Please provide me with the links to the stories of the same described above happening to all those foreigners in Ghana, or alternatively where they have all since paid $300,000. You know as well as I do that the law is being used to target Nigerians.

Just like in the Uk, police have stop and search laws which "technically" apply to all, but in PRACTICE they are used to discriminate against young Black boys. I do think even so, they have a right to enforce their law, and that Nigerians should divest their money from Ghana as soon as possible.

1. Target Nigerians? Really?! Why is everything about Nigeria? huh? The other nationals have got nothing to report because they come with the required capital to set up their businesses unlike many of these my Nigerian folks who who are doing petty trading! I read somewhere the Ghanaian minister of trade advising those who believe would get the required amount to pull their resources together, reach that amount and start something.

They already have enough petty trader in Ghana and thus don't want the country to be infested with more of these petty trading stuff! If you want to do business in Ghana, then get serious and come with that much capital or 'on ya bike mate'! Simple as that! Nigeria can also enforce such laws if they want. They've got legitimate Nigerian businesses in Ghana, which have not been touched because they've met the laws.

And oh, about the search and stop analogy you made. . . which ethnic minority group are noted for social vices? Go read the statistics how many blacks have been stabbed by blacks in the 6 years and you'll get the picture.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by Africason(m): 11:05am On Sep 11, 2010
princekevo:

For you to say Ghana give no hoot abt the Ecowas Treaty is like rulling out the benefits of regional organisations as ECOWAS which is obtained in every part of the world. If Ghana can not respect that agreement, they should be sanctioned from ECOWAS. When that happens, Ghana will then know 'no man is Island'.

Was such requirement supposed to include ECOWAS members? I asked you a question which you failed to answer. What happens to the free visas giving to Ghana by all Ecowas memeber states, what happens to Ghanians having shops, in Togo, cotouno, Nigeria etc without restriction? Will they also be required to produce $300,000 before registering such business, or do you think these countries has no minimum requirements for other nationals other ecowas member?
You mean to tell me that a Togolese or Nigerian who want to open a small shop for selling bags must produce $300,000 before such business can be registered, while Ghanaian can do same in other ECOWAS nation without any restriction. Who is fulling who?
Jst that we have a useless governement that does not care for its citizens. if not Nigeria should influnce the sanction of Ghana from ECOWAS, lets see how that goes with them.

What question did you ask again? Oh yes, that restriction is supossed to include all foreigners including national of the ECOWAS member states. Well, Togo, Nigeria and for that matter, any country can also tighten their trade restrictions to reflect that of Ghana's.

Infact, the writer of this article/story should be ashamed of himself/herself for making this story come out as baise against Nigerians alone. Majority of Nigerians including this writer needs to pull their heads out of the sand and realise everything is not about them.
Re: Ghanaian Authorities Shut Nigerian Shops, Make Arrests by monkeyleg: 11:11am On Sep 11, 2010
This can only happen when the Government of a country fails to look after her people. Nigeria is notoriously bad at that, if you are a nigerians outside nigeria, just know that you are on your own. Never expect help from the Nigerians Government. Who knows they might decide to extend it to innocent students in thier schools.

Nigerians should seriously think of leaving the country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

AMCON Takes Over Festus Fadeyi's Pan Ocean Assets Over N240b Debt / Panama Papers: Wale Tinubu Operated 12 Shell Companies In Tax Havens / Domiciliary A/C Opening Requirements & Steps For Top 5 Nigerian Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.