Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,237 members, 7,811,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) (6057 Views)

7 Reasons Why Married Men Sleep With Their House Helps / Nurse Helps Deliver A Baby On A Train In Lagos (Photo) / About House Helps: Work Schedules, Limits/Chores;Please Share Your Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by verabetsy(f): 11:53am On Aug 07, 2016
Keywords: househelp, maid, domestic servants, nanny, good treatment, children, school.

HOW BEST TO TREAT YOUR HOUSE-HELP

1. Enroll her in the same school with your children: The best thing you can do for your house-help is to enroll her in the same school with your biological children, be it private or government school. There is a saying that what is good for the goose is also good for the gander. The first step in maltreating housemaids is sending them in a school different from the school of the master/mistress. If truly you want to show compassion to your maid, start with this.

2. Get good clothes for him/her: Let no one differentiate between your children and your house-help by mere looking at their dresses. While shopping for clothes, shop for your housemaid too. He/she needs to look good.

3. Provide good shelter for her: Shelter does not only mean living in your house, making sure he/she sleeps on a good foam, sleeps under mosquito net, and in a well-ventilated room is also part of providing shelter for her. Some house-helps are given rooms in a place that can only be reserved for animals and yet the mistress feels she has done nothing wrong to the child.

4. Give her good food: The food you eat should be the food he/she eats. Some people are good at feeding their house-help with soured and left -over food. Some madams go as far as ensuring that the children of the family eat first before the house-help to hedge against food wastage by turning the house-help to dog. Please Ma/Sir; give her warm food just like your children!

5. Play with her sometimes: If you want to know how wicked some people are, go to their house and watch how they treat their house-help. The same way you play with your children, also play with your house-help sometimes to make her feel human too. It is not every time that you have to shout at your house assistance to drive home the point that you are the boss and she the sub-ordinate. Every human sometimes in life have the need to feel belonged.

6. Let her get close to her family: The truth is when you treat your house-help right, there is no need to be scared of taking her to her family house. The major reason people fear to take their maid to their family house is because of maltreatment. They are afraid that they maid may not be ready to follow them back to their house should they set their foot in their family house. The truth is if the maid looks well taking care of, the parents will encourage her to follow you back even if she decides not to follow you as a result of being a child.

7. Let your children respect her self-worth: have you ever been to a house and see a seven year old child calling a grown-up housemaid by her name and talking to her as if they are mates? The parents encouraged that. Teach your children how to respect your house-help. The respect accorded to them by your children can also extend to you because children who talk to their maid anyhow might one day talk to you the parents the same manner.

8. Put yourself in her shoe sometimes: As a human, we do forget things, fall sick, get tired etc. so why beat your domestic assistance up because he/she forgot one or two chores you assigned her? When he said that he is tired, can you try and understand for once? When she said that she is feeling sick, get her some drugs and allow her to take some rest. All these things may seem trivial but are very crucial in dealing with other people’s children.

9. Show her love: One would wonder whether all that have been written above is not love. This point come to show you that they content in this write-up is not exhaustive. Just apply the golden rule principle in your dealing with your house assistance. Do anything that keep him/her happy while protecting your interest and that of your family.

I know this article is prone to criticism that house-helps should be avoided in totality as people see it as a child abuse but before you criticize, not the following points:

- This article is focused on house-helps and not nannies. Therefore it is assumed that the people who are regarded as house-helps here are children who are mostly below the age of eighteen.

- The reason for taking a house-help is not necessary because the person taking in the maid needs domestic assistance, but sometimes, it could be to help the child either due to large family size, poor family background, and divorce of parents or in worst case, the death of either or both parents. As you can see, some cases actually warrant taking in a maid or a foster daughter as many refer to it. You may not necessary call her maid but in as much as she/he is not your biological child but is living in the same room with you then everything written here is applicable to you.

Below are the pictures of my sister with her little daughter and her foster daughter

1 Like

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by propzncribz: 11:56am On Aug 07, 2016
You mean that small girl is a househelp?

14 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 07, 2016
I can only see two little sweet girls.
The house help must be a ghost worker.

