Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,466 members, 7,826,771 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Help Improve My Knowledge("api") - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help Improve My Knowledge("api") (1037 Views)

Improve Your Web Skill In 2018 / [php Tutorial] - Building A Rest Api / Yii2 Rest API Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Improve My Knowledge("api") by Mckayce(m): 2:07pm On Aug 06, 2016
PLEASE guys what is API
..// Pardon my ignorance
please i do cone across this term API , what is it .. please explain like as if you are explaining to a learner..
STating examples to JAVA and PHP...
THANKS in advance
Re: Help Improve My Knowledge("api") by talk2hb1(m): 2:53pm On Aug 06, 2016
Application Programming Interface
Re: Help Improve My Knowledge("api") by 4kings: 2:57pm On Aug 06, 2016
Mckayce:
PLEASE guys what is API
..// Pardon my ignorance
please i do cone across this term API , what is it .. please explain like as if you are explaining to a learner..
THANKS in advance
I don't really know java or anything abt php, I am a Python guy.
API is like an intermediary that links two softwares.
Just like your Samsung phone getting info from a GPS company, through the GPS app.
Or u reaching out to nairaland through Google.
I hope that's simple enough.
Re: Help Improve My Knowledge("api") by Codenister: 9:45pm On Aug 06, 2016
Mckayce:
PLEASE guys what is API
..// Pardon my ignorance
THANKS in advance
API (application programming interface) is a means by which programs (software) communicate (and exchange data between one another).
Look at php a d MySQL for example,
Php provides you with an interface to connect to the MySQL database server by using the
mysqli_connect
(and it's related functions).

You making use of that function, you don't have to worry yourself about how the actual connection process is implemented, all you just have to do is call the available interface, and boom, you are in.

Imagine again, you are creating a website that shows current weather, you don't have to worry yourself about how to get weather information and etc, all you just have to do is - look for another platform that specifically offers this information, check out their API (if they have one), call the API, and kapish!!! You have the weather information to display on your site.

Like that like that like that...
Re: Help Improve My Knowledge("api") by sharrp: 10:08pm On Aug 06, 2016
Api= application programming interface.
Forget that big name, it is just a way for computers to interact with computers . that is program A can interact with program B.
Interaction between humans and computer is so easy due to our visual ability . you can click on any link and get what u want. Turns out that such activity is not easy between computers . how do u make program A interact with program D. For a vivid example how does that app that claims to show ur mafia family know who r ur friends on Facebook . the answer is through fb api.
Api appear in Two forms. XML and JSON. Most api r of Jason type . e.g
{"Name": " user 1",
"Age": 30}
That is how a json api looks like.
Have u ever seen google map on a site not owned by google?. Chances are u have. It was possible due to the site interacting with google map api. Hope u dig

1 Like

Re: Help Improve My Knowledge("api") by SUGARSON(m): 7:41am On Aug 07, 2016
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THIS API STUFF SINCE BUT HAVEN'T GOT ANYWHERE.

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR EXPLANATIONS.

Gute Arbeit dort oben.
Re: Help Improve My Knowledge("api") by Mckayce(m): 10:28am On Aug 07, 2016
Thanks guys.... ALL WELL... but hw do i generate an API for a particular web
Re: Help Improve My Knowledge("api") by sharrp: 6:38pm On Aug 07, 2016
Mckayce:
Thanks guys.... ALL WELL... but hw do i generate an API for a particular web
thier is a concept called restful api. where you design a web app to be api like. most single page apps are api like. google is your friend

(1) (Reply)

Finally, A Solution To Programming / How To Change Mac Address In Windows. / How Do U Manage Your Upwork Or Other Freelancing Account As A Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.