Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,410 members, 7,812,215 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

The Theory Of The "Self-made Man" - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Theory Of The "Self-made Man" (376 Views)

Meet The Richest Self Made Woman On Earth That Makes Glass Screens For Iphones / 15 Girls Benefit From ‘i’d Rather Be Self Made’ Project / Habit Of Self-made Millionaires That Keeps You From Being Rich (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Theory Of The "Self-made Man" by 0ubenji(m): 7:26am On Aug 08, 2016
Do you view yourself as a self-made man or woman?
If you do, you may want to take another look in the mirror.
What’s wrong with the “self-made” theory?
Everything!
If your pride, ego, arrogance, insecurity, or ignorance keeps you from recognizing the contributions of others, then it’s time for a wake-up call. If your delusions of grandeur is overwhelming your humility. I'd advise you do some introspection.

Today’s “leadership” culture seems to encourage
personal glorification above all else.
Here’s the thing "real leaders don’t take credit, they give it!"
While I take complete responsibility for all my failures and shortcomings, I take very little credit for my own success. Virtually all of the good things that have happened to me over the years have been the result of the collaborative efforts of many. I have found
most mature and real leadership-minded people tend to share this perspective.
Leadership isn’t about self-serving behaviors; it’s about service beyond self.

It’s not about you, and when it becomes about you, trouble
is not too far away.

I don’t know about you, but I absolutely reject all the “self-
made man” propaganda floating around business circles as
patently false. The myth of the self-made person is so
ridiculous that you even see oppportunists brandishing their luck with the term.
Enter the media; journalists and publicists have made legends of out of success stories like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Aliko Dangote, Mark Zuckerberg and a host of other inspirational stories.
While I don’t question for a moment the legendary
success of the aforementioned, I do question whether their acclaimed success was solely a matter of “self.”
Behind every success are significant investments and contributions by some if not all of the following people: family, friends, associates, protagonists, antagonists, advisors, teachers, authors, mentors, coaches, and the list could goes on.
I wonder then, why people decieve themselves with the "self-made" man theory.

Other than in a Rambo movie, there is no such thing as a "1-man army". Realizing that you need help is a sign of leadership maturity,
and a good indicator that you're ready to achieve set goals, realistically. You need to learn to operate beyond the limitations of your own personal bubble of "I'll make it on my own" and make yourself easy to help.
As far as Nigeria of today is concerned, screaming "self-made" is highly indicative of an illegit source of wealth; more often than not.
Re: The Theory Of The "Self-made Man" by abdeiz(m): 8:08am On Aug 08, 2016
Good read

(1) (Reply)

Most Nigerian Bosses Hardly Encourage Workers, Only Shout When Things Go Wrong / Get Trained / Call 08165566633 For Your ACCA Study Text

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.