21 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Nobody: 12:02pm On Aug 07, 2016
I'm wondering oh
propzncribz:

3 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by malikombi(m): 12:10pm On Aug 07, 2016
Some House help doesn't deserve all these...........majority of them can be wicked ehn........ you will definitely know this from day1.....I'm a living witness

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by BuscadoCEO(m): 12:19pm On Aug 07, 2016
You are right but wrong if that if that little girl is a house help because that is absolutely child abuse. It would have been better to address her as an adopted daughter than a house help.

5 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by propzncribz: 12:20pm On Aug 07, 2016
Fabulocity:
I'm wondering oh

That's really pathetic.

1 Like

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by verabetsy(f): 12:21pm On Aug 07, 2016
propzncribz:

The answer to your question is capital YES.

only if you can take your time and read the article.

for the fact that you are asking has driven home my point that you can actually treat your house help right that people cannot differentiate between him/her and your children.

Check my own definition of househelp and the reasons people take in househelps.

That girl's parents have too many children than they can cater for thus my sister has to come in to assist.

4 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by propzncribz: 12:26pm On Aug 07, 2016
verabetsy:

for the fact that you are asking has driven home my point that you can actually treat your house help right that people cannot differentiate between him/her and your children.

That girl's parents have too many children than they can cater for thus my sister has to come in to assist.

OK so she's not a househelp then, she's an adopted child or a foster child.

10 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by verabetsy(f): 12:27pm On Aug 07, 2016
Furiosa:
I can only see two little sweet girls. The house help must be a ghost worker.
Definitely, it is two sweet girls that are in the post

2 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by verabetsy(f): 12:32pm On Aug 07, 2016
BuscadoCEO:
You are right but wrong if that if that little girl is a house help because that is absolutely child abuse. It would have been better to address her as an adopted daughter than a house help.

if you have had qualification upto first degree, you should be able to know that some terms are defined by the author or researcher and not based on any ones definition.

I knew this argument will come up thus I took time to give my own definition of househelp and possible alternative reasons people take in househelp

can you do me a favour please by reading the article.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by verabetsy(f): 12:35pm On Aug 07, 2016
malikombi:
Some House help doesn't deserve all these...........majority of them can be wicked ehn........ you will definitely know this from day1.....I'm a living witness

you maybe right.

but the same way we have stubborn children, that's the same way we also have "wicked" (in your own words) househelp but that doesn't call for generalization.

Treat her right and let her conscience judge her

5 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by verabetsy(f): 12:36pm On Aug 07, 2016
propzncribz:

That's really pathetic.

Nah, not what you think

read the post!

2 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by BuscadoCEO(m): 12:46pm On Aug 07, 2016
verabetsy:

if you have had qualification upto first degree, you should be able to know that some terms are defined by the author or researcher and not based on any ones definition.

I knew this argument will come up thus I took time to give my own definition of househelp and possible alternative reasons people take in househelp

The first sentence you made here should be attributed to you on the ground that you used the word house help and that is why I quoted it was best you had said an adopted daughter because that's what your explanation totally means. Don't get me wrong and think am trying to discredit or argue with you in any way NO. I just think the word house help you used isn't right for the good job you are doing for the little girl who already seems more like your daughter.

2 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by taryour(f): 12:53pm On Aug 07, 2016
Wow nice write up. very cool BUT number 1 though. Depending on family size and pocket size too. the maid can be in a very good school as well but I doubt a lot will want them in same school, only few will let such.

Can't do maid ish, not now, not yet, maybe in 15 years sha. (confused). not very easy though.

2 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by propzncribz: 1:21pm On Aug 07, 2016
verabetsy:

Nah, not what you think

read the post!

I did and I'm confused. Is that small girl a house girl?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Nobody: 6:33pm On Aug 07, 2016
propzncribz:

I did and I'm confused. Is that small girl a house girl?

Obviously nah . . . Nigeians are hypocrites! ! It's okay to take such an young child away from her parents and give her the title 'house help' as far as you are dressing her right. Forgetting that it's morally wrong to make a child of that age work for ANY reason.

