Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,930 members, 7,817,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew (875 Views)

Please My Niece Has Yet To See JAMB Result. / How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? / As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 5:04am On Aug 05, 2016
I currently have my niece who is 9 yes old and starting secondary school next month and her brother who is 7 going to primary 3 next month on holiday with me. While playing with them in discovered they were not good in multiplication and decided to teach them, only to discover that their knowledge Base in mathematics is very poor.
My niece could not answer any questions from the common entrance past questions I gave her, she doesn't know how to solve long multiplication or division, word problems or even roman numerals. At best her level is primary 1. Cos addition in time and money are difficult. I have tried teaching her and discovered she forgets easily. You teach her something she gets it but forgets in an hour.
I have tried discussing with her parents but they don't seem to see it as an issue. They say she knows other subjects but it's only maths she doesn't. Well my interaction with her makes it difficult to believe because even her spellings and use of tenses are sometimes wrong. She comes 2nd position in a class of 8 but I noticed that she seems more comfortable in extracurricular activities like choreography. I'm worried the school which is private just seems to be passing them and not teaching. So house please how do I help then and how do I make their parents see things clearly and not think I'm bad mouthing their children?
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Kakamorufu(m): 5:59am On Aug 05, 2016
Just do ur own best. If u can start 4rm the basics. It wil be better. U can be teaching her in a way she wil like. Like using maths to sing. Since she's gud in extra curicular aktivities
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 6:00am On Aug 05, 2016
This is serious. 9 years and she's already entering secondary school?
She's obviously not yet mentally ready. Like you said, she has the mental capacity of a pry 1 pupil. What kind of primary school is she attending? Because I've noticed that mushroom schools are sprouting everywhere.
And her parents are even making matters worse. Well, you've talked to them and they seem relentless in their decision. They'll see the repercussions of their actions soon. Or you could just explain the situation to your own parents or older siblings so they could talk to them. You don't play with a child's education.
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 6:15am On Aug 05, 2016
It's only in mathematics that she is at primary 1 level. She reads well and interacts well for her age. As per involving family I don't want to create a troubled atmosphere. They came for holiday.
Fabulocity:
She's obviously not yet mentally ready. Like you said, she has the mental capacity of a pry 1 pupil. What kind of primary school is she attending? Because I've noticed that mushroom schools are sprouting everywhere.
And her parents are even making matters worse. Well, you've talked to them and they seem relentless in their decision. They'll see the repercussions of their actions soon. Or you could just explain the situation to your own parents or older siblings so they could talk to them. You don't play with a child's education.
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 6:19am On Aug 05, 2016
I am trying to,but I just realised we spend the whole day studying and they are not grasping. Now they seem scared to watch TV and sorts. I'm wondering if my over doing it,some one was saying they are on holiday and I'm spoiling it for them that they would probably not come again. I actually want what's best for them,but I don't want to seem like I'm overdoing
Kakamorufu:
Just do ur own best. If u can start 4rm the basics. It wil be better. U can be teaching her in a way she wil like. Like using maths to sing. Since she's gud in extra curicular aktivities
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Kakamorufu(m): 6:31am On Aug 05, 2016
mizcyn:
I am trying to,but I just realised we spend the whole day studying and they are not grasping. Now they seem scared to watch TV and sorts. I'm wondering if my over doing it,some one was saying they are on holiday and I'm spoiling it for them that they would probably not come again. I actually want what's best for them,but I don't want to seem like I'm overdoing
one things is, they av only one thing in mind, which is to enjoy their holiday. Let them enjoy it. Buh like 2 hrs a day, teach them some subjects.
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 05, 2016
ok. Thanks
Kakamorufu:
one things is, they av only one thing in mind, which is to enjoy their holiday. Let them enjoy it. Buh like 2 hrs a day, teach them some subjects.
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by GSGN: 4:35pm On Aug 05, 2016
mizcyn:
I currently have my niece who is 9 yes old and starting secondary school next month and her brother who is 7 going to primary 3 next month on holiday with me. While playing with them in discovered they were not good in multiplication and decided to teach them, only to discover that their knowledge Base in mathematics is very poor.
My niece could not answer any questions from the common entrance past questions I gave her, she doesn't know how to solve long multiplication or division, word problems or even roman numerals. At best her level is primary 1. Cos addition in time and money are difficult. I have tried teaching her and discovered she forgets easily. You teach her something she gets it but forgets in an hour.
I have tried discussing with her parents but they don't seem to see it as an issue. They say she knows other subjects but it's only maths she doesn't. Well my interaction with her makes it difficult to believe because even her spellings and use of tenses are sometimes wrong. She comes 2nd position in a class of 8 but I noticed that she seems more comfortable in extracurricular activities like choreography. I'm worried the school which is private just seems to be passing them and not teaching. So house please how do I help then and how do I make their parents see things clearly and not think I'm bad mouthing their children?

