Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,002 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe (2920 Views)

Fadeyi Bridge: Lagos State Declares Two-night Movement Restriction On Ikorodu Rd / Railway Corporation Declares Free Train Service Across Nigeria For 2 Weeks / Arik London Flight Declares Emergency At Heathrow Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by sarrki(m): 4:32am On Aug 04, 2016
United States government has listed 20 of Nigeria’s 36 states as unsafe and asked its citizens living in the country to stay away from them.

Among the 20, it cited Borno, Adamawa and Yobe as a complete no-go area as “the ability of the US Mission to provide assistance to US citizens” in those states remains severely limited.

Members of the Boko Haram Islamic sect recently renewed attackes in Borno State, while Fulani herdsmen have scaled up killing of villagers and farmers in Adamawa State.

The travel warning, published on Wednesday, replaced an earlier one dated February 5, 2016.

In addition to the three frontline states, the Department of State also “recommends against all but essential travel to the following states due to the risk of kidnappings, robberies, and other armed attacks: Bauchi, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Niger, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, and Zamfara.

“The Department also warns against travel in the Gulf of Guinea, because of the threat of piracy” the advisory published online added.

It added that based on safety and security risk assessments, the embassy maintains restrictions for travel by U.S. officials to the states listed above; officials must receive advance clearance by the U.S. Mission for any travel to those states.

The statement particularly urged vigilance around government security facilities; churches, mosques, and other places of worship; locations where large crowds may gather, such as hotels, clubs, bars, restaurants, markets, shopping malls; and other areas frequented by expatriates and foreign travelers.

“Security measures in Nigeria remain heightened due to threats posed by extremist groups, and U.S. citizens may encounter police and military checkpoints, additional security, and possible road blocks throughout the country.

“Hundreds of thousands of Nigerians have been displaced as a result of violence in the north.”

The State Department noted that kidnappings remained a security concern throughout Nigeria, as  criminal elements across the country orchestrated kidnappings for ransom; Islamic extremists, operating predominantly in the North, also have been known to conduct kidnappings. Criminals or militants have abducted foreign nationals, including U.S. citizens, from off-shore and land-based oil facilities, residential compounds, airports, and public roadways.

“Separatist groups have staged demonstrations in Abia, Anambra, Bayelsa, Delta, Enugu, Imo, Lagos, and Rivers states, some of which have turned violent.

“Militant groups have destroyed oil production infrastructure in Bayelsa and Delta states.

“U.S citizens are advised to avoid the areas of these states where these incidents have occurred.

“Attacks by pirates off the coast of Nigeria in the Gulf of Guinea have increased substantially in recent years.

“Armed gangs have boarded both commercial and private vessels to rob travelers.

“The Nigerian Navy has limited capacity to respond to criminal acts at sea,” it concluded.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/us-declares-20-nigerian-states-unsafe/
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by Qmerit(m): 4:40am On Aug 04, 2016
Hissss why not add Lagos and Abuja or usa is not aware of the militants activities in Lagos cause they can't just avoid these places for business! My point is not these states re really safe! But the self acclaimed superb safe country is not safe either, this usa sef, right in usa there is killing every now and then, black re not safe, police re not safe. A state in usa just passed into law the right for students to carry gun in school is that not madness if usa is safe would that happened? Usa population is over 130million and over 2million re in jail if usa is safe would that ever happened? A country that sees others as inferior yet usa sins smells. Canada and China re there not making noise, for me more peaceful than usa.

9 Likes

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by YourNemesis: 4:49am On Aug 04, 2016
The Department of State also “recommends against all but essential travel to the following states due to the risk of kidnappings, robberies, and other armed attacks

Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Niger, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, and Zamfara.

SW = 0 states.

When we tell them that the SW is the safest region in all Nigeria, they think we are cooking up co.ck and bull stories.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by Nobody: 4:51am On Aug 04, 2016
The Southwest remains the safest zone in Nigeria. To the IPOB yoots, it is safe because we are cowards. To sane minds, it is safe because yoruba's are peaceful and accommodating hence the reason for their masive progress. **** Hardly would you find a successful Nigerian who doesn't own a house in lagos and the reason is the peaceful nature of yoruba's. If any region should clamor to form a country, it should be the SW cos we have proven to get our acts right over the years **** Proudly oodua sad

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by Qmerit(m): 4:54am On Aug 04, 2016
YourNemesis:
Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Niger, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, and Zamfara.

SW = 0 states.

When we tell them that the SW is the safest region in all Nigeria, they thinkwe are cooking up cock and bull stories.

My point is not where is really safe or not in Nigeria that is another argument for me, my point is the usa that is seeing others not good enough is the usa SAFE?

2 Likes

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by labamo07(m): 4:54am On Aug 04, 2016
To be honest, Borno, Adamawa and Yobe is a no go area. Go there at your own peril...................

1 Like

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by Qmerit(m): 4:57am On Aug 04, 2016
labamo07:
To be honest, Borno, Adamawa and Yobe is a no go area. Go there at your own peril...................

