Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:09 AM

FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines (13095 Views)

See The Number Of People LASTMA Arrests Daily Over Traffic Offenses / 9 Steps For Payment Of Fines By Traffic Violators – FRSC / LASTMA Traffic Fines Lists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by leTrizzle: 11:27am On Aug 06, 2016
tete7000:
Sorry to say this: Fire extinguisher is a very important and urgent safety equipment. Imagine there has been fire, your mum would have needed to produce it in a jiffy, so it is an offence for her not to know its whereabout. It is not enough to have a fire extinguisher, it must be strategically placed for easy and immediate access in case of fire.

Secondly the FRSC in question didn't extort but gave an official fine. The money paid goes straight into government coffer.

It is an unfortunate incident but let your mum be conversant with where those items are placed before driving her car out. In case of emergency such knowledge might save her and her car.
Spot on Bro, was going to carry out same public enlightenment when I saw your post.

4 Likes

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by davit: 11:47am On Aug 06, 2016
My guide on the road has always been : Never give the original of your documents to any uniformed man on the road. Make sure you have the photocopies as many as possible. If the mama in the story had given the scumbag a photocopy, I am sure OP would have been able to get off the case without any issue.

My 50kobo though.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Image123(m): 11:48am On Aug 06, 2016
tete7000:
Sorry to say this: Fire extinguisher is a very important and urgent safety equipment. Imagine there has been fire, your mum would have needed to produce it in a jiffy, so it is an offence for her not to know its whereabout. It is not enough to have a fire extinguisher, it must be strategically placed for easy and immediate access in case of fire.

Secondly the FRSC in question didn't extort but gave an official fine. The money paid goes straight into government coffer.

It is an unfortunate incident but let your mum be conversant with where those items are placed before driving her car out. In case of emergency such knowledge might save her and her car.

Very true. Even though i don't like our road safety people's way and other uniformed fellows in Nigeria, they are right in this instance.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 06, 2016
The officers seem to have done the right thing. The OP's mum apparently could not produce what was requested of her before she was booked.
Once you are booked, nothing can be done anymore except you pay the stipulated fine.

What we should clamor for now is the introduction of warnings for any 1st time offense, reduced fine for 2nd and ultimate fine thereafter.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by agabaI23(m): 12:38pm On Aug 06, 2016
Somatic:
Lalasticlala come and see snake that looks like Tonto Dike O!

Today, I was at my shed minding my business and trying to prevent the devil from rumpling my destiny when at exactly 3:13pm, I received a call. The frenzied voice at the other end, my mother's. She claimed the FRSC then stationed a few meters to her home were holding her on her inability to produce for them, her warning triangle and her triangle extinguisher. I tried my best to guide her towards where the items were kept, however she succeeded in getting out the triangle sans extinguisher.

Drove to the scene with a colleague to discover that they have let her go. Only after booking her irreversibly and seizing her license accordingly. My much calmer colleague pleaded that they reverse the charge bearing in mind that it was done in error. They admitted the error but turned to blame their error on my mum's inability to know the whereabouts of her particulars. I asked if any of them if they helped her search, seeing she couldn't get it. Instead, one Emmanuel Baka said my mother annoyed him by sitting in the car and making calls instead of getting out to beg.

Called mum to come back to scene to confirm their claims. She asked them to their face to deny that she begged them, each and every one. She begged that she leave the car with them and walk home to seek out the 'truant extinguisher'. She begged they allow me come before taking action. She used every old lady sentiment on them. And yet they didn't budge. The Emmanuel guy said the charge is irreversible and she has to pay. His "consolation", rather than pay within the two week ultimatum, my mum has "an extended grace period" of 1 month to pay the fine or get charged to court. Meanwhile her driver's license had been seized already. I ranted and raved. Mum and colleague begged and pleaded. FRSC Maraban Jos Kaduna unit did not budge. Apparently TGIF returns does cloud proper sense of reasoning and judgement. The amount(3,000) is not much. How ever, the unfairness and injustice of it all..... I can't explain. He even threatened to add obstruction of duty to the already existing charges if we do not leave his presence. And yours truly dared him to.

Meanwhile right before them, a bad driver was reported and an accident occurred. Unofficial PRO Emmanuel Baka maintained that first they are mandated not to act on citizen information, and the accident was "not within his jurisdiction". So extortion is within his jurisdiction, I queried. I do not know if the uniform by Nigerian law enforcement provides cover for all sorts of impunity. However, if it is so, through this platform, Emmanuel Baka and FRSC Birnin Yero Unit, Maraban Jos and their likes may learn the proper use of the uniform on their backs and the office that they hold.

I just concluded a similar case.
Write a petition against him.
Address it to the sector commander of your state.
Submit it by hand and get a them to sign on a duplicate that they collected it.
You will get justice trust me.

