Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,616 members, 7,820,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues (1998 Views)

Mitsubishi Recalls 368,000 Vehicles As They Constitute Major Hazards / Mitsubishi Is Changing The Way Cars Give Signals / Toyota Car Jacks After Starting And Normalises After 20mins Of Movement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by Spencer0991: 7:05am On Aug 04, 2016
Please I have a serious problem. Have a Mitsubishi Pajero 2001 with one coil (2 cylinders) not firing and also starting problems. A scan suggested the power unit (TR2 if I remember correctly) but it's been changed (tried 2 samples) to no effect. My electrician insists it's the brain box but 3 different ones have been tried(including one from Dubai) and none worked fine. They started well suggesting the original brain box was indeed not working well but none fired properly. One even transferred the non working coil to another coil nearest to the battery while the originally troubled one started working (the coil not working with my brain box is the one furthest from the battery). Now he's suggesting rewiring the car to work with my brainbox AND the purchased one (at 35k), one to control firing and the other starting at a 25k workmanship charge since all else has failed . Is this even possible? Should it be done or continue looking for brainbox?

1 Share

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:24am On Aug 04, 2016
Spencer0991:
Please I have a serious problem. Have a Mitsubishi Pajero 2001 with one coil (2 cylinders) not firing and also starting problems. A scan suggested the power unit (TR2 if I remember correctly) but it's been changed (tried 2 samples) to no effect. My electrician insists it's the brain box but 3 different ones have been tried(including one from Dubai) and none worked fine. They started well suggesting the original brain box was indeed not working well but none fired properly. One even transferred the non working coil to another coil nearest to the battery while the originally troubled one started working (the coil not working with my brain box is the one furthest from the battery). Now he's suggesting rewiring the car to work with my brainbox AND the purchased one (at 35k), one to control firing and the other starting at a 25k workmanship charge since all else has failed . Is this even possible? Should it be done or continue looking for brainbox?

6cylinder engine, 6 coils, 2 coils not working, engine ecu replaced still not working. Problem is centered around the engine harness.
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by Spencer0991: 7:35am On Aug 04, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

6cylinder engine, 6 coils, 2 coils not working, engine ecu replaced still not working. Problem is centered around the engine harness.
Thanks for the reply. But can a faulty engine harness explain the fact that the problem developed gradually with the coil coming on and off intermittently until now that it's mostly off? And that another Brainbox was able to make the faulty one work fine but another one stop working?
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:38am On Aug 04, 2016
Spencer0991:

Thanks for the reply. But can a faulty engine harness explain the fact that the problem developed gradually with the coil coming on and off intermittently until now that it's mostly off? And that another Brainbox was able to make the faulty one work fine but another one stop working?

that one is your village people. Pls visit MFM ibadan express for quick deliverance.
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:42am On Aug 04, 2016
in this case, check harness for continuity. Using a wiring diagram, this Shuld be easy. If it is a 4 pin socket to the coils, 2 pins are for power (1 ignition the other ground) the other 2 are straight from engine ecu. The power pins are connected in parallel to all 6 coils and can be checked easily when engine is running, or when off.

The summary of this, is you should get a qualified tech who knows what he is doing to look at your vehicle.

Cc: diportivo
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by Spencer0991: 9:12am On Aug 04, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
in this case, check harness for continuity. Using a wiring diagram, this Shuld be easy. If it is a 4 pin socket to the coils, 2 pins are for power (1 ignition the other ground) the other 2 are straight from engine ecu. The power pins are connected in parallel to all 6 coils and can be checked easily when engine is running, or when off.
The summary of this, is you should get a qualified tech who knows what he is doing to look at your vehicle.
Please can I speak with you privately?
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by diportivo: 9:25am On Aug 04, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by Spencer0991: 10:20am On Aug 04, 2016
Thanks for your response but I'll appreciate helpful responses and not banter
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by mayor2013: 11:25am On Aug 04, 2016
Any aftet market remote or immobiliser installed on this car?
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by Spencer0991: 11:32am On Aug 04, 2016
mayor2013:
Any aftet market remote or immobiliser installed on this car?
No. There's no remote lock. No security. Just the key. And it's a manual transmission
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:51am On Aug 04, 2016
Spencer0991:
Please can I speak with you privately?

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by Spencer0991: 12:22pm On Aug 04, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Thanks for your help bro much appreciated cheesy
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by sultaan(m): 7:01am On Aug 05, 2016
WHat is the primary and secondary resistance on the coils
ALso double check that they did not switch the coil connectors. If a mechanic made a mistake and connect the wires for coil #2 to #4.

If #2 is suppose to fire and #4 fires the engine is working fine you just have you wires crossed look at engine pics online and compare to yours or find a similar truck to compare connections

When did the problem start was it after a mechanic worked on it?
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by Spencer0991: 8:47pm On Aug 05, 2016
sultaan:
WHat is the primary and secondary resistance on the coils
ALso double check that they did not switch the coil connectors. If a mechanic made a mistake and connect the wires for coil #2 to #4.

If #2 is suppose to fire and #4 fires the engine is working fine you just have you wires crossed look at engine pics online and compare to yours or find a similar truck to compare connections

When did the problem start was it after a mechanic worked on it?
The problem started gradually. Coil no. 3 would intermittently go off and come on after a while (the car has 3 coils for 6 plugs: 1 plugs per coil). Then it started staying off longer until now it's mostly off. What the electrician wants to do is to rewire the car to use a brainbox that almost worked perfectly with the car (it started well but didn't fire very well). It's for a Montero (very similar model; exterior virtually identical). He wants to get it with complete wiring and sockets and wire it to the coils
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by sultaan(m): 6:19am On Aug 06, 2016
Spencer0991:

The problem started gradually. Coil no. 3 would intermittently go off and come on after a while (the car has 3 coils for 6 plugs: 1 plugs per coil). Then it started staying off longer until now it's mostly off. What the electrician wants to do is to rewire the car to use a brainbox that almost worked perfectly with the car (it started well but didn't fire very well). It's for a Montero (very similar model; exterior virtually identical). He wants to get it with complete wiring and sockets and wire it to the coils

It should be 6 plugs 6 coils 1 coil per plug

you should never guess if it is working the resistance check on coil is to know if its working or not so use a multimeter to compare the resistance on all before changing parts.

In your case now find Gazzuz because your mechanic is about to kill that car and I am sure your mechanic does not have the proper tools to do it because you won't have bought all those parts you bought
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by Spencer0991: 9:28pm On Aug 26, 2016
Well the mechanic did the work using the brainbox of a closely related pajero model and it worked. The only incompatibility was the compressor which he rewired. The car runs beautifully again. Some differences in the movement as its an Auto ECU (my car has a manual transmission).
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by everyday: 12:38pm On Aug 29, 2016
Spencer0991:
Well the mechanic did the work using the brainbox of a closely related pajero model and it worked. The only incompatibility was the compressor which he rewired. The car runs beautifully again. Some differences in the movement as its an Auto ECU (my car has a manual transmission).
Please kindly tell what model of the closely related pajero model that worked
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by mayor2013: 12:45pm On Aug 29, 2016
Palliative solution. Watch out for the next round of problem
Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues by surrogatesng: 1:20pm On Nov 20, 2016
Spencer0991 i need your number or call me 07067866986

(1) (Reply)

Acura Tl Type S 2008 For Sale / Radiator Fan Keeps Working After Engine Stop / How Much Is Camry Big Light And Camry Tiny Light?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.