Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Automotive Assignment - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automotive Assignment (2233 Views)

CEO Of Daimler Name His Four Automotive Icons,Do You Agree With His Picks? / Mercedes-benz Is Rated The Most Valuable European Premium Automotive Brand / Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 11:39pm On Aug 04, 2016
You have a basic internal combustion engine that powers a dynamo in this case but could be powering a water pump, grinding machine, etc

You don't want to always get up to turn it off.

How will you accomplish this and how much will the parts to do this cost in Nigeria?

A basic engine as used in small gen, etc

**Free phone recharge on any Nigerian provider to the first concise submission.

Oh, the usual suspects like Gazzuzz and co of course are exempt from participation but will help selecting the right answer.
Re: Automotive Assignment by mayor2013: 6:21am On Aug 05, 2016
Can I participate? wink
Re: Automotive Assignment by sultaan(m): 6:37am On Aug 05, 2016
DO you mean you need a way to turn on an engine on a water pump and turn it off when the tank is full?
Also turn pump on when tank reaches a set level?

you will need level probes hooked to an auto starter on your engine like how air compressors work with pressure on those tanks
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 05, 2016
mayor2013:
Can I participate? wink

See thief grin
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 05, 2016
sultaan:
DO you mean you need a way to turn on an engine on a water pump and turn it off when the tank is full?
Also turn pump on when tank reaches a set level?

you will need level probes hooked to an auto starter on your engine like how air compressors work with pressure on those tanks

You want to turn off your small gen remotely from say your bedroom while the gen is outside and you don't want to go out there.

A simple rudimentary way.
Re: Automotive Assignment by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:32am On Aug 05, 2016
buy a gen with remote staring. Available in the market.

P.s the recharge card value was not stated.
Re: Automotive Assignment by baconline(m): 8:15am On Aug 05, 2016
Buy a gen with a digital starter, extend the on/off and start button to your house,
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 12:07pm On Aug 05, 2016
No one has the answer right yet.

We're talking about a basic gen, not one with electric start.

Come on people don't let me down.

This closes 24 hours from when it started.
Re: Automotive Assignment by baconline(m): 12:26pm On Aug 05, 2016
If its just turn it off, replace the fuel switch with a electric switch which u can operate from within the house by connecting a wire to it and its being powered by the same current generated by d gen, when u want it off activate the switch ,gen goes off after a minute
Also u could change the on/off button to a electromechanical switch which u could control from within the house,
U actually have over 3 ways to do this, need much typing to do, don't have d time, not interested in your recharge card but I love it when I see a challenge

1 Like

Re: Automotive Assignment by nurey(m): 7:05pm On Aug 05, 2016
I am not an engineer but your situation can be solved using Nurey's theorem

Since you intend to turn it off by itself, simple just make a calculation of how long the fuel will last, example you intend to switch off the machine in two hours, just pour 2 litres of petrol and in two hours when it finishes, the gen will go off, how much does it cost, nada.

When I was a child, there was a device fitted to our over head tank which turned off the switch when the water was full automatically, I don't know how the device looks or its name but it got damaged when one of my neighbours tank fell on ours, 10years ago, the said device was sold for 16k

Just in case I got the answer right, I need #2500 glo recharge card for my 10gig subscription thank you for understanding

1 Like

Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 05, 2016
baconline:
If its just turn it off, replace the fuel switch with a electric switch which u can operate from within the house by connecting a wire to it and its being powered by the same current generated by d gen, when u want it off activate the switch ,gen goes off after a minute
Also u could change the on/off button to a electromechanical switch which u could control from within the house,
U actually have over 3 ways to do this, need much typing to do, don't have d time, not interested in your recharge card but I love it when I see a challenge

We have the closest answer here.

All you guys with your elaborate schemes.

All you need to do is:

1) mount a switch indoors with a wire back to the gen that grounds the spark plug to the engine block

or

2) mount a switch indoors with a wire back to the switch on the gen. Find the ground wire and split it into thus new switch.

Always try to apply the KISS principle grin
Re: Automotive Assignment by baconline(m): 8:26am On Aug 06, 2016
EgunMogaji:

All you need to do is:
1) mount a switch indoors with a wire back to the gen that grounds the spark plug to the engine block
or
2) mount a switch indoors with a wire back to the switch on the gen. Find the ground wire and split it into thus new switch.
All what u have said is still what the on/off button does,so I am still right, also turning off the generator without killing the fuel supply could be dangerous
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2016
baconline:

All what u have said is still what the on/off button does,so I am still right, also turning off the generator without killing the fuel supply could be dangerous

I disagree.
Re: Automotive Assignment by sultaan(m): 7:23pm On Aug 06, 2016
EgunMogaji:

All you need to do is:

or

This is the year of our lord 2016, I would have done that in the 70's but technology has given us the opportunity to do more.

