Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective (1061 Views)

My Regretfull Journey To Europe ( How It All Started ) / Moving Back To Nigeria From USA / Ebola: FG, Lagos Condemn Airline For Flying Corpse To Nigeria From Congo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by Nobody: 3:52am On Aug 09, 2016
I traveled to Nigeria December 2015 for adventure, love, and to gain a new experience. It was the first time for me leaving the U.S. but ironically I didn't feel nervous. Instead, I felt excited and couldn't wait to put my feet on the Motherland. I remember boarding the plane at JFK airport not realizing the long travel time it would take for me to get to my connecting flight in Istanbul Turkey...9 hours and 45 minutes! I don't think the time difference sunk in until I looked at the tv screen in front near the restrooms and I saw our plane crossing the Atlantic Ocean. shocked

Once I arrived in Turkey, I felt a bit confused. Majority of the signs were in Turkish with some English translation, yet knowing what gate to pick up my flight was difficult. Every Turkish airline worker I spoke to either didn't speak English or just said, "I'm not sure." By the grace of God, I found my gate and boarded the place with no problems. As an English as a Second Language ( ESL ) teacher, I understand the frustration my adult students have in communicating in English here in the states. I felt like those students while I was in Turkey.

So I arrive in Lagos a day after I left New York. I was greeted by my then boyfriend and felt right at home. I couldn't believe I was in Lagos, Nigeria! From that moment on, I had the time of my life! I saw so many cool things, met many wonderful and welcoming people, I ate delicious food (I love amala, moi moi and the spiced fish...and of course egusi soup!) , and danced so much. I must say, the music in Nigeria is AWESOME!!!

The moving part to this trip was living like a Nigerian. I remember telling my boyfriend that although I'm an American, I don't want no special treatment. I want to experience Nigerian culture to the fullest. I am proud that I had the chance to speak some Yoruba, dress in native wear which is so beautiful it makes me feel like a queen, and show respect to the elders by kneeling when greeting them.

My ancestry is Nigerian so going to Nigeria was very personal to me, and it changed my life in such a way that I want to return. It has inspired me to visit more countries particularly in Africa and across the globe. Part of my profession is travel and I love meeting people of different cultures and backgrounds. I learned so much during my time in Nigeria. I returned shortly after New Years in January 2016, but I carry Naija in my heart even here in the U.S.

Thanks for reading smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by HungerBAD: 3:54am On Aug 09, 2016
You are welcome.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Nigetia,and went back to the US with a good impression about Nigeria.

A College Educated White Colleague,in one of the Southern States asked me innocently,if we use paper currency in Africa.

I did not know if he was being racist,ignorant,mean or just really did not know. A Ghanaian-American with us got really upset about the question.

I live in the Deep South,where the ignorance of most Americans will shock anybody,especially the ignorance of these White Country folks.

The number one question I get asked a lot is Do everybody in Africa have AIDS? and the second question is are you from Jamaica?

I wish more Americans can travel to Africa,instead of watching Africa and making impressions about us,from the National Geographic Station or the Discovery Television.

To the Joker below me. Has it ever occurred to you that not everyone lives in Nigeria?and that they have different time zones?

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by Nobody: 3:56am On Aug 09, 2016
HungerBAD:
Following
3:54am chai bros u lawma?
Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by Jostico: 4:03am On Aug 09, 2016
Sleep but y
Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by mynduu44: 4:17am On Aug 09, 2016
Mummy, u still dey do boy friend thing at this ur Ogwugwu Oge time

Ndi Amelica gba oku.

Well, am Happy u ended ur story without saying u were scammed....