I had a crack on my wind shield that had nothing to do with my vision or the vision of anyone on passengers seat.
The crack was caused by an overzealous Police officer. I was begged to let him go by other officers.

For cosmetic reasons, I wanted to remove it. I already called the dealer and i was given a quotation and I showed the guy.
I showed him the bill I just paid for other things that were part of a make over triggered by the incidence.
He refused.
He booked me. I was furious not because of 2k. I was furious because I did not understand what he was meant to achieve with the booking. I told him I was going to court.

I drove into a nearby RSafety school and the officer there was like, did he ask you for money and you refused. He said I should go to court that it was malicious booking.
All the officers from other units that saw the crack were all like he should not have esp as I explained to him.
[b]One said I should go and pay and avoid the stress after all over 200 thousand people are booked unjustly everyday and they pa[/b]y.

I contacted the laywer who advised that the stress is much as busy person that I should write a complaint letter and see how it goes.

The summary is that the guy was brought to face me and he started lying and fidgeting.

The woman scolded him severely.

So just write a complaint and make your case clear.

It may take some time out of you but you will achieve one thing, he will never do that again.
Some of the guys out there are intoxicated by the uniform and the public has to stand up to them.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by agabaI23(m): 12:40pm On Aug 06, 2016
0rex:
The officers seem to have done the right thing. The OP's mum apparently could not produce what was requested of her before she was booked.
Once you are booked, nothing can be done anymore except you pay the stipulated fine.

What we should clamor for now is the introduction of warnings for any 1st time offense, reduced fine for 2nd and ultimate fine thereafter.
Not true, if you book unjustly, the officer is made to pay for the booking himself.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by chucif: 1:37pm On Aug 06, 2016
When padding is not an offence and stealing is not corruption. Hmmm, God help us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 06, 2016
agabaI23:
Not true, if you book unjustly, the officer is made to pay for the booking himself.
Yes. But is there injustice in the OP's case? She apparently could not provide the items before she was booked which one can argue is a reasonable amount of time.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by agabaI23(m): 1:45pm On Aug 06, 2016
0rex:

Yes. But is there injustice in the OP's case? She apparently could not provide the items before she was booked which one can argue is a reasonable amount of time.
Why was he in a haste to book an elderly woman who begged to allow her time to get it?
Is it not about road safety again? Was he not supposed as a safety officer to help her check for it?

No he wanted to book so that he will get credit for being effective at the expense of the public.
It is about promotion and commendation.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by balingaonline(m): 1:57pm On Aug 06, 2016
they are thieves with certificate.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by udatso: 2:00pm On Aug 06, 2016
Dexter247:

I wonder if you have this thing called sense undecided
Clearly he doesn't
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by mank1234(m): 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2016
0rex:

Have you considered that the extinguisher could've been placed in a not easy to locate place by may be her mechanic?

Let me tell you a story: I was on a journey and my tire got punctured. I changed the tire, along the road, I met these guys and they wanted to book me for not having a functional spare tire. I challenged them that that I have a spare tire and that I just replaced one and that when I get to where it can be worked on I'll work on it. I talked politely, but he insisted that it is an offence. While we were on this I was recording our conversation. It wasn't until I told him that our conversation is on record and that if he book me that I'll not pay and I'll go ahead and press charges. It was then and only then he realised his folly.

If you were in my shoe, with a flat tire having just done a replacement, what would you have done? Accept to pay because you couldn't produced a good tire as at that time?

1 Like

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by benpuzzy(m): 3:51pm On Aug 06, 2016
Op! just report this case to The Due Process Advocates and Mr. Emmanuel Baka will come begging you for forgiveness
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Chibzee2: 4:44pm On Aug 06, 2016
Don't let this slide man.
If you can't get them on the ticket, try to get them on the unattended accident scene.
I'm serious. .... get a good lawyer
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Chibzee2: 4:51pm On Aug 06, 2016
All of you saying that they are right in this instance aren't entirely correct.
What about the accident call they failed to respond to because of jurisdiction cock and bull story
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by ibliz(m): 6:02pm On Aug 06, 2016
Also had a similar experience on that same road. I presented my papers, triangle &fire extinguisher but unknown to me, one of my papers (vehicle licence) had expired 5days earlier. Without saying a word to me, the FRSC guy Argungu Mansur Saidu went into their van and printed me a 3k bill. I was mad. It was then he explained that my vehicle licence expired 5days ago.
What pained me wasn't the 3k I had to pay but the sheer wickedness and lack of professionalism in carrying out the job which I told him. A civilised human being would have called my attention to the singular paper that had expired and book me if necessary. It was then he started begging and told me that it was because I didn't beg. "BEG U"This got me more furious.
Before i left, Showed him my work ID and told him God will also bring him to my office 1 day to this he had the nerve to tell me no need for that as we are now friends and even asking for my number. Drove away left them to karma.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by yarimo(m): 6:56pm On Aug 06, 2016
decency123:
This one you snapped evrything, are u planning on taking him to court or reporting him.... buh to who?mehn just Pay the 3k and forget the issue
kikikiki is like you're the driver of that FRSC car abi grin
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by yarimo(m): 6:58pm On Aug 06, 2016
korel9:
So wey the snake nah? So wey the snake nah? undecided
oga is like when you wake up u didn't take your drugs abi? grin
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by 9icetoo(m): 10:36pm On Aug 06, 2016
tete7000:

