Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? (4278 Views)

Best App For Creating Animated Videos? / 5 Nigerian Animated Videos You Need To See / Obika3. Hillarious Animated Comedy By A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by felixchip(m): 10:52am On Aug 11, 2016
prof800:
nijabazaar your "WHY" is so scarry!
sad sad sad sad
It is well.

felixchip I see you. Iwotago? You are there! grin

I troway Salute, my Oga.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 11, 2016
julimax:
All this talk about we not good enough yet are just bubble bursting. We are never going to be at the same level with Hollywood even if we wait for another 10-20 years. Our Nollywood films are not as good as Hollywood but they sell all over africa. Why? Cos they tell our stories our way and our people relate to it better. Now I know we've got loads of African folk tales and myths we would love to see animated. We don't need to be as good as hollywood to start something. All we just need is that first break.

@julimax we're counting on guys like you.Well done bruv.More power to your hustle bro
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 11, 2016
If only we would all throw away our overbloated egos and come together, produce with what skillsets we have now.

Stop beefin guys....takes one no were. Though Micheangelo and Da vinci beefed like mad :p

So did Einstein and Niels Bohr :p
but lets do somethang, it dont have to be hollywood.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 11, 2016
kazuna:
If only we would all throw away our overbloated egos and come together, produce with what skillsets we have now.

Stop beefin guys....takes one no were. Though Micheangelo and Da vinci beefed like mad :p

So did Einstein and Niels Bohr :p
but lets do somethang, it dont have to be hollywood.

I agree brother.Tme is of the essence.Damn i must come out with my production within the next 5 years i must....

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by reidkrugger(m): 12:18pm On Aug 13, 2016
On well animated films, animators spend a day producin 5secs of animation n may depend on factors like, numba of xters n complexity of moves. For someothrs it might b slightly less or more. Plus dz guys might also work in units. If u r talkin quality wi delivery time, that's d way to go. But if u talking some 2d stuff dat rarely moves but tells d story all dsame then u might not need many animators e.g the "narutos, justice league n x-men cartoon series etc". Plus i dnt think u suppose studios like dreamworks n pixar practicing ds r morons.
So @ ds junction, d question really is... Can naija animators create an animation film? The answer to dat would b yes, they can. But once d term blockbuster sets in, the answer becomes NO. Bcuz d latter is associated primarily with BIG SPENDINGS n not just abt success. Plus, we r not dat skilled yet n d ones wi dz skillz r down in numbers. Heck, i even have a thread similar to dz one here on ds section.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by OKX(m): 2:19pm On Aug 13, 2016
For a movie to b termed a blockbuster, it must have blown something away...either a large production budget or/and large n successful profits.

Boruto: Naruto the Movie and its predecessor, Last: Naruto the Movie were both Japanese blockbusters.

Several low budget movies became blockbusters because of their success.

Paranormal Activity had a 15000 dollar budget but became a blockbuster earning193 million dollars worldwide.
The original Mad Max, Rocky, The Blair Witch Project were all low budget blockbusters.

That the term is used commonly for large budget movies does not mean large budget is a prerequisite.

The key to any successful blockbuster is almost always the story.
Nollywood, Telemundos etc have endured, largely because some people relate to the stories, not because of excellent acting or movie making ability.

My opinion is that the first animated Nigerian blockbuster will be the first with a popular and acceptable storyline and not necessarily a high budget or even great animation quality.

2 Likes

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 13, 2016
OKX:
For a movie to b termed a blockbuster, it must have blown something away...either a large production budget or/and large n successful profits.

Boruto: Naruto the Movie and its predecessor, Last: Naruto the Movie were both Japanese blockbusters.

Several low budget movies became blockbusters because of their success.

Paranormal Activity had a 15000 dollar budget but became a blockbuster earning193 million dollars worldwide.
The original Mad Max, Rocky, The Blair Witch Project were all low budget blockbusters.

That the term is used commonly for large budget movies does not mean large budget is a prerequisite.

The key to any successful blockbuster is almost always the story.
Nollywood, Telemundos etc have endured, largely because some people relate to the stories, not because of excellent acting or movie making ability.

My opinion is that the first animated Nigerian blockbuster will be the first with a popular and acceptable storyline and not necessarily a high budget or even great animation quality.

@OKK excellent input bro.The sequels to Boruto and Naruto the last movies,i did some research on them and found they ammassed over 100m each..you spoke well.God help us..

I believe many of us agree on a commonality in our views.

1.High budget is not a pre-requisite for either a successful movie or block buster

2. Story line can affect turnout.

You mentioned paranormal,it's an excellent examle low budget massive turnout though i thought it was wack..Lol..

Nice one..
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by Nobody: 8:27am On Dec 06, 2016
May our wishes on this thread, our dreams of setting the trend....come through sometime next year.

felixchip, nijabazaar, donemmx, julimax, jereal, bukkiThery, supersystems,wilsonreuben,jjamani,shimish,reidkrugger.

you are all fab...
May we live our dreams.

Merry xmas....its too early....i know

2 Likes

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 06, 2016
kazuna:
May our wishes on this thread, our dreams of setting the trend....come through sometime next year.

felixchip, nijabazaar, donemmx, julimax, jereal, bukkiThery, supersystems,wilsonreuben,jjamani,shimish,reidkrugger.

you are all fab...
May we live our dreams.

Merry xmas....its too early....i know

Someday we will get there. Jolly Christmas to you too.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by nzemkolo(m): 10:50am On May 30, 2018
nijabazaar:

You can outsource rendering to Farms in finland. Infact research indicate Finland had the cheapest rendering farms in the world....so Nepa wont be an issue.

There are new rendering options producers can explore. Check my post 8n animated advert workflow.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Make Animated Blockbusters? Are We That Lazy? by Mulatta(m): 1:57pm On Apr 06, 2019
nijabazaar:
The season’s biggest hit, Finding Dory, while surprise smash The Secret Life of Pets all approached $900 million dollars....That these hits are animated, along with Zootopia’ huge $1bn take in March, indicate that children remain the most reliable demographic when it comes to film, why then is Nollywood not cashing in.

Animation is a huge money spinner and yet no producer wants to venture into it. WHY?

There are talented animators, modellers and riggers in Nigeria even on NL sef, i see them aplenty. why cant they be harnessed?
Rendering it is the issue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Logo Designer Wanted / Is This The Naija At 50 Logo? / Amazing Pictures Of Nature, People, Animals And Random Objects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.