Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,594 members, 7,823,580 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language (4371 Views)

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing / 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / Three Friends And Their Careers: The Grammatical Errors At Back Of A Story Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 12:00pm On Feb 04, 2017
We all know that English Language is not our mother tongue but that is not an excuse for us to keep committing the same error all the time. Let's check them out.

1. 'I'm','I am','Am'

This one is just too rampant. There is a clear difference between the three but most people tend to write 'I'm' down the way they pronounce it. 'I'm' is the shortened form of 'I am'.

Am fine -Wrong
I'm fine or I am fine -Correct

2. Its and It's

'Its' is a possessive pronoun used for objects and animals while 'It's' is the shortened form of 'It is'. They are not in any way related

Its raining -wrong
It is raining -correct
Its tail -correct

3. Your and You're

This is actually simple but I guess most people want to form Americana so they tend to use 'Your' often. 'Your is a pronoun' while 'You're simply means You are'

I want to know when your coming -wrong
I want to know when you are coming -correct

4. There and Their

I have seen this many times especially in writing but we can change it. 'There' is used to refer to a place. On the contrary,'their' is a possessive pronoun. So,what is the relationship?

Is it there own? -wrong
Is it their own? -correct

5. Lose and Loose

Some people count this as insignificant but it is.
'Lose' is used in an aspect of loss or damage while 'loose' is to be free.

Loose your belt so that you can have a breathing space -correct

These are just the few out of the numerous ones that we have but we have to go one step at a time. If we all improve on this then we have moved a step forward

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by nightingalee: 12:02pm On Feb 04, 2017
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2017
Are you saying "Am i wrong" is not a correct sentence? You guys newly discovered I'm should be taught well.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by brandonobi(m): 12:45pm On Feb 04, 2017
I only notice (am) in kids, (its) can only be noticed when it's written bcus its and it's sound alike, the same goes with your and you're
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by brandonobi(m): 12:47pm On Feb 04, 2017
the sentence people always get wrong without knowing is, clap for him/her instead of clap him/her
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by DesChyko: 1:09pm On Feb 04, 2017
SergeyMavrodi:
Are you saying "Am i wrong" is not a correct sentence? You guys newly discovered I'm should be taught well.

'Am I wrong' is actually not correct until you include the '?' in written grammar.
But he is talking about declaration, not an interrogation.

The its and it's is quite a bother.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 04, 2017
DesChyko:

'Am I wrong' is actually not correct until you include the '?' in written grammar.
But he is talking about declaration, not an interrogation.

The its and it's is quite a bother.
Yeah, that's true. But what i am trying to point out is that some people still use I'm when interrogating. For example "I'm I good to go?" It's not correct and that's what I'm trying to point out.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 1:50pm On Feb 04, 2017
SergeyMavrodi:
Point of correction sir,it isn't 'newly discovered'
Besides,it was based on declaration and not interrogation.
"Am i wrong" is not a correct sentence
It should be "Am I wrong?",then when writing,the personal pronoun 'I' should be written in capital letter irrespective of the position in the sentence.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 1:58pm On Feb 04, 2017
brandonobi:
I only notice (am) in kids, (its) can only be noticed when it's written bcus its and it's sound alike, the same goes with your and you're
That's probably why it is confusing
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 2:00pm On Feb 04, 2017
brandonobi:
the sentence people always get wrong without knowing is, clap for him/her instead of clap him/her
I've had this on my research list for some time now but I haven't got a satisfactory answer so for I think I'll stick with 'clap for him'
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by brandonobi(m): 3:03pm On Feb 04, 2017
Azeequeen:

I've had this on my research list for some time now but I haven't got a satisfactory answer so for I think I'll stick with 'clap for him'
clap for him is similar to saying congratulate for him instd congratulate him or praise for God instd of praise God etc.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 5:32pm On Feb 04, 2017
brandonobi:
clap for him is similar to saying congratulate for him instd congratulate him or praise for God instd of praise God etc.
But I think there should be an exception
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by a0if(m): 6:23pm On Feb 04, 2017
Azeequeen:

But I think there should be an exception
There is always an exception in english language.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 8:46pm On Feb 04, 2017
a0if:
There is always an exception in english language.
Smiles...It's like that
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Nobody: 9:08pm On Feb 04, 2017
so true. there and their is really common here.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by BodePolScience: 10:56pm On Feb 04, 2017
Azeequeen:

no textbook or English authority has ever use clap him, so it's still not acceptable.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 7:58am On Feb 05, 2017
skillful01:
so true. there and their is really common here.
You mean Nairaland?
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 7:59am On Feb 05, 2017
BodePolScience:
no textbook or English authority has ever use clap him, so it's still not acceptable.
That's it
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 05, 2017
Azeequeen:
You mean Nairaland?
YES
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by snowden9(m): 9:13am On Feb 05, 2017
Say no more folks. The grammarian of Nairaland is here. cool
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Nobody: 9:54am On Feb 05, 2017
"Revise" and "cut your hand"