the issue of enforcing fire extinguishers in cars is really silly to me. I will ask you a few questions;
1. is she trained to fight fires?
2. is it her duty to fight fires?
3. if she misjudges the intensity of a fire and gets injured or worse trying to fight a fire she wasn't trained to fight, will FRSC provide adequate compensation?
4. if a fire starts in the boot of your car (where your extinguisher is), do you open the boot to get out your extinguisher?

in an emergency(fire), you are advised to move away (from the fire) to safety.

fire extinguishers, first aid kits, torch light, towing rope, spare tire and reflective jackets are essential but not mandatory items in a car. FRSC is so wrong penalising people for not having some of these things.

some cars come with run flats and do not space for spare tires. some cars do not have trunks and little or no space for fire extinguishers and will burn so fast your tiny extinguisher will be useless.

I carry all I listed above for my own peace of mind but not because FRSC said so.

I hate those guys.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by 9icetoo(m): 10:50pm On Aug 06, 2016
agabaI23:

I just concluded a similar case.
Write a petition against him.
Address it to the sector commander of your state.
Submit it by hand and get a them to sign on a duplicate that they collected it.
You will get justice trust me.

I had a crack on my wind shield that had nothing to do with my vision or the vision of anyone on passengers seat.
The crack was caused by an overzealous Police officer. I was begged to let him go by other officers.

For cosmetic reasons, I wanted to remove it. I already called the dealer and i was given a quotation and I showed the guy.
I showed him the bill I just paid for other things that were part of a make over triggered by the incidence.
He refused.
He booked me. I was furious not because of 2k. I was furious because I did not understand what he was meant to achieve with the booking. I told him I was going to court.

I drove into a nearby RSafety school and the officer there was like, did he ask you for money and you refused. He said I should go to court that it was malicious booking.
All the officers from other units that saw the crack were all like he should not have esp as I explained to him.
[b]One said I should go and pay and avoid the stress after all over 200 thousand people are booked unjustly everyday and they pa[/b]y.

I contacted the laywer who advised that the stress is much as busy person that I should write a complaint letter and see how it goes.

The summary is that the guy was brought to face me and he started lying and fidgeting.

The woman scolded him severely.

So just write a complaint and make your case clear.

It may take some time out of you but you will achieve one thing, he will never do that again.
Some of the guys out there are intoxicated by the uniform and the public has to stand up to them.

keep it up.
its about time we stopped swallowing rubbish in this country.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by tete7000(m): 6:32am On Aug 07, 2016
9icetoo:

the issue of enforcing fire extinguishers in cars is really silly to me. I will ask you a few questions;
1. is she trained to fight fires?
2. is it her duty to fight fires?
3. if she misjudges the intensity of a fire and gets injured or worse trying to fight a fire she wasn't trained to fight, will FRSC provide adequate compensation?
4. if a fire starts in the boot of your car (where your extinguisher is), do you open the boot to get out your extinguisher?

in an emergency(fire), you are advised to move away (from the fire) to safety.

fire extinguishers, first aid kits, torch light, towing rope, spare tire and reflective jackets are essential but not mandatory items in a car. FRSC is so wrong penalising people for not having some of these things.

some cars come with run flats and do not space for spare tires. some cars do not have trunks and little or no space for fire extinguishers and will burn so fast your tiny extinguisher will be useless.

I carry all I listed above for my own peace of mind but not because FRSC said so.

I hate those guys.

Well all I can tell you is that I ve been a safety officer for an ocean going vessel before and I currently work in the same capacity as a building engineer. On both duty we recommend and design fire extinguishers and the fact is those things require the leasst of skill to operate. Everyone who carries them is expected to make themselves conversant with them, they do save lives and I have seen them did that.

As regards the part you asked what happen if the fire starts from the booth,most times the fire starts from the bonnet, in the engine. Also the fire extinguisher is like a first aid kit - first line of fire defence. You said if f ire starts she should move away? On that I disagree, her car is her asset, if. Fire starts she is adjudged a rationale being and she is expected to asses the situation and acts in the best possible way. Besides, she is not necessarily the person to use the extinguisher and She can find a willing passerby to help but that help will only be rendered if she carries her necessary safety kit.

