Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,564 members, 7,840,333 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M (19375 Views)

How Much Is Needed To Open A Standard Barbing Salon? / Hi Guys Is 1m Naira Okay To Start A Poultry Farm Or I Should Travel Out / Chinese Supermarket In Abuja Where Nigerians Are Not Allowed Access (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by EBRAHIMJAY(m): 11:04am On Aug 10, 2016
seek advice from those who are already in the business also consider the location.
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by haibe(m): 11:05am On Aug 10, 2016
Just consider the risks associated with both businesses and do a cost and benefit analysis. Also seek advises specifically from experts in both businesses. Make sure you consider a good location too, especially for the supermarket

1 Like

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by Iamsolslim(m): 11:05am On Aug 10, 2016
FIDELITY24:
. I think am also interested, ezefidelis767@gmail.com

pls me too @ hammedosalawudeen@gmail.com. thanks
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by osinachi82: 11:06am On Aug 10, 2016
I did a minisupermaket with same amount in January, store still looks like there's nothing in it. also daily return is not what I anticipated. thought I would make an average 50k sales weekly, not so and am on a road in a good location. competition is also much in that line. since I have taken this road, if I have a million to invest again i'd try the salon.

3 Likes

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by babatunde31: 11:06am On Aug 10, 2016
Standard Salon with a viewing Centre beside it that will also bring good cash, and location matters...

1 Like

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by IDEKEALUMONA(m): 11:07am On Aug 10, 2016
1million naira cannot start a supermarket,the money will finish on accommation and counter. It can hardly start a decent roadside provision store

4 Likes

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by Shome36(m): 11:07am On Aug 10, 2016
It defends on the environment you are in Brother..... I suggest you do SWOT (Strengths Weaknesses Opportunities and Threats) analysis of your environment before venturing into any of the two. may God guide and help you

3 Likes

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by victorazy(m): 11:10am On Aug 10, 2016
N1m has no business in super market unless kiosk but can set up men barbing salon only.
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by udy4real(m): 11:10am On Aug 10, 2016
What did d guy above me say?
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by OBAGADAFFI: 11:14am On Aug 10, 2016
jeffcheddy:

Lol ok thanks. For the record I'll be hiring barbers to do the work while I supervise,cos I don't barb. Please is that a good strategy? I'm just scared of the best choice of biz to go into. And a supermarket sells our daily foods we need to survive, and ofcourse should bring daily income so am kinda perplexed, cos this is gonna be my source of livelihood while I grow. Thanks

You dont need to hire barbers and stylist,

Give the barbers and stylist space in your salon and negotiate how much they are going to pay you weekly.

Warning: this is not the right time to go into supermarkt business, because prices of items are increasing and changing everyday, and consumers are keeping their money.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by babandada: 11:15am On Aug 10, 2016
Pls.. Don't try opening a barber's shop oooo. Mofi ori iya e be.. THEY WILL NEVER TELL YOU THEY BARB HAIR.
Those guys will chop you dry. Except you want to know how to barb and do it yourself. Those barbers are not considerate at all, to them they are doing you favour. THEY will milk you dry, spoil your equipment, ruin your hard earn investment, leave your shop and join another barber shop in the neighborhood. They rugs and all their allays are rugs. Please stay CLEAR.

supermarket is the best. you can monitor that one, with good stock mgt skill you are good to go. you count stocks and reconcile against sales proceeds

2 Likes

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by 400billionman: 11:16am On Aug 10, 2016
jeffcheddy:
Please I need Suggestions on the one that gives daily income no matter what. Thanks!

As someone who has studied over 8 businesses and running about 4, i can tell u that some businesses can swallow your capital gradually until it dissappears completely. Eg. Supermarket. A bad staff can do that for you.

For barbing saloon, after equipping it, you hand it over to a barber who will balance you money on daily or weekly basis. Weekly basis preferably. Location matters...

1 Like

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by Gkemz: 11:16am On Aug 10, 2016
Think twice before venturing into any of these businesses. Try to learn them from those who have been doing it so as to have full and comprehensive knowledge of the trade. The barbing business is good but you have to learn and master how to barb. The supermarket is also good but you still need to attach yourself to an already established ones to understand the rudiments of the business.
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by uzedo1(m): 11:17am On Aug 10, 2016
Its a two way thing. In a Salon business, its not everyday you cut/barb someone's hair, except the place where the salon is located is a busy area but they are sometimes business will just be dormant, and vise-versa. While the supermarket it depends what you sell in it. If you can carry out an indept survey, you will see that the thriving supermarket put in lots of money so as to get more.

However, opening a supermarket will cost more than a million naira. If you can add pharmaceutical product to it, then you will make it.

In addition, since you don't know how to cut hair, the barbers you will employ will or might be lackadaisical towards work, since its not there own business.

In conclusion, location really matters if you want to benefit from any of the aforementioned business.
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by femadesh(m): 11:17am On Aug 10, 2016
Mini importations

Weekly income
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by OBAGADAFFI: 11:20am On Aug 10, 2016
babandada:
Pls.. Don't try opening a barber's shop oooo. Mofi ori iya e be.. THEY WILL NEVER TELL YOU THEY BARB HAIR.
Those guys will chop you dry. Except you want to know how to barb and do it yourself. Those barbers are not considerate at all, to them they are doing you favour. THEY will milk you dry, spoil your equipment, ruin your hard earn investment, leave your shop and join another barber shop in the neighborhood. They rugs and all their allays are rugs. Please stay CLEAR.

supermarket is the best. you can monitor that one, with good stock mgt skill you are good to go. you count stocks and reconcile against sales proceeds

Must Salons i know dont hire barbers and stylist.