The fellow who suggested putting just enough fuel would have won because that comes closest to Keeping It Simple and Smart.

No elaborate wiring no getting up to flip a switch either
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 06, 2016
sultaan:

This is the year of our lord 2016, I would have done that in the 70's but technology has given us the opportunity to do more.

The fellow who suggested putting just enough fuel would have won because that comes closest to Keeping It Simple and Smart.

No elaborate wiring no getting up to flip a switch either

Nope, the fuel angle is completely ridiculous. I specifically stated that "You don't want to always get up to turn it off." I could have stated "how to measure enough gas to last x hours so that my engine can run itself completely dry".

If I was going to do it I would use a remote control to start and stop the engine. Something that I've been using in my cars since 2003 wink

This was to settle an argument that you need a generator with an electric starter to remotely turn it off. Starving the engine of electrical current is as KISS as can be. But i'm from a practical school though and not academical.
Re: Automotive Assignment by nurey(m): 7:41pm On Aug 06, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Nope, the fuel angle is completely ridiculous. I specifically stated that "You don't want to always get up to turn it off." I could have stated "how to measure enough gas to last x hours so that my engine can run itself completely dry".

If I was going to do it I would use a remote control to start and stop the engine. Something that I've been using in my cars since 2003 wink

This was to settle an argument that you need a generator with an electric starter to remotely turn it off. Starving the engine of electrical current is as KISS as can be. But i'm from a practical school though and not academical.
Even our sadist lecturer gave marks (recharge card) for attempting a question, why is yours different lol
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 06, 2016
nurey:

Even our sadist lecturer gave marks (recharge card) for attempting a question, why is yours different lol

The contest rule was clearly spelt out grin
Re: Automotive Assignment by honmusa(m): 8:42pm On Aug 06, 2016
EgunMogaji:

All you need to do is:

or

Case 1.I need to know how you intend to use the spark ignition as the switching for the whole system cos that is a poor design from a scientific point of view if what I am thinking is what u intend to do .
Case 2 ,nobody does switching on a ground terminal part of a wire ,remember this is AC not DC.And if you are switching from the ground terminal ,the equipment is already a live wire .Serious safety issue here !!!!!
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 06, 2016
honmusa:

Case 1.I need to know how you intend to use the spark ignition as the switching for the whole system cos that is a poor design from a scientific point of view if what I am thinking is what u intend to do .
Case 2 ,nobody does switching on a ground terminal part of a wire ,remember this is AC not DC.And if you are switching from the ground terminal ,the equipment is already a live wire .Serious safety issue here !!!!!

You're over thinking it. Zero safety issue.

All my vehicles have such manual kill switch that I manually install.

That you're challenging my thesis speaks volume to me.

YMMV.
Re: Automotive Assignment by honmusa(m): 10:18pm On Aug 06, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You're over thinking it. Zero safety issue.

All my vehicles have such manual kill switch that I manually install.

That you're challenging my thesis speaks volume to me.

YMMV.
Manual kill switch on a automobile can be taken from either side cos this is DC system but on AC system as your thesis suggests ,kill switch should only be taken from positive circuit in order to isolate the load from the live curcuit.
I am not interested in challenging your thesis ,I only raise an innocent observation .Pls accept it in good faith and let move on .
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 11:23pm On Aug 06, 2016
honmusa:

Manual kill switch on a automobile can be taken from either side cos this is DC system but on AC system as your thesis suggests ,kill switch should only be taken from positive circuit in order to isolate the load from the live curcuit.
I am not interested in challenging your thesis ,I only raise an innocent observation .Pls accept it in good faith and let move on .

You can always say that you don't know how to get it done.

All internal combustion engines operates the same way and need three things to operate, take one away and they stop.

I'll move on when I'm ready to, not because you decreed so.
Re: Automotive Assignment by Denn(m): 8:30am On Aug 07, 2016
EgunMogaji:
You have a basic internal combustion engine that powers a dynamo in this case but could be powering a water pump, grinding machine, etc

How will you accomplish this and how much will the parts to do this cost in Nigeria?

Oh, the usual suspects like Gazzuzz and co of course are exempt from participation but will help selecting the right answer.

