Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. (554 Views)

When Can I Use:- Will, Would / Shall, Should / Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] / Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Toluwani113: 3:52pm On Aug 06, 2016
When to use "will" or "would" in a sentence

Many of us are always confused on when to use either "will" or "would" in a sentence. Whenever we replace any of the words with another, it makes the sentence to become unenglish. I.e grammatically incorrect

NB. None of us can boast of knowing it all when it comes to Use Of English (even majority of the so called English natives can't boast of knowing it all) Why ? Because learning is continous. So, let's learn a new thing today.

A. When to use 'will'

i. To express something that will happen in the future.
As in: It will be Independence Day tomorrow

ii. To express an instant decision
As in: My Mum is coming, I will go and mewt her

iii. To request for something
e.g: Will you check your results today ?

iv. To promise, predict, or offer
e.g: I will always care for you
Don't trust Bola, she will always lie to you
Can't do the task alone ? Don't worry I will come and assist you

v. To express an open condition
e.g: He will visit you on Monday if the weather is good.

vi. to talk about what people want to do or are
willing to do
As in: My Uncle will buy her a car

vii. to make promises and offers.
As in: I will meet you there.

B. When to Use 'would'

Would is the past tense form of will . Therefore, it is used:

i. to talk about the past.
e.g: The Electrician said he would complete the task next day.

ii. To express a half opened or closed condition
e.g: He would visit you on Monday if the weather was/were good.(half-opened condition)
He would have visited you on Monday if the weather had been good (closed condition)

iii. To show politeness
e.g would you give me the money, please ?

iv. To make an offer
e.g: would you like a sandwich

v. To make a request
e.g: I would like to have 3 bags of rice

vi. To make a wish/plan
e.g: I would love to learn web design very well

vii. To make a preference
e.g: I would rarher drink a cup of water than coffee now

Hope you learn a new thing today ? Please share

http://dailyschoolgist..com/2016/08/when-to-use-will-or-would-in-sentence.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by ashewoboy(m): 4:03pm On Aug 06, 2016
I think lalasticlala should CUM here, what do you think?

(1) (Reply)

My Candid Advice To University Aspirants / Neco Co-ordination Is Here / Makeup And Photography Master Training In Abuja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.