The barbers and stylist rent space in the saloon, and bring their equipment to work.

They must pay their rentals weekly whether they work or not.

3 Likes

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by yohannazack(m): 11:22am On Aug 10, 2016
Go for salon, its pays better. There's a way you can run the business that you have little or nothing to be scared of. You can call 08098192390 for further enquiry

1 Like

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by Bamz(m): 11:24am On Aug 10, 2016
haibe:
Just consider the risks associated with both businesses and do a cost and benefit analysis. Also seek advises specifically from experts in both businesses. Make sure you consider a good location too, especially for the supermarket

Spoken like a true project manager.

The CBA may include analysis of how the ROI would be in future years. This will be gotten from historical information provided by SMEs in the business.

1 Like

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by bellville: 11:24am On Aug 10, 2016
Please learn how to barb. You should learn in about 3 months max.
jeffcheddy:

Lol ok thanks. For the record I'll be hiring barbers to do the work while I supervise, cos I don't barb. Please is that a good strategy? I'm just scared of the best choice of biz to go into. And a supermarket sells our daily foods we need to survive, and ofcourse should bring daily income so am kinda perplexed, cos this is gonna be my source of livelihood while I grow. Thanks

1 Like

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by chimoskyg(m): 11:24am On Aug 10, 2016
jeffcheddy:

Lol ok thanks. For the record I'll be hiring barbers to do the work while I supervise, cos I don't barb. Please is that a good strategy? I'm just scared of the best choice of biz to go into. And a supermarket sells our daily foods we need to survive, and ofcourse should bring daily income so am kinda perplexed, cos this is gonna be my source of livelihood while I grow. Thanks

You have to know how to barb oo or they will toy around wit the buz. Am on same too
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by Bamz(m): 11:29am On Aug 10, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Must Salons i know dont hire barbers and stylist.

The barbers and stylist rent space in the saloon, and bring their equipment to work.

They must pay their rentals weekly whether they work or not.

This is a good idea as well similar to what's obtainable at Next, Abule Oja, Lagos but the op needs to get a big space for this.
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by OBAGADAFFI: 11:33am On Aug 10, 2016
jeffcheddy:
Please I need Suggestions on the one that gives daily income no matter what. Thanks!

As prices of goods are rising everyday the to forex issues, and government policies, it will be dangerous run supermarket business.

Go for saloon business.

Don't employ barbers and stylist, just furnish and get regular electricity(GEN).

Allow these barbers and stylist rent a space in your salon and must pay you weekly fixed fee, irrespective of how they work.

Its advisable to get an Experienced/Trustworthy barber and stylist to supervise them.

2 Likes

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by OBAGADAFFI: 11:39am On Aug 10, 2016
Bamz:

This is a good idea as well similar to what's obtainable at Next, Abule Oja, Lagos but the op needs to get a big space for this.

It's a common trend all over Lagos.

Most of these barbers and stylist just need space, which any smart entrepreneur can provide.

The same model is used in the Movie: The barbers shop 3

3 Likes

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by skydancer: 11:39am On Aug 10, 2016
I will tell you a secret.

If you want high profit margins, go into fertilizer productions business. You can start a clean one with 1m and be making up to 700k profit/month within your 6th month.

1 Like

Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by boykas(m): 11:40am On Aug 10, 2016
prepees:
I wld tell u. I run a barbers shop buh smal so if u wish barbers shop. I cld giv u hint on hw to do it. Biger

Am interested also
Kasaliahmed13@yahoo.co.uk
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by femi4: 11:42am On Aug 10, 2016
jeffcheddy:

Supermarket food will have to compete with local market price. Also remember that goods at the supermarket do have expiring date
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by Eazybay(m): 11:43am On Aug 10, 2016
You can deal in shoes and bags. If you are serious and honest you would make a NAME for urself. Check my signature
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by Ihavespoken: 11:43am On Aug 10, 2016
This depends on your ability and skill. A salon is open for income from 12pm to 10 pm ie 10 hours a day while supermarket run from 8am to 9pm Ie 13 hours a day depending on location.
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by careercrew1: 11:47am On Aug 10, 2016
jeffcheddy:
Hello Jeff, I have written a similar article on businesses you can start with almost same amount.

Read here: www.careercrew..com/2016/06/5-businesses-you-can-start-with-just.html?m=0

You can also follow me on twitter for more info on how to run your business and career development. ..I follow back too.. Check my profile for my twitter handle.
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by LaserFocus: 11:47am On Aug 10, 2016
jeffcheddy:

SUPERMARKET please and you have already stated the reason why. It offers people's daily needs and you're sure to sell every single day. Just get a good location and make sure you stock up continuously.
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by kucky: 11:47am On Aug 10, 2016
olabamiji09:
. I am also interested, planning to av something in support of fishing bus dat I av mind olabamijiakinwale09@gmail.com
l
Re: A Medium Sized Supermarket Or A Standard Men's Salon? My Budget Is 1M by fuke(m): 11:48am On Aug 10, 2016
Im is too small for a supermarket with the cost
of goods unless you are thinking of a corner shop.

As for saloon, where are you establishing, how much per head, then what are you adding again.

Go learn the trade first and stay there always. People can be smart

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Naira Overvalued By 20%, Says IMF / Banks May Deny 14.6 Million Customers Services By Wednesday / External Reserves Hit Two-week Low As Naira Weakens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.