She is not completely dull in real sense. What about helping and encouraging her in those extracurricular activities she's comfortable with? If she was by daughter, while i find a better school for her at http://goodschoolsguidenigeria.com/search/try_search/, I will work with her on the natural talents she displays.
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 05, 2016
..... Bro, the best thing to do right now is assess her actual level in mathematics.... I mean, the areas in maths that she's comfortable with.

After that you can then try and teach here more elementary maths stuff... Progressing from simple to complex.

Don't let your teaching be boring, make it fun. Add in a snippet of her extra-curricular activities with it; give her a prize for every test that you pass. You'll be surprised at how fast her intrest will grow in Maths smiley

The only problem is that she'll probably end up as an art student when unable to cope in higher level tho......

Shamesadsadsad
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 05, 2016
Fabulocity:

I entered school at 9 years also; what's your point undecided

The fable regarding mental "readiness" is said only to ensure mediocrity and academic bullying over less enlightened pairs.

I was able to cope on all level in my secondary school. And I floored my waec, Clean!

Your point!!

undecidedundecided
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 05, 2016
It's so obvious you do not understand my post, and you were quick to quote me and tell me whatnot
Mental readiness is not a farce. It's a very pertinent factor when it comes to getting educated. And in Nigeria, it's very common for some schools or some parents to rush their children through school, not minding if indeed the child is ready to move on to the next level.
Your own case is different. Perhaps you were more intellectually sound than an average 9 year old. But the kid in question, according to the original poster, with what she knows, should be in primary one and not secondary school.
So, my point is , she's too young and not mentally ready to be in secondary school. Just because you were able to scale through doesn't mean every other 9 year old should not have any problems doing so. People have different level of intelligence.
SirWere:

I entered school at 9 years also; what's your point undecided

The fable regarding mental "readiness" is said only to ensure mediocrity and academic bullying over less enlightened pairs.

I was able to cope on all level in my secondary school. And I floored my waec, Clean!

Your point!!

undecidedundecided
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 05, 2016
Fabulocity:
It's so obvious you do not understand my post, and you were quick to quote me and tell me whatnot
Mental readiness is not a farce. It's a very pertinent factor when it comes to getting educated. And in Nigeria, it's very common for some schools or some parents to rush their children through school, not minding if indeed the child is ready to move on to the next level.
Your own case is different. Perhaps you were more intellectually sound than an average 9 year old. But the kid in question, according to the original poster, with what she knows, should be in primary one and not secondary school.
So, my point is , she's too young and not mentally ready to be in secondary school. Just because you were able to scale through doesn't mean every other 9 year old should not have any problems doing so. People have different level of intelligence.

Ahh, I see. My bad.

I thought you were one of those hordes who continually assert that age and seniority is all one needs to get through educational institutional.