I know,
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by ThundrCork(m): 5:11am On Aug 04, 2016
It is time
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by BJAYADEMOLA(m): 5:15am On Aug 04, 2016
what did they intend to showcase. Did they not say Nigeria will break up last year.
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by RRoyaId: 5:16am On Aug 04, 2016
Abagworo the hopeless jobless frustrated old man come and see the rating of Imo state but you are more concerned with the news on the reconciliation of Obiano and Obi.

A worthless Imo state without any economic value but bedevilled by kidnappers and prostitutes. The only SE state on the list is the CURSED Imo state.. cool

3 Likes

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by RRoyaId: 5:19am On Aug 04, 2016
SE= 0 too..

Imo state is an outcast state so it is no longer in the SE.

YourNemesis:

SW = 0 states.

When we tell them that the SW is the safest region in all Nigeria, they think we are cooking up co.ck and bull stories.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by kettle84(m): 5:25am On Aug 04, 2016
Propropro:
The Southwest remains the safest zone in Nigeria. To the IPOB yoots, it is safe because we are cowards. To sane minds, it is safe because yoruba's are peaceful and accommodating hence the reason for their masive progress. We are patient and tactful unlike our yeastern blodas who have a PHD in chest beating but run like cowards when the battle line is drawn. Hardly would you find a successful Nigerian who doesn't own a house in lagos and the reason is the peaceful nature of yoruba's. If any region should clamor to form a country, it should be the SW cos we have proven to get our acts right over the years unlike a region known for criminality and drug trafficking shouting biafra all over the place when they can't even rule one state in their region to compete with Ogun state in peace and progress. Proudly oodua sad
do you call the destruction of people's wares in the middle of the night by Lagos state government and deportation of citizens of Nigeria to other parts of the country accommodating? or mass protests by indegines for other citizens to leave Lagos accommodating. if I hear!

5 Likes

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by Nobody: 5:44am On Aug 04, 2016
That's why GUO, Ezenwata, Young Shall Grow, Ezenwata, Ifesinachi, Iyare buses troop enmasse into the SW every blessed day.

As I'm writing, they're presently on their way.

Quote me to prove me wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by decode55(m): 5:49am On Aug 04, 2016
propaganda everywhere

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by fr3do(m): 6:36am On Aug 04, 2016
USA is even worse, u go just dey waka person go just shoot u for no reason.
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by Nobody: 6:50am On Aug 04, 2016
Propropro:
[s]The Southwest remains the safest zone in Nigeria. To the IPOB yoots, it is safe because we are cowards. To sane minds, it is safe because yoruba's are peaceful and accommodating hence the reason for their masive progress. We are patient and tactful unlike our yeastern blodas who have a PHD in chest beating but run like cowards when the battle line is drawn. Hardly would you find a successful Nigerian who doesn't own a house in lagos and the reason is the peaceful nature of yoruba's. If any region should clamor to form a country, it should be the SW cos we have proven to get our acts right over the years unlike a region known for criminality and drug trafficking shouting biafra all over the place when they can't even rule one state in their region to compete with Ogun state in peace and progress. Proudly oodua [/s] sad

Safest zone indeed by sending yoruba mercenaries to disrupt other regions said Akpabio

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by RRoyaId: 6:50am On Aug 04, 2016
Samuelanyanwu your attention is needed here immediately..
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by nedu2000(m): 6:52am On Aug 04, 2016
Strange how all the posters above me didn't see that Lagos state was mentioned,is it that none of them actually read the entire article?

4 Likes

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by bright007(f): 6:53am On Aug 04, 2016
Nigeria has never been safe
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by RRoyaId: 7:08am On Aug 04, 2016
Shut up..

Go to Walter Carrington at VI, the population in front of the US embassy shows that America has the highest visa applications on earth..why is that?

Why are people all over the world dying just to step a feet on the US soil?

Why do America threaten African leaders with visa denial or visa withdrawal?

America is the NUMBER ONE country in the world whatever they say matters alot...

[s]
Qmerit:
Hissss why not add Lagos and Abuja or usa is not aware of the militants activities in Lagos cause they can't just avoid these places for business! My point is not these states re really safe! But the self acclaimed superb safe country is not safe either, this usa sef, right in usa there is killing every now and then, black re not safe, police re not safe. A state in usa just passed into law the right for students to carry gun in school is that not madness if usa is safe would that happened? Usa population is over 130million and over 2million re in jail if usa is safe would that ever happened? A country that sees others as inferior yet usa sins smells. Canada and China re there not making noise, for me more peaceful than usa.
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by HtwoOw: 7:12am On Aug 04, 2016
Most of SW is safe

Ask the Biafraudians and Ipobians

1 Like

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by veekid(m): 7:12am On Aug 04, 2016
Nowhere is safe in Nigeria, we all know
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by sarrki(m): 7:14am On Aug 04, 2016
HtwoOw:
Most of SW is safe

Ask the Biafraudians and Ipobians
spot on Bro!!!
We are the most tolerant zone worldwide.

