Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,405 members, 7,830,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud (1934 Views)

Help!! Honda Accord 2009 Inspection / My Honda Accord Vibrate/jerk When Entering First/second Gear And Reverse / Thud Sound On Coasting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by Mrcharming(m): 10:41pm On Aug 04, 2018
Dear all, my Honda Accord 2010 model skips the second gear and makes a loud thud. This usually happens when the engine is hot. I have scanned it but it did not return any error codes. Pls, what could be the problem? Thanks.
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by LuciferChristi: 10:44pm On Aug 04, 2018
Try it again on Third Mainland bridge...
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:19am On Aug 05, 2018
Mrcharming:
Dear all, my Honda Accord 2010 model skips the second gear and makes a loud thud. This usually happens when the engine is hot. I have scanned it but it did not return any error codes. Pls, what could be the problem? Thanks.

4cylinder or V6? Have vehicle scanned and post the codes here.
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by mayor2013: 9:04am On Aug 05, 2018
Mrcharming:

Actual values using a scan tool , scan result, colour of transmission fluid
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by Kashif(m): 2:03pm On Aug 05, 2018
Mrcharming:

How did you confirm it is skipping second?

At what AT temp does this start? Any recent repairs? Look for a competent tech.

1 Like

Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by Inception(m): 2:17pm On Aug 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

4cylinder or V6? Have vehicle scanned and post the codes here.

He has scanned already. No codes according to him. But I think he might need a diagnostic equipment and not just a code reader as codes might be pending.
I think you may have a defective valve body, from a mechanical standpoint. What kind of fluid have you been using? And when last was it changed before this started happening? Any impact that affected the transmission area?

And how are you sure it is skipping second? Maybe it is forcefully engaging second? Skipping gears might bring up gear incorrect ratio codes.
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by lilkech(m): 2:17pm On Aug 05, 2018
Op when it tries to enter gear two and it makes that ‘thud’ do your tyres ‘screech/chop’ too? If It does then it may not be skipping gears yet

Take it on a short drive, while on first gear rev up to 2k and ease off the throttle, if your gear up shifts without the ‘thud’ then it’s in gear 2

It’s a very bad sign when these transmissions ‘skip’ gears undecided you got to make sure

Try to pull transmission specific codes with a good scan tool and not those small blue ones

Or be like me and use the paper clip method grin
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:24pm On Aug 05, 2018
lilkech:
Op when it tries to enter gear two and it makes that ‘thud’ do your tyres ‘screech/chop’ too? If It does then it may not be skipping gears yet

Take it on a short drive, while on first gear rev up to 2k and ease off the throttle, if your gear up shifts without the ‘thud’ then it’s in gear 2

It’s a very bad sign when these transmissions ‘skip’ gears undecided you got to make sure

Try to pull transmission specific codes with a good scan tool and not those small blue ones

sense will not kee you
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by thebigkendo(m): 2:52pm On Aug 05, 2018
lilkech:

Paper Clip method will most probably not throw any code since OP did not mention D blinking
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by lilkech(m): 3:02pm On Aug 05, 2018
thebigkendo:

Paper Clip method will most probably not throw any code since OP did not mention D blinking

If his gear thuds then there’s a code. The D doesn’t have to blink continually as it’s already stored in the ecu.

I’m certain Paper clip throws all stored codes, it’s how to interpret it that becomes the issue

That’s if you were successful enough to not toast your ecu first grin

Disclaimer: anyone attempting the topic of this particular post should for goodness sake please take note of the bolded
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by Mrcharming(m): 3:32pm On Aug 05, 2018
I change the ATF annually and I just changed it last month. Usually when the gear skips, the tires often screech especially if driven hard. A mechanic checked it and said it is valve body. He changed the valve body, but the situation did not improve in any way.
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by Mrcharming(m): 3:36pm On Aug 05, 2018
@Lilkech, what is paper clip method? The car is i4 and the ATF is Honda Z1 which was recommended in the car manual. Kindly recommend a competent techie with advance diagonistic equipment in Abuja, if you know any. Thanks all.
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by thebigkendo(m): 4:48pm On Aug 05, 2018
lilkech:

If his gear thuds then there’s a code. The D doesn’t have to blink continually as it’s already stored in the ecu.

I’m certain Paper clip throws all stored codes, it’s how to interpret it that becomes the issue

That’s if you were successful enough to not toast your ecu first grin
Disclaimer: anyone attempting the topic of this particular post should for goodness sake please take note of the bolded

The D will continue blinking till the stored code is cleared that was why I said since OP did not mention D blinking.. Paper clip jumping will not throw any AT related code.. Well except P0706 or P0700 which normally don't make D blink.

Any code thrown due to gear thud will cause D to blink
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by thebigkendo(m): 5:05pm On Aug 05, 2018
Mrcharming:
@Lilkech, what is paper clip method? The car is i4 and the ATF is Honda Z1 which was recommended in the car manual. Kindly recommend a competent techie with advance diagonistic equipment in Abuja, if you know any. Thanks all.

AutoElectNG or kingreign

Due deligence in your dealings tho
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by Kashif(m): 5:21pm On Aug 05, 2018
Mrcharming:

Be very careful with paperclip method, as the least you could get if gotten wrong is blown fuse. If there are codes set, a good scanner will pick same.

You still have not told us why you think second gear is being skipped. Is it being commanded?
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:57pm On Aug 05, 2018
Mrcharming:

wrong oil used for 1 year more than once.

Valve body already replaced.

Replace Gearbox.
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by Inception(m): 8:28pm On Aug 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

wrong oil used for 1 year more than once.

Valve body already replaced.

Replace Gearbox.

Case closed.

If you are to go this route, pls take proper note of the engine in your car(I mean the 4 cylinder variant)
The k24 engines are of two types, Z2 and Z3. This is important because they have different ECUs and different transmissions that have different ratios.

3 Likes

Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by mayor2013: 9:17pm On Aug 05, 2018
From experience on the field. The z1 fluid killed that transmission. Z1 fluids are no longer in production so whatever you see are fake. Prepare your mind for a transmission replacement.

2 Likes

Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by AutoElectNG: 6:03am On Aug 06, 2018
thebigkendo:

AutoEl.ectNG or king.reign

Due deligence in your dealings tho
Thanks for the mention/referral
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by AutoElectNG: 8:22am On Aug 06, 2018
I am offering the OP the chance to be the first on nairaland to have the vital fluids of his vehicle analyzed with a FluidRX diagnostic kit

https://www.nairaland.com/4659358/test-condition-vital-fluids-fluid#70023181

Although the ATF is suspect, we might as well test everything, so he can share the results with the forum
Re: Help, Honda Accord Skips Second Gear With Loud Thud by petrusevents(m): 4:02am On Jul 01, 2022
Hello op
Please how did you solve this gear issue

(1) (Reply)

Recommended Engine Oil For Honda Jazz2004 / Pontiac Vibe Vs Pontiac Torrent / Ongoing New Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Plant In Ozubulu Anambra State(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.