Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,116 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK (1613 Views)

Mini-ITX Gaming PC / Gaming PC - What You Need To Know (WYNTK) / Do You Own Or Have You Built A GAMING PC: Please Share Your System Specification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 8:10pm On Aug 04, 2016
If you’re building a new gaming computer, then you’ve probably heard that your memory is pretty important. In the simplest of terms, your computer’s memory gives your processor a place to carry out it’s processes. The more memory you have and the quicker it functions, the faster your processor can access important files. Of course, in gaming, there is only so much memory that can be had.

Generally speaking, 4-8GB is all that is needed in order to max out the potential of adding more RAM. However, if you are planning on doing other process-intensive tasks like video/image editing, more RAM will come in handy. I typically don’t recommend more than 16GB of memory for a gaming PC because anymore than that is overkill.

The latest RAM available, DDR4 RAM is only compatible with the Intel LGA1151 socket. Others including AMD use DDR3 and DDR2 RAM on less expensive or older motherboards. The motherboard manufacturer will always say what RAM is compatible.

DDR4 RAM @ 2133Mhz & DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz/1866MHz RAM are the sweet spot for gaming, higher clocked RAM are so much more expensive and don't give any significant performance boost in gaming. My advice is go for what you can afford.

Related Post - https://www.nairaland.com/3267973/gaming-pc-what-need-know

Re: RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK by bhybhar(m): 7:47am On Aug 05, 2016
AKBliv010:
If you’re building a new gaming computer, then you’ve probably heard that your memory is pretty important. In the simplest of terms, your computer’s memory gives your processor a place to carry out it’s processes. The more memory you have and the quicker it functions, the faster your processor can access important files. Of course, in gaming, there is only so much memory that can be had.

Generally speaking, 4-8GB is all that is needed in order to max out the potential of adding more RAM. However, if you are planning on doing other process-intensive tasks like video/image editing, more RAM will come in handy. I typically don’t recommend more than 16GB of memory for a gaming PC because anymore than that is overkill.

The latest RAM available, DDR4 RAM is only compatible with the Intel LGA1151 socket. Others including AMD use DDR3 and DDR2 RAM on less expensive or older motherboards. The motherboard manufacturer will always what RAM is compatible.

DDR4 RAM @ 2133Mhz & DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz RAM are the sweet spot for gaming, higher clocked RAM are so much more expensive and don't give any significant performance boost in gaming. My advice is go for what you can afford.

i have a laptop with 4GB ram,i intend to increase it to 6 or 8,depends on which one i can afford. My question is will the ram increase automatically increase gaming performance?
Re: RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 8:09am On Aug 05, 2016
bhybhar:
i have a laptop with 4GB ram,i intend to increase it to 6 or 8,depends on which one i can afford. My question is will the ram increase automatically increase gaming performance?
Your processor and graphic card will determine if it will give you a boost...low-end or non-gaming laptop specs won't see any boost in gaming performance but more RAM will help with daily use if you multitask a lot.

My guides are more suited for desktop gaming PC's.
Re: RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK by Wiztek(m): 9:41pm On Aug 05, 2016
What about a 3200mhz 16gb rig is that a little overkill cheesy grin
Re: RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 9:57pm On Aug 05, 2016
Wiztek:
What about a 3200mhz 16gb rig is that a little overkill cheesy grin
High speed RAM benefits people who do video editing, Computer Aided Deisgn (CAD) or converting large/complex files. There is very little gains in gaming. In this regard, it is overkill for gaming.
Re: RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK by Wiztek(m): 11:40pm On Aug 05, 2016
AKBliv010:

High speed RAM benefits people who do video editing, Computer Aided Deisgn (CAD) or converting large/complex files. There is very little gains in gaming. In this regard, it is overkill for gaming.
Ok so 2400mhz is ok
Re: RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 12:11am On Aug 06, 2016
Wiztek:

Ok so 2400mhz is ok
You can choose whatever RAM speed you wish to use but high speed RAM in a gaming PC is a waste of money. As mentioned in my original post 1600/1866Mhz DDR3 or 2133Mhz DDR4 is the sweet spot.
Re: RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK by KazukiIto(m): 1:04am On Aug 06, 2016
How to check the mHz?
Re: RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 7:23am On Aug 06, 2016
KazukiIto:
How to check the mHz?
I use a free program called CPU-Z. - http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.77-en.exe .'Task Manager' is notorious for quoting the wrong information.

On the Memory Tab, check the DRAM Frequency and multiple that number by 2. Why 2, for those who might ask? It's because RAM carries out operations on the rising and falling edge of the clock hence why it's called DDR (double data rate) memory.

Re: RAM For Gaming PC - WYNTK by KazukiIto(m): 12:44pm On Aug 06, 2016
AKBliv010:

I use a free program called CPU-Z. - http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.77-en.exe .'Task Manager' is notorious for quoting the wrong information.

On the Memory Tab, check the DRAM Frequency and multiple that number by 2. Why 2, for those who might ask? It's because RAM carries out operations on the rising and falling edge of the clock hence why it's called DDR (double data rate) memory.

Nice info. learning a lot

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Best Andriod Strategy Games / People Should Beware Of SUREBET247 / Guess 5 Words In This Puzzle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.