See OP looking down her nose on others when in any sane country she and her sister will be in jail right now for child abuse!

Point of correction, NOTHING justifies using such a child as a maid. Even if you give her heaven and beyond . . . . You're not her mother and can never be. Please send her back home to be raised by the woman who bore and nursed her. Find the a teenager if you must, but that girl is way too young to be a maid!

9 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Nobody: 6:40pm On Aug 07, 2016
verabetsy:

Assist in exchange for her doing domestic chores abi? So it's not like your sister is doing her any favours. It's quid pro quo!

That's the point, it's not right. your sister can still help without turning her into a maid and making her carry her bags in public. If she wants to adopt the little girl, let her do just that and get herself a domestic aid with enough maturity to decide if she wants to work.

That child is too young to defend herself against any abuse.

6 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Swissheart(f): 7:26pm On Aug 07, 2016
It is obvious the girl is bn taken proper care of however it doesn't justify the fact that a minor,as tender as that is your maid or better still your servant. Drive your point home Sis but not like you are blowing some trumpets. She lives with you,you are doing your best for her(it is obvious)but pls don't say it elsewhere that she is your house help not even to preach kindness

7 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by JustHere2Observ(f): 8:10pm On Aug 07, 2016
Why will anyone employ a child as a maid? Its every shade of wrong, child labour is wrong no matter how you try to paint it by sending the kid to school and all. Employ an adult, if you want to help another child dont do with the condition that she is a maid.

2 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by JustHere2Observ(f): 8:17pm On Aug 07, 2016
I dont know where you got your own definition of house help oo but on the internet I have this:

1 Like

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Yoyostic: 8:30pm On Aug 07, 2016
wrong choice of word,with that little girl I saw above, 'ward' would have been preferable. Nice write up though.
Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by cococandy(f): 8:16am On Aug 08, 2016
Nigerians will never get it. What's wrong is normal to us.

Stop employing little children.

2 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 6:53pm On Aug 08, 2016
verabetsy:

My friend, that girl is too small.
Tell your relation to get an older girl and take care of her instead

1 Like

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Kaira333: 8:14pm On Aug 08, 2016
Oooooooo some people sef, please Op, if actually dat girl is very comfortable in ur sister's house as she looks good in those pics, definetly ur sister is trying and should pls continue in dat manner. Don't mind those hypocrites dat are everywhere typing trash. Most of them don't understand d predicament of some children born into poor homes where they turn into prostitutes and arm robbers out of faustrations.

3 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by verabetsy(f): 8:02am On Aug 10, 2016
Kaira333:
Oooooooo some people sef, please Op, if actually dat girl is very comfortable in ur sister's house as she looks good in those pics, definetly ur sister is trying and should pls continue in dat manner. Don't mind those hypocrites dat are everywhere typing trash. Most of them don't understand d predicament of some children born into poor homes where they turn into prostitutes and arm robbers out of faustrations.

thank you so much. At least, for once someone has reasoned with me. I think the problem I made is referring to the girl as househelp, which I have modified right now.

Nigerians are hypocrites and live in self-denial. some of my siblings grew up in my aunties' house and I don't see anything wrong with it.

most people that were raised by their biological parents still grew up ruffians and rascals.

The good people of Nairaland left all the good points I enumerated in the post to attack the harmless pictures I attached with the post.

let me summarize the whole write up in a single sentence for lazy readers and quick-to-condemn fellas

The essence of this post is "TREAT ANYBODY LIVING WITH YOU LIKE YOUR OWN WHETHER THE PERSON(S) IS/ARE YOUR CHILD/CHILDREN
Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by ehix89(m): 9:16am On Aug 10, 2016
verabetsy:

Definitely, it is two sweet girls that are in the post
Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Acidosis(m): 11:00am On Aug 10, 2016
Again, the craze about househelps won't end in this country.

Treat your house help the same way you would treat your employees.

Take it or leave it, YOU cannot love your house help more than your FAMILY. No employer loves his employees more than his family. My family comes first over any house help, PA or manager. In fact buy them (househelp & your children) same ankara, deep down, we all know who you LOVE more.