I am not equally a friend or fan of road safety guys mainly because rather than focus on enforcing the safety part of their work, they seem to be carried away with percunary aspect of it like many other nigerian agencies thus creating too much burden for people rather than making them aware of their safety and how to safeguard it. I have all they require in my car but still avoid them as much as I can. I know where they stand on my routes and except it is absolutely necessary I avoid them. Notwithstanding when I do meet them (which has happened couple of times) they don't give me trouble because I prepare for them..

On a final note as much as those guys can be nuisance due to their Nigerian nature, many aspects of their job is to lay minimum safety standard down for us. We all need to read and get ourselves conversant with those safety guides for our good. We can't throw away bad baby with water. I have seen fire extinguisher safe people's cars and I have seen car that could have been saved burnt because of lack of it. So on this one, they are right.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Somatic(m): 2:02pm On Aug 07, 2016
Thank you all for analysing this incident as dispassionately as you should. For those who think my mother "deliberately" failed to produce the items prior to her booking, I wish to raise a few pointers.

When she called me about the items, I told her where to go get the triangle and the extinguisher. The triangle was located at a recess on the right hand side, the extinguisher besides the spare tire. The boot floor covers that. That's how the car came.

Seeing that she couldn't get around it, I told her to get any of their personnel help get out the items. They refused to take her phone. Saying they had booked her already. By then, she had found the triangle, but couldn't get to lift the floor board.

Upon getting there, I queried them as to why the rush to book seeing that she told them I was coming to get out the items as well as try going to the house to seek it. I asked them with their experience in vehicle matters, they wouldn't have pointed out to Mum where these things are supposed to be. Oga Emmanuel asserted that they were not obligated to do that. But they are obligated to fine her unjustly. She was wearing her seatbelt, her parking lights were on cause of the rain, she wasn't going fast. Her offense; stopping to be interrogated by the FRSC.

We are all service personnel one way or the other. If I "convincingly" commit an offense, sanction me appropriately. Not speculatively. Again, on realizing the error, they would have had two choices. Either cancel the booking or bear the cost of payment. And for option 2, I honestly was open to negotiation, after all who doesn't make mistakes? But to pay in full for someone else's error when I'm not Jesus? Haba!

I have decided on some action to take even as I appreciate the options given to me here. I am willing to explore all legal avenues on this matter to ensure that I be the last person in Kaduna and hopefully Nigeria this sort of injustice by the FRSC happens to.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by 9icetoo(m): 5:14pm On Aug 07, 2016
Somatic:
Thank you all for analysing this incident as dispassionately as you should. For those who think my mother "deliberately" failed to produce the items prior to her booking, I wish to raise a few pointers.

When she called me about the items, I told her where to go get the triangle and the extinguisher. The triangle was located at a recess on the right hand side, the extinguisher besides the spare tire. The boot floor covers that. That's how the car came.

Seeing that she couldn't get around it, I told her to get any of their personnel help get out the items. They refused to take her phone. Saying they had booked her already. By then, she had found the triangle, but couldn't get to lift the floor board.

Upon getting there, I queried them as to why the rush to book seeing that she told them I was coming to get out the items as well as try going to the house to seek it. I asked them with their experience in vehicle matters, they wouldn't have pointed out to Mum where these things are supposed to be. Oga Emmanuel asserted that they were not obligated to do that. But they are obligated to fine her unjustly. She was wearing her seatbelt, her parking lights were on cause of the rain, she wasn't going fast. Her offense; stopping to be interrogated by the FRSC.

We are all service personnel one way or the other. If I "convincingly" commit an offense, sanction me appropriately. Not speculatively. Again, on realizing the error, they would have had two choices. Either cancel the booking or bear the cost of payment. And for option 2, I honestly was open to negotiation, after all who doesn't make mistakes? But to pay in full for someone else's error when I'm not Jesus? Haba!

I have decided on some action to take even as I appreciate the options given to me here. I am willing to explore all legal avenues on this matter to ensure that I be the last person in Kaduna and hopefully Nigeria this sort of injustice by the FRSC happens to.

sue them to smithereens. I dey ur back. they did not even consider the fact she was a senior citizen. they did not even bother to help her locate it even when you offered to do that via the pictures phone.
bunch of idiots.
no judge will rule this case ever in their favor.
they should be merged with VIO.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by ztexology: 9:43pm On Aug 16, 2016
This is false accusation.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:58pm On Aug 16, 2016
ztexology:
This is false accusation.

you are late, but we are listening.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. / What's Your Favourite Car Name/s? / 5 Ways Your Car Tyres Will Help You Save On Petrol During This Recession.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.