It is very wrong. The correct usage should be

"Reverse your car" not "revise your car" or "cut your hand to that side"
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by cooncudee(m): 11:06am On Feb 05, 2017
brandonobi:
clap is different from congratulate/praise in that it is an action verb, you perform the 'clapping' through action, while you express congratulation/praise through speech/orally, thats why clap (and other verbs that takes this form) take for while congratulate doesn't.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by segzy17: 11:25am On Feb 05, 2017
Informative,but i expect something new
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by brandonobi(m): 11:29am On Feb 05, 2017
cooncudee:
clap is different from congratulate/praise in that it is an action verb, you perform the 'clapping' through action, while you express congratulation/praise through speech/orally, thats why clap (and other verbs that takes this form) take for while congratulate doesn't.
still doesn't mean that clap for him is right, u can also Google it.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by cooncudee(m): 11:47am On Feb 05, 2017
brandonobi:
still doesn't mean that clap for him is right, u can also Google it.
give reasons that'll convince me and i'll believe you. I'll rather trust my brain than google
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by brandonobi(m): 12:24pm On Feb 05, 2017
cooncudee:
give reasons that'll convince me and i'll believe you. I'll rather trust my brain than google
from the dictionary u would notice that clap can be used as a noun and a verb, in (clap for him/clap him) it is clearly used as a verb, so clap playing a role of a verb similar to carry drop follow etc. clap also can be used in place of applaud.
when your friend wins a lottery you....
a- you applaud for him.
b- you applaud him.
other examples of words used as verbs include. thank him, praise him, respect him. in the ones the words are pointed at the person in question. now when u say something like, pray for him or speak for him also right for him, ure doing it on behalf of the person( he can't do it, so do it FOR him). adding for to clap means clapping on behalf...which means he cannot congratulate someone so use ur hands and clap on behalf of him, which makes no sense.
by clapping ure not doing something for someone but at someone so u clap them not clap for them as if ure helping them with clapping.
PLUS- Nigerians didn't invent English language, so when the people who did say it is like this then that is how it is, it is hard to change from something I've used all ur life, but it doesn't change the fact that we r wrong!!!
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 1:38pm On Feb 05, 2017
Tazmode:
"Revise" and "cut your hand"

It is very wrong. The correct usage should be

"Reverse your car" not "revise your car" or "cut your hand to that side"

Thanks for this info sir
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 1:40pm On Feb 05, 2017
cooncudee:

Exactly
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 1:43pm On Feb 05, 2017
@Mr Bradonobi Thanks for that wonderful piece
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by Azeequeen(f): 1:44pm On Feb 05, 2017
snowden9:
Say no more folks. The grammarian of Nairaland is here. cool
Bring it on,bro
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by cooncudee(m): 1:49pm On Feb 05, 2017
brandonobi:
from the dictionary u would notice that clap can be used as a noun and a verb, in (clap for him/clap him) it is clearly used as a verb, so clap playing a role of a verb similar to carry drop follow etc. clap also can be used in place of applaud.
when your friend wins a lottery you....
a- you applaud for him.
b- you applaud him.
other examples of words used as verbs include. thank him, praise him, respect him. in the ones the words are pointed at the person in question. now when u say something like, pray for him or speak for him also right for him, ure doing it on behalf of the person( he can't do it, so do it FOR him). adding for to clap means clapping on behalf...which means he cannot congratulate someone so use ur hands and clap on behalf of him, which makes no sense.
by clapping ure not doing something for someone but at someone so u clap them not clap for them as if ure helping them with clapping.
PLUS- Nigerians didn't invent English language, so when the people who did say it is like this then that is how it is, it is hard to change from something I've used all ur life, but it doesn't change the fact that we r wrong!!!
i don't agree with that. 'for' in the statement 'clap for him' indicates who is recieving the action. Replace 'clap' with 'put your hands together' in that statement. One the other hand, I think 'clap him' is a PHRASE, which begs the question 'where?'

And you're not clapping at someone, the same way u aren't dancing at someone.

The users of a language define it. Not its inventors. That's why Americans have their own english. There will also, always be revision to languages. Meanings and uses of words change periodically. So, if Nigerians adopt it and it's used by the majority, it ceases to be wrong regardless of what the englishman thinks of it.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language by brandonobi(m): 2:02pm On Feb 05, 2017
cooncudee:
i don't agree with that. 'for' in the statement 'clap for him' indicates who is recieving the action. Replace 'clap' with 'put your hands together' in that statement. One the other hand, I think 'clap him' is a PHRASE, which begs the question 'where?'

And you're not clapping at someone, the same way u aren't dancing at someone.

The users of a language define it. Not its inventors. That's why Americans have their own english. There will also, always be revision to languages. Meanings and uses of words change periodically. So, if Nigerians adopt it and it's used by the majority, it ceases to be wrong regardless of what the englishman thinks of it.
ur second makes sense in a way, if everyone adobts it then its right, similarly if everyone adopted mans in place of men then it is correct.
for ur first point, dance for someone, (so the person can watch u dance, or dance in a show in place of u) is what it seems like, u have to understand the role 'for' plays in the sentence, does it signify owning something or helping out with something eg. the gift is for me, and do this for me, try to understand clapping ur hands in regards to both examples of for'

(1) (2) (Reply)

In Dependence By Sarah Ladipo Manyika - Free PDF Download / Current School Fees Of Corona And St Saviors / Lasu Pg Entrance Exam Results Online Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.