As much as I understand the mental "readiness" you're talking about, I will assert that it has quite little to do with age and more to do with the educational quality of the primary school. The OP himself said he suspects that the school was just "passing the students through". A good primary school worth its salt would have truly educated it students and ensured they pass. The fault, I believe, goes to the school and has nothing to do with her age.

Once again, I aplogize for jumping off.

Cheers gringringrin
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 05, 2016
The bolded sentence is very accurate
Apologies accepted smiley
SirWere:

Ahh, I see. My bad.

I thought you were one of those hordes who continually assert that age and seniority is all one needs to get through educational institutional.

As much as I understand the mental "readiness" you're talking about, I will assert that it has quite little to do with age and more to do with the educational quality of the primary school. The OP himself said he suspects that the school was just "passing the students through". A good primary school worth its salt would have truly educated it students and ensured they pass. The fault, I believe, goes to the school and has nothing to do with her age.

Once again, I aplogize for jumping off.

Cheers gringringrin
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 05, 2016
Thanks I reward her each time she grasps a task set for her,but I noticed right after that when I ask her to repeat it she forgets it as she can't reproduce it. I have downloaded videos on you tube and even maths learning apps. The problem I'm facing is that she forgets easily so I how do I make her retain more?
SirWere:
..... Bro, the best thing to do right now is assess her actual level in mathematics.... I mean, the areas in maths that she's comfortable with.

After that you can then try and teach here more elementary maths stuff... Progressing from simple to complex.

Don't let your teaching be boring, make it fun. Add in a snippet of her extra-curricular activities with it; give her a prize for every test that you pass. You'll be surprised at how fast her intrest will grow in Maths smiley

The only problem is that she'll probably end up as an art student when unable to cope in higher level tho......

Shamesadsadsad
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 05, 2016
mizcyn:
Thanks I reward her each time she grasps a task set for her,but I noticed right after that when I ask her to repeat it she forgets it as she can't reproduce it. I have downloaded videos on you tube and even maths learning apps. The problem I'm facing is that she forgets easily so I how do I make her retain more?
Rome was not built in a day brother.

All she needs is to practice, pratice practice.

Mathematics is very slippery. The problem with it is that once you show someone examples and ask for solutions; at that moment the person will be able to answer flawlessly.

But later, a week's time or more you'll be shocked to see the person cannot remember anything at all.

That's why you need to continually teach her. Every day, without fail. Gradually, it becomes imbibed in her system and believe me, she will be able to solve questions at a speed that will amaze you.

I'm talking from experience here since I've been the recipient of something similar to this.

And I'm forever grateful to my elder brother who taught me through.

Don't stop brother. Please continue
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 9:31am On Aug 06, 2016
Thanks. I will continue to teach her. BTW I'm female
SirWere:

Rome was not built in a day brother.

All she needs is to practice, pratice practice.

Mathematics is very slippery. The problem with it is that once you show someone examples and ask for solutions; at that moment the person will be able to answer flawlessly.

But later, a week's time or more you'll be shocked to see the person cannot remember anything at all.

That's why you need to continually teach her. Every day, without fail. Gradually, it becomes imbibed in her system and believe me, she will be able to solve questions at a speed that will amaze you.

I'm talking from experience here since I've been the recipient of something similar to this.

And I'm forever grateful to my elder brother who taught me through.

Don't stop brother. Please continue
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 06, 2016
mizcyn:
Thanks. I will continue to teach her. BTW I'm female

You don't say shockedshocked

Chaii, see my life embarassedembarassedembarassed
Re: Please How Do I Help My Niece And Nephew by Feanah(f): 6:26pm On Aug 08, 2016
Nice try OP...I'd recommend you get an abacus in addition to the videos,apps etc.Since,it's something she'll use physically,maybe,it will be of great help.I wish you the best of luck , hope she catches up soon.

(1) (Reply)

Federal University Dustin-ma Post Utme Screening Registration / University Of Jos Permanent Site Library On Fire / Free Membership Registration Of Management Accounting Body For Undergraduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.