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by Nobody: 4:21am On Aug 09, 2016
Yes at the time of my trip to Nigeria I had a boyfriend but sadly things didn't work out. Yet I don't regret anything because he was a gentleman and showed me a great time. So as of now I am single smiley As for the "scam" thing, I was warned all about that prior and during my trip but thankfully I was in good hands and all the brothers and sisters (friends) protected me and made me feel at home. For my first international experience, it was wonderful. I hope to do it again soon wink

Thanks for reading my post. I'm still new here to Naira land smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by Nobody: 4:26am On Aug 09, 2016
HungerBAD

I agree with you. I think there's a bad depiction of Nigeria and Africa in general here on the Western side of the world based on ignorance and what we see on media. But all the things I was told I should be fearful of was so not the case when I was in Nigeria. In fact, I think it's a beautiful country. I got many questions about America and my views on Nigeria. Many were surprised by how much I loved being there and my wish to return. I made a promise to my friends there that when I return home I will talk about my experience in Nigeria and the POSITIVE, BEAUTIFUL aspects to the country and how LOVING the people were to me and in general. So I am proud to say I've been there.

Thanks for reading and replying to my post smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by Nobody: 4:28am On Aug 09, 2016
I know there was a question about time zones...

Well I live in New York, USA so there's a 5 hour time difference. It's 11:27 pm here.

And no I'm not sleepy yet...I'm a night owl wink

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by Babs612000(m): 4:45am On Aug 09, 2016
SunladyD:
Yes at the time of my trip to Nigeria I had a boyfriend but sadly things didn't work out. Yet I don't regret anything because he was a gentleman and showed me a great time. So as of now I am single smiley As for the "scam" thing, I was warned all about that prior and during my trip but thankfully I was in good hands and all the brothers and sisters (friends) protected me and made me feel at home. For my first international experience, it was wonderful. I hope to do it again soon wink

Thanks for reading my post. I'm still new here to Naira land smiley
Thanks for posting your experience of ours great country in fact l am going this night with my two boys of 20 & 17 that has NEVER being to Nigeria they can not wait for their travelling to see how Nigeria looks like.
I hope they will have a lovely times down there if the electricity board will give us light most of the time.

3 Likes

Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by Nobody: 4:53am On Aug 09, 2016
Hi Babs,

Have a great trip! Yes keep in mind that "lights out" isn't just a term you will hear people say...it's something to expect as the electricity will go out at random and it can last all day or for a few minutes. Carry a flashlight or get a flashlight app on your phone. It's a life saver believe me! You and your boys are going to have a blast! Take in all the goodies Nigeria has to offer and don't forget to enjoy the delicious food and music! smiley

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by Babs612000(m): 5:00am On Aug 09, 2016
SunladyD:
Hi Babs,

Have a great trip! Yes keep in mind that "lights out" isn't just a term you will hear people say...it's something to expect as the electricity will go out at random and it can last all day or for a few minutes. Carry a flashlight or get a flashlight app on your phone. It's a life saver believe me! You and your boys are going to have a blast! Take in all the goodies Nigeria has to offer and don't forget to enjoy the delicious food and music! smiley
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by HungerBAD: 5:04am On Aug 09, 2016
Babs612000:

Thanks for posting your experience of ours great country in fact l am going this night with my two boys of 20 & 17 that has NEVER being to Nigeria they can not wait for their travelling to see how Nigeria looks like.
I hope they will have a lovely times down there if the electricity board will give us light most of the time.

20 and 17 never been home?this is serious. My Barber here is,I think 34 yrs old.

Both parents from Enugu. He has never been home and really don't want to go home.

One day out of curiosity,I asked him if his mom is an American(American women are notorious for never letting their kids out of the US)and he said both parents from Enugu.

Just to be sure,I asked him are both parents still married?he said yes. I asked him that question,because sometimes when parents are going through a custody fight,one party usually don't trust the other to travel with the kid.

But my Barber is now an adult,and does not in anyway think like a Nigerian. He told me, that most people that his family knows that went to Africa either got killed or were kidnapped.

Told him he was lying.

Parents should please endeavor from an early age,to start bringing their kids home to learn our cultures.

Davido and Banky W are a living examples,of Americans bred in Nigeria doing well.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Nigeria From An American Perspective by kossyablaze(m): 5:53am On Aug 09, 2016
Wetin u buy for the boys na undecided

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking / Five Must-see Statues In Lagos / Canada Or Australia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.