Eko onibaje

Ile odua oni tuka

Nigeria atoro
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by HtwoOw: 7:17am On Aug 04, 2016
Ooshe awon oriire !!!
sarrki:
spot on Bro!!!
We are the most tolerant zone worldwide.

Eko onibaje

Ile odua oni tuka

Nigeria atoro

1 Like

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by Qmerit(m): 7:20am On Aug 04, 2016
RRoyaId:
Shut up..

Go to Walter Carrington at VI, the population in front of the US embassy shows that America has the highest visa application on earth..why is that?

Why are people all over the world dying just to step a feet on the US soil?

Why do America threaten African leaders with visa denial or visa withdrawal?

America is the NUMBER ONE country in the world whatever they say matters alot...

you must be a big FOOL for telling me to shut up ok. If you re making point must you do it with insult? With my points raised re they lies or not? Is the no insecurity in usa answer that!

Yes people what to go to usa for different reason not cause there's no insecurity ok.
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by RRoyaId: 7:26am On Aug 04, 2016
Shut up and start answering my questions...

If America were as insecure as you said why then do people all over the world dying just step a feet there?

Why is it that Canada and China put together do not have as much as visa applications and heavy human traffic as US embassies all over the world?

[s]
Qmerit:

you must be a big FOOL for telling me to shut up ok. If you re making point must you do it with insult? With my points raised re they lies or not? Is the no insecurity in usa answer that!

Yes people what to go to usa for different reason not cause there's no insecurity ok.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by IamPatriotic(m): 7:26am On Aug 04, 2016
Abike Dabiri should on behalf of the government as a matter of urgency issue a reactionary statement telling. Nigerians the no go areas of the United States, U.S. is as unsafe as Borno and Rivers.
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by HurtgenForest: 7:27am On Aug 04, 2016
Propropro:
T[s]he Southwest remains the safest zone in Nigeria. To the IPOB yoots, it is safe because we are cowards. To sane minds, it is safe because yoruba's are peaceful and accommodating hence the reason for their masive progress. We are patient and tactful unlike our yeastern blodas who have a PHD in chest beating but run like cowards when the battle line is drawn. Hardly would you find a successful Nigerian who doesn't own a house in lagos and the reason is the peaceful nature of yoruba's. If any region should clamor to form a country, it should be the SW cos we have proven to get our acts right over the years unlike a region known for criminality and drug trafficking shouting biafra all over the place when they can't even rule one state in their region to compete with Ogun state in peace and progress. Proudly oodua sad[/s]

Who is this thing looking for trouble now?

Can't you make your submissions without dragging us into it?

Do you see us in your dreams like Pastor Bakare?

Don't start what you can't finish.

Mynd44, see this guy now, when we destroy this thread now I will be sent to prison.

4 Likes

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by Juxtified(m): 7:32am On Aug 04, 2016
YourNemesis:

SW = 0 states.

What then do you call the joint Army, Air force and Naval bombardment currently going on in Ogun & Lagos states, or the countless tales of rituals killings and kidnappings?
You guys always swallow everything that comes "from abroad" hook, line and sinker. The fact is those foreigners have always acted in protection of their own interests from time immemorial. More than 90% of their business activities occur in Lagos, so it was not surprising that that they conveniently left that out. Tell me what makes Imo, Delta, Edo, Kano, Katsina & Sokoto unsafe that is not present in any other state in Nigeria?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by Qmerit(m): 7:34am On Aug 04, 2016
RRoyaId:
Shut up and start answering my questions...

If America were as insecure as you said why then the whole world dying just step a feet there?

Why is that that Canada and China put together do not have as much as visa applications and heavy human traffic at US embassies all over the world?

[s][/s]

So it is a lie that police that opt to be security personnel re not killing black at will and police themselves re not being killed also it is false that shooting at the club and other killings re not insecurities? It is only Nigeria you ve insecurity? Reason with your head and stop using ur anus pls, I ve answered you yet u re asking same question, go back and read my comment and my precious reply to ur useless quote! Slave ll ever remain a slave
Re: Us Declares 20 Nigerian States Unsafe by RRoyaId: 7:38am On Aug 04, 2016
Trash!

Answer my questions...

[s]
Qmerit:

So it is a lie that police that opt to be security personnel re not killing black at will and police themselves re not being killed also it is false that shooting at the club and other killings re not insecurities? It is only Nigeria you ve insecurity? Reason with your head and stop using ur anus pls, I ve answered you yet u re asking same question, go back and read my comment and my precious reply to ur useless quote! Slave ll ever remain a slave
[/s]

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Nigerian In Kuwait? / Hnd Holder,joblesss,illegal Immigrant,married Wt 2kids,insults,depressed Now / Would You Ever Consider Long Distance Wedding Ceremony And Marriage? Check Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.