Step 1.
install a water level circuit breaker in the water tank. this device cuts off power once a certain water level is reached.

step 2.
run the water level breaker switch into main ignition line

step 3. instal two wireless relay kits into the circuit that provides electric power to the starter and pump. the relay to the pump power supply is activated by one and the kick starter is activated by the press of the button on the other. the first must have a toggle switch that keeps power on while the relay to the kick starter must switch off once button is released.

step 4.
inspect all connections and ensure proper seals, wire gauges and connections are made/used.

step 5.
toggle on the power relay and press remote on kick starter relay. engine starts and powers the water pump. when filled, the water level circuit breaker cuts of power. if you want to stop the pump before tank is filled, simply toggle off power via the first remote.

step 6.
i use glo network and i appreciate recharge card instead of online airtime loading as i can get double bonus.

thank you

1 Like

Re: Automotive Assignment by LeJeun3: 10:45am On Aug 07, 2016
EgunMogaji:

From ur description the system has to be electrically operated.

A small generator (I better pass my neighbor), won't accept a kick starter....

But if the source of power was aside the system then we have a go.

Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 07, 2016
LeJeun3:

From ur description the system has to be electrically operated.

A small generator (I better pass my neighbor), won't accept a kick starter....

But if the source of power was aside the system then we have a go.

All internal combustion engines have electricity to provide spark to the spark plug.

Kick starter not in the equation at all.
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 07, 2016
Denn:

Step 1.
install a water level circuit breaker in the water tank. this device cuts off power once a certain water level is reached.

step 2.
run the water level breaker switch into main ignition line

step 3. instal two wireless relay kits into the circuit that provides electric power to the starter and pump. the relay to the pump power supply is activated by one and the kick starter is activated by the press of the button on the other. the first must have a toggle switch that keeps power on while the relay to the kick starter must switch off once button is released.

step 4.
inspect all connections and ensure proper seals, wire gauges and connections are made/used.

step 5.
toggle on the power relay and press remote on kick starter relay. engine starts and powers the water pump. when filled, the water level circuit breaker cuts of power. if you want to stop the pump before tank is filled, simply toggle off power via the first remote.

step 6.
i use glo network and i appreciate recharge card instead of online airtime loading as i can get double bonus.

thank you

You're killing me over here with this your elaborate scheme.
Re: Automotive Assignment by honmusa(m): 1:09pm On Aug 07, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You can always say that you don't know how to get it done.

All internal combustion engines operates the same way and need three things to operate, take one away and they stop.

I'll move on when I'm ready to, not because you decreed so.

How on earth can u put a kill switch at the secondary ignition side for switching purposes .That side can generate up to 110000 voltage ,that is too a dangerous side to tamper with,have u heard of back emf .That you did it and get away with it doesn't means it is the right thing .
Check wiring diagrams to see how is being done .
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 07, 2016
honmusa:

How on earth can u put a kill switch at the secondary ignition side for switching purposes .That side can generate up to 110000 voltage ,that is too a dangerous side to tamper with,have u heard of back emf .That you did it and get away with it doesn't means it is the right thing .
Check wiring diagrams to see how is being done .

That's the difference between the two of us.

While you still have to reference stuff, I've been doing this.

You can admit that you don't know how to shut down a simple internal combustion engine.

Note: You can continue to make up alarming theories and claim that it's what I'm proposing. Intelligent members can read and validate themselves if that's what I wrote.
Re: Automotive Assignment by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:44pm On Aug 07, 2016

2 Likes

Re: Automotive Assignment by Denn(m): 3:14pm On Aug 07, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You're killing me over here with this your elaborate scheme.

That is a diplomatic way of not addressing my Glo recharge card.

I could have provided a detailed diagram but that is dependent on first acknowledging my response
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 07, 2016
Denn:

That is a diplomatic way of not addressing my Glo recharge card.

I could have provided a detailed diagram but that is dependent on first acknowledging my response

You, Gazzuzz and the other usual suspects don't qualify because we should be the ones teaching our young ones grin
Re: Automotive Assignment by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 07, 2016
Two wires no diagram needed. Sold all day all night on eBay grin

Re: Automotive Assignment by LeJeun3: 7:46pm On Aug 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

All internal combustion engines have electricity to provide spark to the spark plug.

Kick starter not in the equation at all.

Its not about the spark, its about the combustion..

Or rather still the crank

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fully Air Conditioned Keke Napep Made In Anambra, Available For Sale In Market. / What's The Difference Between The Engines 1.8L, 2.4L And 3.0L/3.5L? / Where Can I Get Local Government Registration Papers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.