The only thing we should fight against is CHILD LABOUR. Any adult should be free to take any house help job and be proud about it, the same way graduates proudly carry the 'PA' title. If you want to work, WORK! Do not expect your employer to love you more than his family (I WON'T). And to the employees, PA, or Househelp, you have a family too, love them more over your job. Do not kill yourself over a job, if you receive bad treatments, RESIGN.

Enough on the house help craze already. Nobody will love anybody more than himself/herself. Do your job, and get paid, mess up and GO!

The earlier we see HOUSEHELP as a JOB, the easier it will be to get over this hypocritical disposition to a normal, usual and paid job.

Meanwhile, I STRONGLY condemn CHILD LABOUR. What I see here is CHILD Labour, if she isn't related to you in anyway, ADOPT her legally or employ an adult who IS READY TO WORK & GET PAID.

Ankara is not the reward for a job well done. Pay an adult MONEY and let him/her decide on what to do with the payment.

5 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Kaira333: 6:11pm On Aug 10, 2016
Acidosis:

Take it or leave it, YOU cannot love your house help more than your FAMILY. No employer loves his employees more than his family. My family comes first over any house help, PA or manager. In fact buy them (househelp & your children) same ankara, deep down, we all know who you LOVE more.

The only thing we should fight against is CHILD LABOUR. Any adult should be free to take any house help job and be proud about it, the same way graduates proudly carry the 'PA' title. If you want to work, WORK! Do not expect your employer to love you more than his family (I WON'T). And to the employees, PA, or Househelp, you have a family too, love them more over your job. Do not kill yourself over a job, if you receive bad treatments, RESIGN.

Enough on the house help craze already. Nobody will love anybody more than himself/herself. Do your job, and get paid, mess up and GO!

The earlier we see HOUSEHELP as a JOB, the easier it will be to get over this hypocritical disposition to a normal, usual and paid job.

Meanwhile, I STRONGLY condemn CHILD LABOUR. What I see here is CHILD Labour, if she isn't related to you in anyway, ADOPT her legally or employ an adult who IS READY TO WORK & GET PAID.

Ankara is not the reward for a job well done. Pay an adult MONEY and let him/her decide on what to do with the payment.
Hahahahahah u people can make nonsense comments eee. Take it or leave it some children are more responsible if they are trained by someone else. Believe me there are some people who can love someone's child dsame way they love their own kids.( Eg I) its a thing of hrt. Not everybody is wicked and hrtless as u think.

What is not acceptable in my sight and in d sight of God is maltreating ur ward (house help, errand boy bla bla bla etc.) Some parents die when their kids are too tender, ( may dat Neva be our portion in Jesus name) are u now saying people shouldn't take them into their homes or what?
Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by taryour(f): 6:22pm On Aug 10, 2016
Acidosis:

Chisus..... choi, you can type epistle for Africa. smh
Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Acidosis(m): 6:57pm On Aug 10, 2016
Kaira333:
Hahahahahah u people can make nonsense comments eee. Take it or leave it some children are more responsible if they are trained by someone else. Believe me there are some people who can love someone's child dsame way they love their own kids.( Eg I) its a thing of hrt. Not everybody is wicked and hrtless as u think.

What is not acceptable in my sight and in d sight of God is maltreating ur ward (house help, errand boy bla bla bla etc.) Some parents die when their kids are too tender, ( may dat Neva be our portion in Jesus name) are u now saying people shouldn't take them into their homes or what?

Iffahear say you love someone else's pikin more or same way you love your blood. There are certain things and sacrifices you can only make for your son/daughter.

Meanwhile, let's get this straight, training another man's son/daughter is completely different from hiring a maid.

The question is: how many people adopt these kids for the purposes of training ONLY?

2 Likes

Re: How Best To Treat House-helps (photos) by Acidosis(m): 7:02pm On Aug 10, 2016
taryour:

Chisus..... choi, you can type epistle for Africa. smh
grin grin grin lemme grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Perks Of Being A Lastborn / Can I Survive This Marriage / My Wife Betrayed My Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.